Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
There is a woman on an elliptical machine behind me having a very loud conversation on her phone that I can hear above my listening of the latest Rewatchables podcast on Misery.

I'm honestly a little impressed at her volume TBH.

Edit: she's crying & yelling "DO NOT CALL ME A LIAR!" She's still going on the elliptical too, and I can't turn around to look without being obvious.

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spent most of four days in the Klamath national forest at a PCT trailhead (couple miles up from Seiad Valley) with a small class of horticulturists. Hiked a few miles at some elevation looking at one of the two most plant-species-diverse locations in north america (the other is in the Appalachians). Sunday included a drive up to the top parking lot on Shasta and a hike up there. We had a fantastic time, I took nearly a thousand photos of rare plants, we fed grateful half-starved PCT through-hikers and also rescued a couple who were through-hiking with their infant on their backs (!) by driving them out to Yreka because mom was developing a serious case of sciatica she'd only had "treated" by a chiropractor.

Here's a tiny selection of photos, just to get a taste of it.

I had my macro lens on almost the whole time since we were focusing on the plants, so these are mostly close-up money shots but I took the first two with my phone. This last pic is of some rain on Shasta, we were about 30 or 40 miles away on that day looking across a couple ranges at the volcano.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
klamath is so stupidly pretty, I need to go back

also jfc, everyone has lost their minds https://twitter.com/LisaA311/status/1544294009132154880?s=20&t=PBfOTYVhOMPc4gSLYhGU6g

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Great pics Leper, thanks for sharing!

I finally got to get some fishing in over the long weekend and we ended up with 30 walleye. It was a great time.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Ooh I now want to get back into fishing. I used to do that as a kid & the PNW has some great spots my friends go to.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

LeeMajors posted:

When I found out this is called a "bindle," it totally rocked the foundation of my nascent vocabulary forged in Looney Tunes.

How would you know where some other hobo put their beans in otherwise?!?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't think I've ever eaten walleye, is it tasty? Just treat it like a trout, fry it up in butter?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Walleye is tasty and somewhat difficult to get because its most successful angling requires fishing in pretty close to darkness and in the northern US and that's a recipe to die by exsanguination from mosquitoes

Deep fried walleye is pretty popular in Minnesota

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Ooh I now want to get back into fishing. I used to do that as a kid & the PNW has some great spots my friends go to.

Do it! Fishing is such a fun and mostly relaxing activity.

Leperflesh posted:

I don't think I've ever eaten walleye, is it tasty? Just treat it like a trout, fry it up in butter?

I'm not a big fan of fish in general but I'll eat walleye. It's good fried or grilled. My wife seasoned some up and grilled it yesterday. I like to toss it in seasoned batter and fry up fish nuggets.

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 5, 2022

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Submitted earnest money for the house, inspection is happening at 3pm, fuuuuck this is happening

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

seiferguy posted:

Submitted earnest money for the house, inspection is happening at 3pm, fuuuuck this is happening

House warming party soon?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
How can any of yall afford to buy anything in this market

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Android Apocalypse posted:

There is a woman on an elliptical machine behind me having a very loud conversation on her phone that I can hear above my listening of the latest Rewatchables podcast on Misery.

I'm honestly a little impressed at her volume TBH.

Edit: she's crying & yelling "DO NOT CALL ME A LIAR!" She's still going on the elliptical too, and I can't turn around to look without being obvious.

You should absolutely stare her down. Jesus Christ, take it somewhere private lady

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Who said I could afford it :smug:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Sue…sue sue sue, only way to make it in this country. Wife’s estranged mom was killed by a semi truck and the insurance settlement paid for our house.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I found out I can't get lasik on Friday, but one of the surgeons just called me to let me know I could do ICL surgery which only costs over twice as much as lasik, but will make up for my pitifully thin corneas.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

a neat cape posted:

I live in Michigan, so while it's crazy it isn't California or Seattle or Portland crazy.

My brother is doing us a massive solid letting us rent his house so we can put ours up for sale next week.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kalli posted:

I found out I can't get lasik on Friday, but one of the surgeons just called me to let me know I could do ICL surgery which only costs over twice as much as lasik, but will make up for my pitifully thin corneas.

