Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

i feel pretty sure that bill nelson's comments are a telegraph from the US that it plans to dominate the moon and prevent others from accessing it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

https://twitter.com/MBSmith05/status/1544300712888254466
:yeah:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Jokes on them, it will all go the Space Force SpaceX.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Lol
https://twitter.com/MBSmith05/status/1544335648118677504

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

yea, the jerries were doing that, what, around the same time as the bengal famine?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

quote:

Many of BYD’s models are plug-in hybrid vehicles, which use a large battery in addition to a traditional engine for longer journeys, but are counted as “zero emission” vehicles under China’s sales rules.

that’s just a Prius then

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah don't look up what counts as an ev anywhere. Ev's are an attempt to haggle with biosphere collapse and 'low emissions vehicles' are haggling with the haggling. The industry has successfully blurred the lines between an actual zero emissions car and one that runs a petrol engine part time.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

fart simpson posted:

fide banned karjakin for 6 months too and caused him to miss the candidates lol

That did get us Ding though.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 23:30 on Jul 5, 2022

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you use your car for commute, a plug-in hybrid will mostly use its onboard battery not the gas.

The term "zero emission vehicle" badge doesn't mean a thing. Your large Lithium battery in the EV caused a lot of pollution to produce. If your countries doesn't rely on nuclear power, the electricity used in the EV also causes a lot of pollution in the power plant.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 00:15 on Jul 6, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

If you use your car for commute, a plug-in hybrid will mostly use its onboard battery not the gas.

The term "zero emission vehicle" badge doesn't mean a thing. Your large Lithium battery in the EV caused a lot of pollution to produce. If your countries doesn't rely on nuclear power, the electricity used in the EV also causes a lot of pollution in the power plant.

absolutely agreed about the meaningless “zero emissions” part, but comparing a Prius Prime to a Tesla isn’t exactly a 1:1 in terms of energy storage capacity or battery technology. or when it comes to marketing dick-measuring

though it’s probably important to mention that even without charging at home or a station the battery on a hybrid combined with all the energy saving/capture technology will still boost a vehicle’s MPG by 10-15. while obviously not enough to stop warming it’s a significant reduction

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

My car gets half the mileage that is advertised, however I'll send foot pics to anyone who buys me a more environmentally friendly vehicle

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Seeing as this is the Oceania thread, renewables are also a viable option, we're over 80% in NZ.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Weka posted:

Seeing as this is the Oceania thread, renewables are also a viable option, we're over 80% in NZ.

Don't ask northland about power or EV charging

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

in north America unless you live in Ontario ZEV are a joke

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

people in america can potentially have insane commutes due to housing prices, latent racism, etc.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah my commute is embarrassing

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Slavvy posted:

Yeah don't look up what counts as an ev anywhere. Ev's are an attempt to haggle with biosphere collapse and 'low emissions vehicles' are haggling with the haggling. The industry has successfully blurred the lines between an actual zero emissions car and one that runs a petrol engine part time.

that's a lot of words to describe 'austerity tax on poors to feed the rich'

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Orange Devil posted:

That did get us Ding though.

yeah and he did great

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Palladium posted:

that's a lot of words to describe 'austerity tax on poors to feed the rich'

Are you saying poor people can afford new cars...?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

https://twitter.com/samwaltjones/status/1544417362350206976?s=20&t=n2wgNhXipMewStbnVYVwEw

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

keep it out of this thread

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

enjoying that all the headlines about byd overtaking tesla are sure to mention warren buffett's involvement even though bh only has a 7.7 percent stake

R. Guyovich has issued a correction as of 07:55 on Jul 6, 2022

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Honestly I'm surprised it's not Wuling if you go by vehicles sold like the article is. loving love Wuling, love the idea of an EV so goddamn cheap, barely even counts as a car, stupid as hell but so affordable you don't even care.

gently caress tesla and their 300,000rmb cars I'll get a Wuling MiniEV for a 10th that with a pikachu decal on the side and maybe even make it a town over on a single charge.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

R. Guyovich posted:

enjoying that all the headlines about byd overtaking tesla are sure to mention warren buffett's involvement even though bh only has a 7.7 percent stake

more like Warren Appetizer!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

:vince:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BrainDance posted:

Honestly I'm surprised it's not Wuling if you go by vehicles sold like the article is. loving love Wuling, love the idea of an EV so goddamn cheap, barely even counts as a car, stupid as hell but so affordable you don't even care.

gently caress tesla and their 300,000rmb cars I'll get a Wuling MiniEV for a 10th that with a pikachu decal on the side and maybe even make it a town over on a single charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bixJDOH864U

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't mean to look down on those super mini EV ( is there a name of these type of vehicle yet?), but I think most people can do a <10mile commute very comfortably on an ebike. And ebike is easier to park.

Plus most of the ebikes are made in China anyway. Bascially any form of 1 to 3 wheel electric transportation vehicles are made in China.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

stephenthinkpad posted:

but I think most people can do a <10mile commute very comfortably on an ebike. And ebike is easier to park.

Definitely, except when it's raining balls, or when it's super cold out in winter, or you need some trunk space, or you got 3 other people with you, or when it's a lot more than 10 miles out, but still not super far that you need more than an EV can do, because you work in an office that's on the outskirts of the city because that's where the factories are and the company took advantage of office space being cheaper when it's in the same complex as the factories.

These are just advantages of cars really, but a miniev is like 35k rmb and that's for the model with air conditioning so gently caress it why not.

Ebikes are great, but they also suck a lot too.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I seem to remember Wuling Hongguang is not fast enough to go on highway?

I guess you can still use it for grocery shopping and snow day commute, but not for road trip.

Although I can still do grocery shop on my ebike. With a kid in the bucket seat.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't mean to look down on those super mini EV ( is there a name of these type of vehicle yet?), but I think most people can do a <10mile commute very comfortably on an ebike. And ebike is easier to park.

Plus most of the ebikes are made in China anyway. Bascially any form of 1 to 3 wheel electric transportation vehicles are made in China.

Golf carts?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1544645182691368960?t=QWzc-57pvE8xkOGwd1sqJg&s=19

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

that’s just a Prius then

"China" actually doesn't do that. The FT article just made it up.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

thank you for this gift

Throatwarbler posted:

"China" actually doesn't do that. The FT article just made it up.

ok but BYD does mostly produce hybrids

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Were there any plans discussed for the subcontinent's partition outside of those discussed between the british and the ultras?

What would a more democratic version of this partition look like? Would it have even happened?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/sheryl0_0/status/1544580748849860609

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Were there any plans discussed for the subcontinent's partition outside of those discussed between the british and the ultras?

What would a more democratic version of this partition look like? Would it have even happened?

The initial plan was a federated country with separate electorates. It went tits up when the actual elections showed the INC winning up big. If you had asked someone if partition was going to be a thing after the 1937 election they would have laughed.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/danil_bochkov_/status/1544703829383548933

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Brits has the habit of pitting different ethnic groups going against each other in the colonies. They would have tried in HK if it has more racial diversity.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Hong Kong was just like a subcontinent sized colony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

The Brits has the habit of pitting different ethnic groups going against each other in the colonies. They would have tried in HK if it has more racial diversity.

One could say they are still doing it in terms of HK and Mainland.