Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
drat, I forgot all my leet Carrion tech. And even when I knew it I was stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe you answered this already but do you think there's a decent chance of a mid gen release like the One X?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I mean it’s all but guaranteed.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

American McGay posted:

I mean it’s all but guaranteed.

I doubt it. There will be a slim revision but I don't see mid-gen upgrades happening again this generation.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What?? Why wouldn’t they?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Wiltsghost posted:

Maybe you answered this already but do you think there's a decent chance of a mid gen release like the One X?

There will be more consoles without a doubt. Improvements in manufacturing will mean smaller, cheaper, and cooler components so they can trim things down and use less raw materials. As far as an One X style upgrade, I don't really know. The One X was really born out of the One being under-powered and 4k seeing adoption pretty quickly, and to a lesser extent the PS4 Pro which was due to 4k and PSVR. Component prices will continue to drop and core gamers will be willing to spend a bit more for the latest tech, but really it's more about if developers are willing to put up with another endpoint. I don't think 8k is going to drive adoption, so we'll see what pops up.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Games look good enough, they could stand to look worse actually

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I’m definitely sick of the AAA 6 year dev cycle $400M budget style games. Give me sick little 5 hour experiences.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Super interesting read, many thanks for your insights Lifespan!

Lifespan posted:

...for whenever there is a cost reduction Series X... S down the line. God the names are going to get even weirder.

On this, you wouldn't happen to know why Xbox -and yeah Nintendo, and Sega as well when they were around- go for such weird name schemes for the subsequent console releases. PlayStation 1,2,3,4,5 naming system just seems to just be so much easier! Like I get adding in an extra letter or slim or what ever to the end, when it's a different model of the same generation that's easy enough to follow, but why not just numbering the basis model of each generation! I'm assuming it's a weird marketing thing?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

dr_rat posted:

On this, you wouldn't happen to know why Xbox -and yeah Nintendo, and Sega as well when they were around- go for such weird name schemes for the subsequent console releases. PlayStation 1,2,3,4,5 naming system just seems to just be so much easier! Like I get adding in an extra letter or slim or what ever to the end, when it's a different model of the same generation that's easy enough to follow, but why not just numbering the basis model of each generation! I'm assuming it's a weird marketing thing?

I answered this a bit earlier. The 360 name made sense because they were trying to compete with the follow up to the best selling console of all time in the PS2 and as shallow as it is, Xbox 2 vs PS3 is a bit of a marketing nightmare. For the One and Series names, I have no defense. They were disliked as much internally as everywhere else and I never heard a good answer as to why they went that way.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I liked Sega’s console names. They were cool. Even Dreamcast.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

That’s why pixel art games exist.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Kevyn posted:

I liked Sega’s console names. They were cool. Even Dreamcast.

Genesis > Megadrive

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

dancing games are like the one specific best possible use case for a Kinect

There were some really neat Kinect games - Thru and Gunstringer come to mind - but it had the same problem that the Wii did. Most people just weren't interested in making games for it, they either adapted other games or ignored it.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
+1 on Sega naming. Master System, Genesis, Nomad, Saturn, Dreamcast? All winners. Game Gear was kinda lame but acceptable in the 90s (and definitely the "cool" version of the name Game Boy).

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Nothing is worse than the Wii U. Something named so poorly people didn't even know what it was. My friend's teenage son thought it was just the handheld controller.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Another one for Lifespan, do they ever circulate controller concepts for internal feedback? And if so any that you thought drat that would have been pretty cool that didn’t make it for some reason or another?

Or even something like were there ever plans for xbox branded mouse and keyboard lap friendly setup

The accessibility controllers are extremely neat too btw and the company deserves kudos for them.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Does anyone remember the name of that game mentioned here last week that was an old xbox one game that is now free? It looked cyberpunk-ish. I looked back pages and pages but couldn't find it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Phantom Dust iirc

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Seltzer posted:

I was just made aware of this og xbox exclusive I'd never heard of before. They made a xb1 remake that's free to dl on xbox and windows. "Phantom Dust"

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/phantom-dust/9pcdnbhr11mr

Gonna check it out

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Thank you!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

priznat posted:

Another one for Lifespan, do they ever circulate controller concepts for internal feedback? And if so any that you thought drat that would have been pretty cool that didn’t make it for some reason or another?

Or even something like were there ever plans for xbox branded mouse and keyboard lap friendly setup

The accessibility controllers are extremely neat too btw and the company deserves kudos for them.

They do a lot of focus testing on controller concepts, but correctly they don't depend too heavily on internal feedback because despite best efforts, there really is a limited amount of physical diversity among the team. They want to appeal to everyone and I know I would give a very personal feedback that might not be mainstream. So no, I don't really have any stories of prototypes they dropped that would have been great.

As far as mouse and keyboard, we worked closely with Razer on the Turret. It really was a great setup, but very expensive and console keyboard and mouse never really picked up adoption.

