Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Did you kitbash these? I love them.

A bit. The sarge is using a chest piece from the 2009 BA upgrade kit, sanguinary guard arms and the rest are mk5. The "slambo" guy just has an axe from the older assault marine sprue. The rest should be the base mk5 kit but I think I swapped some of the legs from the non-assault marine mk5 kit to make them more dynamic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SkyeAuroline posted:

From some cursory searching & memory:
World Eaters started to change over during the Shadow Crusade.
Thousand Sons have multiple conflicting sources for when their scheme changed, the most recent one I'm aware of is that it was simultaneous with the Rubric.
Death Guard armor isn't repainted, it's just that gross, so after Typhus pulls his poo poo.
I have no clue when the Emperor's Children changed theirs over.

Happy to be corrected if I'm remembering any of these wrong.

Liber Hereticus notes that at least when it comes to vehicles, post-Istvaan black started to be an increasingly common colour as they ran out of the typical purple pigment (and salvaged various stuff from the battlefields of Istvaan).

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Yvonmukluk posted:

Liber Hereticus notes that at least when it comes to vehicles, post-Istvaan black started to be an increasingly common colour as they ran out of the typical purple pigment (and salvaged various stuff from the battlefields of Istvaan).

This does seem to be the intention. All purple -> Black with purple highlights because they can't source enough of the purple paint anymore to go all purple -> [ten thousand year interlude] -> Black with pink highlights.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Stephenls posted:

This does seem to be the intention. All purple -> Black with purple highlights because they can't source enough of the purple paint anymore to go all purple -> [ten thousand year interlude] -> Black with pink highlights.

It also sets up the Death Eagles, since it notes that they kept their original colours (and that white was a common colour used in loyalist detachments). So since they were probably also running out of purple paint, they'd wind up in the black-and-white colours they have as a chapter post-heresy.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Much like the tragedy of the Salamanders for some reason never properly rebuilding over 10,000 years the Emperor's Children could never source enough purple paint in the Eye.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Much like the tragedy of the Salamanders for some reason never properly rebuilding over 10,000 years the Emperor's Children could never source enough purple paint in the Eye.

I mean they probably could, but they prefer the eye-searing pink. Or leopard-print. I mean there's probably some in the classic purple (I imagine Bile's entourage, perhaps if they're not on Slaanesh's bullshit?)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Praetor kitbashin' :snoop:

First made my actual praetor look a good bit more Alpha Legion-y

And then converted the other one to a Master of Signals

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Good poo poo, I'm going AL too but I don't know what to do with the 2nd guy

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Here's my 1st praetor kitbash, going for a sea raider vibe

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Speaking of command unit kitbashes: found this guy while cleaning out my boxes of old stuff, along with a good 15+ guys worth of Mark IV parts, which is... reassuring. I have no idea what to use this dude for. Siege Breaker is my best bet right now, even if the power fist is kind of unfitting I guess. Not really any other stuff that doesn't look weird with the cloak and allows a power fist... Thoughts? (I can put pretty much anything in the other hand, found the original bolter that broke off though.)

Maybe I'll do some test models and see if I want to come back in the interim.

e: what the gently caress I found 25 complete tactical marines' worth of parts, and a shitload of extra parts, just sitting in another box. including several of my truescale projects that predate primaris releases. how long have these been here???

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 5, 2022

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Ristolaz posted:

Here's my 1st praetor kitbash, going for a sea raider vibe

This is rad

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean they probably could, but they prefer the eye-searing pink. Or leopard-print. I mean there's probably some in the classic purple (I imagine Bile's entourage, perhaps if they're not on Slaanesh's bullshit?)

There's a short story where Eidolon and the Kakophoni are fighting some other EC and get acid dumped on them that turns their purple bright pink. They think it's rad and start chugging the acid

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

All I have is Fafnir Rann, but oh yes do I plan to collect the 7th for HH too... Because I love torturing myself with yet more yellow.

Cpt Soban fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 5, 2022

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Angel Exterminatus, I believe, had a passage of the Iron Warriors reacting to the new, hedonistic Emperor's Children. Aside from lacking full-on mutations and the Eightfold Star, they were basically what we think of nowadays as Chaos Marines, mutilation and all - there was even a banner with a sigil that looks suspiciously like that of She-Who-Thirsts.

