Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Ok fine but I’m not volunteering, I just like things organized.

What I need is organization for the stupid kid poo poo, it takes up the third bay generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

High enough ceiling for a little mezzanine or an overhead ceiling rack?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

devmd01 posted:

Ok fine but I’m not volunteering, I just like things organized.

What I need is organization for the stupid kid poo poo, it takes up the third bay generally.

Looks pretty good, but uh, did you notice how your batteries aren’t all neatly lined up by size? Shameful.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm always amazed how a couple bikes take up the space of a vehicle.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm always amazed how a couple bikes take up the space of a vehicle.

There are some good storage devices (most of which amount to a big hook) for storing bikes on the wall. It’s actually super convenient but does make it a lot more difficult for a kid to get them down or put them away. This is the one I have and it’s so cheap and good.

builds character fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 22, 2022

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I have a tall garage ceiling (11 or 12') and my bike is stored up high on the off season. Kid bikes though I don't have a great solution for so they too take up part of my 3rd bay. :v:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Mastercool hydraulic brake flare tool arrived yesterday; I immediately opened it up to oogle my new purchase and noticed it was missing a few pieces:

As I was prepping my complaint/warranty replacement request I noticed the lid was heavy and rattly.

You know those puzzles with a marble in a box?

It took a while but I managed to get all the pieces out.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Time to stuff those cavities with foam. Then the box will be a "luxury storage case with premium sound damping". Value add!

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Man I need to just pull the trigger on that Mastercool set.

Anybody have strong feelings about the M12 extended ratchets? I'm leaning towards the 1/4 over the 3/8 because the head on the 3/8 is loving huge. I did see somebody that took the guts out of the original M12 3/8 ratchet and fit it in the 1/4 head.

e: I'm just gonna give the swap a shot and see how it works. The part number for the old 3/8 anvil assembly is 42-06-1030 and all it needs is about 1/16" shaved off the barrel on the selector side.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 1, 2022

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I just bought the 1/4” extended M12 ratchet but have yet to use it, will let you know how I like it. The head is nice and small.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The high speed M12 ratchet is worth looking at too. The complaints that I've seen have been more about the speed rather than the head size.

I use my non Fuel ratchet whenever I'm removing a lot of long bolts so I can see speed being a bigger factor.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 4, 2022

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It is a ratchet not an impact so not sure why people would complain about speed. I have the short and long ratchets and the long handle impact and most of the time use the ratchets anyway. Impacts are for breaking tight bolts and even then I use a breaker bar to start them so I can progressively control the force being applied and be able to feel if it is going to snap.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Big Taint posted:

I just bought the 1/4” extended M12 ratchet but have yet to use it, will let you know how I like it. The head is nice and small.

Ok I used it doing the coils/plugs on the E320 (loving 12 plugs grumble grumble). Was able to ratchet most of the plugs out with some persuasion, a couple needed me to muscle them all they way out, pretty sure they were original to the car so they were crusty. Definitely glad i got the extended ratchet. Body is a lot bulkier than the air ratchets I’m used to, but no hose is nice. I also realized that I had grabbed a mostly dead battery, so I may find that is has more oomph with a full one, didn’t notice till I was done. For this job the 3/8” would have fit everywhere I needed it to, it’s probably about the same size as the 1/4” and adapter I needed to turn the spark plug socket. This may mean I need to get the 3/8” ratchet as well.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Looks like there's redesigns of both extended M12 ratchets coming this fall. The head and the neck of the ratchet are one casting, and the 3/8 one looks like it uses the same anvil as the existing 3/8 high speed, so it's significantly slimmer.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
From the videos I’ve seen, it’s a long neck version of the high speed ratchet. Head profile looks a lot better to me, hopefully it comes out before my snap on guy gets the hi-viz colored brushless long neck in:shepicide:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Supposedly they come out in November. We'll see how that goes.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'll be waiting for the TTC feedback. Haha.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
So I spent most of yesterday fabricating and welding a bunch. I thought I was conscientious about PPE this time I thought. Boots instead of the steel toed sandals I like, cap on under the mask, the good long gloves and even the new leather apron purchased after I set my crotch on fire the last time I welded more than a little. Except no. Gave myself a painful sunburn on a sliver of bicep exposed between the t-shirt sleeve and the welding glove. In my defense it was hot in the garage. Maybe this is the time I finally learn. On the plus side I'm halfway done with a very very strong trellis archway for the wife's roses. I just know people are gonna use it for pullups.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Frank Dillinger posted:

From the videos I’ve seen, it’s a long neck version of the high speed ratchet. Head profile looks a lot better to me, hopefully it comes out before my snap on guy gets the hi-viz colored brushless long neck in:shepicide:

I haven't tried the snap on but for that price you can buy two m12 fuel kits that have the impact and ratchet. Is it really that nice?

