Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Verisimilidude posted:

I keep thinking back to all the things I could've done wrong during my 6 months with this company. Did I take too much PTO? Did the fact that I didn't go to the optional office meetups bite me in the rear end? Did I not work hard or well enough? It sucks because there's really no way to get any definitive answers for any of this, and the most likely scenario is just that they needed someone for a few months but didn't advertise the position as such.

It sucks but I hope that's not the lesson you take into the next role. It sounds like they were going to let you go no matter what, so if anything you probably worked too hard and didn't take enough PTO. Take everything you can from every company you work for because that's exactly what they're doing to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Seconding this thread. I also lost my job end of last April and ended up getting a job through that thread! Not 100% sure what the current hiring focus is on, but I do remember my boss mentioning we're going to need a FE person soon, so...

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
That said, nobody will hire you until you learn and demonstrate the Oxford Comma on your site. It's useful, elegant, and correct. Might be why you were laid off, just sayin'

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Eats codes and leaves

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Thanks to all the replies! That first day I felt pretty terrible but after speaking to a bunch of people who have been in similar situations I feel a lot better. I had some time to process things and ultimately realized that I kind of hated that job anyway and I'm glad my time there is over.

I've since received around 9 interview offers from various companies, including a few I'm interested in. My fiance and I are planning a trip to Italy for a month since her job's season is over soon and she'll be on break for 5 weeks. The goal is to start work again sometime in August.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Hey all,

I know nothing about OAuth and setting up a "server" for it. Is there a good resource to figure this out? It can be in either Node, Python or C# or heck even PHP if that's a thing. I couldn't tell what is the "best" / most friendliest to use to set up a "server" (is that the right word?)

Thanks goons

edit: I guess i'm confused overall about OAuth lol. So I essentially want to program a middleware server and db that takes the API post from the log in provider and then sends data back?

worms butthole guy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 6, 2022

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Maybe check out something like Auth0 and mess around with their platform and SDKs?

https://auth0.com/docs/authenticate/protocols/oauth

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

I lost my job today. Still kind of reeling from it as it was very abrupt.

Lots of companies are realizing how much they're going to be struggling if they don't reduce burn. Lots of investor money is drying up so if they're expecting a series A/B/C as part of the plan...

The problem is then the easiest way to cut costs is to cut employees.

All you need is the sales team right..? Then the CEO learns that his golf buddy outsources to a polish engineering team (the Ukrainian team disappeared, you see..) so why are we spending money on all these folks just because they're in similar timezones??

Verisimilidude posted:

I keep thinking back to all the things I could've done wrong during my 6 months with this company.

It's really easy to get stuck in this kind of mindset. If nothing else, this is a failure from management to communicate with their charges which stinks of a deeper rooted problem. Given they'd threatened a previous employee to silence...

Like said above, I'd touch base with your hiring manager again. They might still be bound by their severance but I'd try getting them on the phone or in person to chat.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Edwardly posted:

Lots of companies are realizing how much they're going to be struggling if they don't reduce burn. Lots of investor money is drying up so if they're expecting a series A/B/C as part of the plan...

The problem is then the easiest way to cut costs is to cut employees.

All you need is the sales team right..? Then the CEO learns that his golf buddy outsources to a polish engineering team (the Ukrainian team disappeared, you see..) so why are we spending money on all these folks just because they're in similar timezones??

It's really easy to get stuck in this kind of mindset. If nothing else, this is a failure from management to communicate with their charges which stinks of a deeper rooted problem. Given they'd threatened a previous employee to silence...

Good advice. Just remember: the Capital class is out to gently caress you as hard as they can and have absolutely no care about you as a human being.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Maybe check out something like Auth0 and mess around with their platform and SDKs?

https://auth0.com/docs/authenticate/protocols/oauth

Auth0 is nice, has lots of documentation, and has examples for Blazor, React, Angular, pure JavaScript and others. It’s also free if your distinct users per month is small enough.

If you’re using React, I will pass on some hard-earned advice: If you see examples using the ‘@auth0/auth0-spa-js’ package, do yourself a favor and use the newer ‘@auth0/auth0-react’ package. It comes with its own hook/context (useAuth0). It is much more convenient to use since you don’t have to build your own hook/context. (Of course there is the distinct possibility that I just suck at creating my own hook and context.)

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Sweet thank you both. I was overthinking it and I guess all I really need to know is how to properly do refreshs

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Oddly enough, someone just shared this with me this morning
https://developer.okta.com/blog/2019/10/21/illustrated-guide-to-oauth-and-oidc

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Perfect!

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Kind of a web dev and business crossover question, but if I wanted to place peoples' ads on my website myself, how would I do that?

To elaborate:

* I got a direct inquiry for paid placement, so I assume I can't use adsense or other kinds of these programs where I don't have control over which ads are shown?

