Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think the "we" in that story might be her insta followers lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
AITA for not wanting to bring an adult on our family vacation?

quote:

I (35F) and my husband (36M) got married five years ago when his oldest son (who he had in highschool) was 14. He also had a son with his ex-wife who was four. My twins were eight at the time. My husband's oldest avoided me a lot, and I gave him his space. He moved out last year to go to school but ended up dropping out and is currently living with some friends and doing odd jobs.

We currently have a four year old together as well as his nine year old and my thirteen year olds. We are currently planning a family vacation. My husband wants to bring his 19 yo on the vacation. I told him I don't for the following reasons.

1. He is an adult and won't want to spend a week hanging out with little kids.
2. He is not making good financial decisions and we shouldn't encourage that by taking him on a vacation he otherwise wouldn't be able to afford.
3. He should be using that time to look for a job.
4. He currently lives in another state and the drive time to pick him up and drop him off will significantly cut into our vacation time.

My husband wants to bring his son because "it isn't a family vacation without the whole family." I said every kid eventually grows up and leaves the nest. He should accept this and give his son space to grow, otherwise he'll never mature and get out of this rut. My husband is mad and being very standoffish now. AITA?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah I don't think people read the story because this woman stinks of being a shallow keep up with the Joneses mean girl

Everyone just got caught up in Ohio bashing, which to be fair, it's Ohio, but there's a ton of other poo poo going on here and it's all hilarious.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Nothing stopping the boyfriend from joining OP in Denver. Except he wants to be in Ohio.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
https://twitter.com/wapplehouse/status/1544647308519919616

OP's missing out

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
didn't think there was much that could make me hate Ohio more but there you go throwing.... that out there

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

This has to be a joke. But then these are the people who put canned chili over spaghetti

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Dazerbeams posted:

Nothing stopping the boyfriend from joining OP in Denver. Except he wants to be in Ohio.

There may be in fact many things stopping him, including her not sharing details of the trip until right before she goes on it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Why would you post this. What have I ever done to you

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Mountains are mountains but there's nothing quite like Ohio.

God made Ohio, then looked upon His work and said "Sorry! I'm Sorry! I'm trying to delete it."

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

These are treats for my dog

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Ohio's got enough actual weird stuff to laugh at, they don't need fake stuff.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for not caring where a guy studied?

quote:

A week ago I (38F) matched with a guy (43?M) on a dating app and decided to meet for coffee. Almost immediately, he asked me where I studied. I was surprised for many reasons although at this point of the story, not a big deal but here's why:

One, where I come from noone ever asks that unless they're still studying. Education essentially stops being in people's radars after they leave school. Even before, school is just where you study, there isn't a culture of school clubs, school sports, school spirit or anything like that. Two, I'm in my late thirties and this guy is in his early 40s. I feel so removed from the whole school experience it feels like a different life. Three, I'm not sure why he would want to know that at all, but that's more of a me thing.

Anyways, I answered and told him where and in what, and he had so many follow up questions, like how did i like the school, what was my favourite subject, did I like my teachers, etc. I had to dodge most of those because I simply don't remember. I just let him ask all his questions and when a natural silence occurred I asked about a pin he was wearing related to a hobby I saw on his profile.

We talked about that for a bit but suddenly he said 'so you're not asking where I studied'. I said 'mmh no I'm not'. He became visibly upset and asked 'why?' So I said 'ok, where did you study'. He did 15 min on the topic as I politely listened and nodded and smiled. I then said something like 'that's great, sounds like you really liked going there' and then asked him what he does for a job thinking that's a great adjacent topic. Well I was wrong because he had a fit. He told me that I'm clearly not interested in his education. I said indeed I'm not, but I dont mind hearing about it if he wants to say more. He said I should be asking questions. I said I have no questions about that. He demanded to know why. I told him maybe this truly defines a person where he comes from, but that is not the case here, where we both live. So if he wants to talk about it some more that's on him to decide what is relevant to say.

At this point, he started to give me examples of questions I could ask (that's also when I decided I was done with him). I must have made a face when be suggested I ask if he got on with his teachers because he asked what was wrong with that and I blurted "i am not your mummy, I don't care if your teachers were nice". He lost his entire poo poo while I gathered my stuff and left.

I'm honestly not sure what happened and I don't particularly feel like an rear end in a top hat but on the other hand a grown rear end man lost his poo poo over it, so... am I?

