Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

oh hey it seems like theres now a newer (wip) patch of restoring p1s psx ost on the psp? https://gamebanana.com/wips/68611

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

And Adachi was able to do it because gently caress the rules we live in a society.
Also because Izanami could not give less of a poo poo about what happens to the people she awakened, outside of the results of the trial.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Booky posted:

oh hey it seems like theres now a newer (wip) patch of restoring p1s psx ost on the psp? https://gamebanana.com/wips/68611
I hope they can bring back the sound effects as well. It's amazing how much this port hosed up on the audio design side of things with Shoji Meguro as the director.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Having played Nocturne on Switch, I can also assure you it struggles to handle games from 2003.

The weird thing about Nocturne is it plays perfectly in handheld mode.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

I actually started to watch that for Akihiko but stopped for some reason. I forget why.

I admit, I watched this series before I played P3 but I have no memory of the show other Aki showing up so you didn't miss out much.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

girl dick energy posted:

On one hand, being able to play Persona 5 on the Switch sounds fantastic. On the other hand, the Switch already struggles to handle games from 2016.

I tried playing Xcom2 on ps4 and it runs like poo poo. The game is just bad on all consoles.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Had a random thought about how the skip function in P4/G would be totally lost on most anybody age 20 or so.

It's clearly modelled on how you'd fast forward a VHS tape - sound and visuals and everything - but who had a VCR in the mid-2010s or later? Kids coming to P4G on Steam might have no idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjEyzwFwgP0&t=72s

I remember somebody in here a while back wondering about the fact they still had tube TVs at the time of the game but I bet more kids have seen those than seen VCRs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like it's still a pretty common stock effect.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Teachs I know tell me they got kids who will walk up to computer monitors and smash their fingers into it, most of 'em have never seen a computer that wasn't a touch screen

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

NikkolasKing posted:

Had a random thought about how the skip function in P4/G would be totally lost on most anybody age 20 or so.

It's clearly modelled on how you'd fast forward a VHS tape - sound and visuals and everything - but who had a VCR in the mid-2010s or later? Kids coming to P4G on Steam might have no idea

I remember somebody in here a while back wondering about the fact they still had tube TVs at the time of the game but I bet more kids have seen those than seen VCRs.

Luckily it's still a cool effect even if you don't know what t's based on, a lot of stuff in life is like that where you don't remember how it started it but you just accept it for what it is.

Like, no one worships the Norse Goddess of love anymore, but we still have a day of the week called "Friday"

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Like, no one worships the Norse Goddess of love anymore, but we still have a day of the week called "Friday"

SHUN THE NONBELIEVER

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There are multiple pagans posting on this very site

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

that's so last friday

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

NikkolasKing posted:

The elementary schools I work at still have a few VCRs kicking around so it's not lost on everyone.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The elementary schools I work at still have a few VCRs kicking around so it's not lost on everyone.

This is really interesting to hear!

Please tell me they're attached to those big ol' AV carts we had back in the day?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gj8Yel2bUY&t=24s

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gaius Marius posted:

There are multiple pagans posting on this very site

Alright, fair enough, maybe this is a better example of what I'm talking about :

The symbols of the past remain even after what they were originally meant to invoke is no longer remembered.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

NikkolasKing posted:

This is really interesting to hear!

Please tell me they're attached to those big ol' AV carts we had back in the day?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gj8Yel2bUY&t=24s

Nah, we've got projectors in each room. Those with VHS just wire it up to them.

The issue is twofold: there's a lot of content that was available on VHS that's licensed to be used in a classroom setting. Getting up to date content on modern media either doesn't have a direct replacement, or has costs involved. Probably both. The little I've had to delve into that setting has been a nightmare. Most of it has been smooth over the decades, but apparently there's a few missing things here and there. I think at this point most of it is just on youtube in a grey state of copyright, but there are a few companies that exist solely to provide (mostly streamed) content for schools and other organizations, and licensing/copyright is enforced rigorously.

The other side is some teachers (a minority, to be fair) just don't want to find up to date material. Their lovely vhs tape covered what they wanted in 1991, so that's what they're using now.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

Persona 4 does have a lot of retro TV motifs that go back even further than that like the big stack of 60s/70s looking TVs in the TV world entrance / original opening movie, and a lot of UI elements like the combat menu and "advance dialogue" button being based on the shape of an old TV dial. It was a deliberately retro themed game already.

