Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

SolarFire2 posted:

Fortunately now we know that being run through with a lightsaber is a non-fatal wound, so a lot of these characters are probably just fine.

There are many, many places in the human torso that you can just vaporize a cylindrical segment all the way through the body and it barely even does anything, all the stuff in your torso is tiny and far apart from each other and barely important anyway.

Why did Qui-Gon die? Is he a humanoid alien with a vulnerable torso? He clearly gets stabbed right through the chest and then dies. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JonathonSpectre posted:

Why did Qui-Gon die? Is he a humanoid alien with a vulnerable torso? He clearly gets stabbed right through the chest and then dies. What gives?

Common misconception, but he's actually just slightly off screen during the other films. Yoda confirms he spoke with him in RotS.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

JonathonSpectre posted:

There are many, many places in the human torso that you can just vaporize a cylindrical segment all the way through the body and it barely even does anything, all the stuff in your torso is tiny and far apart from each other and barely important anyway.

Qui-Gon's a master of cheating at dice and family separation so maybe his overall master status as a Jedi is up for debate.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 3, 2022

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

A true Jedi would just use the force to shift his vital organs out of the way

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
a true Jedi would not have attachment to his vital organs

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Between the Jedi and the Sith, the darksiders are the ones who are all about clinging to the physical world at all costs, while the Jedi are more willing to accept death and let their own essence join with the Force. So it makes sense that the Inquisitors are the ones to claw their way back after being stabbed, while Qui-Gon would let the Force decide whether he's supposed to live or die.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Have taken my Obi-wan writing to youtube, assuming a giant copyright meteor doesn't wipe it out overnight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRK-2X1R2OY

There's a link through to medium if you prefer to read.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's actually a Force ability in the old EU, based on the scene where Vader stops blaster bolts with his hand, to absorb energy into the body, to the point of being able to briefly survive being run through with a lightsaber and turn the energy into a Force push. I remember reading a book about a protagonist whose Jedi father was apparently particularly talented with it.

Robot Style posted:

Between the Jedi and the Sith, the darksiders are the ones who are all about clinging to the physical world at all costs, while the Jedi are more willing to accept death and let their own essence join with the Force. So it makes sense that the Inquisitors are the ones to claw their way back after being stabbed, while Qui-Gon would let the Force decide whether he's supposed to live or die.

Yeah, Palpatine is basically a lich, and Darth Vader is literally a walking iron lung, while Force Ghosts are a scary thought to their foes because, well, killing them doesn't stop them.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's actually a Force ability in the old EU, based on the scene where Vader stops blaster bolts with his hand, to absorb energy into the body, to the point of being able to briefly survive being run through with a lightsaber and turn the energy into a Force push. I remember reading a book about a protagonist whose Jedi father was apparently particularly talented with it.

It was Corran "5-page-inner-monologue-in-italics-also-I-hosed-an-otter" Horn

The author gave him that special ability but also made him incapable of telekinesis. Unless he used his special ability.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Revisiting Rise Of Skywalker, and it’s still really wild how the entire film is about this esoteric Exegolian Sith ritual involving “Hex Charms” and poo poo of that nature, where literally everything is just a mechanism to get Rey into her predetermined role as Empress.

People don’t talk about the characters’ motivations at all, really.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, Palpatine is basically a lich, and Darth Vader is literally a walking iron lung, while Force Ghosts are a scary thought to their foes because, well, killing them doesn't stop them.

While that’s not exactly wrong, NecroPalpatine is patently unreal, beyond even the standards of the vampire genre, and is best understood as a ghost as well. Like, vampires are typically “the upper classes”, while Palpatine’s spooky rear end haunts the universe as a spectral voice from another dimension. The whole bizarre ‘haunted life-support planet’ is quite distinct from Vader’s fairly mundane robot suit.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Captain Splendid posted:

The author gave him that special ability but also made him incapable of telekinesis. Unless he used his special ability.

What are you gonna do, stab me?
- Jedi who can only do useful poo poo in a fight when he's stabbed

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Also lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Splendid posted:

Ahhh, THAT'S where I vaguely recall that name from. I remember him being a bit of a dork, he runs into some rogue Jedi who use a lightsaber that's got a surprising length-change mode and tries to emulate it but it doesn't really work out. Had some fun themes of like, a new generation of Jedi picking up the pieces of scattered and destroyed tradition and coming up with new ideas.

