Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

stephenthinkpad posted:

You don't need to take out your thinkpad and ipad and keys and place them in different motherfucking plastic trays. And then franticly pack them back into your carryon bag.

loving heaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The situation in Sri Lanka sounds pretty bad. Crop failures, serious fuel shortages, most infrastructure paralyzed. I've been reading that the current government banned foreign fertilizer imports, which made them lose food self-sufficiency, as well as cutting taxes and building vanity projects. Anyone have good articles to recommend about the current crisis and the most likely path forward?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I love the kind of art that could probably kill a person.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I do think most of the issue with flights is just space and feeling like you can't escape the confines of either your seat or whatever space is by the bathroom. In contrast, being able to go for a walk to the dining car and hanging out there a bit does break everything up a lot.

Also, flights have really gone up with the spike in oil prices. I think I would rather just spend an hour or two more in total (not to mention how many ridiculous fees there are nowadays).

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
On a train ordinary people can book private compartments and enjoy a privilege only reserved for oligarchs in aeroplanes

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/business/status/1544010918933184513?s=20&t=gqI4QakeLoYa3mtckTZR4g

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

gently caress yeah

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

I do think most of the issue with flights is just space and feeling like you can't escape the confines of either your seat or whatever space is by the bathroom. In contrast, being able to go for a walk to the dining car and hanging out there a bit does break everything up a lot.

definitely this. I'd ride a train everywhere if I could

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Antonymous posted:

25 years ago Hong Kong was 20% of China's GDP and one of the most important economic and cultural cities in asia.

Now its "just some city" (still very wealthy but not #1) and there is a lot of anxiety around this incredible loss of influence.

When I hear about HK in the west it gives me the same feeling as the US in afghanistan. What does a win look like? What does the hong kong protestors winning look like? What does the USA winning in Afghanistan look like?

the funniest part is, they got a win. the hk government tabled the extradition bill, exactly like they wanted in the initial days of the protests, but because "five demands not one less" had become the meme, nobody had any discipline or plan of action and their "friends" in the us and uk kept egging them on a fringe minority kept escalating long past the point of coherence for any ordinary person casually following these events. the real moment at which it was clear they'd lost the plot is when they starting bombing loving hospitals during the pandemic in protest of mainlanders being allowed in the city or some equally stupid grievance

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i like the yoshimi guy on twitter even if he's somewhat annoying because he often writes to an audience of "china watchers" (i think... like trying to reason them into reality) but his article on the HK protests was pretty good as an example of an instant-gratification internet protest movement becoming unmoored from reality.

https://lateralthinkingtechnology.w...ntion-politics/

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Antonymous posted:

being on a train is so much more relaxing than an airplane idk why. You can walk around more and when it stops at a station you can get off the vehicle for a minute or two. airplanes make me tense. maybe I have a phobia

its the lovely legroom.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

R. Guyovich posted:

the funniest part is, they got a win. the hk government tabled the extradition bill, exactly like they wanted in the initial days of the protests, but because "five demands not one less" had become the meme, nobody had any discipline or plan of action and their "friends" in the us and uk kept egging them on a fringe minority kept escalating long past the point of coherence for any ordinary person casually following these events. the real moment at which it was clear they'd lost the plot is when they starting bombing loving hospitals during the pandemic in protest of mainlanders being allowed in the city or some equally stupid grievance

Yea the HK situation is really funny because they 100% got what they wanted with their stupid 'HOW DARE THE MAINLAND WANT TO TRY SOMEONE WHO MURDERED HIS WIFE IN A MAINLAND CITY WHERE HE DID THE CRIME!!!!' protests, people still loving talk about HK like it's some independent nation with 'sovereignty' China was 'encroaching on'.

Then they kept getting western money and support to keep 'standing up to China' so they started doing just insane poo poo like setting hospitals on fire because a 'mainlander' bringing vaccines over is 'Chinese medical experiments'.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Chamale posted:

The situation in Sri Lanka sounds pretty bad. Crop failures, serious fuel shortages, most infrastructure paralyzed. I've been reading that the current government banned foreign fertilizer imports, which made them lose food self-sufficiency, as well as cutting taxes and building vanity projects. Anyone have good articles to recommend about the current crisis and the most likely path forward?

It wasn't foreign fertilizer. It was synthetic fertilizer, I.e. the only reason we can feed more than 2 billion people today.

The reason it was banned had a lot to do with Western organic industry lobbyists hoping to set a precedent.

Mission successful.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MFA_China/status/1544334740873936898?s=20&t=uPV99wduhcM_8cGi4jTIQw

China is doing "what-aboutism."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i hope China does targeted sanctions against the leaders of the Ohio regime

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

President Xi please sanction companies associated with police brutality

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1544317344138289162

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Yea the HK situation is really funny because they 100% got what they wanted with their stupid 'HOW DARE THE MAINLAND WANT TO TRY SOMEONE WHO MURDERED HIS WIFE IN A MAINLAND CITY WHERE HE DID THE CRIME!!!!' protests, people still loving talk about HK like it's some independent nation with 'sovereignty' China was 'encroaching on'.

