Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

A question on app badges - in notification settings, I’ve got absolutely everything set to off. All apps have all notification categories disabled including badges. On my home screen I’ve got various folders with apps, one of which is badged with a number. When I open the folder, none of the apps within it are badged.

How can I find out where this badge originates from and disable it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

prom candy posted:

So what do you all actually use your iPads for? I bought an iPad Air for sheet music and chord charts but obviously it's massive overkill for just that so I want to make sure I get the most I can out of it. I've been playing chess on it a bit and that's pretty fun, and I was using it for reading a bit but I already have a Kindle that I prefer. I tried using it for SA/Twitter but I love posting and typing on it is a bit tricky for me. What cool poo poo should I be doing with this thing to justify the cost to myself?

Read berserk.

or sandman, or swamp thing, or junji Ito, or, or

My partner and I started reading berserk on a recommendation last year and the iPad 12.9 is amazing for graphic novels/comics

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Has there been any substantial improvement in screen or speaker quality between the current gen and the first gen 10.5" pro? Mine is currently a full time email/youtube machine and the battery is crapping out but other than that I don't see any pressing need to upgrade looking at the spec sheets.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

prom candy posted:

So what do you all actually use your iPads for? I bought an iPad Air for sheet music and chord charts but obviously it's massive overkill for just that so I want to make sure I get the most I can out of it. I've been playing chess on it a bit and that's pretty fun, and I was using it for reading a bit but I already have a Kindle that I prefer. I tried using it for SA/Twitter but I love posting and typing on it is a bit tricky for me. What cool poo poo should I be doing with this thing to justify the cost to myself?

I use my M1 12.9 for art and the 6th gen Mini for basically everything else. I got it with a cellular radio so I could take it anywhere and not have to worry about a wifi connection.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I’ve been using an 11 pro for music and art, I have the keyboard and pencil so I use it instead of my laptop for a lot. I use the new mini for reading, gaming, shopping, daily notes, etc. Thinking about upgrading to the 12.9 pro for stage manager but we’ll see. I initially got into multiple ipads for teaching music. I’m a drummer and having a pro slab of glass inches from children with drumsticks made me think about having the mini. It’s truly incredible as a teaching and daily use tool with the pencil.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

A question on app badges - in notification settings, I’ve got absolutely everything set to off. All apps have all notification categories disabled including badges. On my home screen I’ve got various folders with apps, one of which is badged with a number. When I open the folder, none of the apps within it are badged.

How can I find out where this badge originates from and disable it?

If you tap and hold on the folder and there is actually an app with a badge on it (sounds like not in this case), it will show up on the contextual pop up.

If you can’t clear out the notification, there must be something stuck. A force reboot should fix it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

forest spirit posted:

Read berserk.

or sandman, or swamp thing, or junji Ito, or, or

My partner and I started reading berserk on a recommendation last year and the iPad 12.9 is amazing for graphic novels/comics
Not quite Berserk but I'm just about to re-read Nana. Is Chunky still the comic reader of choice?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Question Mark Mound posted:

Not quite Berserk but I'm just about to re-read Nana. Is Chunky still the comic reader of choice?

I like Panels. Chunky hasn't been update in a few years, while Panels is actively being worked on.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

101 posted:

I like Panels. Chunky hasn't been update in a few years, while Panels is actively being worked on.
Thanks, I'll maybe check it out! What features are behind the subscription for it?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Thanks, I'll maybe check it out! What features are behind the subscription for it?

I'm grandfathered in from when it was a one time purchase, and it was a while ago, but I think access to other cloud services was the reason I paid at the time.

But now you can access Dropbox from within Files which you get access to for free so not sure what the upsell is anymore.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Interesting seeing how everyone uses their ipad! I've been reaching it for more often as a gently caress-around device instead of my iPhone mini and while typing is more annoying on it it's a pretty great content consumption device. I usually watch YouTube and read SA in bed until my eyelids start getting heavy and the iPad is much nicer for that than my phone.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

:shrug:

yeah I use chunky pro version. I've had it for so long. I've had no issues with it but I can imagine wanting to have more customization for the "bookshelf" but insofar as usage I've never thought it was insufficient

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Loaded up Chunky non-pro for the first time in a while and it still can load the files and has the double page view, but it seems you have to pay for that in Panels, so Chunky it is!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

101 posted:

I'm grandfathered in from when it was a one time purchase, and it was a while ago, but I think access to other cloud services was the reason I paid at the time.

But now you can access Dropbox from within Files which you get access to for free so not sure what the upsell is anymore.

I use it for the panel zoom view, though I may reconsider after this month.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Really liking using my low-profile mechanical keyboard with the iPad, but I do feel like I’m missing out on a mouse/trackpad.

