Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Sopranos has a lot of them but uses them rather sparingly, which I think that's a good thing because when they happen, they're much more jarring and effective. A lot of them also sort of some out of loving nowhere so the shock is much more visceral.

His hair was in the toilet water. Disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

Sopranos has a lot of them but uses them rather sparingly, which I think that's a good thing because when they happen, they're much more jarring and effective. A lot of them also sort of some out of loving nowhere so the shock is much more visceral.

Yeah. Richie smashing the coffee pot over Beansie's face still lives rent free in my head. It's just so out of nowhere but doesn't feel gratuitous because it helps to establish that Richie is kind of psychotic.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFB8TvdkA_I

I love the recreation they do of this scene on Eagleheart.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Sopranos has maybe one or two moments per season that can still match other shows in terms of extreme graphic violence. I think the difference is just that Chase seemed to be including those scenes almost begrudgingly, whereas later stuff like Boardwalk Empire reveled in it and made it a primary selling point, so pretty much every episode part of the formula of the show is you're gonna see someone brutally stabbed to death or their brains blown out or whatever. Certainly Chase was aware of that contingent in the Sopranos fanbase and he did make concessions to it from time to time but overall he maintained a balance in the show that some of the later imitators didn't bother with.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mr Interweb posted:

1. there's a lot of weird editing/cuts throughout

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I feel like Sopranos is also a bit of a throwback in that, at least with the early seasons, directors were hired and then given a decent amount of freedom to do their own thing with the episodes they directed. So that's how you get the weird editing decisions. These days stuff like that is a lot more controlled.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've been watching the series for the first time (aside from scattered episodes I saw when my parents watched it as it was airing) and just finished Whitecaps yesterday.

Jesus Christ what a banger of an episode. Edie Falco's acting especially was just absolutely incredible. It's an episode I'd heard about as one of the greats and yeah, gently caress, I was not prepared. drat this show rules.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Another Bill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFB8TvdkA_I

I love the recreation they do of this scene on Eagleheart.

Eagleheart, especially the 2nd season, was an excellent show. Just wanted to say that because it just kinda came and went and is now 10 years old and no one remembers it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Mr Interweb posted:

so i just finished watching the series recently after several failed attempts. i have much more to say later when i can collect my thoughts but lemme just say two things:

1. there's a lot of weird editing/cuts throughout
2. is it just me, or does anyone else think that for an HBO series, the sopranos is relatively....tame by comparison, in terms of violence/shock value? i've seen a bunch of HBO shows and nothing in the sopranos remotely comes close to the worst poo poo i've seen in something like Oz, Rome or Game of Thrones.

the sopranos is pretty above the need to throw in a cheap shock. there are plenty of moments of heavy violence sprinkled in, if that's what you need, but it's the archetypal 'hbo show' and people took the fact that they can do anything as the reason it's good. it's good because the character writing is very strong over 6 seasons, not because tony occasionally goes nuts.

but yeah you have a point about some weird cuts at certain points.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Harrow posted:

I've been watching the series for the first time (aside from scattered episodes I saw when my parents watched it as it was airing) and just finished Whitecaps yesterday.

Jesus Christ what a banger of an episode. Edie Falco's acting especially was just absolutely incredible. It's an episode I'd heard about as one of the greats and yeah, gently caress, I was not prepared. drat this show rules.

Yeah, I think Whitecaps is my absolutely top Sopranos episode of all time. Gandolfini's performance is superb but is quite understandably overlooked because Edie Falco is absolutely loving phenomenal.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Did Junior ever get with the bunion chick? Do we ever see her again after those 2 eps in season 2?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

BiggerBoat posted:

you probably don't even hear it when it happens, right?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

banned from Starbucks posted:

Did Junior ever get with the bunion chick? Do we ever see her again after those 2 eps in season 2?

She’s mentioned to have passed away, I think it’s when Bobby is calling around looking for Junior in season five.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I made this for the "The Boys" thread but:

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

GolfHole posted:

Someone brings up uncle Jun's love life and the conversation immediately turns to fish

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 6, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
"She had bunions. You know how I feel about feet."

I was always curious about this. Does Junior LIKE feet and hers were ugly or they were really ugly and he's already grossed out about normal looking feet on top of that?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

GolfHole posted:

this is probably the funniest and most evergreen moment in the history of anything

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think he was grossed out because he describes the wine Furio brought back as "reminding me of people's feet" when turning it down.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I never thought of this before but early in the series, when Uncle Junior was still mostly on top of things as boss and enjoying life, he had his beautiful younger girlfriend Bobbie who loved him. After he dumped her so callously and he began to decline, he ended up with a new Bobby to take care of him and love him, but this time it was… Bobby. I wonder if those two characters having the same name was intentional.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/James_Caan/status/1545090774517174272

May not have been Italian, but a heck of an actor. Shame.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's come to my attention that some people on these forums have not seen theif, if you're this person remedy this

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Gaius Marius posted:

It's come to my attention that some people on these forums have not seen theif, if you're this person remedy this

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gaius Marius posted:

's a good movie

You get to see Jim Belushi take a shotgun blast to the chest

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wait was he in the sopranos

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TheSitdown7/status/1545535653290582018

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
A fuckin’ kid

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

oof, madon'

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1545546086512721921

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I said "how long did it take the guy to cum?"

Fuckin RIP

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Life's too short, Chrissy. You can't waste it fighting with your friends. Look what could've happened last night. One of us could've got hurt, or even killed, for chrissake.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hopefully he's rolling with those fuckin queer ghosts now.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
dude lived a crazy life and almost made it to 80. did pretty good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

He should've had immunity to this poo poo. He should've been covered by his donations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdP7f4_YL8I

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

T, if you give this guy a golf club he'll probably try to gently caress it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
god bless

https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1545547659095805952?s=20&t=c59_AqZh8LIudPduKI5JuA

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope he has a good 6000 years in purgatory

RIP :smith:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/kashanacauley/status/1545548866526646272

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO9KxApySmc

Feels fitting for todays events.