Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dead Souls is the only actively bad Yakuza game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

The thing with the Dragon engine UFO catcher is they made it very accurate to the real Sega UFO catcher machines, so if you're familiar with them it works fine. (I am painfully familiar with them as my wallet can attest)

Grabbing is futile because the claw has very weak grip strength once closed fully. The claws are a little stronger as they are closing though, so if you offset the claw to the side you can push stuff laterally towards the hole. To move stuff towards the front you have to tip it over by grabbing slightly towards the rear of the prize. It may take you a few tries but the strategy is solid.

the mechanics of claw machine suckass, but I can deal with it. What I hate about Y2's is I have no goddamn idea where I am in space and most machines don't even let you get a good side angle. Even a little cartoon circle shadow under the claw would help. As is, the lighting and stuff just really leads to a lot of drops where I'm trying to nudge or something and instead I either grab nothing in the middle of nowhere, or awkwardly grab the doll in a way I don't want that makes it even harder to catch. The physics are also not as generous as 1/0 where I felt I often was just knocking stuff right in just jamming claw near.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Also I like the story of Kiwami 2 so far. Sad watching tojo and dojima families falling apart and I cannot wait to loving smash this blonde rear end in a top hat into the loving pavement. No idea why he wants a rematch either, I already kicked his rear end and I coulda done it right then again too. Wish Kiryu was a little more like daigo, goddamn felt good when he plugged Shindo. No wonder tojo falling apart if they just constantly let their enemies run all around without consequence.

Also did we meet him before this game, was I supposed to know he was creepy for the current matriarch, or was that just some classic "the bad guy you're about to beat up is a creepy sleaze" yakuza whip cream?

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Dead Souls is good actually cus it snuck in a weirdly emotional moment that hits as you ram a stripper pole through a giant zombie monster octopus

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 5, 2022

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

RevolverDivider posted:

3's combat is awful and 4's narrative is the worst narrative in the series. Skip both.

Disagree all games in the series are good

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Khanstant posted:

Also did we meet him before this game, was I supposed to know he was creepy for the current matriarch, or was that just some classic "the bad guy you're about to beat up is a creepy sleaze" yakuza whip cream?

Sort of, depending on what you mean by 'before' - he has a brief appearance in Y0. But otherwise, no.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

History Comes Inside! posted:

Dead Souls is the only actively bad Yakuza game

Haven't played it or the samurai games but i hope they release all 3 so i can decide for myself

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

Sort of, depending on what you mean by 'before' - he has a brief appearance in Y0. But otherwise, no.

word, hard to keep track of everyone. honestly a family map of the yakuza might be helpful including their adopted kids and successors.

know who I do remember? Nishikiyama. felt good as hell putting the beatdown on these punks still trying to pick a fight with me after all I did for that turd baby.

errant thought: Weird we can just go lurk in the abandoned Serena. Not complaining, I get sad when I see the pocket circuit is gone, and geez, been playing Y2 for dozens of hours now and I still am not used to millenium tower being all up in the way of everything, not to mention RIP Purgatory. also lol that tower such a massive hunk of real estate but the only things you really go in for are ringer hut and lockers, otherwise it's just in the way. Glad I stopped 7 to go back and finish these in order, very curious what Kamurocho Hills will be like, no way it's as cool as hobo park was.

Another question: When to play Majima saga in y2? I'm on chapter 9 or 10, nearing the end I think, and I'm gonna go ahead and wrap up construction quests and do the club cabaret stuff next before finishing story. Wait to beat game before starting Majima saga or are they concurrent tales and I'd get more perspective on the story if I go through them now?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The entirety of Majima saga takes place before the events of the main story, so just do it as soon as all three chapters are unlocked.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Haven't played it or the samurai games but i hope they release all 3 so i can decide for myself

Kenzan’s worse than 3 and Ishin is supposed to be 0-tier good so I hope they get off their asses already and localize them.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So got back to playing Y4 after I had some other stuff to do. Do they ever explain how Akiyama turned 1 million yen into whatever he has since he is just loaning 100million yen to anybody.

Also the side quest in Yakuza are so good, I always say I won't do all of them but then I just get the quest started and can't stop to see how whacky it gets(like being a baby fetish in Y2).

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Ulio posted:

So got back to playing Y4 after I had some other stuff to do. Do they ever explain how Akiyama turned 1 million yen into whatever he has since he is just loaning 100million yen to anybody.

:stonks:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Kenzan’s worse than 3 and Ishin is supposed to be 0-tier good so I hope they get off their asses already and localize them.

Yeah, 3 is clunky and everyone hates the combat but it's a major improvement on Kenzan if you can imagine that. Ishin is solid 5/0 mechanics so it's fine on the gameplay side.

