Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I think that is something buggy with the Oculus software on the PC end.
I have fixed it before by just starting the software beforehand, or just restarting.
I think it may be buggy with the service thats installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So I finally decided to give mods in H3VR a try.

Holy poo poo I should have done this sooner, you can massively expand the replayability of the game. Added a hundred plus new guns, half a dozen take and hold maps, a bunch of new TNH characters, it's great.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

kemikalkadet posted:

MSFS and DCS both have separate settings for VR which they automatically apply when you enter/launch in VR mode. That said, I was never able to go back to flatscreen when after I tried VR, it's just so much more fun.

What specs for a computer are realistic for MSFS on Quest 2? Do you have physical controls for it or do you use your headset's controllers?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Brocktoon posted:

Just gave airlink a try after no having used it for a while and I can't seem to connect. The Quest tells me I am connected to the computer when I boot it up, but when I click "Launch" in airplay, I get the three dots for a few seconds but then are kicked back to the oculus home screen. Nothing in my wi-fi setup has changed (computer hard-wired and in the same room as the quest), so has anything changed with airlink in the past few updates that I should look at/adjust?

I've had this happen a couple of times and restarting my PC has fixed it each time. Probably not the perfect solution but turning it off and on again cures all ills.

sleepy gary posted:

What specs for a computer are realistic for MSFS on Quest 2? Do you have physical controls for it or do you use your headset's controllers?

I'm not sure about minimum viable, I'm not super up on PC components anymore. I have a 3070ti, ryzen 5 5600 and 32gb RAM and I get good framerates with some drops in areas with a lot of scenery. I have room to turn specs down though. And yeah I have a HOTAS, I think you can play with just the touch controllers but I'm not sure how fun it would be.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Man, I cannot cast to my iPhone to help my wife through the choosing games, etc.

It is on the same network and it is connected by Bluetooth. But it shows that I connect and then immediately goes to say that it is connecting. Over and over.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Casting has been iffy as gently caress for me

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

kemikalkadet posted:

I've had this happen a couple of times and restarting my PC has fixed it each time. Probably not the perfect solution but turning it off and on again cures all ills.

Have tried restarting the PC and Quest multiple times to no avail. Have also tried running the PC oculus app before connecting the quest. No dice.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Has it ever connected?
I assume it has.
e: yeah you said that, nm

Neither the airlink nor Virtual Desktop will connect if my VPN is on.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

I've had to reinstall the Oculus software once to get it working. After that, I switched to Virtual Desktop.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So I finally decided to give mods in H3VR a try.

Holy poo poo I should have done this sooner, you can massively expand the replayability of the game. Added a hundred plus new guns, half a dozen take and hold maps, a bunch of new TNH characters, it's great.

You can also fly a helicopter.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

sleepy gary posted:

VR taxes a PC even more in FS 2020, I play using a Ryzen 3600 and 3070 and get 40 fps after a lot of optimization on good resolution and details. Personally I use a controller but it's possible to play with the VR ones, though you really need a lot of buttons so I wouldn't recommend it.

emptyrave
May 13, 2022

I have a question: what is a good co-op/multiplayer exercise game that isn't a rhythm game? I love rhythm games and so does the person I'm playing with, but eventually we both want to play something else besides punching/slashing notes. I'm pretty new to VR so I don't know the options out there and I hope the thread can help me :)

E: To clarify, when I say exercise I mean a game that has you moving your entire body where you're giving both your legs and arms a workout. Not necessarily a game that's genre'd as an "exercise" game.

emptyrave fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 5, 2022

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Eleven table tennis is a good workout if you have the space to move around, though not as high impact as what you're looking for maybe

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

emptyrave posted:

I have a question: what is a good co-op/multiplayer exercise game that isn't a rhythm game? I love rhythm games and so does the person I'm playing with, but eventually we both want to play something else besides punching/slashing notes. I'm pretty new to VR so I don't know the options out there and I hope the thread can help me :)

E: To clarify, when I say exercise I mean a game that has you moving your entire body where you're giving both your legs and arms a workout. Not necessarily a game that's genre'd as an "exercise" game.

I have this but havent tried it yet.
Might be what you are looking for.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/590690/Sprint_Vector/
Its reviews say its pretty sweaty

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

emptyrave posted:

if you've got your VR legs echo is an amazing multiplayer experience, free, and will get you moving a lot

I pretty much always end up sweaty after a few matches

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OgNar posted:

Sprint Vector is indeed very sweaty if you get into it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Blaston is good, if you have the space to duck and dodge about then it can get really intense.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

picked up into the radius. I am not necessarily a survival horror person by nature. Any tips for starting out?