Then they kept getting western money and support to keep 'standing up to China' so they started doing just insane poo poo like setting hospitals on fire because a 'mainlander' bringing vaccines over is 'Chinese medical experiments'.

i thought the extradition was to taiwan? or am i mixing up the literal axe murderers that the hong kong protesters like to stan for

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Can’t believe an agency founded as daycare for Nazi rocket scientists would see its mission as one of establishing and maintaining supremacy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/jilevin/status/1544348095835693060

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

google, show me the platonic ideal for English noncery

https://twitter.com/kamenism/status/1544087709949370368

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

She's certainly not at wimbledon.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

She's certainly not at wimbledon.

best to avoid that diseased garbage fire of a nation for her own health.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Some Guy TT posted:

i thought the extradition was to taiwan? or am i mixing up the literal axe murderers that the hong kong protesters like to stan for

I think there were a couple cases that got lumped in? I think the dude who hacked up a lady was Taiwan yea, maybe the finance dude who the mainland wanted was the one who just beat the poo poo out of his wife?

Real cool lines in the sand all around!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

GlassEye-Boy posted:

best to avoid that diseased garbage fire of a nation for her own health.

That whole tournament rocks, they kicked out all the Russian and Belorussian players which means some of the best players in the world can no longer play.

Medvedev is ranked #1 in the world, and can't play in one of the most prolific tennis tournaments. Lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dumbass tennis organization banning the only 2 players i root for -_-

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

I loving hope china steals the american flag, wipes armstrongs boot print and set a historic 'First time a human takes a huge poo poo on a stomped out american flag on the moon'

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

dumbass tennis organization banning the only 2 players i root for -_-

fide banned karjakin for 6 months too and caused him to miss the candidates lol

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

I loving hope china steals the american flag, wipes armstrongs boot print and set a historic 'First time a human takes a huge poo poo on a stomped out american flag on the moon'
Pretty sure the sun has already turned that flag into a white featureless rag, if the various radiation bombardments haven't desintegrated it completely

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

That whole tournament rocks, they kicked out all the Russian and Belorussian players which means some of the best players in the world can no longer play.

Medvedev is ranked #1 in the world, and can't play in one of the most prolific tennis tournaments. Lol

ATP & WTA took away Wimbledon's points this year because of that

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mawarannahr posted:

Can’t believe an agency founded as daycare for Nazi rocket scientists would see its mission as one of establishing and maintaining supremacy

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The extradition case is worse than you think. HK guy killed his HK pregnant girlfriend in Taiwan and ran back to HK.

HK law can't prosecute him because HK law doesn't cover crime happen outside of HK. The extradition bill was to fix this and fix the extradition law between mainland and HK. Then the guy had a change of heart and willing to go to Taiwan himself with a priest. But the Taiwanese DPP government refused to take him.

This is not a problem under mainland law because mainland does prosecute major crimes committed by Chinese citizens outside of China.

So unless People's Congress make amendment changes to the HK Basic Law a couple decades down the road, don't expect the gf killed does time over it.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Jul 5, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

stephenthinkpad posted:

The extradition case is worse than you think. HK guy killed his HK pregnant girlfriend in Taiwan and ran back to HK.

HK law can't prosecute him because HK law doesn't cover crime happen outside of HK. The extradition bill was to fix this and fix the extradition law between mainland and HK. Then the guy had a change of heart and willing to go to Taiwan himself with a priest. But the Taiwanese DPP government refused to take him.

This is not a problem under mainland law because mainland does prosecute major crimes convinced by Chinese citizens outside of China.

So unless People's Congress make amendment changes to the HK Basic Law a couple decades down the road, don't expect the gf killed does time over it.

why did Taiwan refuse him? and how would the mainland prosecute the case without access to evidence? I guess the dude confessed at some point

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

indigi posted:

why did Taiwan refuse him? and how would the mainland prosecute the case without access to evidence? I guess the dude confessed at some point

Because Taiwanese DPP government are run by a bunch of lawyers. Lawyer politicians are the worse combo, they have no bottom-line. All they care about was not making any contact with China in state or sub-state level to create any legal precedent. Not even between HK and Taiwan.

You know the inter strait offices from each side to deal with cross-strait relationship, there has been no any official or unofficial communication between them since around 2017.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Petercampbell1/status/1544206222815100929

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There were also news of all 3 Germany brands (BMW, Benz and Audi) opened new EV factories in China (2 in Dongbei, 1 near Beijing) from about 2 weeks ago.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1544299343833874432?s=20&t=UUzgLXX17yL0zGYm9xIbYg

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Not So Fast posted:

google, show me the platonic ideal for English noncery

https://twitter.com/kamenism/status/1544087709949370368

where in the world is carpeng shuaidiego?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

funny enough here is a video of Musk back in the day laughing at the thought of BYD as a serious competitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9ftbRWqkj0

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 20:40 on Jul 5, 2022