Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they should bridge the gap between classic megaman and megaman x by having zero kill classic megaman imo

just read Brazil MegaMan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

hatty posted:

The early to mid 2000s were a magical time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0WOpnGO5XI
ah yes, the pinnacle of animation in 2001

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
for real tho, rockman neo had some neat designs but most importantly it introduced me to Back To Mad, which is rad as hell and something I still have in my playlists to this day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk1asK7ElEE&hd=1

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lol I'm old enough to remember when the Mega Man Homepage was still hosted on the DigiPen student server and reading FAQs written by PixelBoy or Procyon Lotor.

And come to think of it, that website is probably the first instance I came across of fandoms being largely fronted by women.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

:thejoke:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Was it? Was it really?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I refuse to believe anyone asks for Cataclysm, even in jest

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
People have been clamoring for a Cataclysm game for years honestly, not knowing that it's completely fanon. It just got popular enough that it's just sort of assumed that Zero killed everyone despite like. No evidence that he did anything at all before he woke up and got decked by Sigma.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I meant the Bob and George video specifically, it wasn't that widespread was it?

The idea behind it of zero killing everyone has been around since power battles 2 when wily reveals he built zero, anyways

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
It might have been. It feels like there was a decent span of time where the Bob and George community was basically the bedrock of the Megaman fandom.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Flytrap posted:

People have been clamoring for a Cataclysm game for years honestly, not knowing that it's completely fanon. It just got popular enough that it's just sort of assumed that Zero killed everyone despite like. No evidence that he did anything at all before he woke up and got decked by Sigma.

There's no clear evidence that the super powerful evil robot from the evil robot maker, infected by a computer virus that turns robots into killing machines, has anything to do with the destruction of Light's Lab or the disappearance of the entire classic-era cast. But it's pretty obvious why people gravitate to that theory when there's also no evidence against it. Hell, Zero caused decades of robot wars just by getting punched in the head once.

Kinda a shame the Bob and George community has apparently totally vanished from the internet some years ago. I guess it's fitting given that the Megaman franchise is basically dead, but it's rare to see a community disappear so completely.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Classic Mega Man versus Zero has been the subject of more than one Japanese romhack I've played so it can't be that uncommon an idea.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Vizuyos posted:

Kinda a shame the Bob and George community has apparently totally vanished from the internet some years ago. I guess it's fitting given that the Megaman franchise is basically dead, but it's rare to see a community disappear so completely.

It's a webcomic that concluded in 2007 and it's painful to reread any of it (and I'm a stick in the mud that never liked it in the first place). That community is deader than disco.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I like to think the governments of the world realized just what a stupid idea it is to make sapient robots into slaves bound by Asimov's flimsy-rear end laws, especially since every 1-6 years Dr. Wily would kidnap eight janitors, construction workers, kitchen staff, and inexplicably weaponized theme park mascots and somehow hold the world at ransom until Megaman arrived to blow everything up. So they banned the tech, made all servant robots dumb and without self-consciousness as possible, and everything was fine.

And then Dr. Light had the bright idea to make a robot that was somehow both more humanlike and more powerful than any robot had ever been before, gave him the ability to theoretically emulate any weapon in existence, and made him a pacifist on top of all that. You know, for maximum self-loathing. And then Dr. Cain, upon finding this robot, decided that it'd be a super cool and good idea to replicate his design, because what the world needs is robots with mental illnesses and more weaponry than God.

And on top of that, Cain and Light were both vindicated by the existence of Zero, a robot built because Dr. Wily couldn't make friends in college because he was too busy working on the Double Gear system while Light and Cossack did vodka shots with sorority girls they impressed by talking up how much their research was going to totally change the world and also they were going to build a robot who could generate infinite diamonds.

EDIT: Got rid of some extremely unnecessary bigotry. "Not getting laid" in college isn't something to be ashamed of. Doing vodka shots with sorority girls isn't either; that's how Cossack met Kalinka's mom.

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 6, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn’t Inafune or someone shoot down the whole “Zero killed everyone from the Classic series” idea a while back?

Then again, it’d be weird for Wily to give that whole “After him, he is my nemesis” speech and then just immediately seal Zero away (not to mention that other shot from X4 of Zero standing in a wrecked area with his hands covered in blood)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bits of Bob and George haven't aged well but I look back on it fondly.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
MSPaint Masterpieces was always the superior Megaman sprite comic, anyway :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vizuyos posted:

a lot of us just moved on to SA. Gothic, VPX, Chick Bot, a bunch of others that I forget their BnG names are all goons

Snake Maze posted:

MSPaint Masterpieces was always the superior Megaman sprite comic, anyway :colbert:
yep

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Even if activity did slow to a crawl by the end, it didn't help that Dave outright deleted the BnG forums. Hard to maintain a community at that point.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

a lot of us just moved on to SA. Gothic, VPX, Chick Bot, a bunch of others that I forget their BnG names are all goons

Oh my god, there’s a blast from the past. I was there too, back when I was in my early teens.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

Didn’t Inafune or someone shoot down the whole “Zero killed everyone from the Classic series” idea a while back?

