Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
since Liman seems uninterested just get Kasinski to do Edge of Tomorrow 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I just saw this today, and I agree with most of the comments. First 3/4 of the movie were solid, but the final act got a little too far past the suspension of disbelief for my taste, especially compared to the original: Stealing the F-14 (although I did like the startup sequence for the plane) and getting into a dogfight with it. Also the Hind flat out trying to kill him instead of capture him alive. Those scenes added in with everything else, was just a little too much.

What annoys me is they could have tweaked it a little bit to keep the realism more grounded and still just as good: Have Goose Jr stay behind (with permission) to shoot down the Hind and provide cover for the search and rescue to come in and recover Maverick. Have him get into a dogfight with the 5th gen fighters (why couldn't they have given them a made-up name like in the first film?) but hold his own with a clear disadvantage. Have Iceman 2.0 show up in an F-35 (with a wingman) and have the two of them together take down one of the fighters and the other one bug out.). Just something I thought in the car ride back, so no means perfect either, but it took me all of 15 minutes to think of.

Best use of the F-Bomb in a movie I've seen in a long time though. 10/10

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Kosinski talks about this in interviews, but Cruise and Rooster working together behind enemy lines was one of the key aspects that got Cruise to agree to the initial Top Gun sequel pitch. The movie is about Maverick of course as that’s the title and only character we cared about. So I think any finale was always going to feature Maverick and Rooster flying together in some way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
who's gonna play young Viper in the prequel

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Beach football scene not gay enough. 0/10

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The movie wasn't unrealistic enough. Tom should've gotten in the Hind-D and shot down two jets with it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
A Hind-D?!?

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Hakkesshu posted:

The movie wasn't unrealistic enough. Tom should've gotten in the Hind-D and shot down two jets with it.

When he was talking to Rooster about gaining altitude and ejecting, my brain farted into the Battlefield maneuver and there was a brief moment of panic that they might actually do it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Payndz posted:

A Hind-D?!?

man i am broke brained because that is what popped in my head at that scene

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PeterCat posted:

It's because it's Tom Cruise's personal P-51 and there aren't that many corsairs left in the world.

Besides the P-51 is a better fighter plane anyway.

The P-51 is probably the coolest fighter from WW2. I downloaded DCS and learned how much of a bitch it is to fly compared to a modern plane and now I'm in awe at how good actual fighter pilots were to do what they did.

Obviously, the first day I learned it in DCS I had to do a goon multiplayer race in it. I did pretty well until I tried to record my screen and spun out near the end.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

Top Gun Maverick is one of the greatest action films ever made. Absolute mastercraft. Right up there with Mad Max Fury Road. Kosinski rules. Lol that Disney didn't get him to make the Rogue Squadron movie. Idiots.

He pitched them a really cool TRON 3 that they turned down and told him his services were no longer needed

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The Aircraft carrier cold open with Danger Zone playing is the equivalent of the opening crawl in a Star Wars movie

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Watched the music video for "Take my breath away."

I know it was the mid-80s, but I was not expecting it to be so heavily influenced by Beyond Thunderdome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx51eegLTY8

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it was nice of tom cruise to give a special message thanking me personally for coming to the movie theater to watch this

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Real talk I’d enjoy seeing it more often. Nice personal touch.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

it was nice of tom cruise to give a special message thanking me personally for coming to the movie theater to watch this

It was the moment I realized Cruise had saved cinema

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

he only thanked me the first time i saw it not the second.....

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Real talk I’d enjoy seeing it more often. Nice personal touch.

There's something similar before Lightyear. Lacks Cruise's earnestness. Obviously.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Cruise really felt like he was channeling Robert Redford during his thank you message.

Or at least looked a lot like him, but it was unexpected and a nice touch.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I showed up late deliberately to skip all the trailers and now I feel bad that I missed that bit. But I think I'm going to see it again this weekend because the last 45min are just absolutely fantastic.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I love this movie and would rather watch it again and again over The Batman

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

This movie feels like Marvel made Top Gun 2 and it's a pale imitation of the original.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If Marvel movies were anything like Top Gun 2 I would loving love Marvel movies.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I should probably clarify this somewhat. Marvel movies are by no means bad. They aren't the height of cinema - but if you are a bit buzzed they can all be at least a somewhat okay watch. Top Gun 2 is by no means a bad movie, but it feels like they tried to capture all of the essence of the original, but then making such weird decisions. Why are there just random comedy bits inserted, almost to the point of being slapstick. The big showdown, and they pull quips - in what was supposed to be clearly an emotional and dangerous situation.

Also, the volleyball scene was an absolute sham, and it wasn't even volleyball.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

I should probably clarify this somewhat. Marvel movies are by no means bad. They aren't the height of cinema - but if you are a bit buzzed they can all be at least a somewhat okay watch. Top Gun 2 is by no means a bad movie, but it feels like they tried to capture all of the essence of the original, but then making such weird decisions. Why are there just random comedy bits inserted, almost to the point of being slapstick. The big showdown, and they pull quips - in what was supposed to be clearly an emotional and dangerous situation.