Invalido posted:

So I spent most of yesterday fabricating and welding a bunch. I thought I was conscientious about PPE this time I thought. Boots instead of the steel toed sandals I like, cap on under the mask, the good long gloves and even the new leather apron purchased after I set my crotch on fire the last time I welded more than a little. Except no. Gave myself a painful sunburn on a sliver of bicep exposed between the t-shirt sleeve and the welding glove. In my defense it was hot in the garage. Maybe this is the time I finally learn. On the plus side I'm halfway done with a very very strong trellis archway for the wife's roses. I just know people are gonna use it for pullups.

I keep an old light flannel shirt handy after the last time I turned my arm into a candy cane, make sure it's 100% cotton.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I got a couple aramid milsurp coveralls from Ebay for like 20bux, they’re great for welding.

Fake edit: they are lightweight enough they don’t punish you too much on hot days.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a decent stud finder the thread suggests, the one I have seems almost worthless at actually detecting where a stud is. I say almost because it's about an inch off in one direction or another, having to go back and forth frequently to find the actual stud location. It's a zircon

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a decent stud finder the thread suggests, the one I have seems almost worthless at actually detecting where a stud is. I say almost because it's about an inch off in one direction or another, having to go back and forth frequently to find the actual stud location. It's a zircon

I never bother with the electronic ones anymore.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/C-H-Hanson-Magnetic-Stud-Finder-3040/202563186

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That says it only really works at finding nails in 1/2" drywall

a lot of this apartment is double sheeted, or like drywall on some weird thin wood sheeting before you get to the actual studs

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That sounds like it was done for fire resistance or shear strength reasons, so be careful working on those walls.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

SpeedFreek posted:

I haven't tried the snap on but for that price you can buy two m12 fuel kits that have the impact and ratchet. Is it really that nice?

If you’re comparing the current fuel ratchet and snap-on one, the issue I have is the head on the fuel is huge compared to the Snap-on. Other than that the Milwaukees have a paddle switch instead of a trigger button, the paddles do get caught up when you’re jamming your ratchet into an area with hoses and wiring harnesses.

There’s other brands of course, but I’m running a pile of M12 and M18 stuff along with a bunch of snap on 14.4 gear.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That says it only really works at finding nails in 1/2" drywall

a lot of this apartment is double sheeted, or like drywall on some weird thin wood sheeting before you get to the actual studs

I can't open the link to the home depot, but any sufficiently strong permanent magnet (or a stack of them in a pinch) will find and weakly stick to screw or nail heads through a second sheet of drywall. It takes patience and some masking tape but once you've found one head, mark it, look above or below it. If you find a straight vertical line of them there's your stud, and you can find the next stud over that much easier since you'll know where to look for it. Put some tape on the magnet itself too so it doesn't stain the wallpaper or paint.

Big Taint posted:

I got a couple aramid milsurp coveralls from Ebay for like 20bux, they’re great for welding.
That sounds fantastic. I'll keep an eye out for cheap aramid protective clothing, that stuff doesn't like burning at all. Costly though, but I might get lucky too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This one is great. If you are worried about wiring and stuff it won't detect that, but it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Franklin Sensors FS710PRO ProSensor 710+ Professional Stud Finder with 13-Sensors for the Highest Accuracy Detects Wood & Metal Studs with High Speed, Yellow https://a.co/d/6qNheCA

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wasabi the J posted:

This one is great. If you are worried about wiring and stuff it won't detect that, but it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Franklin Sensors FS710PRO ProSensor 710+ Professional Stud Finder with 13-Sensors for the Highest Accuracy Detects Wood & Metal Studs with High Speed, Yellow https://a.co/d/6qNheCA

This thing looks awesome, I hate using my normal one. I've tried with magnets and don't really like either method. Always seems hard to find the center of a stud which was a pain when my tv bracket was exactly 3 stud widths.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Suburban Dad posted:

This thing looks awesome, I hate using my normal one. I've tried with magnets and don't really like either method. Always seems hard to find the center of a stud which was a pain when my tv bracket was exactly 3 stud widths.