Schools, at least public schools always seem to use hilariously outdated technology, when I was in middle school around the year 2000 they were still showing us filmstrips of all things. (For those not in the know, it's a presentation on a slide projector with a pre-recorded voice-over track playing along with it. You change the slide when it plays a little beep or some of the more advanced ones change slide automatically. The ones my school used were probably from the 60s or 70s)

(Also I looked up the Twitter thread and the guy who asks why the save icon is a vending machine is just trolling)

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 6, 2022

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Item Getter posted:

Schools, at least public schools always seem to use hilariously outdated technology, when I was in middle school around the year 2000 they were still showing us filmstrips of all things. (For those not in the know, it's a presentation on a slide projector with a pre-recorded voice-over track playing along with it. You change the slide when it plays a little beep or some of the more advanced ones change slide automatically. The ones my school used were probably from the 60s or 70s)

I had to watch a 60’s anti-drug film strip in high school just like this in 2005. I’m pretty sure the recorded track was on a vinyl record.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I picked up P4U2 (P4AU?) today because I never played it the first time round and I have to say the pixel graphics look fantastic if you're playing it on the switch in handheld mode. It's pretty much a perfect match.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

P5 had the same fast forward effect, didn't it?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’ve been playing more of P4G on vacation after a long break and I’m just about to go save Rise. My opinion hasn’t really changed, still pretty good but not quite as interesting as 5R. I will say that I kept waiting for the cringe to be ramped up and even getting through Kanji’s dungeon it’s kept to a minimum but man they really make Yosuke into a gross loser don’t they? And I now see what people are talking about with Kanji, the game truly does feel like it’s trying to tell you that he only thought he was gay because he didn’t like interacting with girls because they made fun of him and now he’s “fixed” I guess? Weird as hell, I wish the game would just let the kid be gay, he’d be a far more consistent character. I’m also shocked that wasn’t even the worst part, everything with Hanako makes me want to die even more than Yosuke or Teddy when they’re being gross.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Yosuke just feels like a wasted opportunity to me.

Like, he's supposed to be your best friend in this new town but the only thing you have in common is that you're both not from there. In p5 you meet ryuji and by the end of the same day when you're eating noodles together it's a genuine 'yeah we're bros for life now'

His motivation for catching the culprit and most of his social stuff centres around avenging the death of a co worker who didn't actually like him which just feels kind of flat.

The real weird thing was that you get a moment in the same vein as when Mona leaves in p5 but way better. After nanako dies yosuke says outright 'we have the guy who (as far as we know) killed nanako and saki-senpai and we know we can never prove he did it. let's just kill him now by pushing him into the TV. they can never prove we killed him and this goes away forever'.

for you to say 'no there's more going on here but I don't know what it is' should be the impetus for him to fall out with you and leave the group. maybe do part of the next dungeon without him until he realises you were right. But they don't act on it and he just sort of trudges along behind you

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I don't think Yosuke was that keen on becoming a murderer, even to avenge the death of Saki and Nanako. If you convince him that there's something else going on he's all too happy to investigate that avenue. Even though he doesn't leave the group, that scene does have a failure state that leads to a bad end if you can't convince him, so I think it works out.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 11, 2022

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I think Yosuke and Mona are sort of prime examples where the tone of the characters got sort of twisted in translation.

Yosuke especially, the localization and voice work completely misses his character and he comes off sounding mean spirited and spiteful, whereas in the Japanese he's constantly self deprecating, and his jabs at other people are very obviously meant as comedy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzai). And I think without that comedy element he also loses a lot of his connection to the MC, because you build a manzai type relationship with Yosuke being the tsukkomi to MC's boke and it's in the rare emotional moments on his s-links where he lets down his guard and starts talking like a regular person.

In Mona's case, I think it's more a bad choice of voice actor than anything. Japanese Mona is the the literal voice of Pikachu absolutely hamming it up as a living cartoon character in a human world, and I didn't get any of that feeling for the English performance, which if anything is far too sincere.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 11, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yosuke is not the only person who wants to kill Namatame. People seem to like to forget it was Naoto who suggested the TV was the perfect murder weapon.[/u]

And I guess this is just a subjective thing because I (and quite a lot of other people) definitely got the BFF vibe from Yosuke very fast. Coming from P3, he's so different from either Junpei or Yukari. They were both aggressive and petty but Yusuke, while not as fawning as Teddie,, respects you a lot. You really do bond just being two guys hanging out and that's all you need sometimes.

Meanwhile I had zero feeling for any Phantom Thief besides Haru.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

And I guess this is just a subjective thing because I (and quite a lot of other people) definitely got the BFF vibe from Yosuke very fast. Coming from P3, he's so different from either Junpei or Yukari. They were both aggressive and petty but Yusuke, while not as fawning as Teddie,, respects you a lot. You really do bond just being two guys hanging out and that's all you need sometimes.

Same here on the Yosuke front, I found Yosuke to be more of a friend to the MC than Junpei or Ryuji. Granted, Yosuke had his share of faults, but some of those faults are probably better laid at the feet of the devs than directed at Yosuke himself (all those jokes at Kenji's expense, the typical Persona series horndoggery).

