Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
True, x86/arm would be tougher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm guessing that there's no discussion on investing on mining asteroids because the industry does not yet exist.
(And hey! besides debris there's no atmosphere among asteroids to pollute when mining in the vacuum of space!)

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Mining asteroids will make all the precious metals worthless because they’ll be so abundant. Terrible investment.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Uganda: we have a ton of gold

Whitey: that's it, we're going to space

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Mining asteroids will make all the precious metals worthless because they’ll be so abundant. Terrible investment.

But they will give you enough to build a solid gold space station. That'd be cool we'd have a second brighter sun in the sky

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We're like 2 years away from SpaceX putting their new mega rocket into commercial service. That needs to happen before we have enough people in space to need asteroid mining. Probably 15 years out before the first space mining claim is announced (filled with whom?)

I think in the near term arm is the biggest competitor to intels stuff, long term RISC-V is going to eat them for lunch and will be in every sub $100 Android phone like the ARM based allwinner A20 was churned out by the billions in China 7 years ago, except the chips won't have a $0.05 licencing fee attached since it's a free design/standard. RISC-V Chromebooks are probably 3-5 years out

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
If anyone's feeling not-great about their trades/portfolio this year, take note: you're very much not alone!

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1542603903195385857

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Ah, forget all these boring companies. The future is Vinco Ventures (BBIG)! Moon mining? You can be sure Vinco is on top of it! Finally spun off Cryptyde (TYDE) and the website is now up and running! Check it out, and be impressed! "A blockchain company focused on consumer adoption of smart contract technologies" is apparently the pitch. Combining 3 big players: Web3 products, bitcoin mining, and cardboard packaging (Ferguson Containers). Wow. Mind blown. I don't know where Honey Badger Media fits into this empire but it's also HUGE! Great timing guys, just when everybody is taking about bitcoin and NFTs!

TYDE fell 67% in a single day! Fantastic! I'm diamond handing this dumpster fire and not letting go! That said, Tiktok is under threat of being pulled from the FCC and Lomotif could take it's place. BBIG as owner (partial owner?) could bounce back, but who knows what's going on...

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Can anyone explain why a profitable company would have a P/B < 1?

I'm looking at Citigroup ($C) who is trading at barely above a P/B of 0.5. The only thing I can think is they are expecting to take big losses on something, but the analyst forecasts I'm seeing are projecting them to remain profitable this year and next year.

I would think a P/B way under 1 would especially make a bank look like an attractive takeover target, but maybe thats not possible for regulatory reasons or something.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

drk posted:

I'm looking at Citigroup ($C) who is trading at barely above a P/B of 0.5. The only thing I can think is they are expecting to take big losses on something, but the analyst forecasts I'm seeing are projecting them to remain profitable this year and next year.

I would think a P/B way under 1 would especially make a bank look like an attractive takeover target, but maybe thats not possible for regulatory reasons or something.

It looks like most banks have P/B around or under 1, I'm assuming it's because they trend towards steady growth rather then rapid future growth expected from a high P/B firm.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

drk posted:

That's actually a really difficult question to answer. Part of it is that investors still remember 2008, when Citi was burned hard, part of it is that in a situation where they'd actually liquidate they'd be unlikely to get book value for their assets, part of it is large banks are notoriously difficult to analyze and even going through every footnote to the financials it's hard to get a sense of their true derivatives positions and how they can blow up. Part of it is, if you're a bank with a ton of long duration fixed-rate assets and haven't been able to hedge away all the interest rate risk, those book values are going down right now.

quote:

It is practically impossible for C to be acquired, because of regulatory reasons.

One of the successes of Western bank regulation in the aftermath of 2008 was putting the "too big to fail" banks under stricter supervision and safety measures. As a result, Citi has to maintain, among other things, higher capital buffers compared to most of it's competitors. At least from a regulatory perspective, the incentive for megabanks is to get smaller, not bigger.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
The Supreme Court limited the EPA on regulating greenhouse emissions from power plants.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/supreme-court-epa-regulate-greenhouse-gas-emissions/

Is this good for power plant or coal investments, or something else? Or will the ruling have no effect? I notice coal-related companies dropped in the markets the same day, but may not have been for reasons related to the ruling.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

nnnotime posted:

The Supreme Court limited the EPA on regulating greenhouse emissions from power plants.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/supreme-court-epa-regulate-greenhouse-gas-emissions/

Is this good for power plant or coal investments, or something else? Or will the ruling have no effect? I notice coal-related companies dropped in the markets the same day, but may not have been for reasons related to the ruling.
https://twitter.com/gilbeaq/status/1542510243963215872?s=20&t=lzbH2iJLGppF0_-T2jFwYw
https://twitter.com/gilbeaq/status/1542510600831369217?s=20&t=lzbH2iJLGppF0_-T2jFwYw
https://twitter.com/gilbeaq/status/1542511133596065794?s=20&t=lzbH2iJLGppF0_-T2jFwYw