I’m wondering whether its worth just stumping up for an Apple Pencil. I’m not a visual artist (although my partner is and would probably appreciate the chance to noodle around on it, even though this isn’t her primary device), but I do like the idea of note taking, and just using the stylus for general navigation. It also seems nice and compact in terms of portability and isn’t gonna be another big clunky object rattling around in my bag. Is that foolish? Am I an idiot? If so, are there wireless mice/trackpads people would recommend that are fairly light/portable?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I am a big fan of the Apple Pencil for note taking, but it's not really useful for navigation, and it's definitely not a good mouse replacement for a KBM setup. I bought a $10 Microsoft mouse to work with my bluetooth keyboard and iPad. It was.. fine. I don't use it anymore because I don't find myself computing like that with my iPad mini. I imagine people might find PC-like usage more useful on bigger iPads, but even the 13 incher seems a bit small for me for that usecase.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, do not buy the pencil expecting it to be anything approaching a mouse alternative. if you miss a trackpad/mouse, buy a magic trackpad or a deec mouse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The biggest downside to using the pencil as a mouse is if you try to activate any text boxes. In your head you're going to get a cursor and have a keyboard popup on the screen. In reality it records a period from your pencil because it assumes (properly) that you are going to handwrite stuff into that box.

That said if you use any apps that have lots of sliders/knobs to adjust, the pencil is a really good mouse substitute.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

yeah, do not buy the pencil expecting it to be anything approaching a mouse alternative. if you miss a trackpad/mouse, buy a magic trackpad or a deec mouse.

Are there any good portable mice people would recommend? Bonus points if I can toggle between bluetooth on the iPad and low-latency dongle-style wireless on the PC.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

Are there any good portable mice people would recommend? Bonus points if I can toggle between bluetooth on the iPad and low-latency dongle-style wireless on the PC.

This describes like 50 of Logitech's mice. MX Anywhere 3 if you want to spend $80ish or the M585/M590 for closer to $30 are a couple of decent options.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

xzzy posted:

The biggest downside to using the pencil as a mouse is if you try to activate any text boxes. In your head you're going to get a cursor and have a keyboard popup on the screen. In reality it records a period from your pencil because it assumes (properly) that you are going to handwrite stuff into that box.

That said if you use any apps that have lots of sliders/knobs to adjust, the pencil is a really good mouse substitute.

And if this bothers you, you can turn it off in Settings -> Apple Pencil -> Scribble

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

xzzy posted:

Yeah turn that junk off. I use mine for navigation all the time and it’s great. I find it much better than mouse integration on ipados.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah but now I'm in this weird middle ground where half the time I want the keyboard and the other half I do want to scribble. The pencil text entry is really well done and the more I use it the more I love it.

I also really dig the phone sized keyboard in the lower left, it's great for one handed entries. Is there an option somewhere to have that default on? :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I use my pencil maybe once or twice a month, so it’s kind of a hard sell to someone when I tell them that AND they know it’s like a hundred-something bones.

But what I always try to stress is that the one or two times a month I do use it, it’s basically invaluable.

Any company but Apple I would have expected the pencil to just be a pack-in, as it should have been IMO. But you know how big fruit is.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm a typer so if I take notes I want them to be typed anyway. In that way I'd like the official keyboard cover to be more flexible. But what I do instead is just buy a magnetic smart cover with a flap for the pencil when I'm in a drawing mood, and the magic keyboard when I'm not. Cumbersome but the best I can do for my probably niche use case.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m very much the same, but find the base model keyboard folio to do the job very well combined with the mag latch for the pencil on the Pros.. I’ve been using them since my 2018 Pro with no real complaints. Though I did just realize that if you don’t clean the pencil mag area every so often, the dirt that gets caught under there will start to wear away at the iPad finish. But whatever, it’s a well-loved, well-used device so I can deal :haw:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I use my pencil to have customers sign contracts, so it doesn’t see a ton of use, but when it gets used its invaluable.

Also the palm rejection is never more likely to gently caress up than when you hand the iPad and pencil to a customer :cripes:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
After doing a bit of a trial run with a base level iPad 9th gen, I decided to upgrade to the iPad Pro 11" 128GB. I didn't think I would use the iPad much but it's been the opposite and it's by far my favorite content consumption device. After playing with the Pro for a few days, wow what a difference. The 120hz screen is very nice, it has decent sound without airpods and the M1 is just nuts in terms of speed. Game performance and general usability is outstanding. I was going to go for the 12.9" Pro but decided I liked the form factor and weight of the 11" Pro more than I cared about the Mini LED display. The missus is getting the other iPad and I just hope she doesn't like it as much as I did and want to upgrade!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

I also really dig the phone sized keyboard in the lower left, it's great for one handed entries. Is there an option somewhere to have that default on? :v:
Two finger pinch the full keyboard...unless they took that out for some iPads. Works on the iPad mini at least.

some kinda jackal posted:

I use my pencil maybe once or twice a month, so it’s kind of a hard sell to someone when I tell them that AND they know it’s like a hundred-something bones.

