Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think I might have found something or found something you might have already found or a happy accident:

1990 computer program according to the library of congress (so this would have been PS/2 era) named "WillPower"

https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/P...624014107&SID=5

The LOC copyright info contains the name of a creator, who has a linkedin account

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolas-michael-30286718?original_referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

This lists as part of his career: " Developed a Will writing program "WillPower" for Jacoby & Meyers"

Searching for "WillPower Jacoby & Meyers" seems to open up a few more doors, including a few magazine references (ads, reviews, mentions)

edit: I know you said it was shareware, but it's possible they put out a SW version in addition to a full-retail one.
edit2: On another search I found a reference in the latter 90s to a Kiplingers Will Power/Willpower, so maybe the assets changed hands or were rebranded by late 90s? Your comment specifically on executors made me take notice of a blurb on the back on box for a copy of this, stating as a 'bonus feature' it includes an 'Executor Assist'.

Porfiriato posted:

There's a review with a screenshot in a 1991 issue of Compute!, maybe that might jog OP's memory as to whether the Jacoby & Meyers version is the right one. (Also looks like they're calling it "WillPower 1.0".) Can't find a disk image anywhere though, old PC games seem to be a lot better preserved than old applications.

Thank you! Last time I checked I barely got any results at all. I managed to find old generic IBM applications from the mid '80s so there might be a disk image of Willpower 1.0 somewhere online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
There was a video on YouTube in the late aughts sometime called “the poo cutters” and if I had to guess, it was a weird song comprised of audio clips from a weird movie I’ve never seen or heard of, but that’s what it sounded like. Random audio like “spring break ‘08!” and “drat lillica” and “accident, mega dent, everybody brush your tooth” etc. It’s been so long that my friends hardly remember any of the dumb quotes we used to say from that song /video but we bring up “the poo cutters” as an example of weird early YouTube nonsense lost to time.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I received a dragon figurine as a gift some time between 1994 and 1998. It was pale green, and was sitting in a gift-giving type pose, offering up a marble. It was purchased at an Eagle grocery store in the midwest US. It got lost in a move years ago.

It's got the same baby-face-with-crystal styling as a Krystonia dragon, but none of those seem right. Plus, it had scale detailing, and the Krystonia are smooth. The same with Pocket Dragons; not enough detail. The detail on the Summit collection dragons is close, but I can't find one that looks like mine. It wasn't as iridescent as a Windstone dragon, and none of the Trinx dragons look right either.

I feel like I've looked at every collectible dragon figurine brand that's out there, and nothing is right. Does anyone have any thoughts?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
There was some sort of adventure game on my computer that was about a bear in a city, trying to get him some fish. Thats all I remember, but the game owned

edit: It has to be from either late 90's or very early 2000's. I think it was point&click but Im not 100% sure, but it was mostly puzzle solving
Also most my games that time came from weird north-european game magazine demo discs, so it could very well have been a cancelled game

The Alchemist fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 4, 2022

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

The Alchemist posted:

There was some sort of adventure game on my computer that was about a bear in a city, trying to get him some fish. Thats all I remember, but the game owned

edit: It has to be from either late 90's or very early 2000's. I think it was point&click but Im not 100% sure, but it was mostly puzzle solving
Also most my games that time came from weird north-european game magazine demo discs, so it could very well have been a cancelled game

The only bear-related click & play adventure that springs to mind is 1992's Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/fatty-bears-birthday-surprise
I've never played it though, so my guess may be way off.

EDIT: While looking at that title, I noticed MobyGames has a search filter for bear/panda-related games. Maybe you'll find it there:
https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/animals-bears-pandas

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Hungry Squirrel posted:

dragon figurine thoughts?

Franklin Mint? https://www.ebay.com/itm/292761670237

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Dave Syndrome posted:

The only bear-related click & play adventure that springs to mind is 1992's Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/fatty-bears-birthday-surprise
I've never played it though, so my guess may be way off.

EDIT: While looking at that title, I noticed MobyGames has a search filter for bear/panda-related games. Maybe you'll find it there:
https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/animals-bears-pandas

It's not this. It wasn't that cartoony nor oriented just for kids, although I was like 8 years at the time so my memory might be deceiving me somewhat.
Thanks for the link to the list anyway, I'll dig through it and report if I find it. Meanwhile, if anyone recalls a really good game about a bear that likes fish, do tell..

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

In my head is a terrible pun to the tune of “would my mallard feel-more if is billard was full-more” which I have to imagine came from some post or like maybe the BSS webcomic thread, and it was related to the strip Mallard Fullmore?

The pun is nonsensical enough that it may be misquoted by me or was just someone’s shitpost. Idk, ring a bell with anyone? Just wondering what the gently caress the source is.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

Uh...anyone have access to a bulk roller skate supply. Southeastern Skate or something like that? Dear god if one of you comes through I will kiss you twice.