(And of course, this discussion ignores the Sons of Horus and the Word Bearers, the former having at least the possessed Luperci and the latter being pretty much all-in.)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well if we are posting Praetor conversions I have two. Also converted up a squad of Despoilers for my Word Bearers (just need to raid my bits box for two more pistols)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Stephenls posted:

When did 1k Sons switch from the dark red to blue, and is there a reason for it, or was it just "drat it Ahriman, your Rubric also spray painted our armor!"?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Randalor posted:

When did 1k Sons switch from the dark red to blue, and is there a reason for it, or was it just "drat it Ahriman, your Rubric also spray painted our armor!"?

That's been in flux for a while now, and I'm not sure a definitive answer currently exists.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Broken Record Talk posted:

That's been in flux for a while now, and I'm not sure a definitive answer currently exists.

So what you're saying is "find an iridescent red/blue paint for their armor and blame it on the warp"?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
All this space magic in the eye and they can't turn their armor purple? pfft

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Randalor posted:

So what you're saying is "find an iridescent red/blue paint for their armor and blame it on the warp"?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

I've got an Ahriman model I'm working on for a friend, that's kitbashed using the 30k and 40k kits, and I'm planning on painting it mid-transition, with a glowing line of "magic warp bullshit" dividing the two sections.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
They don't get to the eye until being chased there after the siege of Terra, before that they just have to make do with whatever periwinkle, violet, or lavender they can scavenge.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Look at this square who'd formulate paint instead of rendering humans into :catdrugs:.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Randalor posted:

From what I remember it seems that this happened after the casting of the Rubric when the remaining sorcerers began splitting up the Rubricae and forming their own sub factions. It's almost like the various sorcerors ended up treating their Rubricae like they just watched Fast and the Furious and caught the customization bug.

In the Ahriman novels, at one point Aheiman steals some Rubricae from another sorcerer and the ones he steals are still in the original red scheme, while Ahriman's are blue.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
ALL. IS. DUST.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

jadebullet posted:

In the Ahriman novels, at one point Aheiman steals some Rubricae from another sorcerer and the ones he steals are still in the original red scheme, while Ahriman's are blue.

Quite rude treating your former Battle Brothers like Pokemon.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Quite rude treating your former Battle Brothers like Pokemon.

Hell, Abbadon does that to entire Legions/battle groups. "I choose you, Red Corsairs!"

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JcDent posted:

Please, sirs. What are trap units/options for a newbie to avoid so as not to sour themselves on a new game?

Honestly not much this edition (ignoring the .pdf which has blatently broken poo poo). Only trap core units are the pathfinder and, arguably, the command rhino. Vindicators with cannons are not good, but they're also not without some useful edge cases

moths
Aug 25, 2004

What about the Emperor's Children Sun Killers? Twenty beautiful battlebros with lascannons seems like a great way to lose 20 lascannons.

E: oh ya, ok ignoring the PDF

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

20 lascannons will kill anything they look at though

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I might have drunkenly bought Samus last night. Here's hoping he's actually good because drat that model is cool and running a Word Bearers demon summoning list sou da fun.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I was thrown for a loop for a few seconds and wondered if I wasn't in the right thread. My first thought when hearing 'Samus' is the one from Metroid.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Floppychop posted:

I was thrown for a loop for a few seconds and wondered if I wasn't in the right thread. My first thought when hearing 'Samus' is the one from Metroid.

You’re not the only one haha

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

jadebullet posted:

So I might have drunkenly bought Samus last night. Here's hoping he's actually good because drat that model is cool and running a Word Bearers demon summoning list sou da fun.

Samus is here, baby

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

That is a handsome Dreadnought

Ha!

I've been making him some friends:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

moths posted:

What about the Emperor's Children Sun Killers? Twenty beautiful battlebros with lascannons seems like a great way to lose 20 lascannons.

They're actually pretty good my dude. PDF has good stuff in it, but also poorly thought out stuff like attack bikes. The quality is all over

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Suggesting knowledgeable goons do a rating of PDF stuff?

Granted, that's a shitton of entries to sift thru...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Twenty dudes with vulkite culverins seems like a hilarious way to use all these Mk6 bodies, but I don't think they'd fit in the free trench.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

moths posted:

They can return fire back with 20 lascannons.. whatever shoots them will kill itself. They're pretty good actually. Just a good chunk of the PDF is overcosted.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
The PDFs seems pretty evenly split between units that are bonkers undercosted, or a bit overcosted, with a very narrow band of stuff in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I love the PDF