Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

KirbyKhan posted:

I genuinely liked the story better before Wastelanders.

The general concepts were excellent, but the execution deserves to be remembered as a failure on the level of FF14's launch. Fallout 4 was awful with PRESS ∆ TO [SARCASTIC] in every dialogue roundup, but 76 managed to outdo that by recreating the Destiny 1 experience of a content free game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Was there just the bot vendors then?

It is a credit to the writing team that they were able to create a good story out of the frankly dumb decision to have no human NPCs to interact with. It does have some interesting side effects though.

You're seeing the bones of the pre war civilization and the fresh corpse of what came in the immediate aftermath. The Responders, Raiders, BoS and Enclave all had their own little societies going on for a while until the scorched wiped them all out. All thats left of them is what they build out of the ruins of pre war America and the robots they used to maintain it, including Rose and MUNDUS.

It also has the hilarious side effect of there is no ownership of anything outside of what players own so you can literally walk into someones house and take everything not nailed down. Sorry folks, i need your plastic and aluminum.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
There wasn't a single human being anywhere. Not even the Overseer, who was so traumatized from the events that she conveniently "left" Appalachia.

The only living being you could interact with was Grahm and stumbling across him was as rare as it is today.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
They should have had a small group of responder remenets alive in the airport and maybe a small group of free staters in a very remote bunker.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, all the spots were empty. It was a glorious "skeleton in bathtub" gallery. Now voice clips are everywhere and you can do companion quests where the blood eagles do buffout drugging of members shattering their psyche and a side gang with a dude and a daughter strung across 14 quest legs. Most of them were around south Savage Divide and a lil into middle swampland.

Like drat. That was whole questchain was booty, felt like a series of radiant quests in which half were bespoke and half were procedural. Only slightly more complicated than the daily faction quests.

But I did the swamp zone bunker quests where you do some Scorched Alert System maintenance following the contingency logs of a dead woman. It sends you to some of the safest spots in the swamp while skirting around some juicy point of interests. Same mechanical tools, but much more effective delivery.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
So I only recently discovered that I could fast travel directly to public events, and I've been leveling by popping into Eviction Notice and hiding in the background chucking grenades at things while a bunch of high level people do all the real work, and I just scuttle around looting the dead. Up until last night, every legendary that dropped was level 50, but after hitting level 35 and doing the event, I got all legendaries adjusted to my level.

I don't know if that was something that got patched in, or I just hit the magic level where that happens, but it was sweet, I actually got two great weapon upgrades and two excellent pieces of armor. Feels good! :unsmith:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

I genuinely liked the story better before Wastelanders.
I only played after Wastelanders and I think I would have appreciated it more before. There are a lot of compelling records left behind about the last survivors putting together a desperate plan with the knowledge that if it fails they'll all die and there will be nothing left. I feel that would play better in a hauntingly empty wasteland than right next to a settler happily chopping wood.

I understand that's probably not the kind of game most people were looking for, and it doesn't leave you a lot to actually do, but it's a game I would have appreciated for the atmosphere and the experience of exploring it.

Though I would have paid extra for a version that let me explore it by myself. I probably would have loved this game and its atmosphere if it weren't an MMO.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

It was kind of pitched to us that it would be a game where we would build the economy and infrastructure from the ground up because the players would be the vendors and craftspeople and build all the means for gathering resources.

The problem was that afaicr they gave us no way to actually do any of that. We didn't have vending machines to put our stuff in. You had to meet someone, hope they didn't shoot you on sight, then hope they happened to be carrying something you wanted to buy, then try to figure out how to use the trade interface which i still have no idea how to use.

You couldn't stockpile wares because of the ridiculously short decay time of prepared food and the stash limit of the time which was something stupid like 400 lbs.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

So I just had my first random encounter with a scorchbeast, and as a melee build that sucked. I just had to run away. I'm sure it isn't helped by the fact that I'm only level 35, but this makes me wonder if flying enemies that stay out of reach of melee are A Thing later on. Are melee builds busted in the endgame? Do I just need to switch to guns? I'm pretty pot-committed to my 2H melee weapons so far, and I am getting the feeling changing directions now is going to be unpleasant...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

titties posted:

It was kind of pitched to us that it would be a game where we would build the economy and infrastructure from the ground up because the players would be the vendors and craftspeople and build all the means for gathering resources.