Can you just, I dunno, wear glasses?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
If you want to look like a NERD

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Can you just, I dunno, wear glasses?

Yeah, but who am I to deny myself cyborg eyes?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

a sexual elk posted:

Sue…sue sue sue, only way to make it in this country. Wife’s estranged mom was killed by a semi truck and the insurance settlement paid for our house.

How many goons in chat are living off their wife's money?

Y'all truly living the dream.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Sorry about your Dad Fiz. It sounds like he's surrounded by loving, intelligent family and being treated by a highly competent medical team. For such a tough situation that's about as good as it gets.

You're a good son Fiz.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Kalli posted:

Yeah, but who am I to deny myself cyborg eyes?

fwiw my wife says it's the best money she's ever spent on herself, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Pretty sure that math means she would have paid twice as much for whatever that alternative is.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I am a LASIK acolyte and will sing its praises until I'm out to death by the angry mobs.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I got LASIK when I was in medical school because didn't want to deal with glasses and contacts in general or the OR in particular. Also, student discount and we had the #1 Eye Hospital in the country. It was great, the most surprising thing is that when I got home I just immediately went to sleep (purposely scheduled the last appointment of the day and then took a sleeping pill when I got home to knock me out). Anyways, when I woke up my immediate thought was that I fell asleep with my glasses on because the turn around was that fast to being able to see that much better. It still takes a week or two to stabilize and heal, but like overnight you get to like 75%.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Cool thing about PRK is you get a benzo or painkiller script with it

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Amy Pole Her posted:

How many goons in chat are living off their wife's money?

Y'all truly living the dream.

My wife is living off my money lol, though there is an unspoken agreement in place that we will start living off of hers when (if?) her startup takes off.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

a neat cape posted:

we bought in 2013, so go back in time if you can

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Pron on VHS posted:

Cool thing about PRK is you get a benzo or painkiller script with it

They also passed out Valium like candy in the waiting room when I got my PRK (worth it)

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

JPrime posted:

we bought in 2013, so go back in time if you can

:same:

Set the Dolorean to Q1 2013, and please warn past me that the copper is going to get stolen after our offer is accepted

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Yep

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
Yeah I did LASIK right before covid shut everything down. My only regret is I didn't too it before I was in my mid 30s. Easily one of my best decisions.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Man, RRR kicks rear end. Didn't care much for the anti-colonialist bent, but still Grade A entertainment.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
LASIK was the single biggest quality of life thing I've done, and would recommend it to anyone considering it. Being able to walk out of the procedure room reading the clock that just 15 minutes before was a white blob was amazing.

Eifert Posting posted:

A podcast I listen to namedropped Vincent VonGoatse out of nowhere

A Good Podcast

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

What was the biggest QOL improvement? I'm so used to wearing glasses/contacts that I have no problem using them or wearing them. To me it would literally just be the convenience of not having to deal with them (and maybe being able to open my eyes underwater? Ha) and that's not a problem for me.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's always a little bit weird for me hearing political and history podcasts citing something awful.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

a neat cape posted:

The city I bought in peaked and prices are coming down. The interest rate hike also scared off buyers too. The house I got had been on the market for 2 weeks and no one had made an offer on it yet.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Dango Bango posted:

What was the biggest QOL improvement? I'm so used to wearing glasses/contacts that I have no problem using them or wearing them. To me it would literally just be the convenience of not having to deal with them (and maybe being able to open my eyes underwater? Ha) and that's not a problem for me.

Not having glasses fog up when going from cold to warm (or with masking). Not having to worry about contact hygiene poo poo and having supplies. Being able to wear any pair of sunglasses with prescription lens. You basically cut out alot of minor, but constant irritations from your life.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That sounds amazing but the reason I'm most interested is not having to worry about losing my eyesight if poo poo goes down and I'm without corrective lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

seiferguy posted:

The city I bought in peaked and prices are coming down. The interest rate hike also scared off buyers too. The house I got had been on the market for 2 weeks and no one had made an offer on it yet.

Perhaps my problem is living in San Diego