They won't sell to commoners. Petite bourgeois only.

Longmont Potion Castle

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Tunicate posted:

Longmont Potion Castle

I feel like I'm having a stroke

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Literally A Person posted:

I feel like I'm having a stroke

That’s the sensation of biting into a York peppermint patty.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

pseudanonymous posted:

That’s the sensation of biting into a York peppermint patty.

5 gum

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

The Alchemist posted:

Meanwhile, if anyone recalls a really good game about a bear that likes fish, do tell..

This isn't your game but I really liked Enviro-Bear 2000.

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
A gif or a short video of a piece of poo poo in a toilet that suddenly becomes anthropomorphized and starts talking, then flies out of the toilet and into a man's mouth. plz halp

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

LordoftheScheisse posted:

A gif or a short video of a piece of poo poo in a toilet that suddenly becomes anthropomorphized and starts talking, then flies out of the toilet and into a man's mouth. plz halp

major username/post synergy

was it live action or cartoon? because it sounds like something from a mr hankey episode of south park

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

TIP posted:

major username/post synergy

was it live action or cartoon? because it sounds like something from a mr hankey episode of south park

It was live action for sure. Possibly from Latin America? Maybe from the 80s/90s? Real lovely production.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

It was live action for sure. Possibly from Latin America? Maybe from the 80s/90s? Real lovely production.

you may have trouble getting people to search for vintage latin american poop films

a real minefield

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Real lovely production.

:lmao:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have wanted to post this for years and years but felt it too embarrassing and silly but I'm just gonna go for it today. All I want, all i fuckin want is this animated like 20x20px emoji gif from a long time ago of a little :) enjoying music- the look of the smiley matched the basic vbulletin style.

I'm pretty sure I saw in BYOB like 10 years ago and all it was was a :) face of some sort wearing headphones and smiling, having a good ol time while a couple 🎶 floated over his head. He was straight vibing. My man was having such a good time that I've always wanted to steal it to post here or these days use in my discords. Unfortunately for me the internet has changed significantly since I first saw it so for years any time I search any combination "emoji music headphones animated" in google I only get these monstrosities:

please, someone, help me find him

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA
I want to find some of the old enclothe tshirts. Iykyk

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

I have wanted to post this for years and years but felt it too embarrassing and silly but I'm just gonna go for it today. All I want, all i fuckin want is this animated like 20x20px emoji gif from a long time ago of a little :) enjoying music- the look of the smiley matched the basic vbulletin style.

I'm pretty sure I saw in BYOB like 10 years ago and all it was was a :) face of some sort wearing headphones and smiling, having a good ol time while a couple 🎶 floated over his head. He was straight vibing. My man was having such a good time that I've always wanted to steal it to post here or these days use in my discords. Unfortunately for me the internet has changed significantly since I first saw it so for years any time I search any combination "emoji music headphones animated" in google I only get these monstrosities:

please, someone, help me find him
I logged in to an old forum to find this for you.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

we found my boy.

and he boy is beautiful, safe and still vibing. thank you so very, very much friend. i hope your journeys off the forum are kind and generous as you.

edit: i'll have to give him some white or gray headphones so they shows up on dark backgrounds and also to reflect that he upgraded to some bluetooth 'phones :c00l:

edit: adjusted him slightly to be more visible, I didn't like how gray headphones look

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 8, 2022

Melvitty
Oct 13, 2005

All the ponies in this town
are
CRAZY!
Lately, I’ve been on an extensive nostalgia hunt for media I experienced as a kid: TV, movies, video games, everything. I found a few things in this thread, and have found a lot of stuff on my own, but I have these few for which I’ve had no luck. I’d really appreciate any help, I tried to write down as much as I could remember:

Cartoons

1. Old cartoon (possibly 70s or 80s, and maybe educational) about possibly medieval warfare, there were armored men on horses using poles and swords. After the battle, tree trunks were being cut down and used to build roads for horses, and (possibly war) prisoners were placed beneath the trunks as execution or punishment as horses walked atop them and crushed them.

2. Animated short – An animated short that played between cartoon shows. It was stylized (geometric, paper cut-out, stop motion? Instrumental, no dialog – sounds like Spanish guitars in the background music) about a man who creates a robotic woman, he falls in love with her but she breaks down. In the end, he is sitting on a bench, sad and alone, and a real woman who looks like his robot (but different color dress and hair) walks by or approaches him and sits with him.