I finished it maybe a month ago, and had a great time, and I don't like horror. I turned the music and ambient sounds off, and just treated it like a shooter :D

My advice:
  • Practise with your weapon in the firing range/kill house. In particular, practise reloading smoothly without losing your magazine in the process. The idea is to get comfortable enough that you can do it quickly in a firefight.
  • Mags are expensive, so you're going to want to hang on to them. It's very very easy to lose them if you drop them in combat. When reloading in combat, I would put the old one in my pouch. Outside of combat, I would put completely empty ones in my backpack, and put less-full ones in my front pouches from left to right.
  • I found it useful to keep my backpack organised, particularly keeping healing items in the same spot so that I could reach them quickly.
  • It's a good idea to clean your gun every time you get back to base.
  • I'd say don't worry too much about cleaning your magazines as often.
  • Try out a weapon in the firing range before you buy. Some of them don't necessarily have the features you want (no semi-auto on the AUG!!!) and some groups of weapons operate differently to others. A new gun + 5 mags is verry expensive, so it helps to check that you're going to like what you buy before you buy it!
  • You can find some pretty decent weapons out there as loot, though. On that note: go ahead and use the shotguns you find, rather than saving them for something big and tough - I kept saving them for something, never ended up using them, and ended the game with like a zillion shells (and an FN SCAR-H, but anyway...)
  • I ended up keeping a light at my left breast slot, anomaly scanner on my right. The light can still be switched on while in the slot.
  • I didn't end up stealthing much at all. I barely used my suppressor and I never used subsonic ammunition.
  • I don't think I ever really used my knife except to eat.

e: oh, I remembered an important one: you need to hold a rifle or (non sawn off) shotgun with two virtual hands. If you use only one, the shot will go wild. It feels pretty silly sticking your hand out and grabbing absolutely nothing, but the game steadies your aim to compensate. I tried holding my aim steady on a target, looking through a 4x scope, both one-handed supporting my right hand with my left (like I usually shoot in VR), and then with my left hand grabbing the virtual gun barrel, and it was actually easier to keep the crosshair on target doing it how the game wants you to, holding the virtual barrel.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 5, 2022

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Isn't that how you shoot most rifles in VR, or is it open of those days where my brain doesn't work

you're saying firing a two handed weapon in VR is easier if you take your non-trigger hand and mime/pretend/steady the rifle with your other hand?

I mean

okay - rereading you like to game the system because it isn't real and instead of holding a rifle with two hands you use your off-hand to support so you don't have reticle wobble...

I mean yeah but most games I've played will make you shoot buckwild with recoil unless you're two handed gripping. hell the .50 cal in Pavlov flies out of your hand if you fire it one-handed.

but yeah...

I'm not surprised holding the gun correctly is better

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 5, 2022

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

emptyrave posted:

Blaston

OgNar posted:

No

Don't.

gently caress that company and gently caress its not really crossplay crossplay.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

An advice if you believe you are in the segment target for a game like The Last Clockwinder: the game needs a good amount of space, despite having the usual artificial locomotion, you are constantly throwing or catching stuff or stretching yourself to push a lever, etc so the game can be a 'boundaryfest'.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

An advice if you believe you are in the segment target for a game like The Last Clockwinder: the game needs a good amount of space, despite having the usual artificial locomotion, you are constantly throwing or catching stuff or stretching yourself to push a lever, etc so the game can be a 'boundaryfest'.

Not having high ceilings in my new apartment has led me to stop playing Echo VR because holy poo poo I've punched the ceiling twice

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

forest spirit posted:

Isn't that how you shoot most rifles in VR, or is it open of those days where my brain doesn't work

you're saying firing a two handed weapon in VR is easier if you take your non-trigger hand and mime/pretend/steady the rifle with your other hand?

I mean

okay - rereading you like to game the system because it isn't real and instead of holding a rifle with two hands you use your off-hand to support so you don't have reticle wobble...

I mean yeah but most games I've played will make you shoot buckwild with recoil unless you're two handed gripping. hell the .50 cal in Pavlov flies out of your hand if you fire it one-handed.

but yeah...

Pretty much. I've mostly played games where you can grip with two hands but the game doesn't give you any accuracy plusses for doing so, or ones where there's no two-handing at all.

Personally I dislike being made to pretend I'm holding a rifle when I'm not. It doesn't feel good, there's no ergonomics. There's no actual stock to press into my shoulder and there's no actual barrel to steady. My off-arm gets tired pretty quickly.

There's trying to imitate reality, and then there's making concessions for the limitations of the medium.

E: that said, I would be interested in getting a vr stock, considering how much it sucks to two-hand empty air. But I don't know how well transitioning from gun to not-gun works with those. Eg in Into The Radius, you put your gun away all the time.

Maybe the absolute ideal would be something on a sling, that the controllers can easily attach and detach from, which magically also told the game that I've switched to a rifle...

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 5, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

Pretty much. I've mostly played games where you can grip with two hands but the game doesn't give you any accuracy plusses for doing so, or ones where there's no two-handing at all.