The problem was that afaicr they gave us no way to actually do any of that. We didn't have vending machines to put our stuff in. You had to meet someone, hope they didn't shoot you on sight, then hope they happened to be carrying something you wanted to buy, then try to figure out how to use the trade interface which i still have no idea how to use.

You couldn't stockpile wares because of the ridiculously short decay time of prepared food and the stash limit of the time which was something stupid like 400 lbs.

More or less exactly this. I liked the pre-wastelanders story better, but the game should have launched with text chat, player vending machines, and all the QoL stuff we had shortly before wastelanders launched.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Morality_Police posted:

So I just had my first random encounter with a scorchbeast, and as a melee build that sucked. I just had to run away. I'm sure it isn't helped by the fact that I'm only level 35, but this makes me wonder if flying enemies that stay out of reach of melee are A Thing later on. Are melee builds busted in the endgame? Do I just need to switch to guns? I'm pretty pot-committed to my 2H melee weapons so far, and I am getting the feeling changing directions now is going to be unpleasant...

You can easily change builds late in the game if you want, you're far from screwed. Even a regular scorchbeast will land sometimes/eventually, the queen moreso.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Morality_Police posted:

Jetpacks

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Morality_Police posted:

2H build translates nicely to a Heavy Guns build. Just swap some cards.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

titties posted:

People have been saying for decades that they want MMOs where there is only players, no NPCs, and its not a good idea. Even if they gave out all the tools, it still doesn't working because it would require characters to just be gatherers and crafters and never really experience the game. I want to go out an kill monsters and explore stuff, I don't want to spend my game time making swords with the ore some other player brings me.

That is bonkers that they didn't even have the vending machines at first. Without a text chat, how could you figure out what people had? If there was a local chat you could say "i have plans for T-60 armor for sale, meet me at Top of the World, i'll be there for the next half hour" but nope.

Morality_Police posted:

My first encounter was combined with a vengful mothman attack. I booked it to the Navel Observation station and ran inside, barely surviving. I'd rather deal with the scorched inside than those two assholes. Now it like like "bring it on motherfucker" unless its a legendary * scorchbeast, they just take forever to solo.

Morality_Police posted:

So I only recently discovered that I could fast travel directly to public events, and I've been leveling by popping into Eviction Notice and hiding in the background chucking grenades at things while a bunch of high level people do all the real work, and I just scuttle around looting the dead. Up until last night, every legendary that dropped was level 50, but after hitting level 35 and doing the event, I got all legendaries adjusted to my level.

I don't know if that was something that got patched in, or I just hit the magic level where that happens, but it was sweet, I actually got two great weapon upgrades and two excellent pieces of armor. Feels good! :unsmith:

You could do that as long as I have bee playing, so I'm not sure if its super new or just newish. And yea, hanging out in a space place during the big events is a totally acceptable thing to do. You don't drop loot if you die during an event too so you can even go HAM on enemies even if you're well below level because if you die, who gives a poo poo. Its great because any damage to an enemy will net you both loot and Xp so just hanging out on a room taking pot shots with a pipe rifle will get you the same benefit as someone like me who goes in with 7k 5mm and just holds down the fire button and hoses everything with exploding mini-gun bullets.

Speaking of that, does the shredder mod work even if there is bullets in the gun? Or does it only come into effect if your weapon is dry?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Morality_Police posted:

Get a Shotgun and have the Enforcer perk equipped. Aim for the wings, they‘ll land when they get crippled. An explosive shotgun works best but any will do. A melee build should always carry a shotgun.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Thanks all, this is all very good advice. :unsmith:

I'm glad to have this thread as I blunder through this game. Almost 40, and I just learned how to select perks at level up that aren't associated with the SPECIAL I'm leveling. I'm good at games.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

People have been saying for decades that they want MMOs where there is only players, no NPCs, and its not a good idea. Even if they gave out all the tools, it still doesn't working because it would require characters to just be gatherers and crafters and never really experience the game. I want to go out an kill monsters and explore stuff, I don't want to spend my game time making swords with the ore some other player brings me.

