Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

just lol if the 4070 has less memory bandwidth than my 3070

I know cache is magic but that's still nickel and diming people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

just lol if the 4070 has less memory bandwidth than my 3070

I know cache is magic but that's still nickel and diming people

I did a deeper dive into announced gddr6/6x chips the last time this rumor was reported. Basically I think either 160bit or 18Gbps is wrong in that spec. GDDR6 up to 24Gbps exists now, if it’s 160bit then it’s probably faster gddr6.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The idea I guess is that 2.5 - 2.7GHz are actually fairly conservative and efficient clock speeds for this architecture and node combination, .....4090 could have a lot of overclocking headroom
If its over 400w at those clocks (which are high for a stock GPU, stock 3080 is ~1500-1700Mhz for a 8nm chip, different arch. but still) then that sure seems to be the opposite of conservative and efficient.

Whats more likely is they pushed the clocks as hard as they could get away with on air and ended up with a real high TDP. Given that its a huge monolithic die GPU, with relatively high stock clocks for that sort've chip, expecting great overclocks (ie. 30%+) even with water is probably unreasonable.

Water cooling and a whole lot more power might get you some OK to decent OC's (10-20%) is my WAG. Would explain some of the more insane (700-800w+) TDP's that have popped up for the OC oriented versions.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If its over 400w at those clocks (which are high for a stock GPU, stock 3080 is ~1500-1700Mhz for a 8nm chip, different arch. but still) then that sure seems to be the opposite of conservative and efficient.

Whats more likely is they pushed the clocks as hard as they could get away with on air and ended up with a real high TDP. Given that its a huge monolithic die GPU, with relatively high stock clocks for that sort've chip, expecting great overclocks (ie. 30%+) even with water is probably unreasonable.

Water cooling and a whole lot more power might get you some OK to decent OC's (10-20%) is my WAG. Would explain some of the more insane (700-800w+) TDP's that have popped up for the OC oriented versions.

AD102 is a massive GPU with a huge FP32 count. The 4090 supposedly has 60% more CUDA cores than the 3090 with "just" a 28% TDP increase. So I genuinely don't think the 450W TDP represents them pushing clocks to the extreme. I think that should be considered a pretty normal TDP for a GPU with a transistor count like the 4090. Future versions (4090 Ti, Ada Titan) could see the TDP explode to 600W or more. That's when they'll really be pushing clocks.

The 4080 on the other hand having a 420W TDP with so many fewer cores than the 4090 does potentially represent an attempt by Nvidia to push stock clock speeds to the limit.

edit: and I mean, RDNA2 manages to be pretty power efficient at 2.5 GHz, so it's not like this is an impossible task.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 5, 2022

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

So I genuinely don't think the 450W TDP represents them pushing clocks to the extreme.
I've no doubt that they got some efficiency improvements in there but that still doesn't make the final products' over all power draw efficient or the clocks conservative.

edit: and I mean, RDNA2 manages to be pretty power efficient at 2.5 GHz, so it's not like this is an impossible task.
Hypothetically sure, but if the details that keep leaking of the actual card say otherwise than I don't see the point in saying this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm not saying it's going to be amazingly efficient at 450W lol. I'm just saying that the clocks may not be as high on the 4090 as the other SKUs, possibly because Nvidia ran into the thermal limits of air cooling before they ran into the stability limits they usually stop at.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

I'm just saying that the clocks may not be as high on the 4090 as the other SKUs, possibly because Nvidia ran into the thermal limits of air cooling before they ran into the stability limits they usually stop at.
Those top end halo cards tend to have the best (or nearly so) dies though. So clocks and power characteristics are likely about as good as you can expect on them. And as a high end halo part NV tends to push everything as much as possible.

I think most of the leaks have clocks being fairly close among the top end 4xxx GPU's anyways. The big differentiators appears to be in the on die cache and compute units for the GPU dies themselves.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
My underclocked FTW3 3080Ti is already pumping out some serious heat to the point I am concerned about my PC heating my room during the summer right now. Ive even bought extra fan for the room to try and keep things cool.

These 4xxx are going to operate like god drat ovens baking a pizza every time I play a game. This poo poo is getting bonkers.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's alright, at least electricity is getting cheaper at the same time.

Oh :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Slayerjerman posted:

My underclocked FTW3 3080Ti is already pumping out some serious heat to the point I am concerned about my PC heating my room during the summer right now. Ive even bought extra fan for the room to try and keep things cool.

These 4xxx are going to operate like god drat ovens baking a pizza every time I play a game. This poo poo is getting bonkers.

Hang a custom loop radiator out your window.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Radiators are just kind of ACs right?

