Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Danknificent posted:

They’re very neat but not super intuitive, especially the later more complex ones. Definitely worth trying for cheap.

Oh, I got these mixed up with something else. I have Lakeview Cabin Collection but it never clicked with me. Those other games in the bundle look cool plus obviously gently caress this abortion bounty hunting insanity that is currently happening jfc.

I was thinking of Camp Sunshine and Sunshine Manor which is what popped up in my steam recommendations. Anyone played these?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/457570/Camp_Sunshine/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/745730/Sunshine_Manor/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Pope Guilty posted:

The itch.io bundle for reproductive rights has some good indie horror stuff, including Bloodwash, Lakeview Valley, Lost in Vivo, Pigsaw, The Glass Staircase, Night of the Consumers, Sucker for Love, Spookware, and some stuff from the Dread X Collections, including all of Torple Dook's games, Phili Hesselback's Axis Mundi, and corpsepile's Submission (the last two of which are absolute standouts of the Collections). Great bundle if the indie stuff is your jam.

(It's also got Catlateral Damage, if you just want to be a kitty knocking stuff off of shelves for a bit.)

thanks for the heads up i grabbed it for Spookware alone

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Just played through In Sound Mind; while not very horrifying, it follows the We Create Stuff pattern of being very consistently and rigorously designed. A strong recommend from me for a game that seems not to have drawn much attention.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I found it really difficult to get into Man of Medan. The controls and 30FPS were really frustrating to me. Is the control scheme in the likes of Until Dawn similar?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I found it really difficult to get into Man of Medan. The controls and 30FPS were really frustrating to me. Is the control scheme in the likes of Until Dawn similar?

I think they're the same. I believe the Quick Times in The Quarry are simplified from their previous games because all of the timed events have you pressing the left analog stick in one of four directions. Well, there are a few where you aim and shoot also but most are point the stick in a direction.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Another Dark Pictures game this fall? gently caress yes! The Quarry selling like gangbusters? You know it! I'm really psyched Supermassive is doing so well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is the Quarry selling well? Good for them if it is, just saw a lot of 'looks decent but I'll wait for a sale' type posts about it (unfortunately where I fell too.)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

My friends and I split the price on it so we got it at full price, and that felt like a reasonable way to do it, but if you're playing it solo, I wouldn't talk you out of waiting for the price to come down.

IMO it's a comparable quality and length to Until Dawn, in general all of the production values felt like they were a step above all three of the Dark Pictures games, especially the writing (though that may be as much preference as actual difference in quality). It's the first game since Until Dawn that I immediately wanted to replay to see if I could keep everyone alive (or kill them all, I'm not picky). I never really had that feeling with any of the Dark Pictures games. For me they ranged from okay to fine, lol.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Sakurazuka posted:

Is the Quarry selling well? Good for them if it is, just saw a lot of 'looks decent but I'll wait for a sale' type posts about it (unfortunately where I fell too.)

I saw an article saying it's one of the top most downloaded games last month on the psn. I hope it's doing equally well on xbox. I gotta check the steam stats.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

It feels like Jessie Buckley is one of the more currently high-profile people they've gotten, right? I know Rami Malek was in Until Dawn but I don't think he was huge yet then, and David Arquette/Ariel Winter etc. feel like less famous these days.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

roomtwofifteen posted:

It feels like Jessie Buckley is one of the more currently high-profile people they've gotten, right? I know Rami Malek was in Until Dawn but I don't think he was huge yet then, and David Arquette/Ariel Winter etc. feel like less famous these days.

They had Hayden Paniterre in Until Dawn and she was pretty well known at that point.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Fil5000 posted:

They had Hayden Paniterre in Until Dawn and she was pretty well known at that point.

Yeah she had just been in Scream 4 a few years prior.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yeah she had just been in Scream 4 a few years prior.

I imagine she was more well known for Heroes at the time instead of Scream 4.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

And Brett Dalton had done like three seasons of Agents of Shield at that point, and apparently eight million people watched that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Looks like "Hidden Deep" is 60% off on Steam, and just had an update adding flamethrowers. For anyone curious about that "Prince of Persia physics meets The Thing" game, but wasn't ready to pay more than :10bux: for early access.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

roomtwofifteen posted:

Dunno if he was at the time, but Will Poulter is suddenly a heartthrob, apparently, especially now that he's in Marvel movies. He used to be "that weird-looking British kid", but he's been in some pretty big/popular stuff.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Read After Burning posted:

Dunno if he was at the time, but Will Poulter is suddenly a heartthrob, apparently, especially now that he's in Marvel movies. He used to be "that weird-looking British kid", but he's been in some pretty big/popular stuff.