I worked on a variety of Xbox accessibility programs and they were always awesome. The small group that made the Xbox Accessibility Controller are super passionate and spent many years doing it in their off time, so I was really happy to see that reach the market. It's an awesome product and I'm actually surprised we have not seen more competitive gamers adopt it for full body control.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Here's a side story. There was a common term internally called a "98052 problem." That is the zip code of central Redmond, WA where Microsoft HQ is. When someone would bring up an issue like "when I connect my third One X to the network and connect a third Elite controller to the console, X happens", the response was "that is a 98052 problem" in that between prototype hardware and corporate discounts, Xbox employees have homes filled with far more hardware than any reasonable fan would have and we needed to not focus on those corner cases.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Lifespan, what are your opinions on blockchain gaming?
*giggles and runs off*

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lifespan posted:

I answered this a bit earlier. The 360 name made sense because they were trying to compete with the follow up to the best selling console of all time in the PS2 and as shallow as it is, Xbox 2 vs PS3 is a bit of a marketing nightmare. For the One and Series names, I have no defense. They were disliked as much internally as everywhere else and I never heard a good answer as to why they went that way.

I worked at an MS retail store when the One was announced and then launched and good God the training stuff we had to go through to try and sell that stupid thing. I don't think a single person on staff had anything good to say about the name when it was announced, and the training stuff was pure marketing nonsense.

Launch day we sold out (because lol stock) but I think at least 75% of those consoles came back because of an issue.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Lammasu posted:

Lifespan, what are your opinions on blockchain gaming?
*giggles and runs off*

*Writes a long diatribe about how blockchain is the future and NFTs make games more interesting and fun and everyone just DOESN'T GET IT YET*

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Lifespan posted:

*Writes a long diatribe about how blockchain is the future and NFTs make games more interesting and fun and everyone just DOESN'T GET IT YET*

Have you heard about the blockchain console that got announced, the Polium. They say it's going to have 4k/120 FPS but they don't have a protype yet and they expect it to release by 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lammasu posted:

Have you heard about the blockchain console that got announced, the Polium. They say it's going to have 4k/120 FPS but they don't have a protype yet and they expect it to release by 2024

Didn’t they say 8k in one of the pics lol

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

joylessdivision posted:

I worked at an MS retail store when the One was announced and then launched and good God the training stuff we had to go through to try and sell that stupid thing. I don't think a single person on staff had anything good to say about the name when it was announced, and the training stuff was pure marketing nonsense.

Launch day we sold out (because lol stock) but I think at least 75% of those consoles came back because of an issue.

I honestly don't want to know what sort of poo poo they tried to feed retail staff to sell the console. I will say that I have never worked harder on a project along with many excellent engineers who just wanted to deliver something great. It was a huge lesson in how management and influence can really gently caress up a passionate team. A big part of the reason I speak highly of Phil is that he was able to come in and make the real moves to call out mistakes of the past of win back the support of both the team and the customers. If Don Mattrick stayed in control for another 6 months we would not be talking about Xbox today. Sorry you had to put up with that poo poo.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Lifespan, do you ever see the BC program starting up again? I know they said they ran into hurdles with some games but there are a ton of original Xbox games that still could use the treatment. Or is it done for good?

Really want JSRF....

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

That Little Demon posted:

Lifespan, do you ever see the BC program starting up again? I know they said they ran into hurdles with some games but there are a ton of original Xbox games that still could use the treatment. Or is it done for good?

Really want JSRF....

I love JSRF, but when I left it was completely done. I hope they prove me wrong.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im not saying never, but iirc JSRF has a real tough road to hoe due to music licensing tracks and how Japanese music contracts and such get negotiated for use in other media

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
thats a bummer. I have a huge 360 and OG xbox collection and there are tons of hidden gems still missing like The Warriors

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Barudak posted:

Im not saying never, but iirc JSRF has a real tough road to hoe due to music licensing tracks and how Japanese music contracts and such get negotiated for use in other media

I get that, but they figured it out for the JSR remake/remaster or whatevr. I'm sure Cibo Mato wants the money

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I get that, but they figured it out for the JSR remake/remaster or whatevr. I'm sure Cibo Mato wants the money

Apologies, I meant specifically BC. A remaster is more (but not very) likely since that would be all consoles and a "new" game but I don't think the JSR did very well.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Ironically, I totally remember landing at the Narita airport on an Xbox work trip while listening to Birthday Cake.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1544527369293074435

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lifespan posted:

Ah yeah that makes sense. Cheers! Honestly do wish they had gone with the Xbox 720, and just kept that up. Sounds good and math teachers and skaters would forever more have an easier time teaching about degrees of a circle and names of skating tricks. Two very important foundation of our society!

hatty posted:

I way prefer the look of a good art style that's in not so high quality, vs super generic looking stuff, that's had thousands of hours poured into it to make it look "photorealistic" or whatever. Good gameplay obviously easily trumps both.

As has been said many times before, indie scene, although there's a lot of jank and garbage in it, more often takes a chance on more interesting art styles and gameplay. Also there's seems to be a bit of a re-emergence of AA games which is nice.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I still maintain they should have just called the 360 Xbox 3, the one 4, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

dr_rat posted:

Ah yeah that makes sense. Cheers! Honestly do wish they had gone with the Xbox 720, and just kept that up. Sounds good and math teachers and skaters would forever more have an easier time teaching about degrees of a circle and names of skating tricks. Two very important foundation of our society!

I was on the side of the rumored "Xbox Infinite" when the day came. It would have been very hard to follow, but I felt they had many years to figure that out. I guess the burden is on 343i with Halo now...