Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Winnie in Dunwich sounds absolutely awful. Many condolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Also counterpoint: The House Always Wins owns.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Orange Devil posted:

Also counterpoint: The House Always Wins owns.

It was a sensational description, I admit. I think I would have been a lot less frustrated if the first campaign mission (that we played) didn't involve so much time not doing the thing the game is about. Changes of pace are great. But much like The Naked Now, you can't subvert expectations when you're still establishing them.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

KPC_Mammon posted:

Winnie in Dunwich sounds absolutely awful. Many condolences.

She doesn't seem so bad so far (other than me being silly and forgetting the skull token in the bag). Lockpicks are good for high shroud locations, the guns are fine, and I've been able to keep the cards rolling without too much trouble. Is there something I'm missing? (No spoilers please)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

nomadotto posted:

She doesn't seem so bad so far (other than me being silly and forgetting the skull token in the bag). Lockpicks are good for high shroud locations, the guns are fine, and I've been able to keep the cards rolling without too much trouble. Is there something I'm missing? (No spoilers please)

I would wager this is not the first time Winnie sees Beyond the Veil.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

nomadotto posted:

Winnie's strength is her ability to cycle through her deck multiple times per scenario. Any time you get a certain mythos card she will either die in a few rounds or be severely handicapped.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Nathaniel can pack prepared for the worst but it’s still going to be annoying. You handle this one is also going to be essential.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Beyond the Veil is a bad card and there's a reason they backed way the gently caress off on the penalty for the handful of cards like that in the future.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

MJ tweeted the rules for Customizable cards:

That's a lot of rules for one keyword, but it basically works how you'd want it to.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Hell yes Arcane Research and Down the Rabbit Hole synergies confirmed.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Capping out at 10 makes some of them significantly worse.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I don't know if I'd want to spend more than 10XP on 2 non-exceptional cards out of my deck. It seems pretty risky even with ways to fish one out.

Besides, I think these look plenty strong even without being able to get all the upgrades. If you could I think they would be ridiculously strong in some cases. The way they've done this seems like the most sensible option.

Edit: Looks like Survivors are getting a customizable pocket-knife: https://twitter.com/ArchivosArkham/status/1545072791493525507

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 8, 2022

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A custom pocket knife is thematic as hell.

Is this going to spin off into a roll and write with cards?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Noob question: Does the mechanical theme of some of the campaigns become apparent in campaigns early enough that the upgradeable cards can use it to their advantage? Obviously on a second run you can optimize for the card that you want, but when you're running through a campaign blind, maybe you aren't sure what you're going to encounter?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

CitizenKeen posted:

Noob question: Does the mechanical theme of some of the campaigns become apparent in campaigns early enough that the upgradeable cards can use it to their advantage? Obviously on a second run you can optimize for the card that you want, but when you're running through a campaign blind, maybe you aren't sure what you're going to encounter?

In my experience the first run of a campaign is a test balloon, which sort of sucks because it usually takes our group about three months to complete a campaign. The second run lets you get a little more serious and earn some W’s.

The alternative is to ask for spoiler-free guidance here, or look up information elsewhere, I suppose. But I do like the surprise of a first run.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Okay, awesome. So it seems weird to have the utility of a card drop after the first run when you know more, but even then, how many cycles are played once versus many, etc. I could see the upgradeable cards' value being that you decide later.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Putting 10 XP into two upgraded cards is the same of buying two copies of a top level weapon. But it solves a major problem with weapons in this game, that they’re not worth very much between one and 3xp.

The explanation means that Fern can’t bring her ax to glory. But she can grab the armor instead of having to run level zero copies of Solemn Vow all campaign, ones she can’t really tutor for.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
It's either build your deck towards what the campaign wants you to do, or you build it to what your investigator is good at. We've been doing the latter and it's been working pretty well.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The latest spoiler:

I could've used that in my Return to Carcosa run!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

This is the card someone needs to pack so Winnie can play dunwich.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Douche Phoenix posted:

It's either build your deck towards what the campaign wants you to do, or you build it to what your investigator is good at. We've been doing the latter and it's been working pretty well.

The latter is best for blind runs, the former eeks out an advantage when you really know the campaigns, your investigator and the cardpool inside out.

Orphic Theory seems neat but also given the cost (xp, deckslot, 2 resources) the kind of card virtually noone is ever going to take.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Or ask for a comedy option. Seriously.