But what I always try to stress is that the one or two times a month I do use it, it’s basically invaluable.

Any company but Apple I would have expected the pencil to just be a pack-in, as it should have been IMO. But you know how big fruit is.
There's ~$20 knockoffs that appear to be functional copycats of the Logitech Crayon, i.e. same tracking as the Pencil but missing pressure sensitivity while keeping tilt iirc. Main drawback is needing to charge with a cable.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

japtor posted:

Two finger pinch the full keyboard...unless they took that out for some iPads. Works on the iPad mini at least.

There's ~$20 knockoffs that appear to be functional copycats of the Logitech Crayon, i.e. same tracking as the Pencil but missing pressure sensitivity while keeping tilt iirc. Main drawback is needing to charge with a cable.

I got the Zagg Pro and i really like it. Feels better in my hand than the Apple Pencil but ymmv of course

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

japtor posted:

Okay that owns. Another goon's life saved by the forums because Apple can't figure out how to put discoverability into their OS.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

japtor posted:

My take on this is that while affordable options are definitely available, for me the whole "clip on to the top, forget it exists until you use it" makes the official Pencil price one of those things that I grumble about but immediately forget.

If I had to keep the pencil charged with a cable like the old style or aftermarket pencils, AND find a way to keep it near/with the iPad using an aftermarket stylus-carrying case, I'm pretty I'd just do without.

To rephrase slightly, if I don't get the on-device charging integration factor of the official Pencil I am 100% sure that the crayon or whatever stylus I get is just going to go in a drawer or get lost in my laptop bag. Not charging on the device also introduces the problem that I have to choose from availability or constantly being charged. If I keep the pencil on a charger constantly, it's almost certainly not where I am, and not underhand when I need it. If I keep it underhand when I need it, it is almost certain to be out of battery because I use it maybe once a month. Both scenarios lead me to just not use the stylus.

I'm definitely not going to argue that an affordable aftermarket stylus doesn't have value to folks who are more organized than me, who have different usage patterns than I do, I just always try to steer people clear of "eh the official one is $130 but I can get one for $20 that does most of the input stuff" because in *my* personal experience of daily driving, those just collect dust in a drawer.

I think people like artists who have a dedicated art space, or those who maybe use iPad for mobile work in a more organized way (always have laptop bag with them, always have stylus on a battery bank in the laptop bag, etc) may do well with stuff like this.

But again, not trying to downplay your point on availability, just to add a little colour from my experience.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

doesn't it get thirty minutes of charge from being in the lightning port for 30 seconds? But I guess that can be a big enough hump to not get over

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I want an iPad mostly to use the pencil but I’m sure I’d let the battery die and kill the thing pretty fast

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Snowy posted:

I want an iPad mostly to use the pencil but I’m sure I’d let the battery die and kill the thing pretty fast

So you get Pencil 2 that charges wirelessly and attaches magnetically to the side of the iPad. Problem solved!

The cheaper ones are all tradeoffs.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I like everything about the ipad pro folio case, like the way you can use it as a stand, how thin it is, and especially the way it snaps on magnetically, making it really easy to take the device out when you want to use it outside of the case for whatever reason. But it still leaves those same drat 3 streaks down the screen, which is kind of astonishing considering it was a problem with the original folio case back when I had my iPad 2. Anyone got any good recommendations for similar cases that don't smudge up the screen so badly? The convenience of it being magnetic rather than snap-in is probably the most important factor for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If I want to family share apps with my brother, credit card information will be shared, but we can still make purchases independently with our own cards, right?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rinkles posted:

If I want to family share apps with my brother, credit card information will be shared, but we can still make purchases independently with our own cards, right?

I think you can only have one card on file (the primary account holders). They can add iTunes credit on their account and it’ll use that first before charging the family primary account. It’s how I have my family (mainly my brother) set up. He just tops off his account whenever there’s an iTunes card sale and I never actually get charged for anything he buys.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think you can only have one card on file (the primary account holders). They can add iTunes credit on their account and it’ll use that first before charging the family primary account. It’s how I have my family (mainly my brother) set up. He just tops off his account whenever there’s an iTunes card sale and I never actually get charged for anything he buys.

Ah, that sucks, I don’t think my brother would like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Snowy posted:

Just cough up the dough for the pencil 2.

Mine has literally never been low on charge because when you’re not using it, it gets stored on the iPad to charge, so it’s always ready.

Having dealt with the pencil 1 and it always being dead, plus always losing the little charge adapter, yeah, just go for the pencil 2

Is it overpriced? Yes. Is it also the best solution by a mile? Yes.