He's still weird-looking. I saw him last in Midsommar. He was pretty bold-faced in that movie.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Section Z posted:

Looks like "Hidden Deep" is 60% off on Steam, and just had an update adding flamethrowers. For anyone curious about that "Prince of Persia physics meets The Thing" game, but wasn't ready to pay more than :10bux: for early access.

Did they add proper multiplayer yet? Because I've had my eye on it but I don't fancy it solo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fil5000 posted:

Did they add proper multiplayer yet? Because I've had my eye on it but I don't fancy it solo.

At a glance, No. The only co-op listing appears to be in the challenge mode for local couch co-op in the menus, and people complaining there is no true co-op "Game is abandoned! *two days before they add a flamethrower, a few more levels, and NPCs*" posts.

This is my first shot at playing it terribly ("okay I could climb up that angled ledge, which means I can climb down instead of pulling out the grapple gun-*crawls past edge entirely and lands head first*). While it gives off 'admitted alpha test' vibes, the fact they apparently want to make a specific campaign instead of 100% procgen emergent gameplay shenanigans makes me optimistic that someday there will be an eventual ending. Less optimistic if I could get there without enabling unlimited lives to deal with my idiocy. "Haha, I would never walk face first into an instant death ceiling worm-well gently caress"

Hopefully if/when they get around to online co-op, they focus on the team aspects. Because while the Trailers hyped up "Watch out for traitors!", they also show enemies that are literally the defibrillator scene from the thing in a trailer.

The idea of somebody disconnecting your zipline rope shouting "Surprise, I was a traitor!" may feel a little less special when you are busy trying to escape or shoot flesh hornets that spit flesh worms.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm interested in trip reports on Madison, which is apparently the latest PT-alike

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I think they even use a theme when Arquette is on screen that is similar to the theme they play when he's around in the Scream movies.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oxxidation posted:

i'm interested in trip reports on Madison, which is apparently the latest PT-alike

Just saw this review today about it actually, seems pretty glowing

https://www.shacknews.com/article/131221/madison-review%3famphtml=1

I'm going through a backlog myself right now but it looks promising!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I picked up Infliction due to cheapness and good reviews. Here’s hoping.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Danknificent posted:

They’re very neat but not super intuitive, especially the later more complex ones. Definitely worth trying for cheap.

Yeah they're very cool as little mini slasher movie sandbox dioramas but actually "solving" them in order to win isn't super fun and will require a guide or a LOT of trial and error. It's cool to just explore and check out the different interactions and die horribly though

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

It seems like an actual good execution of a Bloober-style game. Lots of wandering through an abstract haunted house with the occasional puzzle to solve and effective jumpscares.

Like up there with Devotion in terms of haunted house walking sims but better paced and less obtuse than Visage.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

al-azad posted:

Like up there with Devotion in terms of haunted house walking sims but better paced and less obtuse than Visage.

Now you have my attention.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I finished The Coma 2: Vicious Sisters yesterday with the A ending. Pretty enjoyable and not really so much scary as it was tense and interesting. Almost a little Resident Evil-like in terms of shortcuts, backtracking and item management. There's also items and save points everywhere and they're unlimited so it never felt like there was much risk.

I kind of wish I'd played the first game beforehand though. The game makes effort to fill in players who might have not played the first one as the sequel is set two months later with mostly the same cast and setting, and for better or worse the one wiki for the series I could find had very little information regarding the story and characters in the second game. But the revelations about the characters backgrounds towards the end were so big that at the least I'm worried the story in the first game will be relatively underwhelming, and it almost definitely will colour the way I view the characters much differently than I suspect was intended prior to the existence of the sequel (unless this story was planned out well in advance).

