Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
Oh no not will quince

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I feel like all the no-name junior ministers should have resigned first with Sunak as the climax at the end. As it is they've got the order all wrong so that the chancellor resigning is being drowned out by the minister for buses etc.

Unless there's a grand finale yet to come...

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/snb19692/status/1544570920508997633

e: There's a fair few people on twitter talking about Boris supposedly getting his Canadian hairdresser pregnant, paying her off with public money and sending her back to Canada, supposedly with a super injunction in place.

he has a hairdresser? or is this the same as that violinist

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Nuclear Spoon posted:

he has a hairdresser?

It takes a lot of skill to keep up the illusion that he has a thick head of hair, especially after his brush with Covid.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

this political drama could be the catalyst for a new era in the Johnson premiership in which he seeks to transform the country with even greater ambition.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

fuctifino posted:

It takes a lot of skill to keep up the illusion that he has a thick head of hair, especially after his brush with Covid.

covid would be among his brush's lesser health issues

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

this political drama could be the catalyst for a new era in the Johnson premiership in which he seeks to transform the country with even greater ambition.

Pregnancy is a form of transformation

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I feel like all the no-name junior ministers should have resigned first with Sunak as the climax at the end. As it is they've got the order all wrong so that the chancellor resigning is being drowned out by the minister for buses etc.

Saj & Rishi absolutely thought that if they went the floodgates would open, all the cabinet members rushing for the exit. But they seem to have not actually coordinated this with anyone, out of hubris or complaceny or arrogance or sheer stupidity.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Saj & Rishi absolutely thought that if they went the floodgates would open, all the cabinet members rushing for the exit. But they seem to have not actually coordinated this with anyone, out of hubris or complaceny or arrogance or sheer stupidity.

I like to think they did coordinate with other people, but then when the day came the rest of them "lmao nah".

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Sky news had a reporter in Boris's constituency, and they only found one person who still supported him. The guy looked like a homeless drunk, who then went on to boast that he went to the same college as Boris, so that's why he supports him.

What a day to be alive :allears:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

fuctifino posted:

Sky news had a reporter in Boris's constituency, and they only found one person who still supported him. The guy looked like a homeless drunk, who then went on to boast that he went to the same college as Boris, so that's why he supports him.

What a day to be alive :allears:

Yes that's his dad

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

forkboy84 posted:

it's like half the rats have jumped ship and the rest are fighting over scraps of rusted anchor

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

the sex ghost posted:

Gonna wait til will quince is involved in a scandal and sell my 'QUINCE IN A JAM' headline to all newspapers

But I'm going to wait until Will Quince tries to do something ambitious but fails and sell my "QUINCE PASTED!" headline to all the newspapers.

Also the previous days we weren't just talking about poo poo and video games.
A lot of it was about comics too.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Christ, I love government in crisis days. So many bad people just absolutely miserable and you get to just have the live needs fees open on a tab waiting for new Breakings.

He'll never resign, there will just be bigger and more frequent crises until they drag him out.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Bug Squash posted:

Christ, I love government in crisis days. So many bad people just absolutely miserable and you get to just have the live needs fees open on a tab waiting for new Breakings.

He'll never resign, there will just be bigger and more frequent crises until they drag him out.

the big reveal will be who gets to do the physical dragging--whether brenda can do it herself or we'll have to wait till chuck takes over

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Please give me the satisfaction of seeing Boris cry.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
i hope he stays, really drag it out to the bitter end

i think his rivals are caught tbh; none of the leadership contenders want a contest now because the next half outlook is shot and they want boris to carry the can for it but also boris cant stop loving up and every time they dont act it makes them look weak and gives labour more chance of winning the next GE

incredible gaps between reality and narrative tho

narrative: boris the greased piglet, the eternal survivor
reality: turned a 80 seat majority into the shortest PM-ship of the modern era

all this great survivor stuff is just a way of fig leafing his many personal and public failings; it's not that some lazy, incapable prick is our PM becasue it was his turn and the rest of us have to lump it it's becasue of his weird genius

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 6, 2022

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

the big reveal will be who gets to do the physical dragging--whether brenda can do it herself or we'll have to wait till chuck takes over

Have his British citizenship publicly revoked and then just tell Pritti that there's an illegal immigrant squatting in Downing Street.