3. Anime – When I was a kid, I stayed up late and was flipping through channels and came across an anime (not sure if series or movie, seemed 80’s or 90’s style). It was a dystopian society, maybe the future, in which people were enslaved and any dissenters were publicly executed on electric crosses. You’d see 4 spikes come together over their chest as they were electrocuted. A female character, I think with long blond hair, tries to lead a revolution, but she is captured and about to be executed the same way, but a male character rescues her at the last minute. I remember she was up on the cross and one of her breasts was exposed, I remember thinking it was weird because she had no nipple. I changed the channel relieved that she was rescued but too anxious to watch the rest. As I was flipping the channels again later, I came across the ending of this. It seemed to have ended positively. She and the male character part ways, and she covers herself in a hooded cloak and walks away from the camera.

4. Webtoon – possibly in Flash. I think I had previously seen this artist’s work on Newgrounds and went to his website where he had other cartoons. One featured a blue succubus or demon girl whose floating head would appear and float around people. She talked about enjoying watching people’s awkward or embarrassing social interactions. She comes across a man and woman sitting at a bench not talking or looking at each other, and she exclaims enthusiastically “It’s just so… awkward!” The people didn’t seem to see her.

Games

1. Old (Oregon Trail style bit game) about a castle? Or maze? And riddle or puzzles to get through it. I remember a castle drawbridge. It had minimal colors. (Might be Memory Castle but not entirely sure).

2. Old game (activity center?) in which you selected images to print or could color in on the computer. I would always choose dinosaurs at a birthday party wearing party hats and eating pizza.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

BV posted:

I want to find some of the old enclothe tshirts. Iykyk

like you want to buy the shirts, or just see the images? because the ones I remember seem to be in the Wayback Machine

https://web.archive.org/web/2006021...5e2eb196dc1a879

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA

Gasmask posted:

like you want to buy the shirts, or just see the images? because the ones I remember seem to be in the Wayback Machine
Buy the shirts, but looking at the images is pretty cool too.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

BV posted:

Buy the shirts, but looking at the images is pretty cool too.

the dude seems to be active on reddit https://www.reddit.com/user/unled/

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

Melvitty posted:

3. Anime – When I was a kid, I stayed up late and was flipping through channels and came across an anime (not sure if series or movie, seemed 80’s or 90’s style). It was a dystopian society, maybe the future, in which people were enslaved and any dissenters were publicly executed on electric crosses. You’d see 4 spikes come together over their chest as they were electrocuted. A female character, I think with long blond hair, tries to lead a revolution, but she is captured and about to be executed the same way, but a male character rescues her at the last minute. I remember she was up on the cross and one of her breasts was exposed, I remember thinking it was weird because she had no nipple. I changed the channel relieved that she was rescued but too anxious to watch the rest. As I was flipping the channels again later, I came across the ending of this. It seemed to have ended positively. She and the male character part ways, and she covers herself in a hooded cloak and walks away from the camera.

This was the 90's redo of Casshan/Casshern Robot Hunter, which played a lot in the later 90s on the Sci-Fi Channel. No image added due to mentioned anxiety but you can Google that.

Melvitty
Oct 13, 2005

are
CRAZY!

Goat Bouillabaise posted:

This was the 90's redo of Casshan/Casshern Robot Hunter, which played a lot in the later 90s on the Sci-Fi Channel. No image added due to mentioned anxiety but you can Google that.

Ahh! This is it! Sweet relief. Thank you for the consideration and the help. It was a little rough googling this and looking through grisly stuff just for this closure. :kiddo:

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

Melvitty posted:

Ahh! This is it! Sweet relief. Thank you for the consideration and the help. It was a little rough googling this and looking through grisly stuff just for this closure. :kiddo:

Sure thing. Glad I could help.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Melvitty posted:

Lately, I’ve been on an extensive nostalgia hunt for media I experienced as a kid: TV, movies, video games, everything. I found a few things in this thread, and have found a lot of stuff on my own, but I have these few for which I’ve had no luck. I’d really appreciate any help, I tried to write down as much as I could remember:

Cartoons

1. Old cartoon (possibly 70s or 80s, and maybe educational) about possibly medieval warfare, there were armored men on horses using poles and swords. After the battle, tree trunks were being cut down and used to build roads for horses, and (possibly war) prisoners were placed beneath the trunks as execution or punishment as horses walked atop them and crushed them.

2. Animated short – An animated short that played between cartoon shows. It was stylized (geometric, paper cut-out, stop motion? Instrumental, no dialog – sounds like Spanish guitars in the background music) about a man who creates a robotic woman, he falls in love with her but she breaks down. In the end, he is sitting on a bench, sad and alone, and a real woman who looks like his robot (but different color dress and hair) walks by or approaches him and sits with him.

4. Webtoon – possibly in Flash. I think I had previously seen this artist’s work on Newgrounds and went to his website where he had other cartoons. One featured a blue succubus or demon girl whose floating head would appear and float around people. She talked about enjoying watching people’s awkward or embarrassing social interactions. She comes across a man and woman sitting at a bench not talking or looking at each other, and she exclaims enthusiastically “It’s just so… awkward!” The people didn’t seem to see her.