I find it kind of interesting that MMO design just never seems to work the way people intend with regard to socials.

Environments where players are expected to do all the world with few tools (SWGs, early Fallout 76) have really dedicated followings but few takers because it's so much work.

Environments where everything is completely automated are typically massively successful as a game system but generally fail as social systems because they remove the need to interact. WoW's auction house is the most obvious example of that because it's a clear improvement on, say, Everquest's 'sit in a zone and yell at a each' style of trading but also removes even a pretext of actual interaction.

I sometimes think the only social systems that feel interesting are the ones that arise organically, like Elite: Dangerous's fuel rats, or Everquest's ad hoc auction spaces. When you do it on purpose you either design a system too unwieldy to use or too successful to prompt interaction.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ff14 party finder is a way to get cross server folks into the same typing space to press party buttons and other social buttons. Flexible enough for both farming groups and erp groups.

Fallout76 launch was wild. There was no text chat, yes... But there was voice chat. Your mic went hot at the start of character creation. While youre pushing the knobs and sliders on your face anybody else making a character spawns next to you with a newly hot, never notified mic.

It was magical, the kinda discovery that occurs when a wive starts shouting over a shoulder into the computer, and having a different nerd's wife shout over her husband's shoulder right back through the computer.

As soon as me and that dude got to the first overseer camp we went opposite directions into the wilderness never to see each other again. It was the most concentrated social.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Star Citizen dipshits still think there are gonna be thousands of players happy to be space janitors, baristas, and office workers who support the brave captains that fly out into space.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I kinda feel sad for the players from the Appalachian regions who were like "holy poo poo, we're getting a Fallout game in our region!!! .... oh."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'm glad they managed to mostly right the ship.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Megazver posted:

I kinda feel sad for the players from the Appalachian regions who were like "holy poo poo, we're getting a Fallout game in our region!!! .... oh."

That’s why there was no text chat at launch. They knew their regional audience.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
There's still no text chat without mods.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Really wish the various buff items at camps were just one click and done like the +int thing. Annoying to have to sleep in a bed, lift weights, play an instrument, etc. Sure I don't NEED the buffs but it's obnoxious.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Eiba posted:

Though I would have paid extra for a version that let me explore it by myself. I probably would have loved this game and its atmosphere if it weren't an MMO.

I would have *bought* it if it hadn't been an MMO. At release, even.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Played Fallout 4 with proper headphones for the first time. I hadn't realised how good the sound design was. I mean it's no Halo but still good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Played Fallout 4 with proper headphones for the first time. I hadn't realised how good the sound design was. I mean it's no Halo but still good.

Yea I have only been playing FO76 with headphones and I think the foley might be too good? I can hear ghouls scrambing towards me 3 rooms away, or Scorched speaking. Its quiet terrifying sometimes, other times Its just "please hurry up an attack me".

I though this event would kinda suck based on what you have to do for it, but nope, the Mothman event is pretty quick and easy. Plus got the throne from the first completion. I figured the Mothman emote is also a reward from this event?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

If any of the new goon players are at 50 and starting a bloodied build I have a starter set of unyielding armor pieces 1-3 star they could have.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

That's generous, and bloodied is a very fun build. Might want to mention the platform you play on, as there's still no cross play. Nor is there likely ever going to be.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I figured the Mothman emote is also a reward from this event?

No. There are two Mothman emotes, that I know of, and both are a part of different bundles from the Atom store. None are on right now.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I recently had to explain to a friend how Unyielding and Bloodied work, so a couple of notes for anyone who wants to try.

