Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

m0therfux0r posted:

This is a bad idea. Just don't tell them what you're currently making. If they refuse to proceed, ask what their budget is or something like that to see if you're in the ballpark. If they still refuse to proceed, gently caress em- move on (unless you're in a *really* dire situation).

Sometimes (though definitely not always) after you accept an offer, the company will want W2s or pay stubs or some kind of proof of employment. Even a reasonable company could yank an offer if it becomes clear you were lying to them in the interview.

Redact the salary information from the W2s if you find yourself in this situation. “HR made me do it” if asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Dik Hz posted:

Redact the salary information from the W2s if you find yourself in this situation. “HR made me do it” if asked.

Yeah you can do that for sure (in fact that's what I did for my last background check), but it's still a bad idea to blatantly lie about your current salary in case they find out. It's really lovely that they even ask/try to find out what your current salary is, but it's still a bad idea to lie about it.

Companies that are otherwise reasonable will absolutely tank your offer over that if they find out you lied during the hiring process. As unlikely as it is that they could find out what your current salary is, it's better to focus on what you'll be making at the job you're being hired for instead of lying about what you currently make. And like I said, if they refuse to move forward without info on what you currently make, then it's time to walk (unless you're in a desperate position as I said- then accept the offer to pay the bills and keep looking for another job so you can move on ASAP).

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Dik Hz posted:

This is good to do, but I cannot stress enough that lying about your current compensation is really stupid. Not only is it "saying a number" (which is picking your own pocket), it is planting a seed for a potential opportunity-ruining event for absolutely no reason. You are in charge of the information you have and it is totally fine to withhold it for any reason or no reason at all. If you lie you are putting yourself in harms way for no benefit whatsoever.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I’m not saying to lie about salary guys. But if you’re vague in the front end don’t give them the info for free on the back end. It will only ever be used against you.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Paraphrasing one of the negotiation masters "don't lie because you don't have to"

I know I mention my grad school class every time I post here but this thread's best negotiators and people with PhDs in this poo poo agree. Don't lie, just refuse to give the information.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Be obstinate, not shifty.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
Just to be clear since there was a page break, the comments I was making (and I believe the comments Corla Plankun was making as well) about lying were directed at Pillowpants' post on the previous page, not Dik Hz mentioning that you should blank out your salary on W2s. Seems like a lot of replies on this page are regarding the latter, which is a totally fine and good thing you should be doing if a company requests your previous job's W2s.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’ve never had a company ask for prior W2s…. Seems intrusive

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Pillowpants posted:

Happens all the time. It's kind of a PITA, but it's always part of background after I have an accepted offer.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

Nor have I

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I had it happen once. I refused and they rescinded the offer. I dodged a huge bullet and ended up in a much better job a couple months later.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Yeah, I've never had this happen and it sounds absolutely bonkers. I'd definitely refuse if asked.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Pillowpants posted:

Same, seems kinda crazy to me, I have had multiple jobs with clearances and poo poo but no one has ever asked for a w2.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
The times I've been asked for W2s have just been for background checks when they couldn't reach the company to show proof of employment. I worked for a startup that went bankrupt a few years back, so I was asked to provide W2s for proof when I was hired at the next couple jobs that I had. I mentioned it a few pages back, but this was when I just went onto the IRS website, printed out my transcripts, blacked out all of the salary/private info, and then sent them along to the background check company.

If someone is asking you for W2s even after they've successfully contacted your former employer for a background check, then yeah, that's weird.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Does the US not have some kind of record of employment-like system as we have here in Canada?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Tax records are probably the best/most consistent you’re liable to get. A centralized, helpful system might give off the impression that any fucks are given about workers. We won’t put up with that communist nonsense!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I can just get a record either with or without payment info, it's quite common to give the one with just employment records to your new employer. Depending on a few things your years get added on and you get eligibility for additional PTO and such stuff. I think I get some sort of benefit after 12 years and all my time in the industry is carried over.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Evis posted:

Does the US not have some kind of record of employment-like system as we have here in Canada?

I work in HR for a company in US and CANADA and the ROE System in Canada is vastly to the…nothing… in the US.

