Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Ah well, nevertheless.

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1544658131183190019?t=5pv-TSszXt8KEKDCfnVADw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

A really fun (not fun at all) fact is Nadhim Zahawi is a member and former chairman of Le Cercle, a pro-apartheid, anti-communist club founded by Nazi collaborators & Opus Dei members.

Weren't these guys tied to the CIA and the Years of Lead in Italy too, or am I getting my shadowy far-right intelligence clubs mixed up?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:yeshaha:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Give me a general election yesterday

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

:getin:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Diet Crack posted:

Please don't, I got my Curve Jailer kill in World of Warcraft and I would have missed it if I'd had to work an election.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

I don't see how he would actually do this though. He needs a two thirds of parliament to agree an election.
refusing to step down though is a possibility.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Mega Comrade posted:

I don't see how he would actually do this though. He needs a two thirds of parliament to agree an election.

Fixed term parliaments act was abolished last year.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Banter timeline: Johnson calls and fights an election, Starmer gets fined by Durham police and resigns.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Full calvinball, love it

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

do it boris, drive the bus off the cliff, do it and be legends

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

The chaos always sounded like the more fun option tbh

Got a sneaky suspicion that this IS the chaos option.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
how does this even work? deselect the majority of your own party? is this source a drunk and vengeful nadine dorries? i hope it's not bluster and he really is going to bolt the doors in no10 shut

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
I can definitely see him deselecting some people. If nothing else, he can't run in Uxbridge in the next election or else he'll lose his seat. So he needs to parachute somewhere safe

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Is this any less true of the countries that have PR? According to this list (https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/which-european-countries-use-proportional-representation/) the overwhelming majority of countries in Europe use PR and Europe is still a neoliberal hellhole?

PR isn't going to change the World Order but it does mean that your MP will have to represent the interests of more of their constituents. In some areas they might continue to win with the support of curtain twitchers alone, but in most areas they have to do things that actually improve lives in their local area as well.

It's a small but meaningful difference.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Did he do anything specific that led to that or was it just Murdoch deciding to back a different horse

If you listen to Flying Rodent on Twitter, the problem Boris has is that he was rammed into No. 10 by the press all acting as one to get him there, and he's been a national embarassment for the past three years that's making them all look like complete idiots. The press have now withdrawn their consent for him to be there. They want him gone and they'll keep on hammering him with everything they can until it works. Aside from the Express apparently, but Express readers have only the faintest relationship with reality.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I can definitely see him deselecting some people. If nothing else, he can't run in Uxbridge in the next election or else he'll lose his seat. So he needs to parachute somewhere safe

Nope.
If he calls an election, that's him finished in politics. He knows it, as does everyone else.
He'll gently caress off, probably out of the country, possibly to somewhere they can't make him pay child support.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If he did set fire to everything on the way out I think that might make him the PM I most identify with.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

If he did set fire to everything on the way out I think that might make him the PM I most identify with.

It'll be the most substantial thing he's done as PM ( Other than indirectly getting hundreds of thousands killed through policy in-action).

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

OwlFancier posted:

i mean blair did that, except iraq

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Diet Crack posted:

Given the choice between Johnson or Starmer... Nicola Sturgeon is going to end up as the next PM isn't she?

I'm not even going to bother looking up the current LibDem leader.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

What's the extent of his personal ability to deselect anyone that's on his poo poo list? Does he still have that much party influence if not parliamentary?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think we know what BoJos resignation letter would look like

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

I think we know what BoJos resignation letter would look like

Not often i see a Babylon 5 reference in the wild. :neckbeard: :dance:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
lol lmao

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1544674361617047553?t=XlJIZUW7Q4AmBEwm6NZ5kw

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Oh no, how will Johnson’s premiership survive without Herbert Scrimegour, MP for West Pendelforth and [checks notes] Deputy Undersecretary for the Grouse and Foxhunting Committee

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1544674416541552640

That pic of him outside was totally him getting his orders from murdoch wasn't it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Dabir posted:

If you listen to Flying Rodent on Twitter, the problem Boris has is that he was rammed into No. 10 by the press all acting as one to get him there, and he's been a national embarassment for the past three years that's making them all look like complete idiots. The press have now withdrawn their consent for him to be there. They want him gone and they'll keep on hammering him with everything they can until it works. Aside from the Express apparently, but Express readers have only the faintest relationship with reality.

The article is quite enjoyable

https://brokenbottleboy.substack.com/p/fleet-streets-hot-dog-suit-shortage

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

That pic of him outside was totally him getting his orders from murdoch wasn't it

Or calling his dealer

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skarsnik posted:

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1544674416541552640

Maybe, but I doubt the spineless oval office said anything to Legend Bozza's face, he's more of a "brief against the Big Dog to the Mail, then barricade self into office" kinda nematode

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm trying to game this out in my head, if Johnson does decide to trigger an election out of pure spite (do it!), he literally just has to draft a piece of paper dissolving parliament and calling for an election, drive to the palace and have the queen sign it, right? What can the tories do to stop that? If they change the leadership rules, I suppose they could adopt a new measure which holds an instant vote for an interim leader, who would ideally be some temporary compromise candidate agreed in advance, and that person then needs to drive to Buckingham Palace to meet the queen and advise that they are the one who has the confidence of the house and should therefore be appointed prime minister? Is it just a race then to see who gets to the palace first? Would the queen necessarily be bound to act on whoever gets there first, or is she going to be forced to choose who to listen to ala Australia's Governor-General John Kerr in 1975?

Would be loving hilarious if in addition to just burning down parliament in spite he manages to trash the Royals' (public) reputation as politically neutral too.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

xtothez posted:

I'm not even going to bother looking up the current LibDem leader.
It's Ed Davey, one of the cowards who jumped ship after brexit. His voting record is one of solidly never, ever voting against party lines. Like this is not even a joke, he is straight up yellow tory.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
It's very funny that despite being desperate for anyone to become a minister he still hasn't promoted his biggest fan Michael Fabricant off the backbenches.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Just Another Lurker posted:

Not often i see a Babylon 5 reference in the wild. :neckbeard: :dance:

Not only that but it kinda fits.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

Aside from the Express apparently, but Express readers have only the faintest relationship with reality.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Who the gently caress are all these made up ministers

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

the sex ghost posted:

Who the gently caress are all these made up ministers

Yeah if we are learning one thing today its that there are too many ministers

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Reveilled posted:

Is it just a race then to see who gets to the palace first?

I hope so. Probably a bit dangerous to give them real cars for it though.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah if we are learning one thing today its that there are too many ministers

I have some good news for you on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Doesn’t being a minister come with extra salary? Maybe just another way to shovel cash into their mates’ pockets.