Games

1. Old (Oregon Trail style bit game) about a castle? Or maze? And riddle or puzzles to get through it. I remember a castle drawbridge. It had minimal colors. (Might be Memory Castle but not entirely sure).

2. Old game (activity center?) in which you selected images to print or could color in on the computer. I would always choose dinosaurs at a birthday party wearing party hats and eating pizza.

Game #1: The Coveted Mirror, on the old Apple?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I’m looking for a video game that was available in the mid 90s on MS-DOS. It was an airplane game that was 2D from a side platformer-esque perspective. You’d pick an airplane from this huge list (including helicopters and novelty planes and stuff) and then do objectives - stuff like picking up a stranded person or shoot down enemy jets or whatever. If you went far enough, the level circled around back to the start.

I remember a song from the game, went something like “drop a bomb, drop a bomb… drop a bomb - drop a bomb, drop a bomb… anywhere”.

Help me figure out what game this was!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Ruggan posted:

I’m looking for a video game that was available in the mid 90s on MS-DOS. It was an airplane game that was 2D from a side platformer-esque perspective. You’d pick an airplane from this huge list (including helicopters and novelty planes and stuff) and then do objectives - stuff like picking up a stranded person or shoot down enemy jets or whatever. If you went far enough, the level circled around back to the start.

I remember a song from the game, went something like “drop a bomb, drop a bomb… drop a bomb - drop a bomb, drop a bomb… anywhere”.

Help me figure out what game this was!

I finally typed in the right terms in Google and found it.

Jetstrike

So, nevermind!

Melvitty
Oct 13, 2005

are
CRAZY!

Abugadu posted:

Game #1: The Coveted Mirror, on the old Apple?

This doesn’t look familiar. It had fewer colors and it was a game for younger kids. I never got very far, so I don’t remember more details. Thank you, though!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The Coveted Mirror was the last of the "what was that game I played on the library's Apple II as a kid?" titles that I figured out, all thanks to some illiterate jerk correcting me when I (correctly, at like age 6) asked for the game from the locked game drawer and he was like "no, it's 'covered;' the mirror has a blanket over it."

Obviously he might have been joking but considering some of the other dumb things that guy said to me over the next few years of my childhood library visitation I think he was just a bad person to be working at a library

Oh this is the white whale thread not the retro tech thread, poo poo, uhh

I will quote the still unsolved white whales from my post earlier in the thread in case there are more people reading now, especially since still the only Goog hit for either of them is still this post:

Dr. Quarex posted:

[A] local college radio station was doing an automated summer session playlist on loop (this was summer 2004) and I kept hearing the same songs nobody seemed to recognize for a couple of months; two songs whose lyrics I am 99% sure are accurate, as I heard each of them playing several times and the vocals were fairly clear, but Googling those phrases still produces nothing 1[8] years later:

* "You can't cover up white walls" (shouted, particularly WHITE WAAALLLLS!, by an angsty lady vocalist, and this is absolutely all I can remember of the song other than that it was standard distorted guitar rock)

* "I'm the angel of death ... in disguise; I'm in pursuit ... of all the young guys; they say I'm the worst; you're not the last, and you're definitely not the first" spoken, but in rhythm to the music, and definitely also sing-songy and not rap-like at all; backing music was somewhat minimal and somewhat eclectically electronic

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The Vanishing, "White Walls"
https://youtu.be/xUsAMC1aoSw

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
HOLY poo poo IT HAPPENED

Thank you, terrifying dog avatar

I was not only adding the word "up" to the chorus, I was actually adding the extra beat necessary to make it sound right in my head. Fascinating!

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

White Whales: White Walls

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

HOLY poo poo IT HAPPENED

Thank you, terrifying dog avatar

I was not only adding the word "up" to the chorus, I was actually adding the extra beat necessary to make it sound right in my head. Fascinating!

Aww, you even gave a lil' youtube shoutout. Class act :)

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

There was a video that kept poppin up in my recommended youtube list.
Anime look, dark but saturated colours, some extreme perspective shots, most striking thing i remember is this butterfly/moth woman having a close up. I think it was a short video of no more than 2 minutes. I really want to see it again, anyone know what i'm talking about ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
I'm not sure if I've dreamt it or have been living in another dimension but recently I've been trying to remember a sci-fi book i possibly read a few years ago. Unfortunately i can't remember much of the plot except that it seemed to be set mainly in London during a war and everyone lived under a giant dome to protect them from bombs. At one point i remember there was a bit about a train leaving the dome to go to some secret bunker and bits describing how everyone lived from day to day but apart from that nothing!

For some reason Stephen Baxter comes to mind but it doesn't seem to be any of his books. The only vaguely similar result i can find on the net is a suggestion that it's a Phillip k dick book but the plotline doesn't seem the same.

Am I dreaming or going mad?