Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

All that poo poo from John Cameron sounds like somebody who's done with filmmaking but doesn't understand how to just retire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Name one.

No cheating, it doesn't count if they make stupid movies for no moeny.

Daniel Day Lewis, Tom Hanks. Gene Hackman, Christian Bale.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Robot Style posted:

They've been doing this with Star Wars for a few years now, so this isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Yeah, if people think CGI characters are ghoulish now we can remake their voices from samples. No one is dead forever.

Darth Vader in the lovely Obi-Wan series is completely voiced by James Earl Jones... from samples.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, if people think CGI characters are ghoulish now we can remake their voices from samples. No one is dead forever.

Darth Vader in the lovely Obi-Wan series is completely voiced by James Earl Jones... from samples.

No one's ever really gone

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, it was weird when everyone was like, "Vader sounds great in Kenobi!" and I was thinking, "Yeah, way too good." Because I remember how old he sounded in Rogue One, Rebels, and The Lion King (which, fair enough, the man is old, of course he's gonna sound old now, let him age). Like, something was clearly off, if he sounded that good.

But I guess most people just loved him sounding like that, so they know what they're doing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I heard they got James Earl Jones to record new dialogue and used an AI to make him sound closer to his younger self.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Vintersorg posted:

So long as he consents to it I don't really see that it matters. In the case of actors who died before the technology came about I'm not even really opposed to it to be honest, since (a) they're dead, so they're unlikely to give a poo poo and (b) their families or estates can and almost certainly will handle accepting or rejecting any such offers; just as they've been doing for other legal matters related to copyright, licensing etc. for decades now. Disney have done stuff now with Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher, so far as I recall, and what they've done I really don't think the actors would have objected to doing even if they were alive. As in, they'd probably have acted in those scenes quite happily themselves (whether for the job, the pay-cheque or both) and they'd probably have been okay with Disney using technology to overlay the performance or even replace it entirely.

The only time I think it'd be objectionable is if someone makes it clear they don't want that poo poo done after they've died, which hasn't happened yet given how new the technology is, but someone will probably write into their will at some point. At which point, I doubt anyone will try to countermand it anyway; at least not publicly. Frankly, in the case of some actors I'd think they'd just be happy they get to keep appearing in things and/or entertaining people for decades or even centuries after they've died; especially if those appearances keep paying their estate. Harrison Ford would probably find it a perfect solution to his Star Wars dilemma to keep getting paid for new gigs but never have to actual act in that poo poo or be bothered about it again, for instance.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Marvel movies are bulletproof as long as they keep making money, but boy it's been kind of funny/interesting the way that the public tide seems to be turning now that Thor reviews have come out and witnessing how split people were on Doctor Strange II.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Harlock posted:

Marvel movies are bulletproof as long as they keep making money, but boy it's been kind of funny/interesting the way that the public tide seems to be turning now that Thor reviews have come out and witnessing how split people were on Doctor Strange II.

When you've been as successful as Marvel has, there's a bunch of people waiting in the wings with knives out. They won't be successful forever, they will eventually flub one and underperform, and then they'll be beset by critics. At that point, it will be really interesting to see what happens, if they pull a DC and completely retool and make a mess of everything, or if they stick to their guns. I would bet they are more disciplined than the DC guys but it's hard to say what will happen until it actually happens.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

ImpAtom posted:

I love Sigourney but there is no amount of mocap that will make her sound 14.

You clearly forgot that their planet takes longer to travel around their sun, so a 14 year-old Na’vi would sound exactly like a 70 year old human woman.

edit: if James Cameron had a private novel written so that he could adapt the screenplay from it, would it be eligible for Best Adapted Screenplay instead of Original?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Detective No. 27 posted:

I heard they got James Earl Jones to record new dialogue and used an AI to make him sound closer to his younger self.

They'll eventually turn James Earl Jones into a computer: I Have No Mouth But I Must Voice Darth Vader

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

thrawn527 posted:

I may never stop laughing from almost every bullet point here.

"You assholes seriously don't remember everything that happened in the last movie? Well what if Sigourney comes back, but as Jake's daughter, huh? You don't remember her, or Jake anyway, so you shouldn't care, right? RIGHT?!"
"I don't give a poo poo how many times you have to take a piss during my movie. JAMES CAMERON IS FUELED BY YOUR PISS COMPLAINTS!"
"You know these are based off of novels, right? Oh, you've never heard of them? That's probably because I had the novels privately written, just so I could based the screenplays off of the novels. No, you can't read them, why?"
"I'm gonna solve Climate Change with the 4th movie! You'll see! If I can be bothered to make that movie, meh."
"...did I seriously say I was gonna do 5 of these things? I've made a huge mistake."

This is the funniest outcome from the last 10 years or so of him saying he's making 5 Avatars.

Cameron is worth somewhere between $700m and a cool billion, surely there are more effective ways to combat climate change than making a bunch of movies.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mat Cauthon posted:

Cameron is worth somewhere between $700m and a cool billion, surely there are more effective ways to combat climate change than making a bunch of movies.