Personally I dislike being made to pretend I'm holding a rifle when I'm not. It doesn't feel good, there's no ergonomics. There's no actual stock to press into my shoulder and there's no actual barrel to steady. My off-arm gets tired pretty quickly.

There's trying to imitate reality, and then there's making concessions for the limitations of the medium.

I've had the opposite experience. I find it far more immersive and enjoyable to have to mimic the actions of holding a rifle, and the extra mobility that comes with being able to adjust your aim with either hand. Some games may not execute it that well, but others are outstanding. Contractors comes to mind as a great implementation of it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I've had the opposite experience. I find it far more immersive and enjoyable to have to mimic the actions of holding a rifle, and the extra mobility that comes with being able to adjust your aim with either hand. Some games may not execute it that well, but others are outstanding. Contractors comes to mind as a great implementation of it.

Oh nice! It's good to hear it works out for some people.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

:sigh: anyone really good at the nuances of Steam VR? So far it's been the biggest friction point of my WMR/Reverb experience

First, it's the only VR app I've tried with any kind of frame dropping/tearing issues--MSFS runs great at mid-low settings; all other games run great; Virtual Desktop is great. Steam Home and the game theater launch ok once or twice and then are unusably, nauseatingly laggy until a reboot--and I'm pretty sure the problem is with Steam itself, not the computer, because I can open a game in the theater mode, experience terrible FPS, then open the overlay and play the game at perfect FPS on a projected desktop window :confused:

Second, one of my ideal use cases for VR is to be able to play flatscreen games on a big Virtual Desktop monitor while browsing the internet/etc on a floating panel at my side. I got it working exactly as I wanted the other day by somehow getting Big Picture mode active on the monitor Virtual Desktop is projecting, then calling up a second monitor through the Steam VR overlay. Now, though, launching Big Picture mode causes Steam to disappear from my projected monitors and only opens directly in the overlay, and launching games causes me to exit Virtual Desktop and enter the aforementioned unusably laggy (and much smaller/less configurable) game theater mode.

Any tips?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Actually, you know what?

quote:

but yeah...

It takes two hands to hold the gun? Okay, I'm using two hands to hold the gun. I'm not "gaming the system", I'm not getting any advantage I'm not supposed to be getting by using my other hand to steady my weapon. And I'm not holding the gun "incorrectly", there's literally nothing to hold. VR is not R.

The only reason it works in ITR (and, presumably, Pavlov) is because they explicitly put in a system to compensate. Instead, you could just let people shoot how is comfortable for them. Sure, penalise me for not having my other hand near the gun (certainly for holding something else in my other hand), but not for literally supporting my weapon with my offhand.

Either that or mail me a free stock with your game...

E: and even with the game compensating, I found hitting with a rifle *much* harder than a pistol.

It's a bit intellectual anyway when it comes to a bolt-action, though, since you need to hang on to the gun with your left hand while you operate the bolt with your right.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 6, 2022

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I'd say there's a big advantage in two-handing weapons, if it's held in a single hand then every tiny rotation of your hand can wildly change the trajectory of your bullets

with two hands your aiming is usually based on a line drawn between them

so you can hold one hand up to your shoulder and use the other hand to move the end of the gun around giving you much finer control over aiming

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One of the free games in the Oculus store (Wild West shooter) does a thing where some weapons need two hands and it's kind of goofy but works.

I think the Shotgun in that weird free zombie shooter works similarly, because it's pump-action.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
What are the most common and best games to test yourself when trying out VR?
Like if I wanted to get into VR and see how compatible it is with my own being. Games that test the puke factor and how many limitations or VR crutches you may need to use in order to play.

More common games you'd expect to find at an arcade. There are a few VR rental areas where I can try.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 6, 2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I think i've been lucky.
The only game that made me feel even remotely woozy is that free roller coaster on Oculus.

This has lists by comfort level.

https://store.steampowered.com/curator/33961168-VR-Comfort-Rating/

You could always go to the arcade then reference that page.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Rollercoasters and Dogfighting it seems. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the list.

Edit: I'm totally out of the loop on VR games. Is there anything on that list that parallels Hard Bullet?
I ask cause nothing stands out as a Wire Gun Fu bullet time first person experience.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 6, 2022

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

NeoSeeker posted:

Rollercoasters and Dogfighting it seems. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the list.