Honestly it's a pretty cool take on it even if it's a bit superpower-y for Star Wars. Even Yoda does the absorb-and-return thing with Force Lightning.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'm tapping out after two episodes of Obi-Wan. What a dog.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
At least skip through the rest so you can watch in horror at how truly bad it gets.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm tapping out after two episodes of Obi-Wan. What a dog.

I was like "wait until Vader gets here, Vader will make this worthwhile" and he sucks! They made Vader suck! An absolute scandal imo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

At least skip through the rest so you can watch in horror at how truly bad it gets.

It's not even interesting-bad! It's just incredibly slow and everyone is miscast. Except Joel Edgerton. I'd watch a series on him working on a moisture farm, fixing broken equipment, looking exasperated, etc.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Six hour-long episodes of Owen yelling and throwing spanners at his lovely nephew

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's not even interesting-bad! It's just incredibly slow and everyone is miscast. Except Joel Edgerton. I'd watch a series on him working on a moisture farm, fixing broken equipment, looking exasperated, etc.

Just imagine Warrior is a Star Wars movie. Tom Hardy is a Sith, Nick Nolte is a fallen Jedi who doesn't want to accept that his son is a Sith, Edgerton is Luke Skywalker redeeming his brother through the power of love, also punching.

Kurt Angle is, I dunno, Darth Grievous.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They should have never left Tattooine and have it so Owen and Obi-Wan deal with a bunch of poo poo. That would have been loving awesome.

But hey, if you didn't like this show the social media fandom has decided you hate Star Wars and you don't even know whats good for you! You take your lightsabers and poor acting and you loving LIKE IT.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It really should have just been an episodic version of Kung Fu, but instead of Carradine wandering around the Old West and fixing people's problems, it's Obi-Wan wandering around Tattooine and fixing people's problems. Or maybe The Incredible Hulk, where Obi-Wan just wants to spend his days butchering sand sushi but keeps getting pulled into other people's drama and is forced to move on to the next town to keep his identity secret.

They should really take a page of out Star Trek's book and make one of these suckers properly episodic some time so it has a chance of being decent. The best of Mando felt that way. Maybe once they're done recycling and stretching out their scrapped spinoff prequel movie scripts.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The best that I can say about Obiwan Show is that it's bad in a very different way from, say, Boba Book. Nothing seems to be missing, or presented in the wrong order, or anything like that. There actually is a coherent message, of sorts. It's all up on the screen, and it just happens to suck.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Vintersorg posted:

But hey, if you didn't like this show the social media fandom has decided you hate Star Wars and you don't even know whats good for you! You take your lightsabers and poor acting and you loving LIKE IT.

I do think it's kinda fascinating how rabidly people will defend this show. A significant chunk of the fans seem to actually enjoy that it's hokey as gently caress, some think it's just straight good, some I'm not sure they actually watched it. I can't imagine people are going to be revisiting this one, though.

SolarFire2 posted:

Fortunately now we know that being run through with a lightsaber is a non-fatal wound, so a lot of these characters are probably just fine.

Possibly the most bizarre decision in the show, but I guess all bets are off after Maul surviving being cut in half. The current canon is that the only way to fully kill a dark side user with lightsabers is by holding 2 of them and doing some sort of force vaporization move.

feedmyleg posted:

It really should have just been an episodic version of Kung Fu, but instead of Carradine wandering around the Old West and fixing people's problems, it's Obi-Wan wandering around Tattooine and fixing people's problems.

This is kind of what The Mandalorian started as, right? Not just Tatooine I guess, but it was the closest thing to episodic live action Star Wars we've gotten in a while, or ever I guess.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Eh, the Inquisitor Prime is basically a robot man, who knows how he's wired up in there.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I think a sizable chunk of nerds figured the Jedi would be wandering ronin rather than a child abduction cult prior to the prequels. I know I did.

That could be a cool show, especially if you divorce it from everything else by setting it in 5700 ABY.

bij fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 5, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

bij posted:

I think a sizable chunk of nerds figured the Jedi would be wandering ronin rather than a child abduction cult prior to the prequels. I know I did.

That could be a cool show, especially if you divorce it from everything else by setting it in 5700 ABY.

Or 5700 BBY; there's no meaningful difference.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It’s funny that the Lucas films actually do feature visible technological progress from one film to the next, but in all the ancillary material, there's complete stasis for millennia in either direction

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think the High Republic stuff is the worst for this. Stuff like KOTOR at least came up with new designs for their Star Destroyers and TIE Fighters and Millennium Falcons, while the High Republic just dug through the trash of the sequel trilogy for its aesthetic.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
One of those is straight up prequel concept art

In KotOR one of the merchants comments on the technological stagnation and says how every year blasters get a tiny bit better but that's it.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

Or 5700 BBY; there's no meaningful difference.

