Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Picked up and played a bit of Creeper World 4, an RTS/tower defense game where your enemy is... liquid?

Story mode seems like it eases you into things just fine and I like that there are daily challenges and a random mission generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my friend who's been playing through the yakuza games over the past few years just was telling me this weekend about how the crew of manbabies isn't just a one off jokey side mission in one of the games but they're a recurring group of characters that show up in multiple iterations

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah i think a few of the more "memorable" side quest characters show up in cameos a few times

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Humble Choice this month is pretty good. Deep Rock Galactic, Necromunda (Janky 40k shooter), Banners of Ruin, Lawnmower Simulator, Legion 2 TD, Legend of Keepers, Yes, Your Grace and... uh.....

....Atom RPG trudograd which is an interesting Fallout-esque game that is -extremely- racist iirc.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

FuzzySlippers posted:

I didn't find it very interesting. The low budget hex aesthetic didn't feel stylish enough for John Wick and I didn't think it was tactically interesting enough for me to stick with the game's narrow mission focus. It's funny that the hex choice in particular makes the replays look so goofy since you can't really run in a straight line so you have this bobbling back and forth John Wick.

The weird punk everyone is secretly an assassin world of the John Wick movies does seem pretty perfect for an open world game

Thanks. Ended up skipping out on it. Weird it's a turn based game.

Last two games I'm looking at before the sale ends are An Outcry and Galaxy of Pen and Paper. Any thoughts on these two ?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

fit em all up in there posted:

Thanks. Ended up skipping out on it. Weird it's a turn based game.

Last two games I'm looking at before the sale ends are An Outcry and Galaxy of Pen and Paper. Any thoughts on these two ?
If you want a John Wick turn-based game, look at Fights In Tight Spaces.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

iGestalt posted:

Humble Choice this month is pretty good. Deep Rock Galactic, Necromunda (Janky 40k shooter), Banners of Ruin, Lawnmower Simulator, Legion 2 TD, Legend of Keepers, Yes, Your Grace and... uh.....

....Atom RPG trudograd which is an interesting Fallout-esque game that is -extremely- racist iirc.

That is really good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I might just have to get this one.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I like these japanese dating sims.

Yakuza's side quest are some of it's best content and that's saying something with how good the main stories are.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Ulio posted:

Yakuza's side quest are some of it's best content and that's saying something with how good the main stories are.

I sunk more time in Club Sunshine stuff then I did main game stuff

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I might have missed the announcement that Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark is free on Amazon Prime Gaming this month. If you ever wanted an unofficial clone of FF Tactics for grinding out crazy broken job-class combinations on a grid, you should definitely check it out , especially for free. I bought it at full price early-access and actually finished it and most of the optional content, with no regrets.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

iGestalt posted:

According to the LP it's also bad, even if you removed all the racism from it. Mechanics, writing, just a real shitshow all around.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Protocol7 posted:

Picked up and played a bit of Creeper World 4, an RTS/tower defense game where your enemy is... liquid?

Story mode seems like it eases you into things just fine and I like that there are daily challenges and a random mission generator.

the creeper world series is very fun. i wish the plot of 4 was a bit more ambitious, though. creeper world 3's premise was way more interesting, and i dont think it totally stuck the landing at the end but i loved how unique it was overall

for reference, the plot of creeper world 4 is something along the lines of "while planning for an interplanetary mission, aliens attack! defend yourself!" it's functional, but it can't hold a candle to CW3, which opens with "you are the last sapient lifeform in the universe, woken up by a mysterious AI after the creep destroyed everything else, wandering the ruins of galactic civilization while searching for some purpose for yourself." which is the kind of off the wall poo poo i'm looking for when i play sci fi games

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

iGestalt posted:

As I was talking on another page, Encased is the way better Russian Fallout-esque option.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
definitely skipping that Humble, I want Necromunda but nothing else there interests me at all

iGestalt posted:

I probably don't want to know, but how is it racist

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

definitely skipping that Humble, I want Necromunda but nothing else there interests me at all

I probably don't want to know, but how is it racist

I can't recall all of the poo poo I heard but I know one of the major shop keepers is an antisemitic stereotype. like, a really bad one.