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Nothing changes the fact that it's cheaper to build a wind or solar farm at the moment than a new coal plant. Coal and natural gas will stick around for base load purposes but any capex to build new generation facilities is going to be squeezed by the threat of cheap green energy and future regulations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Artonos posted:

Nothing changes the fact that it's cheaper to build a wind or solar farm at the moment than a new coal plant. Coal and natural gas will stick around for base load purposes but any capex to build new generation facilities is going to be squeezed by the threat of cheap green energy and future regulations.

Natural gas is still the biggest threat to coal, even above renewables and regulations.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Ok, thanks, all. So EPA has ways around the ruling, and the alternatives to coal are more attractive to implement.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does not solve for the fact that coal plants have a lot less enforcement around emissions, not that the EPA was super effective there before. Would not want to live downwind of one

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Agronox posted:

2008, etc. Re: $C

Bought a few shares at open for my so far ill advised value plays. I look forward to having feelings about regulatory capitalization requirements changing unexpectedly by 25 bp or something

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I drive by a giant mountain of coal ash every day and can confirm they just keep dumping more ash on top.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

drk posted:

It's a good pick, back in the spring Buffett bought a few shares. So you're paying less than him right now. Just understand that Citigroup is a "funny" company. Like if you look back at the history of the company you can find it being involved in every financial crisis in history. https://www.corp-research.org/citigroup You know your cousin "Johnbob" who when you both were kids he stole your bike? Then in high school he borrowed your laptop then dropped out? Then he went to prison for a few years for meth, then got out and swore he was a changed man, just needed a loan to start a business so you gave it to him then he took off? Hello Citigroup. Down the road you can be sure something is going to blow up regarding this bank. Is it Russia, China, bitcoin? Might be all three... It will always be below book value so don't hold the stock thinking it will go that high, institutions are showing caution.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ARTPUP posted:

It's a good pick, back in the spring Buffett bought a few shares. So you're paying less than him right now. Just understand that Citigroup is a "funny" company. Like if you look back at the history of the company you can find it being involved in every financial crisis in history. https://www.corp-research.org/citigroup You know your cousin "Johnbob" who when you both were kids he stole your bike? Then in high school he borrowed your laptop then dropped out? Then he went to prison for a few years for meth, then got out and swore he was a changed man, just needed a loan to start a business so you gave it to him then he took off? Hello Citigroup. Down the road you can be sure something is going to blow up regarding this bank. Is it Russia, China, bitcoin? Might be all three... It will always be below book value so don't hold the stock thinking it will go that high, institutions are showing caution.

haha how do they put together a laundry list like that and not even mention the Hatian independence debt

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh boy! Now Shanghai's Real Estate Conglomerate Shimao has defaulted on it's debts!

I sure hope this helps start a buyers market

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Q3 and go

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Guessing this is a silly question but just looking for confirmation on this: let’s say you buy stock XYZ on 7/5 then, on 7/6, you sell all your shares of XYZ. Later in the day on 7/6 you buy XYZ again and hold it overnight to sell on 7/7. This would not be considered day trading at any point, right?

From what I read it didn’t seem like it should be but wanted to double check before having to scramble 25k to my brokerage acct one of these days :)

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Fireside Nut posted:

Guessing this is a silly question but just looking for confirmation on this: let’s say you buy stock XYZ on 7/5 then, on 7/6, you sell all your shares of XYZ. Later in the day on 7/6 you buy XYZ again and hold it overnight to sell on 7/7. This would not be considered day trading at any point, right?

From what I read it didn’t seem like it should be but wanted to double check before having to scramble 25k to my brokerage acct one of these days :)

Why don't you think that is day trading? The cash from the sell on 7/6 isn't settled (T+2). Separate from the day trading, it is also a good faith violation.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Arzakon posted:

Why don't you think that is day trading? The cash from the sell on 7/6 isn't settled (T+2). Separate from the day trading, it is also a good faith violation.

Thank you. It seemed like from what I read, a day trade consists of buying and selling a position within the same business day - all of the examples I could find seemed to indicate that the order of buying > selling was important. But maybe I’m wrong and that’s why I asked.

I should have specified that I had enough settled cash already in the account to avoid a good faith violation. Also, I assumed in the example that I made a profit on the sales as to avoid a wash sale.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
If you have a cash account PDT does not apply to you anyway. If you are margin a good faith violation isn’t anything you have to worry about. First figure out what acct type you have.