It really doesn't matter but the far future of a long time ago in a galaxy far far away hasn't been built on much. They could even introduce concepts like travelling somewhere other than Tatooine or planet Not-Tatooine-But-Still-A-Desert.

Captain Splendid posted:

In KotOR one of the merchants comments on the technological stagnation and says how every year blasters get a tiny bit better but that's it.

25,000 years of progress!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
they should do a star wars set so far back that it's a literal sandal and sorcery epic with swords made of metal and no loving space ships

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Obi Wan is helped by watching the Auraulnauts Hunt Begins thing, then it just becomes funny because the show is really that. It even ends with Obi doing the reverse. Boba was just boring and disjointed when it wasn't a Mandalorian sequel episode.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Bring me some of those weird proto-lightsabers that needed to be plugged into a battery pack.

Hope you don’t accidentally slice your own power cord!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

When they were developing Episode 7, they actually did some concept art for different variations of lightsabers, including what a super primitive one might look like:

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Mameluke posted:

they should do a star wars set so far back that it's a literal sandal and sorcery epic with swords made of metal and no loving space ships

And resurrect Basil Poledouris to write the score!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Zoran posted:

It’s funny that the Lucas films actually do feature visible technological progress from one film to the next, but in all the ancillary material, there's complete stasis for millennia in either direction

Following up on this, I think my favorite example is that in ROTJ, there are full-color holograms.

This is forgotten in the sequel trilogy because of course it is.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Zoran posted:

Following up on this, I think my favorite example is that in ROTJ, there are full-color holograms.

This is forgotten in the sequel trilogy because of course it is.
Leia's message in A New Hope is in color with a blue tint like Luke's message in RoTJ. Palpatine's message in the original cut of Empire is also in full color. The redone scene makes things look a little bit more blue and closer to prequels. The thing with Leia's message is she's wearing white so it takes on the blue hue a bit more than Luke's black robes in RoTJ.

Also to be fair to the sequels have Snoke's really high fidelity holograms.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 6, 2022

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Holograms in Star Wars probably aren't actually supposed to be blue in-universe at all. Lucas wanted people watching Star Wars to feel like he did the first time he watched culturally unfamiliar Kurosawa films, and inserted a bunch of stuff to imply that Earthlings weren't the target audience for the movie. He wanted it to feel like a documentary from another galaxy, so in addition to not explaining any of the unnecessary technical or cultural details, he threw in stuff to ground the movie in reality, like the hosed up sound from ship-to-ship radio, or holograms gaining a weird blue tint because that's what happens when you record footage off a television screen with film that's not white balanced for it (which was also how they initially did the effect).

The prequels did the effect digitally, but still carried forward the same line of thinking. While they still maintain a slight amount of color just to avoid being monochrome, their holograms are a lot more desaturated than the ones in the OT because they took place in the spaceteen-40's and 50's, before the advent of color TV. So presumably the prequel holograms as seen by the characters are actually in black & white.

So rather than carrying this forward in the sequels (other than with Snoke in 7) and making holograms that looked like they were filmed off of modern LED screens, they just used the blue scanline holograms from the other moves because, like with everything else, they knew what Star Wars looked like, but not why it looked like that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Vintersorg posted:

You take your lightsabers and poor acting and you loving LIKE IT.

Poor lightsabers too

they looked like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Revisiting Rise Of Skywalker, and it’s still really wild how the entire film is about this esoteric Exegolian Sith ritual involving “Hex Charms” and poo poo of that nature, where literally everything is just a mechanism to get Rey into her predetermined role as Empress.

People don’t talk about the characters’ motivations at all, really.

While that’s not exactly wrong, NecroPalpatine is patently unreal, beyond even the standards of the vampire genre, and is best understood as a ghost as well. Like, vampires are typically “the upper classes”, while Palpatine’s spooky rear end haunts the universe as a spectral voice from another dimension. The whole bizarre ‘haunted life-support planet’ is quite distinct from Vader’s fairly mundane robot suit.
E9 takes the whole franchise in a very weird, Dune-inspired direction where galactic civilization revolves around a natural aristocracy, the messiah is manifested by mad science experiments, everyone important can live forever through cloning, and people are reincarnations of their own recent ancestors.

The main difference is that Star Wars is an all-ages franchise, so they don't address any of the weird sex poo poo this implies.