Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Meskhenet posted:

Looking at polymc, it looks just like Multimc.

I think i will give that a go and see :)

Yeah they're quite transparent about it being a fork of MultiMC resulting from disagreements about MMC's direction including among other things, Linux support falling behind and making it more of a hassle to install... apparently.

Which is ironic because MMC is still the easiest launcher to get working on Linux for me, while PolyMC has proven completely impossible unless I install something like 20 GB of build tools to my root partition (the entire size of my root partition, which is already near full) and built it from source. :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Lol

Ok nomifactory

I just cant get enough iron. Ive strip mined about 3 magnacite veins and need more.

How do i get past the iron scarcity?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you mine more

what tier are you at? lv, mv, hv, what? once you get deep mob learning up, automated and running, you can make iron out of power if you choose; once you get mini-miners going you have a more direct route to turning power into metal.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Deep Mob Learning is your primary source for a while but bootstrapping up takes a lot of resources. Luckily you get the resource finders and can search for iron directly - just make sure to stuff more range upgrades in. You can also make the drill pretty early for quick mining.

Machines also typically cut resources needed in half (or more) over handcrafting so you'll want to be constantly creating assembly lines for intermediate resources like plates and wires and gears.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 4, 2022

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah cannot stress enough that automating as much pulsating clay as you can and getting deep mob learning going should be your primary goal, it gets you all the base resources you can dream of and gets you on the path to numismatic dynamos which will be your power source for a long long time.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

For anyone looking for a server to play on, Progress is back! It's been a while, so things are a bit different this time. The pack is pretty small, but open-ended without any big changes to mods or recipes. It's all Fabric, and focused bigtime on performance, and using performance improvements to have a huge, beautiful world. Shaders come running out of the box :)

Server thread in PGS, anyone is welcome to hang out and have a good time: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006330

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
^^^ boy that sure is pretty.

Rynoto posted:

Deep Mob Learning is your primary source for a while but bootstrapping up takes a lot of resources. Luckily you get the resource finders and can search for iron directly - just make sure to stuff more range upgrades in. You can also make the drill pretty early for quick mining.

Machines also typically cut resources needed in half (or more) over handcrafting so you'll want to be constantly creating assembly lines for intermediate resources like plates and wires and gears.

This cannot be stressed enough. You will eventually need shitloads of EVERYTHING that DML can make, so get that poo poo set up pumping into drawers with lots of upgrades. I recommend starting with the base metals so you don’t have to mine anymore, then as you scale up power production work a few more sets of sims and fabs now and then.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you mine more

what tier are you at? lv, mv, hv, what? once you get deep mob learning up, automated and running, you can make iron out of power if you choose; once you get mini-miners going you have a more direct route to turning power into metal.

Just started, almost at MV.
Finding iron isnt the problem, its almost all used up with the next project :/

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Yeah they're quite transparent about it being a fork of MultiMC resulting from disagreements about MMC's direction including among other things, Linux support falling behind and making it more of a hassle to install... apparently.

What's the benefit of poly over multi? Looking at the website, I can't see any feature that makes a skerrick of difference, multi has been solid for me on linux for ages.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

ewe2 posted:

What's the benefit of poly over multi? Looking at the website, I can't see any feature that makes a skerrick of difference, multi has been solid for me on linux for ages.

Poly will tell you which mods of a curseforge pack need to be manually downloaded (due to overwolf exclusivity settings) and install what it can automatically, where multi will just straight up fail the pack install.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

And poly gives a direct link to the mod, that you click and it downloads. Then you go to edit instance and just add them in. Its super user friendly

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

Just started, almost at MV.
Finding iron isnt the problem, its almost all used up with the next project :/

Ahh yeah when you hit MV, you will want to go all-in on Deep Mob Learning automation. At LV, you want to start making the polymer in bulk so you can at least do some semi-auto resource generation.

Much later around, like, LuV or later, that will have to get dramatically upgraded to processing arrays. Leave a lot of space in the assumption each stage will need a band of 3x3x3's with room for interfacing.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

(Nomifactory)
If you need iron, use omnicoins to buy a half stack of banded iron ore (or yellow/brown limonite, they're all clustered in one big vein), scan one block, and go hunting for more of that. There's a LOT more iron in those veins than you'll find in magnetite deposits.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
On that note, always keep a single raw ore of each type around as the specific ore scanner + range upgrades covers an absolutely massive area with its scan.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Development continues.