Could you in theory plumb a custom loop to an ac unit? I honestly have no idea if something like that would even work. You'd have to ventilate it through a window or I guess some sort of duct though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Could you in theory plumb a custom loop to an ac unit? I honestly have no idea if something like that would even work. You'd have to ventilate it through a window or I guess some sort of duct though

Pretty sure Linus Tech Tips did this

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Specifically a water chiller, and yes you can do that.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Elvis_Maximus posted:

You know what would be cool is to have a small closet to keep the PC running with an AC in there, and run cables to your desk. You could use server fans and all that since noise won't be an issue any more.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no, air conditioners and radiators are quite different. air conditioners rely on compressing and decompressing a gas to pump heat out of air and into a convenient exhaust somewhere (air conditioners cannot reduce overall temperature without this exhaust, law of thermodynamics). this is incredibly energy intensive - most of it goes out the exhaust however and that's why it lowers the temperature of your target environment, ideally.

radiators are much simpler - the heat is generated by the CPU and heats up the IHS, which allows good contact with the cooler if mounting and paste are done correctly. the heat is then carried by heat pipes which use various phase shifts of liquid to carry the heat energy up and into the array of metal fins, which have a ton of surface area and are very conductive. then the attached fan provides lots of air over those fins and voila, heat is dissipated and your component is cooled. the heat is only transferred to the case but your casefans do the rest.

you can totally hook an AC up to a loop if you want and can rip it up to make a big loop but it makes a loving ton of heat. aquarium chillers are easier and the same idea. used for extreme overclocking that isn't quite at the LN2 level.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Elvis_Maximus posted:

AC units compress and decompress a refrigerant that vaporizes on one side of the loop (absorbing a ton of heat in the process) and condenses on the other side (releasing all of the heat). It's a completely different process from water cooling.

You can do wacky things with liquid cooling though, such as plumbing your coolant to radiators outside your house (linus tech tips made a video series about this like 5 years ago now). I've heard of one person who plumbed their coolant through a concrete basement floor so their PC also heated their floor.

edit: LTT also did a video using a refrigeration loop recently but it wasn't really like what you're thinking.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 5, 2022

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Kind of but not really. Air Conditioners use phase changing gases to draw heat out of the air inside and dump it outside via the outside coil and fan. The abuse of physics and phase changing via compression is how we're able to get sub-ambient temperatures inside versus outside.

PC water cooling uses just water to transfer heat, but because there's no phase changing, you cannot get the water colder than the ambient temperature of your radiator.

So if you hooked up a PC loop to use an outdoor AC coil you could use it to dump surplus heat from the PC but it would never be cooler than the outside air.

You could also in theory setup a PC cooling loop that did use phase changing gas like an air conditioner and while that would get you sub-ambient temperatures, you will have to then deal with condensation all over your CPU and GPU because they're now cold.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

SpartanIvy posted:

You could also in theory setup a PC cooling loop that did use phase changing gas like an air conditioner and while that would get you sub-ambient temperatures, you will have to then deal with condensation all over your CPU and GPU because they're now cold.

And that's why I think it would be neat to have a tiny air conditioned room just for a PC, and have it preferably close enough to a desk for DisplayPort cables to work.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just have an air conditioner in the room that both you and the PC enjoy.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i legit like finding loops that do something with the heat and feel like you could do better than pool if you really wanted. can't be that hard to hook it up to a boiler or something and offset some hot water costs.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

CoolCab posted:

i legit like finding loops that do something with the heat and feel like you could do better than pool if you really wanted. can't be that hard to hook it up to a boiler or something and offset some hot water costs.

"Honey I'm going to take a shower, fire up Furmark!" :v:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

LRADIKAL posted:

My PC radiates heat around me at my desk while the rest of my room is 5 degrees cooler. A floor fan helps but it's still not ideal.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Does it radiate heat significantly, or do you mean it blows heat at you? Aim the AC's output towards the PC or aim the PC's output towards the AC's input.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I wonder if this supposed heavy order of 4090 parts from Nvidia means we can actually acquire one at launch.

The 65 inch Samsung QD OLED seems like the money move pairing. Apparently it even overclocks to 4K/144? Which is completely doable for the 4090 given everything we know about how powerful it will be.

Just curious- are you guys in the market for Lovelace? If so, what chip, and why? I'm mainly curious because the stack is so weird, with the 4090 being in a whole other world performance wise from the 4080.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Did I not read about Hall effect coolers becoming a thing? Or did I dream it.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I think my 5900x/3080 pairing will be good for a while until I move to an eventual AM5/4080ti machine, give it another year or so, DDR5 prices should settle by then along with motherboards. I don't see any games to get super hyped about in 2023 as of yet, maybe as we get more unreal 5 engine games.

The Samsung S95b I think is compelling enough to get me to switch from LG OLED, I think i'll wait for Gen2 for Samsung to sort a few things out with their new tech though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there any power consumption rumors from the AMD equivalent of the RTX 4000 series?

buglord fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 5, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

buglord posted:

Are there any power consumption links from the AMD equivalent of the RTX 4000 series?