Blind run of The Forgotten Age, using full Return To rules. Calvin has been awesome. Spice it up with In the Thick of It and you'll be the crazed maniac who can also rip clues out of the very walls.
(&Walter &Winifred = our team)

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Our run through of TFA was Ursala and Mark. Sophie is one hell of a card.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Xlorp posted:

Blind run of The Forgotten Age, using full Return To rules. Calvin has been awesome. Spice it up with In the Thick of It and you'll be the crazed maniac who can also rip clues out of the very walls.
(&Walter &Winifred = our team)

When Calvin came out I thought he would be unplayable but he's had so much card support that he's now possibly one of the strongest investigators out there.

I recently finished a Carcosa run with him, purely to get to the final scenario and say Hastur 50 times and become a living god.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Orphic Theory seems neat but also given the cost (xp, deckslot, 2 resources) the kind of card virtually noone is ever going to take.

In four player it can delay some truly nasty stuff. Plus, cheaper than four wards of protection.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 8, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ward and comparable cards permanently deal with a treachery though rather than for 1 turn. And Ward doesn't cost xp.

Unless this also works to blank treacheries that don't go in play but just do a test to do damage or deal horror. I mean there is a window once the test has started. But then thevtest has already started. Anyone know how this works exactly? If this can blank the test consequences of 4 treacheries like that it is actually an amazing card.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 9, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

This is the relevant rule:

"Card abilities only interact with other cards that are in play, unless the ability specifically references an interaction with cards in an out-of-play area."

So you can only target cards which are in play, and you also can't target a card during its revelation ability because there's no window to do so anyway.

For reference, here's Word of Protection, which does let you do those things:

The other relevant rule for judging the value of Orphic Theory is about timing points:

"until the end of the round" finishes before "at the end of the round" or "when the round ends" so in the above case, you can blank Dissonant Voices and it will still discard itself at the end of the round. Also, if you activate it during a test then that test still resolves because it was initiated, so if you blank Unhallowed Land and you have an ally which can give you a Willpower boost then it will apply during that test (and UL will get discarded if you succeed).

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Unless this also works to blank treacheries that don't go in play but just do a test to do damage or deal horror. I mean there is a window once the test has started. But then thevtest has already started. Anyone know how this works exactly? If this can blank the test consequences of 4 treacheries like that it is actually an amazing card.

Regardless of whether or not you can target a treachery during its revelation, doing so wouldn't prevent test consequences as they're part of an ability that has already started to resolve. The ability in progress still resolves, even if the card changes or leaves play, so all Orphic could potentially do is disable peril, surge and similar.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Seems very situational, but it's interesting. Might be worth it on high clue locations, or maybe the new campaign will have a bunch of locations with repeatable tests on them.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Boss fights?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, I'm sure I wasn't thinking big enough. I guess the question is how many or what kind of tests does it need to hit to justify its card/action/resource cost?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Seems best for boss fights in places where you also need to grab clues.

Definitely the kind of card you probably don't take with you on a blind run but can include for specific campaigns. Can't imagine you'd want to pack more than 1.

However, if you play the kind of Seeker that sits in one location for as much of the game as possible scooping up clues remotely, this card may actually just be really good for you?

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 9, 2022

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Could be a boost to people building sniper nests. Those exist apparently.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Lowering the difficulty of a test is more valuable than a +1 bonus if you can find a way to get the difficulty down to zero (flashlights and stealth come to mind).

I've played some decks that wanted to be as thin as possible to reuse a few really powerful cards over and over again. Since this doesn't take an asset slot it would help reach the state where pre-taboo Mandy can pick up all clues at multiple locations each round, regardless of player count or shroud value.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Seems more broadly useful than the cards that reduce monsters stats for one hit.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

Seems more broadly useful than the cards that reduce monsters stats for one hit.

Yeah, those only work as Shotgun enablers imo, and then still are of dubious value.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Seems best for boss fights in places where you also need to grab clues.

Definitely the kind of card you probably don't take with you on a blind run but can include for specific campaigns. Can't imagine you'd want to pack more than 1.

However, if you play the kind of Seeker that sits in one location for as much of the game as possible scooping up clues remotely, this card may actually just be really good for you?

I like that idea. Bonus points if you're Luke Robinson also using Summoned Servitor, Power Word and In the Know to never move ever.

Power Word might become a Luke staple imo. You can grab enemies regardless of where they spawn.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 9, 2022

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Orange Devil posted:

Took the words right out of my mouth. This is the epitome of a card you grab off of Adaptable for extremely specific scenarios. Like I can imagine pulling this out for Blood on the Altar, especially in a multiplayer game where dropping it in the secret room might be incredibly powerful. It also has a couple of niche applications for something like Curtain Call where you can predict in advance where a boss is going to appear.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Free and somewhat curated card draw? Probably not great if you have a lot of high impact/XP cards in your deck, so it's a bit better for Survivors.

edit: Higher res image, and this:

Kalko fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Gives me a bit of a headache.