Unyielding:

Unyielding armor gives the max benefits of +3 to all stats minus Endurance at or below 20% health. It not boosting Endurance means that low levels are glass cannons because they don't have access to Legendary Perks to boost special stats and slot in more perks. That doesn't mean that they die more, it means they die faster. The punishment for death is losing all the junk you carry with you so unless you happen to run around with a lot of Flux it's not really something most people care about.

For Stealth Commando, Leather armor is perfectly fine. Any armor will do, really, but Leather armor can be Shadow modded to increase stealth. Not good for Melee, it's not absorbing enough damage to keep you alive while you go ham on a ton of mobs.

Absolute endgame is SS. Or BoS armor, which is slightly worse. For the second star you want Powered (Increased AP Refresh). For the third star you want two pieces with Acrobats to completely negate the fall damage and the other 3 with Sentinel (75% chance to reduce damage by 15% while standing still. That's per piece, so it can stack to 45%). This will take time. A lot of time. ;)

Covert Scout is, without a doubt, the best armor for stealth builds but this not only takes as long to roll as the above two it also costs caps because mods have to be bought. You also can't use a Jetpack with it.

For non Stealth builds, you want Cavalier instead of Sentinel. Same buff but for moving around.

Bloodied:

Bloodied weapons, be it ranged or Melee, deal the most damage at or below 5% health. This is absolutely not desirable because at that threshold it's entirely possible that even a Radroach nibbling on your shins will kill you. Most Bloodied players aim for 20% health. That's 80% more damage and, quite frankly, does the job just fine.

Unyielding and Bloodied weapons alone aren't what makes this playstyle so high damage and fun. To get the most out of it you need to take a couple more steps.

1) Get mutated with Adrenal Reaction. That's a good mutation to have in general because below 20% health you deal another 50% more damage. If you play in a group and have Strange in Numbers equipped, it's 63%.

2) Since you are now mutated, you need to slot in Starched Genes to prevent you from accidentially removing the mutations you have when you use Radaway (normal or diluted) or run through an active decon arch. Also, using Rad-X will suppress any and all mutations for 10 minutes. Use Rad-X Diluted or, even better, Radshield instead.

3) The Class Freak perk. Some people will claim that it is needed at all times but they are wrong. Class Freak is ONLY needed if you play several builds on just ONE character. If you go for a min/max Bloodied build you want to start a new character and handpick your mutations. However, this is nitpicking and since most people use just one character for everything anyways Class Freak is a must.

4) Slot in Nerd Rage. Below 20% health you gain 20% more damage resist, deal 10% more damage and regen AP 15% faster.

5) Herbivore or Carnivore. If you go Melee, you want Carnivore. For ranged, Herbivore.

6) Life Giver. Since Unyielding doesn't buff Endurance, Life Giver is a good perk if you play low health Melee or anything Bloodied that is not Stealth. It's not needed for a Stealth Commando.

Quick note on PA: If you play Bloodied in Power Armor, PA can't be Unyielding. That was tested on the PTS and I actually agree with the reason for it to be removed. It was insanely OP. Instead, go for Overeaters on all 5 pieces for maximum survivability. Second and third star should be AP Refresh and Sentinel/Cavalier, depending on what you want. Sentinel if you want to play stationary, Cavalier if you are moving around a lot.

There's more but I think that covering the basics will do. If there are any questions, just ask. :)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sensenmann posted:

No. There are two Mothman emotes, that I know of, and both are a part of different bundles from the Atom store. None are on right now.

Ah that's too bad. I got the good stuff from the first time I did it then.

I've been trying to do I have become death but all 3 times I've gotten to the part where you have to blow up the mainframe the laser grids won't deactivate and I can't proceed. I kinda feel like just ignoring this, its not very fun to run though these gauntlet of endless enemies while you run around doing little tasks.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Ah that's too bad. I got the good stuff from the first time I did it then.

I've been trying to do I have become death but all 3 times I've gotten to the part where you have to blow up the mainframe the laser grids won't deactivate and I can't proceed. I kinda feel like just ignoring this, its not very fun to run though these gauntlet of endless enemies while you run around doing little tasks.