ZearothK posted:

As I was talking on another page, Encased is the way better Russian Fallout-esque option.

It is. I was impressed by it's inclusion and diversity. It's also really neat as a setting.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Does anyone have opinions on the Steam vs. console versions of Omori? The Steam version is apparently missing some "reverse exclusive" content, but I've heard differing opinions as to whether it actually matters.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Venuz Patrol posted:

the creeper world series is very fun. i wish the plot of 4 was a bit more ambitious, though. creeper world 3's premise was way more interesting, and i dont think it totally stuck the landing at the end but i loved how unique it was overall

for reference, the plot of creeper world 4 is something along the lines of "while planning for an interplanetary mission, aliens attack! defend yourself!" it's functional, but it can't hold a candle to CW3, which opens with "you are the last sapient lifeform in the universe, woken up by a mysterious AI after the creep destroyed everything else, wandering the ruins of galactic civilization while searching for some purpose for yourself." which is the kind of off the wall poo poo i'm looking for when i play sci fi games

drat, I’m sold. That’s cool as gently caress

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

does the monster hunter rise expansion have a weapon/armor equivalent to the defender set from iceborne where you just make it out of a twig and some string and it's more powerful than anything in the base game so you can just power through it?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Someone many pages back had recommended Golden Treasure - The Great Green and after playing it for a few nights I agree with the recommendation.

I haven't played a game quite like it. It's a mix between choose your own adventure and a rock-paper-scissors battle system with stats (elements) to upgrade.

The writing style is unique - I have no idea how long it took the developer to lean into this writing style and I don't really even know how to describe it aside from "animalistic and spiritual". It's written from the point of a dragon hatchling that's learning the world and the game takes place in ancient times.

You make choices (in my case, often the wrong ones) that gain you elemental masteries. Fully "mastering" an animal species (through a combination of observing it, tanking damage or just eating them) gives you a pile of elemental mastery, so it's one of the most important things to do.

When you gain enough knowledge to master an animal, flavour text appears and it's written from the perspective of that animal in a really spiritualistic way as well.

All in all, it's bizarre and compelling and I've died so many times but I keep coming back.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

does the monster hunter rise expansion have a weapon/armor equivalent to the defender set from iceborne where you just make it out of a twig and some string and it's more powerful than anything in the base game so you can just power through it?
They added Defender weapons and Black Belt armor back towards PC Rise's launch - roughly speaking, they were good enough to carry you to the beginning of High Rank without making other gear. They just introduced additional upgrades for the weapons and an HR set of Black Belt armor with Sunbreak's launch - it's good enough to carry you to around the beginning of the expansion without making other gear, but that's before the true end of base game content (you won't even have fought the first of the elder dragon trio if you started from the beginning).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hogama posted:

They added Defender weapons and Black Belt armor back towards PC Rise's launch - roughly speaking, they were good enough to carry you to the beginning of High Rank without making other gear. They just introduced additional upgrades for the weapons and an HR set of Black Belt armor with Sunbreak's launch - it's good enough to carry you to around the beginning of the expansion without making other gear, but that's before the true end of base game content (you won't even have fought the first of the elder dragon trio if you started from the beginning).

drat it hogama i wanted an excuse not to pick it up until sunbreak goes on sale because a group of my friends want me to get it and "oh the defender set actually exists in vanilla monster hunter rise" is the exact wrong thing for you to say

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Vasler posted:

Someone many pages back had recommended Golden Treasure - The Great Green and after playing it for a few nights I agree with the recommendation.

I haven't played a game quite like it. It's a mix between choose your own adventure and a rock-paper-scissors battle system with stats (elements) to upgrade.

The writing style is unique - I have no idea how long it took the developer to lean into this writing style and I don't really even know how to describe it aside from "animalistic and spiritual". It's written from the point of a dragon hatchling that's learning the world and the game takes place in ancient times.