Also I regret to inform that this has kinda gone right off the rails and I don't think it's quite applicable to call it 'Regrowth in space' anymore heh.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 6, 2022

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

create deployers do not pick up blocks or items that they break and my dreams of a remote-controlled fortune-enabled world eater seem to be in shambles

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Taffer posted:

For anyone looking for a server to play on, Progress is back! It's been a while, so things are a bit different this time. The pack is pretty small, but open-ended without any big changes to mods or recipes. It's all Fabric, and focused bigtime on performance, and using performance improvements to have a huge, beautiful world. Shaders come running out of the box :)

Server thread in PGS, anyone is welcome to hang out and have a good time: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006330

I tried this pack (on single player for a bit) on the Steam Deck and holy crap once it gets past the “load everything around you” it runs and look great! I may have to jump in and check the world out.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive got my polymer clay automated now,

But im not sure what my power problem is.

Everything runs fine, but the simulation chamber is always hungry for power.

I need to find pyrolutes or whatever it is so i can start to make staineless steel. What Y axis am i even looking at.

Now im always hurting for Iron and Copper. And i fear gold is going to be missing next

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I tried this pack (on single player for a bit) on the Steam Deck and holy crap once it gets past the “load everything around you” it runs and look great! I may have to jump in and check the world out.

You can play Minecraft on the steam deck?!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xun posted:

I've not tried it myself, but I don't see why not. It's got gyroaim just like any other modern controller and it's not like minecraft has a lot of buttons (modding aside.)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Xun posted:

PolyMC is available on the discover/Linux store the deck comes with and from there you can grab any modpack. It’ll even directly link to the mods it can’t automatically download. then you can use steam controller configs to emulator m/kb on the deck controls. It plays perfectly.

It makes the Deck’s fan SCREAM more than any other game.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 6, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

Ive got my polymer clay automated now,

But im not sure what my power problem is.

Everything runs fine, but the simulation chamber is always hungry for power.

I need to find pyrolutes or whatever it is so i can start to make staineless steel. What Y axis am i even looking at.

Now im always hurting for Iron and Copper. And i fear gold is going to be missing next

nuministic dynamos make boatloads of power when specced for gems and fed with emeralds, generated from the sim chambers

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
oh, are emeralds better than diamonds?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Xun posted:

Steam deck runs linux. Java minecraft runs better on linux than windows.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

oh, are emeralds better than diamonds?

I found in general they are for any pack that includes numismatic power generation.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Potsticker posted:

I found in general they are for any pack that includes numismatic power generation.
In Omnifactory, diamonds tend to be easier to generate (and you're going to need boatloads of them anyway) so most people go with that over emeralds.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

In Omnifactory, diamonds tend to be easier to generate (and you're going to need boatloads of them anyway) so most people go with that over emeralds.

Ah neat!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hey, sorry for the dumb question, and I know it sorta? mentions it in the OP, but gamepass has the Java Edition separate from the "Minecraft for Windows" one. Anybody knows if this one can be modded? Says 1.19

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hey, sorry for the dumb question, and I know it sorta? mentions it in the OP, but gamepass has the Java Edition separate from the "Minecraft for Windows" one. Anybody knows if this one can be modded? Says 1.19

Sort of! Your microsoft account that has gamepass is just your login for minecraft. Go download a modpack, log in with that account and you can play any mods you want on any version of minecraft. (This is what I do since I haven't bothered to recover my old account and I sub to gamepass anyway)

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Not quite ready to change my power. soon though.

Is there any reason why i cant access all my Draws using AE2?

Ive tried a storage bus on the controller as well as import and export bus's. nothing gives me access via the terminal. Its been a while since i used this. am i better off just making 20 drives and 200 1k storage cells?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
finally hit HV in GTNH. Think i might be burning out

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

Ive tried a storage bus on the controller as well as import and export bus's. nothing gives me access via the terminal. Its been a while since i used this. am i better off just making 20 drives and 200 1k storage cells?

Storage Bus on the controller, with high priority, should work for standard AE2 integration. If it's not higher priority than your drives that might be your issue

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Meskhenet posted:

Sticking a storage bus on the controller should make it show up in the network. But the drawer controller will only let you access drawers within 12 blocks that are connected to the controller. If you have more drawers than that or further away you will need more than one controller.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

finally hit HV in GTNH. Think i might be burning out

That’s about where I burned out. I finished HV, got titanium and broke at the sight of how much work was ahead of me to start upgrading into basic AE equipment and other EV stuff.