I mostly played it because I've been interested in Korean made single player games set in Korea, and I appreciated the developers wrote the story and dialogue assuming westerners might not be familiar with historical and cultural references, and even frequently joked about how that goes both ways. The one westerner in the game being a blue eyed blonde haired guy named Chance did make me laugh though.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 10, 2022

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Oxxidation posted:

limited inventory, and 5/8 slots are persistent items through most of the game
:mad:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
so uh, anyone played Fobia? It looks good but it seems like barely anyone is talking about it so hard to find info

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
other than the inventory Madison is probably the best PT game I've played since PT
Visage looked good but I could never figure anything out in that game

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Well you guys have convinced me to add Madison to my wishlist. Visage wasn't bad but it just wasn't quite interesting enough as a game to me. I did watch someone play it at least.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Redezga posted:

I finished The Coma 2: Vicious Sisters yesterday with the A ending. Pretty enjoyable and not really so much scary as it was tense and interesting. Almost a little Resident Evil-like in terms of shortcuts, backtracking and item management. There's also items and save points everywhere and they're unlimited so it never felt like there was much risk.

I kind of wish I'd played the first game beforehand though. The game makes effort to fill in players who might have not played the first one as the sequel is set two months later with mostly the same cast and setting, and for better or worse the one wiki for the series I could find had very little information regarding the story and characters in the second game. But the revelations about the characters backgrounds towards the end were so big that at the least I'm worried the story in the first game will be relatively underwhelming, and it almost definitely will colour the way I view the characters much differently than I suspect was intended prior to the existence of the sequel (unless this story was planned out well in advance).

I mostly played it because I've been interested in Korean made single player games set in Korea, and I appreciated the developers wrote the story and dialogue assuming westerners might not be familiar with historical and cultural references, and even frequently joked about how that goes both ways. The one westerner in the game being a blue eyed blonde haired guy named Chance did make me laugh though.

I struggled to play the first coma, the monster is tenacious and hard to avoid and the map is intentionally confusing in its layout like rooms lead to different floors and such.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
oh, I thought Madison was that Allison Road game, rebranded.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Madison runs like dogwater on my PC. The Series X version has a game-stopping bug so I'll wait for a patch.

Has anyone played Fobia?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Finally got around to Observation and while it's not exactly a Swiss watch when it comes to plot, it's got a stupendously stronger grasp on visual design, cinematography, VA and the uncanny than basically any other sci fi horror game I've played (including Control and Observer)

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

al-azad posted:

I struggled to play the first coma, the monster is tenacious and hard to avoid and the map is intentionally confusing in its layout like rooms lead to different floors and such.

I picked up The Coma: Recut just after finishing the sequel and installed it today, and yeah it's comparatively pretty rough.

The mechanics are mostly the same, but the animation, art and sound is noticeably lower in quality, the stamina bar drains very quickly and the slice of life setup at the start was very brief to the point it may as well have just been a cutscene. The monster was introduced almost immediately too instead of doing what the sequel did and just throwing stationary obstacle monsters for the first 30 minutes or so to let you get a grip of the controls. The controller support itself is pretty spotty as well and the developers actually addressed this on the Steam forum admitting they had difficulties implementing it, so I think I'm just going to play it with the mouse and keyboard.

I got the sense The Coma 2 is the game they were trying to make the first time because it's otherwise just a much more polished and fine tuned version of the first game in every way (that I've seen so far). It wouldn't surprise me if they even ended up treating it as a soft reboot if they ever make a third game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Do you need to have played the first Coma to do the second? I have Vicious Sisters on my wishlist but haven't pulled the trigger yet because I didn't necessarily want to go through the first game.

Or rather, was playing the second game first a detriment to your understanding of the story?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Basic Chunnel posted:

Finally got around to Observation and while it's not exactly a Swiss watch when it comes to plot, it's got a stupendously stronger grasp on visual design, cinematography, VA and the uncanny than basically any other sci fi horror game I've played (including Control and Observer)

The space game from a couple years back? I'll take a closer look if so, the preview for that one is good looking.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CuddleCryptid posted:

Do you need to have played the first Coma to do the second? I have Vicious Sisters on my wishlist but haven't pulled the trigger yet because I didn't necessarily want to go through the first game.

Or rather, was playing the second game first a detriment to your understanding of the story?

I've only played the second and it felt fine. It takes place from the point of view of someone who knew the main character in the first game, but not what's happened to him, so everything is explained to her (and the player). There are characters present where I had the feeling that there was more to them than what the game was giving, but for the most part that wasn't the case, and reading through all the story bits gave me a good background on what was happening.

I'll be honest I didn't even realize the first game had any significant connection to this one until I looked it up afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

The space game from a couple years back? I'll take a closer look if so, the preview for that one is good looking.

Yeah I can't praise that game enough. The voice acting is top loving notch and the atmosphere the game creates is :chefskiss:

If you're prone to motion sickness that might be an issue though, full disclosure. If not I highly recommend it.