You make choices (in my case, often the wrong ones) that gain you elemental masteries. Fully "mastering" an animal species (through a combination of observing it, tanking damage or just eating them) gives you a pile of elemental mastery, so it's one of the most important things to do.

When you gain enough knowledge to master an animal, flavour text appears and it's written from the perspective of that animal in a really spiritualistic way as well.

All in all, it's bizarre and compelling and I've died so many times but I keep coming back.

Anything with a name that good has to be quality.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hammerting RNEIQ-A22KT-PPY6D

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Sininu posted:

Hammerting RNEIQ-A22KT-PPY6D

Grabbed this, was interested to see what has become of it. Thank you!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
All the videos I'm finding of Snowrunner seem to be made by pro-thusiast dudes with steering wheels, shifters, clutches, TrackIR setups, all kinds of stuff.

Is fun to play with a just gamepad?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yes.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Small HOMM5 question. I've really only just started, I'm on like the fourth mission of the first campaign and I'm just curious if the missions get bigger.

There are some mechanics like artifacts, town management, etc, that feel rather superfluous so far because the mission is over in a few weeks worth of turns and most of it doesn't carry over to the next mission.

But maybe it's just like, a longform tutorial.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

All the videos I'm finding of Snowrunner seem to be made by pro-thusiast dudes with steering wheels, shifters, clutches, TrackIR setups, all kinds of stuff.

with the way winching works, id argue that it controls better on a gamepad than with a steering wheel

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Harminoff posted:

Zachtronics last game last call bbs just hit ea

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1511780/Last_Call_BBS/

Oh drat this is also on gamepass today too!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

GreatGreen posted:

It might be best played with keyboard/mouse given how important winching is. You definitely do not need a race setup, it's not that kind of game. Steering angles change veeery slowly, it's more about understanding what you're doing than actual execution like a racing game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

Small HOMM5 question. I've really only just started, I'm on like the fourth mission of the first campaign and I'm just curious if the missions get bigger.

There are some mechanics like artifacts, town management, etc, that feel rather superfluous so far because the mission is over in a few weeks worth of turns and most of it doesn't carry over to the next mission.

But maybe it's just like, a longform tutorial.
They get quite a bit bigger, yes. The first campaign is not a good showing of what the game has to offer.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Just got turned onto Metal: Hellsinger from Civvie's latest video and holy poo poo, everyone needs to play the demo for this now and then buy it in September.

It's a rhythm-shooter, similar to how Crypt of the Necrodancer is a rhythm roguelike. If you shoot on the beat, you do more damage, and reload if you press it on the beat as well. And all of this is accompanied by awesome tracks. The more you beat up your rhythm meter, the more layers the music gets, ultimately having the vocals come in.

The music in the game was written by some pretty big names.

And here's the first track you encounter after getting through the quick tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpJ0jBTdP70

The demo on steam can be beaten in about 20 minutes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I could do for some first person shooters that have, like, idk, club jazz or funk music rather than metal music. Why is it always metal?? Someone do an FPS with hip hop soundtrack, or dance music

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

I could do for some first person shooters that have, like, idk, club jazz or funk music rather than metal music. Why is it always metal?? Someone do an FPS with hip hop soundtrack, or dance music

Fashion Police Squad
Beyond Sunset
Fallen Aces

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 6, 2022

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

GreatGreen posted:

100%

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

GreatGreen posted:

That's crazy. I had a full cockpit setup but this is one game that I actually preferred using a controller.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

payday 2 had an EDM soundtrack that everyone loved so I don't know why more games haven't done it

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

The 7th Guest posted:

I'm not into growly metal but I really liked the demo and the music. It seemed appropriate for the theme.

I really liked BPM as it had great music and gameplay.

I think it would be cool to have a dance music rhythm FPS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

GreatGreen posted:

i play american truck sim with a wheel and trackIR, i have no loving idea why anyone would wanna play Snowrunner on those, i tried and winching is miserable.

gamepad is the best way to play it.