With that said, I had a really good time with GTNH up through HV and felt like it was a pretty complete experience; getting to and from the moon is a good capstone and a nice way to declare a lesser victory. After that really feels like a point for the truly dedicated or servers cooperating.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

LtSmash posted:

Sticking a storage bus on the controller should make it show up in the network. But the drawer controller will only let you access drawers within 12 blocks that are connected to the controller. If you have more drawers than that or further away you will need more than one controller.

Thats what i thought.

But no dice. My wall is 11 draws, controller, 11 draws.

I might log out and back in a bit later on and see if that fixes it

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

post screenshots

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

Thats what i thought.

But no dice. My wall is 11 draws, controller, 11 draws.

I might log out and back in a bit later on and see if that fixes it

Just making sure but you've powered the system and everything else works? Because it should work just fine with the bus.

If you do decide to go the cell route then it depends on how much stuff you want to stockpile in them - all cells have the same limit to different types while better ones just let you have more items total. So if you want hundreds of thousands of ingots stored then the largest possible cells but if you just want a stack of intermediate items then the smallest cells work fine and can hold many different types in a compact space. Just need to do a bunch of configuration on item limits and whitelisting.

Both methods of storage work fine, just more expensive both material and power-wise for the AE2 while being much more compact.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Logged out, restarted.

My storage bus was just an interface. (which is weird because i crafted it with mv piston thing, i re did that and now everything is working fine)

Now, for ore processing.

Do i want like 5 or so lines of LV or MV (or should i wait till HV) where i have the macerator -washer -macerator - centrifuge - storgage/maybe even smelter,

I see HV is where i start getting by products, but i get enough to screw things up with MV atm.

That way i have the mats on hand when i need them

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

You'll probably also make 200 1k storage cells, and you'll want a few drives worth of fluid cells. I can't see what I was doing at the moment, but I think 200 cells was my life with a drawer controller also taking care of bigger bundles of stuff. If you're just now clawing into MV then you can't really think about that.

I thought setting up the controller initially was pretty straightforward. I do remember having a problem when I started to get cute with my drawer shape. I was placing some drawers in the bounding volume overhead to make an aisle for another wall of drawers. Those overhead ones were fussy about coming up, but eventually just kind of did. I may have broken and placed one of them (using packaging tape). What all else I could recommend as a general diagnostic:

1. See if the network can come up with a 1k cell anyways just to see if that's fine. Beyond the controller just getting basic power is making sure it has enough power capacity to operate the drawers. Storage bus operations will eat more juice than hitting the drives; I would nuke my network's power doing big stacks. A comedy option here is to put the storage bus on a chest if you don't have a 1k cell.
2. Make sure you use an ME cable and not an ME conduit to the storage bus.
3. Isolate the controller down to just one drawer and figure out what the deal is with that before scaling up again.

BlondRobin posted:

That’s about where I burned out. I finished HV, got titanium and broke at the sight of how much work was ahead of me to start upgrading into basic AE equipment and other EV stuff.

With that said, I had a really good time with GTNH up through HV and felt like it was a pretty complete experience; getting to and from the moon is a good capstone and a nice way to declare a lesser victory. After that really feels like a point for the truly dedicated or servers cooperating.
I don't think I would have personally ever been able to get near HV if I wasn't teaming up. I took on a lot of the Thaumcraft side and that was an overwhelming handful--without considering the issues with excessive warp causing the base to fall apart all around me.

What I'll say about Nomifactory is if you want to play with somebody and they've moved well into the advanced game, then there's plenty you can still learn, contribute, and find for satisfaction. The final quest took multiple weeks for me to solo all in itself, and that's for a modpack that I could knock out a few quests daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Woohoo.

I am now at the point where im swapping over to numistic dynamos. Its just rewired my base with end steel energy that can put 32k through.

Set up a few lines of ore processors, i really need to get the next 3 EBF's though too.

Oh and guess what? Remember that quest early on that says use soldering iron instead of tin, because its way way cheaper.

Guess who has a tank of soldering iron,and has been tossing in a stack of tin bars every hour or so into a fluid extractor to run the assembler......