OP posted:

Yale

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain Hygiene posted:

quote:

"i am not your mummy, I don't care if your teachers were nice"

:owned:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Alright I need you to quiz me on how College was the best years of my life, don't worry I've prepared notes for you.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6_thZhdrsk&t=17s

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for throwing away the food my wife put in my freezer and then putting a padlock on it?

quote:

I (39m) have been married to my wife (32f) for four years. We usually get along just fine.

One of the issues that we've had since our relationship began has been about our freezer. Simply put, my wife stuffs the freezer full of food constantly. There is absolutely zero space for me to put anything in there.

At first, I tried to solve this by buying the fridge with the biggest freezer we could find. I dropped nearly $4 grand on it. She interpreted this as an invitation to buy more frozen food so she could play microwave dinner Tetris with the freezer. Every single nook and cranny is stuffed full. She still buys frozen foods and somehow finds a way to fit them in.

The worst part is when I buy a frozen food or freeze something for meal prep, she asks me at least three to four times a day when I'm going to take it out of the freezer. She essentially nags me until I remove the food from the freezer so she can put something she won't be touching for six months in in its place.

Last weekend I finally snapped and bought an inexpensive single door deep freezer. I put it in the basement near the washer/dryer and put a couple of my own things in there--mostly some frozen veggies and a few burritos. I didn't really mention it to my wife because she wasn't home when I brought it in.

When my wife got home later in the day, she went downstairs to do laundry and discovered my freezer. She excitedly ran upstairs to tell me that the upstairs one is full and she can actually fit more food in there now. I responded that under no circumstances is she to touch the freezer because it's mine. Not a single ice cube should be put in there. Then I told her to not even ask (because I knew she'd mention 3-4 times a day that she needs more freezer room). She sulked and tried to debate the issue, but I was able to placate her.

A couple of days later I went down to the basement to get something from my freezer, and there I found it about 70% full of microwave dinners. Upon checking the freezer in the kitchen, I found that it too was still completely fully. I calmly went downstairs with a large garbage bag, threw everything into it, and then tossed it into our trash bin. Then I found a padlock I had lying around and locked it with a chain.

Later that day my wife brought more frozen food to put into the new freezer, but when she got downstairs she noticed the lock and flipped her lid. She told me I was being controlling. When I told her that there's no way she will ever use that freezer again, she threw something like a tantrum and left for her mom's house. She came back later that day and told me that I had 24 hours to unlock the freezer.

Nothing really happened after those 24 hours, but now she's completely ignoring everything I say. I think my actions were justifiable, but was I wrong here?
Give me your Freezer.

AITA for uninviting my gay brother and his boyfriend to my wedding?

quote:

I (36M) am getting married to my wife (34F) every thing was going great and we were giving out invitations. When I gave one to my brother (Sam) he asked if he could bring his (22M) boyfriend to the wedding I was immediately super fond of the idea as jack (his BF) and I are both very fairly close. About a week after Sam sent a picture of what he was going to be wearing to the wedding in the wedding group chat, it was a rainbow tuxedo. Initially I thought he was joking so I said “lmao” he was very hurt and told me to go gently caress myself. He has always been quite feminine in his clothing choices which I am completely ok with but me and my soon to be wife both thought that what he wanted to wear was inappropriate and would take the attention away from my wife and me. So I told him that him and his boyfriend were both uninvited from our wedding. He told me that the only reason that I didn’t want him there was because I was homophobic. I am very much not homophobic, i go to pride marches and have never had any problem with him being gay. Most of our family agrees with my desision. But some are refusing to come to the wedding now. So AITA?

EDIT: some things I forgot to include in the original post are: yes I did explain to him why this made us uncomfortable but he kept pulling the “well ur just being homophobic” card on my and me soon to be wife. Also on the invitation was a dress code saying black and white only.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 6, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kurieg posted:

AITA for throwing away the food my wife put in my freezer and then putting a padlock on it?

Give me your Freezer.

There was probably a step or two he could have taken before this. There's clearly something going on when your wife is filling up the freezer like she's worried they're gonna stop putting out TV dinners.

quote:

Should have just invited Jack.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Uncle Enzo posted:

This has to be a joke. But then these are the people who put canned chili over spaghetti
Incorrect answer! Cincinnati chili is not, in fact, chili. It is this weird cinnamon-spiced meat sauce.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Incorrect answer! Cincinnati chili is not, in fact, chili. It is this weird cinnamon-spiced meat sauce.