Edit: I'm totally out of the loop on VR games. Is there anything on that list that parallels Hard Bullet?
I ask cause nothing stands out as a Wire Gun Fu bullet time first person experience.

most people will get nauseous on their first attempts at VR experiences with movement

there's a decent number of people who are fine from the word go, but don't think that it's out of your reach if you get sick on your first attempts

the important thing is to stop as soon as you start to feel warm, uncomfortable, or nauseous

don't try to push through or you'll end up associating nausea with VR, this can even happen well after you've gotten your VR legs

I thought I could play anything so I pushed too far in boneworks and for a month afterwards just thinking about VR made me want to puke

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Almost forgot about Resist.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3683568971682157/

Basically Spider-Man with guns.
I have no problem with the grapple swinging, fun as hell.
But it starts you out going up scaffolding on a skyscraper, and that part literally made me sit down.
Luckily that was a short bit.
No way i am trying Richies Plank experience.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dragon Fist VR is on App Lab as of a few weeks ago, without me having noticed. Having played it on PCVR it really feels like a game made for tetherless play in a big open area, so zuck got my buck. Impressive how good the Quest port is already, performance is excellent and visuals aren't too far off from the PCVR version, which isn't a looker but does use quite a lot of effects. I was surprised to see dynamic character shadows make it over.

If you haven't played it, it's sorta Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat round-based combat with Blade & Sorcery movement and a focus on hand-to-hand martial arts physics-based combat. Looking at videos the animation looks pretty jank, but what they lack in aesthetics they more than make up for in providing a challenge to fight, with a mix of mocap (performed by the one person making the game) and procedural animations that allow for true parries and convincing combos. There's also special moves, flying jump kicks and a fair amount of content to get through. A+ outta 5 stars

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

NeoSeeker posted:

Like if I wanted to get into VR and see how compatible it is with my own being. Games that test the puke factor and how many limitations or VR crutches you may need to use in order to play.

More common games you'd expect to find at an arcade. There are a few VR rental areas where I can try.

Like TIP said, most people experience nausea at first.

It's a lot like sailors getting their sea-legs, and in fact it's the same mechanism: your eyes and your other senses disagreeing with your inner ear.

That is to say, you could very well feel sick the first few times you try VR (depending on what you play), but just by stopping when you feel sick and trying again the next day your body adapts. That's what happened with me - now I have my VR-legs :D

That said, even ~800 hours later, if my character suddenly moves their head in a way I didn't control, it'll still start to me feel sick (eg in a first-person game with VR modded in, when the player character looks around in a cutscene). But that's really rare, and it's in stuff that's not made for VR anyway.

Anyway, the point is that whether or not you feel sick the first time is no indication of whether you can or can't use VR, because it's not a binary. Unless you have actual inner-ear/balance problems, though - I've heard from posters on this very forum that they can't do VR and never will be able to.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Anyways, does anyone with an Index use a gunstock, and if so would you recommend yours?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

we should have something in the megathread with everyone who owns the gun stocks giving their 2c.

I feel weird holding something with a barrel 28 inches away from my trigger but that's me.

I did have the risk of rain 2 VR dev make me a custom mod that changed the two handed rifle for Bandit to his pistol because I didn't like holding the rifle one handed all the time.

if it was a lever action and you do the flip reload then 100% I'm there shooting poo poo with one hand that rules.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Hyperlynx posted:

Like TIP said, most people experience nausea at first.

It's a lot like sailors getting their sea-legs, and in fact it's the same mechanism: your eyes and your other senses disagreeing with your inner ear.

That is to say, you could very well feel sick the first few times you try VR (depending on what you play), but just by stopping when you feel sick and trying again the next day your body adapts. That's what happened with me - now I have my VR-legs :D

That said, even ~800 hours later, if my character suddenly moves their head in a way I didn't control, it'll still start to me feel sick (eg in a first-person game with VR modded in, when the player character looks around in a cutscene). But that's really rare, and it's in stuff that's not made for VR anyway.

Anyway, the point is that whether or not you feel sick the first time is no indication of whether you can or can't use VR, because it's not a binary. Unless you have actual inner-ear/balance problems, though - I've heard from posters on this very forum that they can't do VR and never will be able to.

I'm very sensitive to motion sickness and I can now do normal movement instead of teleport hops for a minute or two at a time. I haven't been training myself or forcing it or anything, just normal play and teleport hops in the games I play normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

NeoSeeker posted:

Like others have said - it's not a binary "i get sick" / "i don't get sick" thing - when I first started any kind of lateral movement that I wasn't in total control of would make my stomach spin.

Now after a year or two of intermittent VRing the first settings I always reach for are the safety and comfort ones to turn everything off (smooth moving was easiest to get used to, smooth turning the hardest), cos I just don't get sick anymore. But it took a while of acclimatisation to get to that point.

I think one of the worst things you could do to your own tummy is seek out the most stomach-churning stuff day one - it definitely pays off to go at your own pace and move through stuff gradually, stopping any time you feel discomfort. There's nothing that will put you off more from ever playing than having to lie on the sofa for 3 hours cos a game went too far too fast.

But if you still want to gently caress your tummy up - get in the in-car view in DIRT Rally 2. Then drive in reverse.

Or do one of these:
https://clips.twitch.tv/ProtectiveRepletePeafowlYouWHY