Silos are extremely tedious which is why most of us glitch them.

Anyways, make sure you actually destroy all the mainframe cores. A single intact one keeps the laser grid up. Here's a legit silo run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwRqdPRVXYc

If you don't want to do it simply join a high level and let them run the Silo. Doesn't take long.

I Am Become Death completes for you even if it's your teammate that does the run.

Come to think of it, I haven't done a legit run in ages. Might jump on private and remind myself of how boring this is. :v:

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 5, 2022

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sensenmann posted:

Silos are extremely tedious which is why most of us glitch them.

Anyways, make sure you actually destroy all the mainframe cores. A single intact one keeps the laser grid up. Here's a legit silo run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwRqdPRVXYc

If you don't want to do it simply join a high level and let them run the Silo. Doesn't take long.

I Am Become Death completes for you even if it's your teammate that does the run.

Come to think of it, I haven't done a legit run in ages. Might jump on private and remind myself of how boring this is. :v:

Yea i got 2 of them, but the 3rd 4th was shown to be in the floor. I figured it would just be a gauntlet where i had to get from point a to point b while being attacked by robots, and 6k 5mm would do it. Nope, I spent so much time trying to get through those laser grids i used it all up.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i got 2 of them, but the 3rd 4th was shown to be in the floor. I figured it would just be a gauntlet where i had to get from point a to point b while being attacked by robots, and 6k 5mm would do it. Nope, I spent so much time trying to get through those laser grids i used it all up.

6k? That's pretty much normal for your first run since you have no real clue what to do.

If you have the chinese stealth suit, use that and do everything as stealthy as possible. You don't have to murder everything that's in your way, only the bots and turrets in the final room need to die. Or kneecapped, whatever you prefer.

Or, as stated above, join a high level and ask them to either run the silo or go in with you.

As an alternative, look up the camera glitch. That's how most of us do it anyways since the rewards are rear end, robots in silos give forgettable amounts of XP and it takes too long to do the legit way. 6 minutes is ok, 30 or more, is not.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sensenmann posted:

6k? That's pretty much normal for your first run since you have no real clue what to do.

If you have the chinese stealth suit, use that and do everything as stealthy as possible. You don't have to murder everything that's in your way, only the bots and turrets in the final room need to die. Or kneecapped, whatever you prefer.

Or, as stated above, join a high level and ask them to either run the silo or go in with you.

As an alternative, look up the camera glitch. That's how most of us do it anyways since the rewards are rear end, robots in silos give forgettable amounts of XP and it takes too long to do the legit way. 6 minutes is ok, 30 or more, is not.

Ooh i guess its time to finally make my stealthy sniper build.

Sneaking around seems like a way better idea than clomping around shooting everything. And yea, the loot and xp from this is pretty crummy.

The Radiation dummy isn't a mannequin is it?

And when the daily has "kill a cryptid" is there any guaranteed places where mothman or a sheepsquach or something spawns?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

How do you glitch the silos?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Ooh i guess its time to finally make my stealthy sniper build.

Sneaking around seems like a way better idea than clomping around shooting everything. And yea, the loot and xp from this is pretty crummy.

The Radiation dummy isn't a mannequin is it?

And when the daily has "kill a cryptid" is there any guaranteed places where mothman or a sheepsquach or something spawns?

Radiation dummy? Is this on the Atomic store right now?

And for the Kill a Cryptid daily hop over to the trainyard east of Watoga. 6 or so Snallygasters spawn there.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

How do you glitch the silos?

Photo mode. Basically, you get as close to a door as possible, open photomode, move forward and close it. If done right you glitch through the door. I've found it works best if you aim for the corners.

That way you can skip everything minus the Biometric ID card part.

This can be done with pretty much all locked doors, the obvious exception being doors that lead to interior cells.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I just wish the game gave you the ability to skip major portions of the nuke silo after doing them a number of times.