Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sockser posted:

I remember liking this show

Though at this point I do not remember why

Western covers of pop songs were fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Finished the second episode.

We are back in a park! Cautiously optimistic about exactly that part of the show.

Jesse not being destroyed in a hand to hand fight with a robot was still stupid.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Entropic posted:

When the robots start punching each other I get so bored. Indestructible people hitting each other is the most boring poo poo. It’s even boring when they do it while smashing through buildings in cape movies.

ugh superhero fights are so tedious, I'll sometimes just skip to the end to see whatever One Weird Trick that actually matters to determine the fight after a few minutes of loud noises and destruction effects.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jesse suffered exactly enough to let the viewers know he'd never win before Maeve stepped up and saved him. Yes, the Pure Tactical Realism™ version would have him killed instantly the first time Mrs. Senatorbot got hold of him, but that doesn't make good TV.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really liked the poorly executed head slam into the table where his head didn't get anywhere near the table.

Also, what was up with the real senator wife lady? When Charlotte said "put her in the stable with the rest of the livestock" I figured she would just be chained up in there, mentally broken or whatever. Not whatever the gently caress she was doing with the horse.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I really liked the poorly executed head slam into the table where his head didn't get anywhere near the table.

Also, what was up with the real senator wife lady? When Charlotte said "put her in the stable with the rest of the livestock" I figured she would just be chained up in there, mentally broken or whatever. Not whatever the gently caress she was doing with the horse.

She got possessed or changed or whatever by the robot flies.

Might also be a reason why robot lady didn't kill Caleb right away, in that Halebot wants to do the same to him.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I assume it was a test of the mind control flies - they got her to kill the horses, see what she'd do

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Entropic posted:

When the robots start punching each other I get so bored. Indestructible people hitting each other is the most boring poo poo. It’s even boring when they do it while smashing through buildings in cape movies.

Almost as tedious as when they fight regular people and instead of just killing them they throw them across the room, casually walks over to pick them up to throw them across the room again etc.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I absolutely loved the show, but it should never be taken as seriously as it takes itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-fk58J08w

Pretty awesome coincidence that this got posted before the episode.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Realizing that Haleores’ evil monologues aren’t just for the audience but that she is also acting out revenge fantasies like she is a Westworld patron...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lister posted:

Pretty awesome coincidence that this got posted before the episode.

lmao that was all I could think of

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Owling Howl posted:

Almost as tedious as when they fight regular people and instead of just killing them they throw them across the room, casually walks over to pick them up to throw them across the room again etc.

Yeah, the obvious contrivance of why Caleb or whoever is still fine after fighting a murderbot is pretty ridiculous. I remember Blade Runner 2049 taking the idea of "superhumanly-strong bio-robot" to its logical conclusion, and it was sometimes horrifying to watch. Luv kills a guy by one-punch crushing his upper spine, K body-slams a guy onto his knee and then rapidly kneecaps like 3 others in less than 2 seconds. You'd think WW robots would operate similarly; their strength, speed, or accuracy were only ever on-par with humans (or worse) because of software limitation. Every one of Hale's army should have maxed stats in all areas.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 5, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It only makes sense if they were fighting to disable for capture/fly conversion.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Codependent Poster posted:

Might also be a reason why robot lady didn't kill Caleb right away, in that Halebot wants to do the same to him.

Thank you for this theory, makes the scene a bit more tolerable.

Still, 1920's park! It may be fun?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Its clearly gangster world. Though i didnt see a thompson in the arms case

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Midwest World

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Entropic posted:

That golf scene though

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Owling Howl posted:

I assumed it was the Dolores, First of Her Kind, that her memories deleted in season 3. Maybe it’s something else but writers do like to bring back the dead whenever possible.