Athelthral
Apr 4, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

But I'm going to wait until Will Quince tries to do something ambitious but fails and sell my "QUINCE PASTED!" headline to all the newspapers.

Also the previous days we weren't just talking about poo poo and video games.
A lot of it was about comics too.

But I'm going to wait until Will Quince posts something funny on twitter and goes viral then sell my "MEME: BRILLO!" headline to at least one of the newspapers.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Rustybear posted:

i hope he stays, really drag it out to the bitter end

i think his rivals are caught tbh; none of the leadership contenders want a contest now because the next half outlook is shot and they want boris to carry the can for it but also boris cant stop loving up and every time they dont act it makes them look weak and gives labour more chance of winning the next GE

My insane hope is that he calls an early GE, with a hung parliment needing the lib dems, who force in their PR requirement.

It won't happen, even if the first two parts happened, the lib dems would roll over like they did on tuition fees.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Please give me the satisfaction of seeing Boris cry.

If he goes (huge if) it'll be via a recorded message and he'll have actually left downing street 2 hours previously

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

e-^^oh snap

He'll resign via pre-recorded statement on the eve of a fresh NoConf vote when it is obvious he's going to lose. By the time it's released he'll have snuck out the back door.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Why do people in this thread have such a hard on for PR when it'll just lead to constant centre/right wing coalitions?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Grey Hunter posted:

My insane hope is that he calls an early GE, with a hung parliment needing the lib dems, who force in their PR requirement.

It won't happen, even if the first two parts happened, the lib dems would roll over like they did on tuition fees.

Libdem PR is the 5p carrier bags of PR.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Enjoying all the no name MPs tweeting 'effective immediately I've withdrawn my support for the PM. I'm literally too poo poo even for Boris to give me a cabinet job but I wanted to post a typed letter with my signature at the bottom like I'm important'

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Why do people in this thread have such a hard on for PR when it'll just lead to constant centre/right wing coalitions?
oh i thought we were talking about puerto rico

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Because they are preferable in every way to governments having a "mandate" to do whatever the gently caress they want.

The only other country in Europe with full FPTP is France and basically everywhere else has a higher standard of living fpr most people than the UK.

Also historically something like 60% of votes cast in the UK have been left leaning governments whilst 60% (more now) actual governments have been Tory.

It's not a silver bullet but it would be a meaningful improvement.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It would also make electoral organising in conservative areas not completely pointless out of the gate and (probably) finally put a stake through the heart of left-labourism once and for all

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I highly doubt it would do any good but it might upset some people so why not.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Good luck defeating the next round of this voter catnip:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Good luck defeating the next round of this voter catnip:

The Lib Dems really are the dumbest most worthless cunts in the history of worthless parties in this country.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I assume whatever shadowy cabal/paymaster that ensures they earn millions after leaving office steps in and says "ahem" while threatening to make the money train vanish is what will cause him to leave like those before.

Until then its quite funny learning about all these minister positions who definitely did things.

No minister for beans up the backside though. Disappointing.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
there is nothing about pr that doesn't boil down to if we give the lib dems more power things might be better. we tried that and things got worse; find a new straw to grasp at.

why don't we embrace direct democracy and start holding referenda on all major policy decisions????

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah FPTP is basically just slightly better than a dictatorships when it comes to getting policy that represent the voters' opinions.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
In other news, check out this dude:

Midland's people maybe more aware of him than me. I was looking at his website "We’re on your PC but not PC. No BS. No Hate. Real, honest, frank mass debate!"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-62036724

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Rustybear posted:

there is nothing about pr that doesn't boil down to if we give the lib dems more power things might be better. we tried that and things got worse; find a new straw to grasp at.

why don't we embrace direct democracy and start holding referenda on all major policy decisions????

It's not perfect but PR is massively better than FPTP I really can't believe this is up for debate.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

constant centre/right wing governments? hmmmmm I wonder what that's like

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1544435322548883456?s=20&t=ZpHG7nimMF8zAOYudfKFng

lmao

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's not perfect but PR is massively better than FPTP I really can't believe this is up for debate.

it is. but it's like being in an economy seat on a crashing plane. getting an upgrade to first class isnt going to help much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Itzena posted:

Have his British citizenship publicly revoked and then just tell Pritti that there's an illegal immigrant squatting in Downing Street.

Can the home sec unilaterally revoke somebody's citizenship? If so I hear there is lots of empty seats on those planes to Rwanda