The one problem with the spin-off games is they assume prior knowledge of the historical background, so they're really hard to get into if you aren't familiar with the main figures and political movements of the Sengoku period and Bakumatsu respectively.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
if you don't play 3 you miss out on one of the funniest villains in the series

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ulio posted:

IIRC he made the money through some generic reference to "investments/trading"

This comes up occasionally when Akiyama is discussed, but his whole "making people do things like work as hostesses to show how much they want it" thing is incredibly rich coming from some guy who is apparently just a day trader with god's own luck.

Akiyama is still a fun character, but I can't help but roll my eyes at many of the quests where he decides whether to loan people money and lectures them about the importance of hard work.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

Yeah, 3 is clunky and everyone hates the combat but it's a major improvement on Kenzan if you can imagine that. Ishin is solid 5/0 mechanics so it's fine on the gameplay side.

Kenzan having worse combat than 3 just sent a shudder through my soul, I was under the impression that 3’s nonstop guarding hell made it the nadir of the franchise in that regard.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

IIRC he made the money through some generic reference to "investments/trading"

This comes up occasionally when Akiyama is discussed, but his whole "making people do things like work as hostesses to show how much they want it" thing is incredibly rich coming from some guy who is apparently just a day trader with god's own luck.

Akiyama is still a fun character, but I can't help but roll my eyes at many of the quests where he decides whether to loan people money and lectures them about the importance of hard work.

I don't think he wants them to prove how much they "want it", it's more like Akiyama is willing to give money to anyone down on their luck, but he also wants them to understand that money is completely transitory and no matter how much money he gives them, they'll be back in the same place they were before soon enough if they're not willing to make the changes they need to.

That was what happened to him, he got high off his own fumes as an investment banker and then when he fell on hard times, the great Finance in the Sky *wink wink* gave him a loan and instead of going on a big homeless bender he was determined to make a new life out of it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, Akiyama's backstory is that he worked for a high-powered bank or something, isn't it? Presumably he turns one million yen into a hundred billion yen or whatever it is by being the Kiryu of investing and just being very good at it offscreen

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
he literally keeps his money in a closet in a high crime district of Tokyo because he hates banks

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

he literally keeps his money in a closet in a high crime district of Tokyo because he hates banks

he's so good at investing that he doesn't need them

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
They should remake Dead Souls with good gameplay

And while I'm already asking RGG studio for thing that won't happen, they should make Binary Domain 2

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My argument for playing 3

https://youtu.be/azFN16A81N8

It really should have been part of the Kiwamification though

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i didn't know yakuza 3 had a dub

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Akiyama is kind of a real piece of poo poo. My least favorite of all the playable characters.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Akiyama mostly reflects the same weird and sometimes tonally dissonant morality most of the good guys in Yakuza, like remember that scene in YLAD where Ichiban defends the sleazy brothel owner from the others because he's secretly a pretty good guy or whatever? There's a lot of stuff like that peppered throughout, its just more obvious with Akiyama because he's the only one making people do bizarre tests for money.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 7, 2022

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, Akiyama's backstory is that he worked for a high-powered bank or something, isn't it? Presumably he turns one million yen into a hundred billion yen or whatever it is by being the Kiryu of investing and just being very good at it offscreen

Ya ok I just got that info after I posted that. But it makes sense if he was a ex Goldman Sachs trader and then he found 1million yen in the street, he could presumably 10x it. Also had some good boss fights with Akiyama's story. That Shibata goon that kidnaps Kido and you punch out of the room. He comes back with a freaking chainsaw within 1 minute, like where did he get that why is there a chainsaw in a underground tunnel? Reminded of the Sengoku Tiger room in Y2, gotta love how this series ain't afraid to go over the top.

I just started the Saejima part and already liking him. I was wondering what happened to Majima's backstory after in Y0 you get the scene with Saejima going solo. Also from now on whenever I see a important women character I am going to assume she is related to someone.

e: Why did no one tell Saejima about the ueno during his whole time in prison until he met Hamazaki. I knew Hamazaki is upto no good when I saw him, no redemption arc for this clown.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 7, 2022

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I think Saejima was in some kind of super maximum security solitary situation until he was transferred to secret island prison? At least that's what I gathered from his sister trying and failing to see him everyday.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If you ever think "this seems weird" about the depictions of Japanese prisons in Yakuza it's worth bearing in mind that their penal system was passed in the Meiji-era and essentially codified a version of solitary confinement where prisoners are kept in rooms too small for a bed, have their activities heavily regimented, and aren't allowed to talk to each other outside of designated hours. He wouldn't even be allowed to hug his sister if she was let in to see him. The first reform of this system took place in 2006.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Ulio posted:

I knew Hamazaki is upto no good when I saw him, no redemption arc for this clown.