AMD has gone out there and said their RDNA3 cards will consume power power than their RDNA2 cards, though less than Nvidia's new cards. From this interview:

quote:

"Performance is king," stated Naffziger, "but even if our designs are more power-efficient, that doesn't mean you don't push power levels up if the competition is doing the same thing. It's just that they'll have to push them a lot higher than we will."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just lol if you haven’t already installed a dryer vent in your PC room to vent the heat out.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MarcusSA posted:

Just lol if you haven’t already installed a dryer vent in your PC room to vent the heat out.

If current trends continue for even one more generation, this will absolutely be worthwhile.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Collateral posted:

Did I not read about Hall effect coolers becoming a thing? Or did I dream it.

There’s been thermoelectric coolers like this one that Intel briefly pushed with ek: https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop/quantumx-delta-tec-sub-ambient-cooling/

I believe the problem with sub ambient stuff like that is that you don’t have the power and space inside a PC to do something meaningful.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

MarcusSA posted:

I'm planning on a custom built geothermal setup myself.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

LRADIKAL posted:

This is basically my home office - it has a 1.5 ton minisplit dedicated to it (it was only going to be one ton, but the unit was upgraded at no cost to 1.5 by the installer, and the room faces the sun all day and bakes, so it needed more cooling).

It’s pretty great though - the unit keeps the room around 72-74 deg F, depending on time of day, and my gaming rig is always nice and chilly.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Wow, time is a circle… Peltier coolers were the next big thing for cpu cooling in the 2000’s for a while. Theyre horribly inefficient, but maybe they’ll be more viable this time. I think the tech is neat barring efficiency concerns.

That an condensation concerns

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So not for gaming, but for 3D renders, you need large chunks of VRAM normally, even if it's super efficient because it has to hold everything right? I'm not 100% how the hardware and software interacts for say, Daz or Blender, is the 4XXX line going to have more VRAM or would it be better to save up for a 3090 for the 24gigs?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah for offline rendering you want enough VRAM to hold your entire scene, performance rapidly drops off otherwise

per a fairly reliable leaker the 4070 will supposedly have 10gb, the 4080 will have 16gb, and the 4090 will have 24gb

so you'll get more VRAM at most tiers, except the halo flagship which hasn't changed

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

namlosh posted:

Wow, time is a circle… Peltier coolers were the next big thing for cpu cooling in the 2000’s for a while. Theyre horribly inefficient, but maybe they’ll be more viable this time. I think the tech is neat barring efficiency concerns.

That an condensation concerns

not to mention it makes tons of heat which goes into your room.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I built a new PC but I kept my own case. I have a Radeon RX 6700 XT and a sound card, and with the placement of the fastest PCIe slot (where I installed the GPU) there was only one option where I could install the sound card, which was very close under the GPU. There is maybe 1/4 inch between them, which gives the GPU fans not a lot of clearance for intake. Is that a potential problem?

I ran a 60 second stress test using the Radeon software, and GPU temp never went above 71 C. Does that sound okay, and is that a realistic ceiling that I'd see when playing games? I've been getting a crash to desktop when playing Hunt Showdown, which I never had problems with before, and it occurred to me that the GPU might be getting too hot and leading to a crash in the game. I don't know if that sort of thing causes that sort of crash, but regardless I'm considering the possibility of removing the sound card to get better GPU temperatures if there seems to be an upside to doing so.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Racing Stripe posted:

I built a new PC but I kept my own case. I have a Radeon RX 6700 XT and a sound card, and with the placement of the fastest PCIe slot (where I installed the GPU) there was only one option where I could install the sound card, which was very close under the GPU. There is maybe 1/4 inch between them, which gives the GPU fans not a lot of clearance for intake. Is that a potential problem?

I ran a 60 second stress test using the Radeon software, and GPU temp never went above 71 C. Does that sound okay, and is that a realistic ceiling that I'd see when playing games? I've been getting a crash to desktop when playing Hunt Showdown, which I never had problems with before, and it occurred to me that the GPU might be getting too hot and leading to a crash in the game. I don't know if that sort of thing causes that sort of crash, but regardless I'm considering the possibility of removing the sound card to get better GPU temperatures if there seems to be an upside to doing so.

71C is not even close to problematic for a radeon GPU. AMD uses more advanced temperature sensing than Nvidia to boost more aggressively, and their GPUs can manage hotspot ("junction") temps of 100C or more (usually the average die temp will be in the 80s during this).

That said, 60 seconds is not very long for a stress test. It's possible that a real sustained load is getting it hotter. Try running furmark for 5 - 10 minutes and see how hot your GPU gets. That is an unrealistically intense sustained load, so if the temps are reasonable during that, then your GPU should be able to handle anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There are plenty of ways to monitor temps in practice and get a more realistic measurement, but I can already say1/4" isn't much and more importantly what the gently caress are you using a PCI-E sound card for in 2022?