Then again, it’d be weird for Wily to give that whole “After him, he is my nemesis” speech and then just immediately seal Zero away (not to mention that other shot from X4 of Zero standing in a wrecked area with his hands covered in blood)

Pretty sure that scene was supposed to be the Gamma Unit that Zero absolutely wrecked. Sigma rolling up in there only happened after Zero had gone on stab happy on them (and anyone else who decided to check out the "Stab Happy Robot Ruins").

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Pretty sure that scene was supposed to be the Gamma Unit that Zero absolutely wrecked. Sigma rolling up in there only happened after Zero had gone on stab happy on them (and anyone else who decided to check out the "Stab Happy Robot Ruins").

Makes sense, though in the same dream Wily says “Now go, destroy him! That’s an order!” which would seem to imply that Zero fought somebody from the Classic series before being sealed away at any rate.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think the current canon is Wily tried giving Zero orders. But Zero had his mental poo poo together even less than Forte (whose default opinion generally seems to be "gently caress you, old man, I do what I want"), and was just 24/7 berserker rage. So Wily chucked his rear end in a capsule before he ever got any use out of him.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Namnesor posted:

Even if activity did slow to a crawl by the end, it didn't help that Dave outright deleted the BnG forums. Hard to maintain a community at that point.

slowed down largely because the moderators killed off a bunch of active forums and community stuff

Last I checked the bob and george IRC was still going and still banned links to somethingawful

Snake Maze posted:

*is*, technically, since it updated this year

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 6, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wily kind of sucks at making sentient Megaman knockoffs in general honestly (he literally states in Power Fighters that Bass’ creation was essentially a happy accident) so I can buy that.

Considering that the one time Light swiped one of Wily’s ideas for a change (the Double Gear System) he actually wound up making it better I guess Albert’s always been sort of a hack for that matter

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 6, 2022

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Tunicate posted:

*is*, technically, since it updated this year

Hell yeah, the saga of Reset Man on the moon could be finished within this decade!

Well, maybe in the 2030s, at the current pace.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Larryb posted:

Wily kind of sucks at making sentient Megaman knockoffs in general honestly (he literally states in Power Fighters that Bass’ creation was essentially a happy accident) so I can buy that.

Considering that the one time Light swiped one of Wily’s ideas for a change (the Double Gear System) he actually wound up making it better I guess Albert’s always been sort of a hack for that matter

Dr. Wily was the Tim Taylor to Dr. Light's Al Borland, complete with the latter having a luxurious beard and the former having an immense coke habit.

And if you disagree about the coke thing, then explain Woodman.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

A large amount of the Robot Masters were stolen and repurposed, created by Wily and someone else together, or by Wily entirely based off someone else's work. Man just isn't that great at making robots period.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wily is better at software, light is better at hardware

Of course it's still canon that wily's megaman copy that he thought sucked too bad to actually use was capable of defeating every other military force on the planet, so maybe it's more of a QA thing. Light spends 30 years testing his robot to make sure it works right, Wily goes off a gut instinct and ends up with useless bots like Bubble Man or Metal Man.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I don't know. Looking at Forte, King, and Zero, Wily isn't all that great at software either. At least in terms of "Making sure they give a poo poo what he wants them to do."

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
maybe he makes them TOO humanlike, and thus hosed up

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tunicate posted:

Wily is better at software, light is better at hardware
I thought this was backwards and Battle Network's conceit is that Light's software research got prioritized over Wily's hardware research as in the Classic/X timeline.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Funky Valentine posted:

I thought this was backwards and Battle Network's conceit is that Light's software research got prioritized over Wily's hardware research as in the Classic/X timeline.

Light is better at both.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean Wily is extremely capable at robotics to an absurd degree. Even if he's just repurposing things he's still turning janitors into death machines and creating things so powerful they literally shape the world for centuries to come. He's just also arrogant and hyper-focused on proving himself and ends up undercutting himself in the process. He's also not particularly as pure evil as he likes to pretend to be which means he isn't willing to go full monster outside of weird fanfiction.

Dude is basically a more chill Dr. Doom.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ironically Wily’s final creation did wind up saving the world multiple times in the future (not sure if that should count as a mark for or against the doctor though, probably the latter as Zero was originally created as a destroyer and ended up becoming close friends with a Lightbot instead)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Alternatively he's alt-universe Dr. Gero.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also to be honest Dr. Light isn't exactly great shakes.

Protoman is defective enough it's killing him. He made Mega Man X and then was like "Welp, this thing's gonna gently caress up if I leave it alone" so he shoved him in a stasis tube without like any protection so he ended up being mass produced. Most of his other robots were trivially captured and reprogrammed by Wily on more than one occasion. gently caress in an alternate future that even happened to Mega Man! Mega Man is basically his only real success without qualifiers except maybe Roll.

Between Light and Wily they managed to literally be responsible for the death of all humanity so really the true hero was probably Bass all along.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i want zero to kill classic mega man and say gently caress

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Doctor Light made a dog that turns into a jet board. Doc is a genius of the highest degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Dr Wily is really good at architectural planning and designing sick skull based machinery