I got bad news

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder what ever happened to Majima’s weird underling guy in 4. Maybe Majima got rid of him because there’s only allowed to be one Majima type

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Minami! He shows up in the gatcha game but I guess they didn't know what to do with him in the other games, or they just kinda forgot.

I miss Nishida, I hope after y7 he is somehow still doing the exact same job

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
We got really close with Y:LAD, but I want to see a longer example of the romance movies Il-Yu Jin stars in. Just him and a woman whispering "Sarang-he" at each other on a mountain garden for 5 whole minutes.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Khanstant posted:

Way late to this one, but you're talking about Shindo, not Ryuji? He was Nishikiyama Family Captain in 1; Kiryu fought him at the end of chapter 7 after reuniting with his ex-kyoudai. Yayoi Dojima appears briefly in a late-game substory, and the two never meet. It does make sense that Shindo would hate Kiryu for killing* his boss, giving the Chairman seat to an Omi lieutenant, and playing kingmaker to Dojima's failson.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's the thing, what he did with the 1M yen in such a short time is literally impossible unless he's some sort of prodigy blessed with the ability to earn 10000%+ return in the space of just a couple years or whatever (forget the exact time frame involved). It's dumb for some guy who can basically make obscene amounts of money with relatively little work to condescend to random normal people about whether they deserve his money (which may as well have been won from the lottery given the sheer quantity he can apparently amass over such a short time).

(Also the one thing where he makes the lady work as a hostess is particularly scummy, though I think you just have to overlook the rosy way that industry is portrayed in these games.)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 8, 2022

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

That's the thing, what he did with the 1M yen in such a short time is literally impossible unless he's some sort of prodigy blessed with the ability to earn 10000%+ return in the space of just a couple years or whatever (forget the exact time frame involved). It's dumb for some guy who can basically make obscene amounts of money with relatively little work to condescend to random normal people about whether they deserve his money (which may as well have been won from the lottery given the sheer quantity he can apparently amass over such a short time).

(Also the one thing where he makes the lady work as a hostess is particularly scummy, though I think you just have to overlook the rosy way that industry is portrayed in these games.)

Oh yeah I mean I was being a little tongue in cheek--Yakuza protagonists don't obey any of the same laws of reality as we do, so I assume that Akiyama must have the same magical powers that allow Kiryu to do all the things he does without killing anyone.

Either that, or he just used the million yen as seed money and spent a few years grinding mr shakedown

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

Way late to this one, but you're talking about Shindo, not Ryuji? He was Nishikiyama Family Captain in 1; Kiryu fought him at the end of chapter 7 after reuniting with his ex-kyoudai. Yayoi Dojima appears briefly in a late-game substory, and the two never meet. It does make sense that Shindo would hate Kiryu for killing* his boss, giving the Chairman seat to an Omi lieutenant, and playing kingmaker to Dojima's failson.

Yeah Shindo was who I meant. Wish the games had a yakuzadex for keeping track of all the people I meet. Thanks for the breakdown, knew there had to be something I forgot.

Oh also I noticed I had Pocket Circuit Fighter as a Majima construction option, but AFAIK I have not met Fighter at all in Y2 and the pockets circuit straight up looks gone to me. Is he just a fun easter egg guy from now on? I know one game is just Kiryu starting an orphanage or something and I better be able to take some kids to a pocket racer.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Oh also I noticed I had Pocket Circuit Fighter as a Majima construction option, but AFAIK I have not met Fighter at all in Y2 and the pockets circuit straight up looks gone to me. Is he just a fun easter egg guy from now on? I know one game is just Kiryu starting an orphanage or something and I better be able to take some kids to a pocket racer.

He'll be back in Y7 :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

grate deceiver posted:

wait but he's also in 6

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh yeah I mean I was being a little tongue in cheek--Yakuza protagonists don't obey any of the same laws of reality as we do, so I assume that Akiyama must have the same magical powers that allow Kiryu to do all the things he does without killing anyone.

Either that, or he just used the million yen as seed money and spent a few years grinding mr shakedown

Akiyama found a Ichiban Holdings style mini game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

haha im so torn if i should replay 7 or maybe just watch a refresher when i get back to it bc i dont wanna regrind everything i did. i played 1, started 0, then went to 7, before deciding to go back to 0 and do it sequentially. also i bought kiwami 2 first for some reason, played the intro and the intro was all recaps of the previous game so I closed it and bought Kiwami 1.

My Yakuza journey was a mess bc i didn't know I'd love it so much