And any round trip transaction is a daytrade. Selling then buying is just as much a round trip as buying then selling.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You totally just made a wash sale, make sure you are flat in that ticket for end of year to not have a tax problem.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Pastrami posted:

And any round trip transaction is a daytrade. Selling then buying is just as much a round trip as buying then selling.

Thanks to you and others that responded - this is helpful! I’m still a relative newcomer to trading but have gravitated mostly to swing trading. Lately though, I’ve had a couple for day trades than normal so I’m really keeping an eye on that >3 in a rolling 5 business days number.

pixaal posted:

You totally just made a wash sale, make sure you are flat in that ticket for end of year to not have a tax problem.

I called out in my follow up post that I was assuming both sales were for a profit (my bad, I should have edited my OP). No risk of a wash sale if you never sell for a loss, right? :razz:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Fireside Nut posted:

I called out in my follow up post that I was assuming both sales were for a profit (my bad, I should have edited my OP). No risk of a wash sale if you never sell for a loss, right? :razz:

Yes but if that's your bread and butter plan you will have a loss eventually. Gotta plan for it. It's mostly a hey keep an eye on this be aware. Wash sales are really not a big deal, they are if you don't know about them and are swinging around fat stacks in multiple tickers because you are swinging a watch list of 20 names, which is what your proposed strategy sometimes evolves into.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 6, 2022

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Pastrami posted:

If you have a cash account PDT does not apply to you anyway. If you are margin a good faith violation isn’t anything you have to worry about. First figure out what acct type you have.

Thanks for this, btw. When I first started trading I read up on the basic DON'Ts - I don't think I ever revisited day trading rules since I very rarely take part. I just simply avoided buying/selling in the same day for the most part.

I don't have a margin account so I guess I don't have to worry about PDT? From a regulatory perspective, is the thinking here that if you have a cash account and you engage in day trading behaviors, it becomes a self-regulating situation because if you burn through your settled cash then you will incur good faith and free riding violations which will eventually restrict you to only using settled cash for purchases?

pixaal posted:

Yes but if that's your bread and butter plan you will have a loss eventually. Gotta plan for it. It's mostly a hey keep an eye on this be aware. Wash sales are really not a big deal, they are if you don't know about them and are swinging around fat stacks in multiple tickers because you are swinging a watch list of 20 names, which is what your proposed strategy sometimes evolves into.

Thank you! I am probably unnecessarily scared of wash sales lol It wasn't long after I first started actively trading that I saw an article posted on this thread about the kid who had that gigantic tax bill from accumulating endless wash sales by constantly jumping in and out of the same stock all day long.

As for me, I am still evolving what my actual 'strategy' is beyond getting owned by penny biotechs :)

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

ARTPUP posted:

Hindenburg putting out a new report on Enochian Biosciences (ENOB) - I guess the founder was just arrested for a murder for hire plot. I dunno, he seems OK to me.... I mean he can bend spoons!

https://twitter.com/HindenburgRes/status/1529523060818202626?s=20&t=kMucC5iFjFjd47h0_QFSgQ

Stock plunged on the news. Oh wait, it's up almost 18% now. Now we know what $GOON needs to do.

Quick follow-up that will shock no one. Oddly enough, the company just 'discovered' this guy used his magic to manipulate data in a couple studies:

Enochian BioSciences discovers two sets of altered animal data in two of its studies

SA posted:

After an internal review of its scientific data, Enochian BioSciences (NASDAQ:ENOB) has discovered that a former scientific advisor had altered and falsified two sets of animal data before the company's scientists could review it.
"One data set was for an inhaled COVID-19 treatment study while the other was for a (hepatitis B virus) therapy study," the biotech company said in a statement on Friday.

:lol:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Dang I guess the real lesson here is that biotech is easy if you just fudge the numbers before anyone with technical competency can review them

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

re: ENOB, the YOSPOS bitcoin thread really nailed the zeitgeist of the market yesterday

Splicer posted:

No, if you're investing in a hype train then an actual product appearing is the worst case scenario. Things that exist are bounded by reality. Things that don't exist can do anything.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
It will make for a more entertaining movie than Theranos.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

LLCoolJD posted:

It will make for a more entertaining movie than Theranos.

The newest silicon valley pitch is going to be "listen, my product is bullshit, but I'm such a deranged lunatic that what is going to happen over the next 3-4 years will be a compelling saga that generates long-lasting IP. You want in on the ground floor of that right?"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You would have to be more insane then our ceo to not buy this stock!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

re: ENOB, the YOSPOS bitcoin thread really nailed the zeitgeist of the market yesterday

Related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAdXyPYKQo

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rug pull wen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Whole lot of green out today, how are the livestock?