I've had mixed success with Franklin stud finders. I got a blue one a few years ago, and it worked perfectly. It was a dream to use, you could find studs with great accuracy. Unfortunately, I mis-shot a brad nail through the sensor pad and killed it.

I bought a new one, it was green then, and it works... okay. It's just so much more picky and less repeatable than my first one, it's disappointing.

I have no idea how well the yellow ones work, but they look almost identical form factor-wise.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I have a franklin m150 (yellow one), it works ok. don't know how well it works on double layer or plaster walls.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Cordless-3-8-in-Drill-Driver-Kit-with-1-5-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-PDD209K/312462410

I have this, or at least a year or so older version.

It is fine for the most part but it's not very strong with drilling

Would this be a decent upgrade or is there better?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-HP-18V-Brushless-Cordless-1-2-in-Drill-Driver-Tool-Only-PBLDD01B/314109432

I need a bit more torque when drilling, driving is whatever, I don't think I need help there.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

GreenBuckanneer posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Cordless-3-8-in-Drill-Driver-Kit-with-1-5-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-PDD209K/312462410

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-HP-18V-Brushless-Cordless-1-2-in-Drill-Driver-Tool-Only-PBLDD01B/314109432

I need a bit more torque when drilling, driving is whatever, I don't think I need help there.

I couldnt find a torque spec from a reputable source for the first drill. An eBay listing indicated 330 in lbs or less than half the $99 one, rated as 750 in lbs.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My 25ft measuring tapes are kind of crap and I want a new one. What’s the best one to ask for Christmas?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Torque test channel and project farm must be sharing notes or something, they both just uploaded videos comparing various thread repair solutions. Surprising result - drilled and tapped JB weld is actually pretty strong!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

I couldnt find a torque spec from a reputable source for the first drill. An eBay listing indicated 330 in lbs or less than half the $99 one, rated as 750 in lbs.

I just suffered through it today, but for $99 I may just buy that one I mentioned and sell the old one.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Suburban Dad posted:

Definitely listen to the pros but I have two Franklin stud finders, and had a third; I like them that much. I have been able to get 1/2" lag bolts centered every time on studs for floating shelves.

Project farm, as always, has tested a lot of stuff finders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWMJhfMPWn4

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

devmd01 posted:

My 25ft measuring tapes are kind of crap and I want a new one. What’s the best one to ask for Christmas?

Depends on what you want out of it, if you haw a few you might already have opinions. I like a big hook end, marked on both sides.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frank Dillinger posted:

Torque test channel and project farm must be sharing notes or something, they both just uploaded videos comparing various thread repair solutions. Surprising result - drilled and tapped JB weld is actually pretty strong!

TTC's comment on their own video makes them seem a bit salty but I appreciated both videos, especially since they tested different materials. Also crazy that nearly every proper thread solution exceeded the strength of the base material. Even the ones that didn't would still be sufficient for any automotive purpose.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The second drill will have much more torque for one simple reason: it has a two-speed gearbox that lets you choose "spin fast, less torque" or "spin slow, more torque". The two drills might have the same motors, but the gearbox in the more expensive model gives it an enormous advantage. It also appears to have a much nicer chuck. Bigger batteries (think 4 Ah, not 1.5 Ah) also seem to help drills.

What are you trying to drill into? If it is masonry (concrete), you might be better served with a hammer drill. If you are having a tough time drilling wood or soft/thin metal, some better drill bits might be what you need. And maybe get some kind of cutting fluid if you're trying to drill into metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

The second drill will have much more torque for one simple reason: it has a two-speed gearbox that lets you choose "spin fast, less torque" or "spin slow, more torque".
Judging by the speed ranges I'm pretty sure it's the fast mode that's missing, not the torque mode.