Seems like he is dropping the ball by making Avatar 4 the one will change the world. 2 and 3 won't change the world's thinking, but 5 is apparently going to not follow through with 4's world-changing message?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

You clearly forgot that their planet takes longer to travel around their sun, so a 14 year-old Na’vi would sound exactly like a 70 year old human woman.

edit: if James Cameron had a private novel written so that he could adapt the screenplay from it, would it be eligible for Best Adapted Screenplay instead of Original?

It's going to be her original character reincarnated through the spirit tree or something dumb like that. This will lead a significant part of the online fandom to insist 'it's okay because she's actually 65!' when pressed on certain topics

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

No Dignity posted:

It's going to be her original character reincarnated through the spirit tree or something dumb like that. This will lead a significant part of the online fandom to insist 'it's okay because she's actually 65!' when pressed on certain topics

I forgot her original character died.

(Sorry, James.)

She died in a military base, though? I guess the tree can sneak in and steal souls from space ships.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I forgot her original character died.

(Sorry, James.)

She died in a military base, though? I guess the tree can sneak in and steal souls from space ships.

She got shot in the base but they brought her dying body back to the tree to try and upload her mind before she died. It seemingly didn’t work. Well, not at the time anyways.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

She got shot in the base but they brought her dying body back to the tree to try and upload her mind before she died. It seemingly didn’t work. Well, not at the time anyways.

Yeah it doesn't work, I got the impression she was going to be back as like the voice of the planet/basically mother nature from very very very early information/rumors about Avatar 2. A "use the force Jake Sully" person instead of a full out character, so this really took me by surprise.

But also that was a cool thing because of how their planet lets them do basically what the human faction's avatar technology does.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcn4p213Zg8

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

Cameron somehow sounds envious of prequels era George Lucas.

There's some interview with Cameron after The Force Awakens came out where he very diplomatically says that he thinks the prequels were better because they were more original in their ideas.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mat Cauthon posted:

James Cameron does not do the things that James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is James Cameron

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Everyone posted:

James Cameron does not do the things that James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is James Cameron

The bravest pioneer
No budget too steep, no sea too deep
Who's that?
It's him, James Cameron

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You know, I keep waiting for ol' Jimmy Cams to slip on the banana peel and take a header but the dude keeps winning. Maybe this is the one but I wouldn't count on it!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You know, I keep waiting for ol' Jimmy Cams to slip on the banana peel and take a header but the dude keeps winning. Maybe this is the one but I wouldn't count on it!

Oh I'm sure this will all work out in spades for him. Which is part of what makes it even funnier.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

We all agree it’s funny / wild but no one has actually disagreed with him. We’re not stupid.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Seems like he is dropping the ball by making Avatar 4 the one will change the world. 2 and 3 won't change the world's thinking, but 5 is apparently going to not follow through with 4's world-changing message?

James Cameron presents Robert Rodriguez's Avatar 4 will not just change people's minds, it will end the climate change crisis. Avatar 5 will just be a fun victory lap.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody gives a poo poo and they can't remember the characters' names or one drat thing that happened in the movie about Avatar

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Real talk….can I get Arnold as a Navi? Can some xenonorphs and predators crash on their world?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I remember gruff sargemech pulling out a robowie knife

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I remember laughing out loud when the cast started talking about "unobtainium".

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Flying Zamboni posted:

James Cameron presents Robert Rodriguez's Avatar 4 will not just change people's minds, it will end the climate change crisis. Avatar 5 will just be a fun victory lap.

Avatar 5: The Next-to-Last Airbender.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Pillowpants posted:

Daniel Day Lewis, Tom Hanks. Gene Hackman, Christian Bale.

He said one, you lose!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Avatar is great and I remember everything about it and I'm looking forward to December when I can watch Avatar 2 on a big rear end IMAX screen in stereo 3D. Thanks for reading.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I didn’t like Avatar when I first saw it but some podcasts and fans on this forum have convinced me I need to check it out again and this upcoming re-release sounds like a perfect excuse!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well, I've seen no reason to bet against Cameron so far...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

If the tree can allow you to upload your brain, then I don't get why anyone cares about unobtanium when they have a functional immortality tree to research and possibly replicate.

If that is actually what happens, then Jake Sully adopting his boss' soul as his new 14-year old inter-species daughter (who also has the voice of a human woman in her late 60's) is weird on a lot of levels. Weaver's voice has gotten somewhat deeper with age already, so it is going to be even weirder coming out of a teen.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This Sigourney thing is pedo poo poo and I guess Cameron will make another two billy by introducing the concept of the alien child who is actually really old to Western audiences

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

tsob posted:

I remember laughing out loud when the cast started talking about "unobtainium".

:same:

Also, I'm lolling that the villain is returning as a Na'vi in Avatar 2.

Lmao

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mameluke posted:

This Sigourney thing is pedo poo poo and I guess Cameron will make another two billy by introducing the concept of the alien child who is actually really old to Western audiences

?????????????????

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Fellas, is metempsychosis problematic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Mameluke posted:

Look, anime and Something Awful already did that long ago, friend.