Also, the volleyball scene was an absolute sham, and it wasn't even volleyball.

Marvel movies are bad

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Marvel movies are bad

Yeah alright, they are all trash. But they are made to be very mediocre trash.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You know Marvel movies did not start a mysterious new trend of people exchanging quips in tense situations. You can point to modern banter as sometimes being more self-aware or undermining the reality or whatever (the distinction is frankly lost on me these days), but like, older films have scenes like that, where the mood is tense but somebody makes a joke, and sometimes it's deliberately kinda gallows humor or the stuff military folks say to keep their mind off them being about to die.

The problem is not humor in tense situations. The problem is when the specific humor doesn't work and this is a question of writing and direction and delivery.

And honestly I can't remember a line in this (at least during the climax) that felt super obvious or jarringly out of place. What are you referring to in specific?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The things that are good about this film -- incredible on-location cinematography and real stunts/practical effects -- are like the diametric opposite of the Marvel films

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The action direction in this film is insanely better than anything Marvel has ever put out by a metric that transcends time and space.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

I went to see this thing in what is apparently called a "4D Theater" and had no idea what I was getting myself into. Holy poo poo. My popcorn is flying around everywhere within the first 30 seconds, people with their kids were giving me bad looks when I said "what the gently caress" when the chair sprays loving water in your face during the sailing scene. Absolutely fantastic. If you haven't seen this in a movie theater where the chair you sit on acts like a mechanical bull ride and shoots dirty water at you then I highly recommend it

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Taco Duck posted:

I went to see this thing in what is apparently called a "4D Theater" and had no idea what I was getting myself into. Holy poo poo. My popcorn is flying around everywhere within the first 30 seconds, people with their kids were giving me bad looks when I said "what the gently caress" when the chair sprays loving water in your face during the sailing scene. Absolutely fantastic. If you haven't seen this in a movie theater where the chair you sit on acts like a mechanical bull ride and shoots dirty water at you then I highly recommend it

You get to say gently caress once during the movie and you wasted it on that??

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

ilmucche posted:

You get to say gently caress once during the movie and you wasted it on that??

Well I thought somebody spit on me

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnhZUZVw_Bg

Neat little behind the scenes of the first movie. It might be pushing Tom Cruise's character, but he looked like the only one who really really enjoyed flying in the F-14. Isn't surprising considering he became a pilot later on.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just saw this for the second time and I don't think this movie will be even half as enjoyable watching it at home where I don't have speakers capable of rattling my insides. I think I'm gonna have to go for a third round before it disappears. Honestly can't remember the last time I had this much fun watching a movie.

Edit: there's also an air show going on nearby and fighter jets are flying over my house literally this second, makes me wanna go back and watch it again right now

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Just saw this for the second time and I don't think this movie will be even half as enjoyable watching it at home where I don't have speakers capable of rattling my insides.

It'll hold up I'm sure. Great action design and engaging drama isn't reliant on how expensive your sound system is. It's why I've watched Fury Road at home on my humble setup like 10+ times (even without turning on my 3.1 sound system and just watching it through the TV speakers). It's just so well made. I imagine Top Gun 2 will be the same.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

teagone posted:

It'll hold up I'm sure. Great action design and engaging drama isn't reliant on how expensive your sound system is. It's why I've watched Fury Road at home on my humble setup like 10+ times (even without turning on my 3.1 sound system and just watching it through the TV speakers). It's just so well made. I imagine Top Gun 2 will be the same.

I hope so. The last hour has me so immersed I was grabbing the arm rests because of how tense I felt, even knowing what was gonna happen heh.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Sirotan posted:

Edit: there's also an air show going on nearby and fighter jets are flying over my house literally this second, makes me wanna go back and watch it again right now

Willow Run?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TraderStav posted:

Willow Run?

Yep. Ngl after the movie I came home and contemplated the $285 all-day "Officers Club" ticket for the Sunday shows. I'm close enough that I can hear everything but can generally only see the Blue Angels during some parts of their routine when they fly past my house.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Sirotan posted:

Yep. Ngl after the movie I came home and contemplated the $285 all-day "Officers Club" ticket for the Sunday shows. I'm close enough that I can hear everything but can generally only see the Blue Angels during some parts of their routine when they fly past my house.

I'm in north campus area in AA and could hear them. Couldn't make it today but I really wanted to after seeing the movie a few weeks back.

Blue angels been sold out for weeks I think :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TraderStav posted:

I'm in north campus area in AA and could hear them. Couldn't make it today but I really wanted to after seeing the movie a few weeks back.

Blue angels been sold out for weeks I think :(

There are still tickets available! $225 gets you and everyone that fits in your car inside! If I knew anybody else who wanted to go last minute I think I'd do it tomorrow afternoon. https://yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/tickets/#afternoonShow