* I'm assuming there's got to be open source or paid middleware for people to integrate right? I'm googling phrases but I have so little idea what I'm doing that all the jargon that pops up confuses me. If I had to make one from scratch, I'd imagine I'd need javascript code to track impressions and click conversions and then tally up the invoices monthly based on CPM. But I don't want to roll my own because I have no idea what I'm doing.

* I'm using SvelteKit if that makes anything in particular stand out. I found this, but I don't think this is a complete solution.

Is this one of those things that people don't even bother doing themselves?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Are you looking for something like Google’s tag manager?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Can you tell us more about this “direct inquiry” you received?

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

The Dave posted:

Are you looking for something like Google’s tag manager?

Oh, that could help partially. But I'd need to handle ad rotation and creating monthly invoices myself right?

mitztronic posted:

Can you tell us more about this “direct inquiry” you received?

Yeah I just got a cold email from someone asking if I do "paid placement" on my website and how much I charge and what the conditions were. That's ads right? I'm gonna look stupid if it's not...

To be honest, it's probably just a marketer jumping the gun because this site of mine gets almost no traffic and I won't hear back from them. But it made me realize that I have absolutely no idea how people did this before ad networks were a thing.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Depending on the website they might be looking for a review/advertorial as opposed to a banner ad

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Ah poo poo you're right. I think "paid placement" means a sponsored post or a post from another blog made to look like one of my own. I took another look and they meant they wanted me to write sponsored blog posts. :doh:

Still interested if there's ad middle ware out there but it's no big deal now...

Thanks everyone

vv makes sense. Adsense is easy.

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 21, 2022

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think there is because 99% of people just use Google ads

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

I have a bit of a weird one, and I’m not sure if this is the correct thread, but here goes.

I have a button on a React page that has a react-icons SVG as the content. It shows just fine in windows desktop, but on mobile the button is just black.

I haven’t figured out how to do an “inspect element” chrome mobile, but I can’t conceive of a reason why it would be different on mobile than on desktop.

The web page is here: here. Click the “Demos” link in the menu. The first item is for my “JimCo” series of web sites and there’s a button in the lower right corner for more information. On desktop, the button has a nice big “I” in the middle, using <FaInfo />. It just doesn’t show in mobile. Ideas?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
In Chrome's desktop devtools you can set the media size and then check a box in the bottom-right tabs to force mobile rendering. See if it appears then and inspect the active CSS rules

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

In Chrome's desktop devtools you can set the media size and then check a box in the bottom-right tabs to force mobile rendering. See if it appears then and inspect the active CSS rules

Yes, when in Chrome dev tools in mobile mode, the icon shows.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

LongSack posted:

I have a bit of a weird one, and I’m not sure if this is the correct thread, but here goes.

I have a button on a React page that has a react-icons SVG as the content. It shows just fine in windows desktop, but on mobile the button is just black.

I haven’t figured out how to do an “inspect element” chrome mobile, but I can’t conceive of a reason why it would be different on mobile than on desktop.

The web page is here: here. Click the “Demos” link in the menu. The first item is for my “JimCo” series of web sites and there’s a button in the lower right corner for more information. On desktop, the button has a nice big “I” in the middle, using <FaInfo />. It just doesn’t show in mobile. Ideas?

Long shot but are you using Samsung browser on Android with your device's theme preference set to dark? That browser will try to create a dark theme if the site does not have its own, including changing the colour of elements. It's the only one I know of that screws with web content like that without asking.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

fisting by many posted:

Long shot but are you using Samsung browser on Android with your device's theme preference set to dark? That browser will try to create a dark theme if the site does not have its own, including changing the colour of elements. It's the only one I know of that screws with web content like that without asking.

Holy cow. TIL.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

fisting by many posted:

No. Chrome on IPad and IPhone. The only android device I have access to is one of my televisions, and it's such an enormous pain to use as a browser I rarely check it. Also just checked Safari and Edge on IPhone which both do the same as Chrome.

Fake edit: It works correctly on my Sony television which is an Android device and on Mac Catalyst, so this seems to be an issue specific to iOS

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Do you have a mac? you should be able to get a web inspector fairly easily by plugging your phone into your computer in that case.

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006

LongSack posted:

No. Chrome on IPad and IPhone. The only android device I have access to is one of my televisions, and it's such an enormous pain to use as a browser I rarely check it. Also just checked Safari and Edge on IPhone which both do the same as Chrome.

Fake edit: It works correctly on my Sony television which is an Android device and on Mac Catalyst, so this seems to be an issue specific to iOS

Wrapping the svg inside a <span> fixes the issue on my iPhone. (You will need a little additional styling to center it.)