You know how places verify employment? Hire a third party like hire right that sends forms to current employers.

So, this job I got that is having a third party send a verification of employment form for me, to me. Heh

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Please tell me you got to approve yourself.

Time-in-industry credit is largely at the whim of HR. I’ve had it added without asking and also been turned down plainly (not denying my experience but more generally “we don’t do that”).

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
When I got background checked for my current job the background check company couldn't get a response from a couple of my previous employers, hopefully because they had better things to do than to answer stupid questions nobody cares about.

The background checkers then asked ME if I could give them contact info on someone who could confirm my employment. Yes, let me give you the phone number to definitely not my buddy who could happily confirm I was Techno God and Lead Money Guy at Goldman Sachs if I asked him to.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Due to how small the security field is in Ireland the last two references I gave were literally a college friend and a dude I've known since I was four. Who also went to the same college.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I knew none of you could be trusted......

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Alright I signed the offer letter and the NDA, but the person who sends out background checks requests is out this week.

They don’t do a credit check, my lawsuits are a civil matter and I’ve got no criminal history.

I’m also the person they reach out to at my company to confirm employment.

I’m still nervous to give my notice at my current job without the background check finished. Thoughts?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

A bankruptcy and being named in legal action will show up on a background check won't it?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
The only time I did this (so far!) I told the new company that I would give my 2 weeks after everything was completed and 100% a done deal.

They had no issues with that strategy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I’d wait anyway, but especially with your prior challenges probably better to be sure.

Pulling for ya. You got this.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

A bankruptcy and being named in legal action will show up on a background check won't it?

I was upfront about the bankruptcy and they didn’t care.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

I was upfront about the bankruptcy and they didn’t care.

I'm pretty sure I remember you saying this exact same thing a year or two ago and then when HR found out about it they yanked the offer, right?

Not trying to piss in your Cheerios I promise. Just going along with the advice of wait until it's official, just in case!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Good advice regardless; the only hard part about waiting is finding the motivation to log in every day while waiting for the process to complete.

Still, if you look at both failure modes (informing early vs. informing late) there are some significant downsides to the former and almost none with the latter.

I'm pretty risk averse, though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's mostly about internalizing the fact that you don't owe your current/about to be former employer a drat thing.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

This very much depends on what type of background check is being conducted. In my experience paying for the credit check portion is for the money people/high high ups.

That said I would also wait until any and all contingent hire things are finished before putting in my notice.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I often think of my friend who accepted a verbal offer for a job he REALLY wanted and committed to a start date before he got the offer letter. The new manager didn't know why it was taking so long for HR to get it done. He put in his two weeks notice, broke his lease, made moving arrangements and everything.

Then the company restructured, laid off 20% of its workers, and outsourced the department he was going to. His offer was rescinded.

Do not move on anything until you have the contract in writing.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I missed out on giving my 2 weeks’ at an early job (where I could’ve used the $ payout) because I just didn’t trust until I had firm commitment on a new job. Might’ve been overkill but peace of mind (at least!) is worth something.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Even in writing they can always lay you off day one if the company is down sizing.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Whew, well then it's a good thing my current employer can't ever lay me off. Boy would that be embarrassing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

bamhand posted:

Even in writing they can always lay you off day one if the company is down sizing.

Sure the point is to try and minimize crap like that as much as you can. It's way more likely to have an offer rescinded at the last moment than it is to have a company go through the entire hiring and onboarding process to then lay you off.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i start a new job soon and I'm really wrestling with when i want to formally quit my old one given that lots of places are randomly freezing hiring

i think i might literally wait until the first new paycheck hits

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Corla Plankun posted:

i start a new job soon and I'm really wrestling with when i want to formally quit my old one given that lots of places are randomly freezing hiring

i think i might literally wait until the first new paycheck hits

That's a great way to end up with no job.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Yeah, that type of misfortune is why you have a 3-6 month emergency fund, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

bamhand posted:

This happened to me and like 40 others who were in a police academy, three weeks in 1/4th of the peeps got layoff notices due to the states inability to pass a budget, good stuff. At least they gave us the option to finish it, and figure out a job later...