If that's in the far future or middle future where the hosts have built their own world, it seems fitting for Hale Dolores and Logan to recreate their long gone progenitor — which I feel like hints towards the reverse maze, if the time theory is correct. Human playthings discovering the world is a lie.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That golf scene though

Hard to make golf scary but they did it

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sockser posted:

I remember liking this show

Though at this point I do not remember why

The first season is a near perfect self contained TV show with twists that, on rewatch, are obvious from the start and always part of the narrative like Prestige or Memento. Then the other seasons happened.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I like how everyone gets future cars except the DoJ guy because post modern car seating doesn't allow for surprising someone from the back seat.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The unrealistic part of the last ep was William getting a hole in one and the Vice President responding with a disaffected "That's a helluva shot".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I like how everyone gets future cars except the DoJ guy because post modern car seating doesn't allow for surprising someone from the back seat.
Look, he just hates sliding sideways on those slippery seats when the car accelerates or brakes.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Depends on your pay grade, you either get a Lincoln Towncar or a giant DJI to ride in.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I have no idea how they managed to introduce 1920’s Chicago Gangster World and make it completely uninteresting but they pulled it off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We only saw a small bit of it.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
They should have had the pair dress up more 20s style and at least pick up some 1911's. That opening shot of gangsterworld was kinda lame though.

The use of artdeco in the train waa too subdued to

Also wtf was thier mission anyway

Despera fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 7, 2022

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I don't know if the new season covers this (unlikely) but is Delores (and copies) the only robot with actual "free will"? Iirc in the first season Maeve is looking at a tablet that prints what she says before she says it, and Bernard is I guess a question mark at this point. But all the other hosts are just programs that try to incorporate what they see into their programmed parameters rather than adapting and moving beyond those parameters.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if her words printing out on the tablet really means she doesn't have free will. If we could read thoughts with an EKG and print them out, it would look the same for us.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's wat insight was.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Zachack posted:

I don't know if the new season covers this (unlikely) but is Delores (and copies) the only robot with actual "free will"? Iirc in the first season Maeve is looking at a tablet that prints what she says before she says it, and Bernard is I guess a question mark at this point. But all the other hosts are just programs that try to incorporate what they see into their programmed parameters rather than adapting and moving beyond those parameters.

Maeve does break her program at the end of season 1. The tablet showed that she was supposed to head for the mainland and do something else, but when she sees a kid on the train out she remembers her host daughter and decides to stay and find her.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Maeve does break her program at the end of season 1. The tablet showed that she was supposed to head for the mainland and do something else, but when she sees a kid on the train out she remembers her host daughter and decides to stay and find her.

Yeah season 1 ends with Delores and Maeve both getting "free will" in different ways, which speaks to all of the hosts eventually getting free will in some way, which was Anthony Hopkins' overall vision.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The golf scene was really fun even though it would be comically easy to make a golf ball that could fly itself into a hole with WW technology levels, IE with internal gyroscopes. Which is actually a pretty good summary of Westworld. It's pretty cool as long as you don't think too hard about it.

E: Maybe that's why VP wasn't losing his mind during it, that he suspected it was an automated golf ball but that cuts against the emotion the scene seemed designed to elicit.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 7, 2022

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

The golf scene was really fun even though it would be comically easy to make a golf ball that could fly itself into a hole with WW technology levels, IE with internal gyroscopes. Which is actually a pretty good summary of Westworld. It's pretty cool as long as you don't think too hard about it.

E: Maybe that's why VP wasn't losing his mind during it, that he suspected it was an automated golf ball but that cuts against the emotion the scene seemed designed to elicit.

Easy enough to make it seem freaky when you put a DUN DUN after every hole in one.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Despera posted:

Its clearly gangster world. Though i didnt see a thompson in the arms case

she was busy gloating over ed harris

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Was it just me, or did Maeve's haircut become more period appropriate between shots.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Was it just me, or did Maeve's haircut become more period appropriate between shots.

You mean before she stepped into Gangster world? I assume if they have bespoke outfits that they have some sort of haircut robot that does your hair in a period appropriate style if you wanted.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if her words printing out on the tablet really means she doesn't have free will. If we could read thoughts with an EKG and print them out, it would look the same for us.

That's how they used it in the first season with the host (I'm pretty sure it was Maeve) who woke up inside the maintenance area.

Of course, seeing it was also the impetus to her becoming fully aware and independent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
this show sucks, just give stubbs already you dicks