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

BabyJebus posted:

Wrapping the svg inside a <span> fixes the issue on my iPhone. (You will need a little additional styling to center it.)

That did it! Thanks!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm dipping my toes in Google Analytics 4 event tracking/registering/logging via JS. I'm not at all versed with GA or the "correct" way to track events that may or may not be "duplicates."

So I'm wondering if I have an event called "search," like https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/ga4/reference/events#search

do I want to prevent a default "page_view" sort of event if someone lands on /search/[TERM] and ONLY track an event called "search" or should I be tracking both?

ex:

Someone lands on /search/[TERM], my app currently logs two events called "page_view" AND "search." Will this pollute Google Analytics' data by registering two events for the same action that the user did?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

This sounds like it boils down to personal preference, but if I'm understanding you correctly it sounds like you would want those two events, because even if a 'search' event is triggered, it's also a page view, so both are technically correct.

Usually you'll use events to compare one metric against another, so having this action trigger two events doesn't sound like a problem to me. If you know the person who is going to be actually interacting with and using the analytic data, maybe ask them if they have a preference?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

If it's specifically search-related you probably want to configure Google Analytics's site search for your property (which is for tracking urls and behaviour with your own search, nothing to do with integrating Google's search)

And then yes, also send the pageview event, but after configuring site search, pageviews to your search endpoint will be included in the Site Search page

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Awesome thank you both!

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Can anyone explain to me why "oveflow-x: visible" doesn't make outlines show when it overflows? I have this sample code where my text fields are right against a border. overflow-y is set to "auto" and overflow-x is "visible," but it doesn't show the outlines on the right and left edges unless I make overflow-y "visible" as well.

https://jsfiddle.net/x81j97wr/

The issue can be seen when you focus either the first or last form field and the outline is cut off. So I'm wondering how exactly to show the left and right overflows without showing the top and bottom

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 5, 2022

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

As per the W3C specification, the overflow value 'visible' for either -x or -y is treated as 'auto' if the other one is not set to either 'visible' or 'clip'. See also the MDN overflow entry.

If you set your overflow-y value to 'clip', then the outlines should correctly show on the left and right hand side ('visible' is now actually 'visible'), while they should not show on the top or bottom if they were to overflow in those directions.

As for why this is the case, you'll need someone wiser than me.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Leshy posted:

As per the W3C specification, the overflow value 'visible' for either -x or -y is treated as 'auto' if the other one is not set to either 'visible' or 'clip'. See also the MDN overflow entry.

If you set your overflow-y value to 'clip', then the outlines should correctly show on the left and right hand side ('visible' is now actually 'visible'), while they should not show on the top or bottom if they were to overflow in those directions.

As for why this is the case, you'll need someone wiser than me.

wtf? so what if you want it to scroll on the Y but have visible X overflow?

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 6, 2022

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

How should the browser then deal with overflowing content on the x-axis colliding with the scrollbar it needs to display on the right hand side of the container for y-axis scrolling?

(Incidentally, I now realise that is why the 'visible' and 'clip' values only work with either value on the other property.)

Leshy fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 6, 2022

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have a grid or flex box question that I'm not sure is possible to solve. I have two columns side by side that will each have a dynamic amount of content in them. If both columns are full I'd like them to fall into a 60/40 split. However if one column needs more space and the other doesn't I'd like to let them grow beyond 60/40. For example if the second column has a lot of stuff in it and the first very little I'd like it to grow to 20/80. Or, in the opposite scenario I'd like it to grow to 80/20 (or 90/10 or whatever the content calls for).

Is this possible?

Edit: it looks like I can kinda get there by setting flex-grow values but the problem is the left column is text and it will start wrapping really early to make room for the other column. If it has enough text to fill 60% of the space I want it to do that before it starts wrapping

prom candy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 21, 2022

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

prom candy posted:

I have a grid or flex box question that I'm not sure is possible to solve. I have two columns side by side that will each have a dynamic amount of content in them. If both columns are full I'd like them to fall into a 60/40 split. However if one column needs more space and the other doesn't I'd like to let them grow beyond 60/40. For example if the second column has a lot of stuff in it and the first very little I'd like it to grow to 20/80. Or, in the opposite scenario I'd like it to grow to 80/20 (or 90/10 or whatever the content calls for).

Is this possible?

I'm not fully up to speed on all the latest crazy CSS stuff, buy my gut instinct says not without measuring the heights of the content. I hope I am wrong and I learn something new though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Double post with unrelated thing!

My dad takes lots and lots of photos (and they are quite good!) and wants what effectively is a gallery site. I am 100% not falling into the trap of making him something, so does anyone know of good portfolio-centric off the shelf things? I'd think about hosting something for him if I could just install it and let it run, but cheap and 80+ year old man simple things would be cool too, despite the fact that he'd balk at actually paying for something :v: