Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
Yeah my current phone is fine, I just want something small and given the only options in that size are the iPhone minis and the Pixel, I figure it'd be neat to try an iPhone as a life long android user. But I've never spent a dollar on a phone as mine have all been hand me downs, so I'm hesitant to spend a thousand bux on one.

I was considering the 12 mini but I read that the battery life was pretty bad. What are people's experiences with it? My Samsung Galaxy Edge S7 currently will not last a full day of browsing and shitposting so if the 12 mini can do better then I might just get that instead.

Inner Light posted:

Your avatar reads a lot like someone that has a foot fetish

My "does not have a foot fetish" avatar has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bltzn posted:

Yeah my current phone is fine, I just want something small and given the only options in that size are the iPhone minis and the Pixel, I figure it'd be neat to try an iPhone as a life long android user. But I've never spent a dollar on a phone as mine have all been hand me downs, so I'm hesitant to spend a thousand bux on one.

I was considering the 12 mini but I read that the battery life was pretty bad. What are people's experiences with it? My Samsung Galaxy Edge S7 currently will not last a full day of browsing and shitposting so if the 12 mini can do better then I might just get that instead.

My "does not have a foot fetish" avatar has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my avatar.

Don’t get the 12 mini. It is not awful, but the battery is way less than the 13 mini. Every review says paying extra for the 13 mini is worth it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
mrs oquendo has a 13 mini and loves it.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

bltzn posted:

Yeah my current phone is fine, I just want something small and given the only options in that size are the iPhone minis and the Pixel, I figure it'd be neat to try an iPhone as a life long android user.

Spoiler alert: you won’t like iOS. If you have a lot of friends on iMessage you will like it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I was an Android OG and I made the jump just fine.

You might be annoyed at first that you can’t gently caress around with the guts of it as much as you could android, but then you’ll realise you don’t have to janitor your phone as much because you can’t gently caress around with the guts of it, and then everything is fine.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

Hdip posted:

Spoiler alert: you won’t like iOS. If you have a lot of friends on iMessage you will like it.

Why's that?

I mean I hate macos because it thinks I'm too stupid to manage my files and applications the way I want but my phone usage is a lot more basic.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bltzn posted:

Why's that?

I mean I hate macos because it thinks I'm too stupid to manage my files and applications the way I want but my phone usage is a lot more basic.

Wait, what way do you want to manage your files and applications in Mac OS? I'm sure there's some way to set it up as you'd like.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Quackles posted:

Wait, what way do you want to manage your files and applications in Mac OS? I'm sure there's some way to set it up as you'd like.

I hate application packages and just want files spewed out over a folder hierarchy that only makes any sense to the developer.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

bltzn posted:

Why's that?

Exactly this. You either do things the way the phone wants you to do things, or you don't do them. Most android user's seem to come in here and yell for the first couple weeks they have iphones.

I switched over due to my wife sending me kid videos on iMessage. I gave in and it's nice.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This was for the Mac, but applies well to the ethos behind the iPhone too, but I still remember using a MacBook for the first time and installing a piece of software was just ‘drag the icon to the applications folder’ and I was insistent there had to be more bullshit I needed to do. Not caring about how the filesystem works for 99% of the time is such a blessing.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Hdip posted:

Yeah as someone who has bounced between Android and iOS every other phone, I don’t agree with this. It’s not like going between a PC and a Mac (unless you’re some hardcore programmer power user). Android is more customizeable but generally kind of clunkier, iOS all works together super well and has an incredibly curated look, but has less dials to fiddle around with, but really they’re both at a point now where you can do most of the same stuff on either device.

You’ll probably be using the same apps across either OS. Plus, iOS is more customizeable now with widgets, and Android is more beautiful with the Material You stuff. So I think unless you’re already all in on the Apple ecosystem, it’s a case of which phone and OS you prefer the look of. (I’m on a pixel at the moment but I think iOS has a much nicer aesthetic).

And Apple hardware also just generally has a really premium feel to it. Every iPhone I’ve had has always just felt nicer to use than the equivalent Android device, with the exception of the top end Galaxies.

Basically it’ll take you a week or so to learn where all the equivalent settings and features are in an iPhone, but in most ways its a smartphone. You’ll know how to use it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It seems like a lot of Android users complain about....

* Lack of universal back button (I prefer iOS's modal back swiping - it seems more logical and predictable)
* Inferior notifications (no denying this)
* Weird settings inconsistencies (why are there app settings in the settings app? Why wouldn't they be within apps themselves?)

edit: It's a little ironic that so many Android apps/devs have to pay for an Apple developers license so they can gain access to Shazam and Dark Sky APIs for Android apps.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 5, 2022

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I just miss Google Assistant, really. Even though I don’t use it on my phone as much.

It’s nice that Google’s survey app gives real money for surveys instead of the Google Play money on Android.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Looking at an iPhone 13 Pro, and noticed there is a difference in the video quality between the 128gb model and all other models.

Is the difference actually noticable for anyone other than people who want to record stuff professionally? I'm not, mainly just using for my own memories or posts on the *~socials*~.

There's a sale coming up in Australia for $300 but it's only the 128gb model, hence the question.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
You can only record Prores in 4K 30fps if you have more than 128 gigs of storage. Otherwise it's just HD 30fps. Probably because one would run out of space pretty fast. The normal H264 video should be fine for normal users and it doesn't have that limitation.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Using my wife's old XR at the moment, was planning to upgrade to the 14 Pro when my contract expires in Jan but I've also been considering just... not. No idea what the 14 Pro is going to be like at the moment so let's just pretend I'm asking about the 13 Pro instead. Other than the obvious upgrade in cameras and photo AI, is there much that I'm likely to notice in terms of day to day use?

I know the newer models can do FaceID with a mask on (but I have an Apple Watch to unlock my phone with so that doesn't really matter), and they have 120Hz screens which is nice but definitely not an urgent upgrade. Are there any major features that are exclusive to the newer phones?

This phone has iOS 15 and is getting 16, has decent enough battery to comfortably make it through the day unless I use it a lot more than average, and doesn't stutter or lag at all. Much better than I expected for a 4-year old phone.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Biggest diff is gonna be OLED screen and camera quality with zoom lens.

Apart from that the more trivial improvements over the gens are the bigger battery, ultrawide lens, 5G, MagSafe.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Surprise T Rex posted:

Using my wife's old XR at the moment, was planning to upgrade to the 14 Pro when my contract expires in Jan but I've also been considering just... not. No idea what the 14 Pro is going to be like at the moment so let's just pretend I'm asking about the 13 Pro instead. Other than the obvious upgrade in cameras and photo AI, is there much that I'm likely to notice in terms of day to day use?

I know the newer models can do FaceID with a mask on (but I have an Apple Watch to unlock my phone with so that doesn't really matter), and they have 120Hz screens which is nice but definitely not an urgent upgrade. Are there any major features that are exclusive to the newer phones?

This phone has iOS 15 and is getting 16, has decent enough battery to comfortably make it through the day unless I use it a lot more than average, and doesn't stutter or lag at all. Much better than I expected for a 4-year old phone.

Camera quality from a XR to a 13 Pro is huge.

I personally noticed the 120 refresh when I got the phone, although obviously it becomes less noticeable because you get used to it. On the flip side, I don’t notice the lack of 120 on my work iPhone 12, so heck if I know.

My opinion is that it’s a big jump from the XR in general and overall is worth upgrading to. Just depends if you want to wait until September for the next one.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Most of my friends switched away from the "Pro" models, but just about everybody without one comments on the photo quality of pictures coming from my iPhone 13 Pro. You can't re-create memories, so I've always been of the mindset that I want the highest quality photos possible with whatever iPhone I buy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have to wear wrist braces in my sleep now because I’m old and my wrists are destroyed. However, I really like the Apple Watch’s sleep tracking and use it to regulate a medication. Is there a similar sleep tracking wearable for some other part of my body (thinking upper arm?) that will do a good enough job? I’d really like if it just looped into Apple Health as well.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

Check out whoop.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Duckman2008 posted:

Camera quality from a XR to a 13 Pro is huge.

I personally noticed the 120 refresh when I got the phone, although obviously it becomes less noticeable because you get used to it. On the flip side, I don’t notice the lack of 120 on my work iPhone 12, so heck if I know.

My opinion is that it’s a big jump from the XR in general and overall is worth upgrading to. Just depends if you want to wait until September for the next one.

Yeah, I came from an S21 Ultra, so the drop in camera quality is very noticeable and I'll likely upgrade to the 14 Pro as it'll be released before my contract ends anyway. I also immediately noticed that this is a 60Hz LCD rather than 120Hz OLED display, when I switched, but after a month or two with no basis for comparison it's not something I ever notice in daily use.

Just wondering if there's really any other strong driver to upgrade, was all. Honestly it feels like older iPhones have a lot more life in them than older Android phones.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

tuyop posted:

I have to wear wrist braces in my sleep now because I’m old and my wrists are destroyed. However, I really like the Apple Watch’s sleep tracking and use it to regulate a medication. Is there a similar sleep tracking wearable for some other part of my body (thinking upper arm?) that will do a good enough job? I’d really like if it just looped into Apple Health as well.

pretty sure there’s a whole line of tech wearables for sex stuff, maybe one of them tracks heart rate, do some googling and good luck, goon

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's an armband holder for the apple watch. Apple warns that most of the activity tracking algorithms are written to assume being on your wrist, but it's unclear to me how much accuracy suffers. I'd try researching that a bit, see if it will work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

There's an armband holder for the apple watch. Apple warns that most of the activity tracking algorithms are written to assume being on your wrist, but it's unclear to me how much accuracy suffers. I'd try researching that a bit, see if it will work.

That sounds like a worthwhile thing to look into, thanks! I’ll just compare the readings between wrist and arm to see if it’ll work for me.

Thanks for the other suggestions too, everyone!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
In the year of our lord 2022, are bumpers rather than a full case still a thing anyone uses? My need to have a phone that isn’t slippery as gently caress continues to fight my need to have it be as thin as possible and I’m wondering if maybe a bumper is what I needed all along.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

In the year of our lord 2022, are bumpers rather than a full case still a thing anyone uses? My need to have a phone that isn’t slippery as gently caress continues to fight my need to have it be as thin as possible and I’m wondering if maybe a bumper is what I needed all along.

Spigen, my dude

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

They do make them. However most phones now have a glass back because of the wireless charging. A bumper case would leave the back exposed. I do not know if a cracked back glass would impact wireless charging.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It doesn't. At least, depending on how it cracks. Source: My iPhone XR that I have used for over 3 years without a case. I finally dropped it in February on the kitchen floor and cracked the hell out of the back glass. It still charges wirelessly just fine, though. Suspiciously the spiderwebbing of the glass snakes right around the Apple logo as if they designed the glass to not harm their precious logo when it shatters.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Spigen, my dude
I used to swear by Spigen cases in the early iPhone days, maybe I should look for them again.

Is the “liquid air” the slimmest one for a XS?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Think so. Mine is just thick enough to make the camera bump go away and to keep the phone from feeling like a bar of soap.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Why not get a magsafe case so you can take advantage of magsafe charging docks and such?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Gay Retard posted:

Why not get a magsafe case so you can take advantage of magsafe charging docks and such?
I haven’t seen any MagSafe stuff in person but wouldn’t they be a little thicker compared to most slim cases since they have to have more than just a bit of plastic or TPU in them?

So far at least I’ve never had issues just setting my phone down on my normal wireless charger and I have cables for when visiting friends after work when I may not get time to charge.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not enough to matter. The official Apple cases for the 13 series aren't even as thick as the camera bump

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Stop fighting and face to the Apple Leather case supremacy

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
anyone have this fancy anker magsafe dock? featureset looks nice (though i kinda hate the design), just want to make sure it works ok with magsafe cases (i have the silicone one) https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Magnetic-Charging-Wireless-Accessory/dp/B099W6X1WB/

also if anyone has something like this that is less Orb-Like they can recommend, would like to hear it. basically since i got my apple watch i've been in cable hell so i really want something that has magsafe for the iphone + can charge an apple watch, but like "watch + phone" stands are all $100+ nightmares that also have space for airpods which i have no interest in, so i figure something with a magsafe pad for a phone and then ports for my apple watch cable would be fine...

also weirdly i've found my iphone 13 mini is now discharging like 20% of its battery overnight, with nothing listed as using it in the battery history - i suspect this is related to the connection to the watch, and i'm going to try turning off my watch entirely at night and see if that helps. anyways, reckon i'll get a thingy like this so i can just charge stuff easily at night and not worry about it either way

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I used to swear by Spigen cases in the early iPhone days, maybe I should look for them again.

That's the one that I've used for my past 5-6 phones. It's pretty dang slim.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

anyone have this fancy anker magsafe dock? featureset looks nice (though i kinda hate the design), just want to make sure it works ok with magsafe cases (i have the silicone one) https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Magnetic-Charging-Wireless-Accessory/dp/B099W6X1WB/

also if anyone has something like this that is less Orb-Like they can recommend, would like to hear it. basically since i got my apple watch i've been in cable hell so i really want something that has magsafe for the iphone + can charge an apple watch, but like "watch + phone" stands are all $100+ nightmares that also have space for airpods which i have no interest in, so i figure something with a magsafe pad for a phone and then ports for my apple watch cable would be fine...

also weirdly i've found my iphone 13 mini is now discharging like 20% of its battery overnight, with nothing listed as using it in the battery history - i suspect this is related to the connection to the watch, and i'm going to try turning off my watch entirely at night and see if that helps. anyways, reckon i'll get a thingy like this so i can just charge stuff easily at night and not worry about it either way

That thing won't save you from cable hell because it only does one device, plus it's ugly. I would just go for the Apple MagSafe Duo Charger and you can do both at the same time, plus you get the fast phone charging.

As for your phone losing 20% overnight, I can promise you that's not the watch doing it. There's some app probably constantly pushing notifications or otherwise draining it, even if it's not showing up in the battery poo poo.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That's the one that I've used for my past 5-6 phones. It's pretty dang slim.

Gay Retard posted:

In the year of our lord 2022, are bumpers rather than a full case still a thing anyone uses?

Y'all use a case??? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Jose Oquendo posted:

That thing won't save you from cable hell because it only does one device, plus it's ugly. I would just go for the Apple MagSafe Duo Charger and you can do both at the same time, plus you get the fast phone charging.

I am not spending $120 to charge two devices on a thing that takes up more desk space, lol. I can deal with one small cable for the watch as long as I have a port for it; right now I am out of ports and juggling cables every time I swap between charging my phone and my watch

quote:

As for your phone losing 20% overnight, I can promise you that's not the watch doing it. There's some app probably constantly pushing notifications or otherwise draining it, even if it's not showing up in the battery poo poo.

It started when I got the watch. Nothing is pushing me notifications overnight or anything. I'll test it by turning my watch off tonight and see if it helps, since it's pretty easy to do a test since it's so consistent (every night I plug my phone in to my computer to charge, unplug so I have it as an alarm in bed, and now every morning I wake up and my phone is at 75%).