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yosuke is a great friend to the MC and a good older brother figure to Teddie he's just kind of lovely to everyone else.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

give us the scrapped yosuke romance where we can fix him :v:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Yosuke also shows a lot of initiative in shaping up the Investigation Team, acting as a soundboard for various theories, etc. He's got a pretty essential role.

Though I don't really understand the complaints about the Phantom Thieves not feeling like a group of friends, that wasn't my impression outside of a higher proportions of their conversations being directly about the plot. S.E.E.S, on the other hand, do feel more like roommates who don't have much in common outside of the mission.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Same here on the Yosuke front, I found Yosuke to be more of a friend to the MC than Junpei or Ryuji. Granted, Yosuke had his share of faults, but some of those faults are probably better laid at the feet of the devs than directed at Yosuke himself (all those jokes at Kenji's expense, the typical Persona series horndoggery).
Junpei I agree with, but I thought Ryuji was fairly well written as Joker's "best buddy", it was the wet fart of a rivalry with Morgana where he falls flat, and that's kinda more Morgana's fault than his.

YaketySass posted:

Yosuke also shows a lot of initiative in shaping up the Investigation Team, acting as a soundboard for various theories, etc. He's got a pretty essential role.

Though I don't really understand the complaints about the Phantom Thieves not feeling like a group of friends, that wasn't my impression outside of a higher proportions of their conversations being directly about the plot. S.E.E.S, on the other hand, do feel more like roommates who don't have much in common outside of the mission.
S.E.E.S. was very clique-y until very late in the game, with the underclassmen hanging out in one group, the seniors in another, and Ken off to the side staring angrily at posters and being passive aggressive at Shinjiro. So it's less that they were a group of roommates and coworkers and more that they were kind of two separate friend circles forced to collaborate on the same project.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Ryuji was always like. weirdly relatable to me because I was also a high school track guy who had a lot of my sports stuff yanked out from under me when I hurt my leg severely and also had to deal w/ everyone I was once cool with treating me like a traitor afterwards. His personal social link is legitimately one of my favorites in P5 just because it involved him learning to process his feelings and realize that the guilt and self-loathing he feels isn't healthy for him. It also somewhat connects to the infamous September scenes where he and Morgana are at each others' throats and he ends up crossing a few lines, because some of the stuff he's saying ("we never needed X, X is so useless, X doesn't really contribute") echoes the way his ex-track mates talked about him, and since Ryuji's very obviously been using the self-loathing/self-depreciating stuff as a way to "make peace" with it it's really plausible he'd slip into joking around like that about another person not realizing that that's not the type of friendship they actually have.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ryuji is cool

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

YaketySass posted:

Though I don't really understand the complaints about the Phantom Thieves not feeling like a group of friends, that wasn't my impression outside of a higher proportions of their conversations being directly about the plot.

That criticism was more about P5 (not Royal) in comparison to P4, and is based more on the comparative lack of slice of life scenes in the later game. The PTs (aside from Ryuji/Ann which have some backstory already) have lots of bonding scenes with Joker but not so much with each other, so it came across to come people as the PTs being friends with Joker and more of colleagues with each other.

Adding the Showtimes and more slice of life scenes in Royal helped a bit, but it's Strikers that finally got the 'big group of close friends' vibe right.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

anakha posted:

That criticism was more about P5 (not Royal) in comparison to P4, and is based more on the comparative lack of slice of life scenes in the later game. The PTs (aside from Ryuji/Ann which have some backstory already) have lots of bonding scenes with Joker but not so much with each other, so it came across to come people as the PTs being friends with Joker and more of colleagues with each other.

Adding the Showtimes and more slice of life scenes in Royal helped a bit, but it's Strikers that finally got the 'big group of close friends' vibe right.

I just wish Makoto was having fun in her Showtime with Ryuji. Cut the dude the tiniest slice of a break.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there's a general problem especially in the original game where the inter-character stuff gets less defined as the story goes on. like in the first chapter it's a thing that Ryuji and Ann know each other from before the events of the PTs and that never shows up in the rest of the game, probably due to inconsistent character writing and the game being a mess that went through years of rewrites in general

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

YaketySass posted:

I understand the power of first impressions, and first impressions of Yosuke are that he's a total idiot goofball, but he is clearly the smartest member of the group after Naoto and the MC if we even count him. He's the one who always leads the meetings and talks things out about the investigation, to say nothing of his crazy work ethic at his job.

I think it sets him apart from both the Ace Defective and Ryuji.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yosuke goes to poo poo after Ryuji's recruitment but it's okay, Teddie's there to make his life an unending hell.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I assume you're talking about Kanji, not referring to Persona Q2, the only game where Yosuke and Ryuji coexist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mix. posted:

give us the scrapped yosuke romance where we can fix him :v:

I actually did play a fangame VN based on this romance Yosuke and it's still pretty much a mess. I haven't played the PC mod for it yet but the more I reflect on P4:G canon story...I'm like it is what is.