Yeah its a meaty marinara with an effervescent hint of chili powder

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DandyLion posted:

It's a big marinara flag if somebody says they like it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
If you idiots don't like a 14 way chili that is on you!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm intrigued by the heaps of cheese

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Kurieg posted:

I (36M) am getting married to my wife (34F) [...]

Is it polygamy if you marry the same person twice?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kurieg posted:

This second one irritated me because of course in the comments the OP says something like, "oh yeah, it was a black tie wedding", like it wasn't an important detail to mention before.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Solkanar512 posted:

This second one irritated me because of course in the comments the OP says something like, "oh yeah, it was a black tie wedding", like it wasn't an important detail to mention before.

I'm going to be honest, I give the side eye to anyone who says "X pulled the Y card".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm going to be honest, I give the side eye to anyone who says "X pulled the Y card".

The other weird thing that jumped out was starting out being asked about the boyfriend coming, and acting like that was a completely novel idea rather than the first thing anyone would be thinking about for the immediate family's guest list.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Give me your Freezer.

And I thought our freezer problems were weird. It's just full of reindeer hearts instead of tv dinner though

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Give me your Freezer.

These people clearly just don't like each other. Someone needs to remind them there's nothing forcing them to be married to each other.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
AITA for wearing my (16F) deceased mother’s dresses when my dad (40M) told me not to

quote:

4 years ago, my mother passed away at 37 years old from an accident. I was 12 at the time and I’m now 16. My brothers are 18 and 13 now. My dad is now 40. Before my mother died, she had a huge collection of dresses. She’s always adored dresses, especially satin ones. My dad would show my siblings and I pictures of them from their junior and senior proms and she was always in fantastic dresses. In photos where she’s with her friends, her dress always stood out. So I started to want to wear her dresses, especially for cosplay. I asked my dad if I could and he gave a few to try. They were her night out dresses when she went out with her girl friends but it wasn’t what I wanted. So I asked him if I could have her dress from their Sadie Hawkins dance junior year for a Jessica Rabbit cosplay. My dad said no because that was their first school dance together as a couple.

I kept asking and my older brother even told me to stop asking and “just find something else” with the dresses my dad let me try out. But I really wanted to do the Jessica Rabbit cosplay. My dad offered to buy me a dress that was kinda similar but my mom’s dressed look exactly like it.

Eventually I just snuck into the closet of her dresses at night and used it to do the cosplay. I’m a bit on the heavier side and my mom’s best friend (41F) always describes that my mom’s body was “always like a coca cola bottle.” So the dress was a bit tight and there were two small tears. I took some pictures and my younger brother walked in and saw me. He just kinda stared at me for a bit before he walked off. Not long later, my dad came in and asked what I was doing. I told him I just wanted to try the dress. My dad started crying and it woke up my older brother and he came in. But when he came in, my dad told my brothers that they and him are gonna leave so I can change out of the dress.

So I did and came out my room and gave the dress back to my dad who was still crying. My older brother offered to take it back to the closet and my dad let him. Thats when my older brother noticed the tears. And he lost his mind. He just screamed “YOU hosed IT UP” my dad asked what he meant and my brother showed him, my dad was silent and walked off with the dress. My older brother told my other brother to go back to bed.

My older brother proceed to call me selfish and disrespectful. I told him that its not like I wore her wedding dress but that caused my brother to yell at me more. He then grabbed the dresses my dad originally allowed me to try on and walked out with them.

My dad is avoiding talking about it. My brothers are both angry at me. And my mom’s best friend is going to try to sew the tears back together. My friends are even saying I’m an AH. I’m starting to feel really bad now but I just really wanted to try it on. AITA?

EDIT: my younger brother has now called my grandpa (mom’s dad. Her mother isn’t in the picture because she was a deadbeat) and my younger brother said my grandpa is really sad now too but told my younger brother to take it easy on me

EDIT 2: my aunt (dad’s sister, my mom has no siblings) has now told me that the dress my mom wore to senior prom (which was a long sparkly satin silver dress) was gonna be handed to be for my senior prom if I wanted to have it. But now might not since I messed up the Sadie Hawkins dress and had used a lot of her old perfumes and makeup in the past. My dad didn’t care about the perfume thing at all and he ordered me my own bottle, but the makeup got to him a little bit. This may have been the last straw

EDIT 3: not all of my mom’s belongings are with my dad. He set up her vanity in my room and gave me most of her purses and jewelry. My mom has always been the fashionable primadonna (if thats the right word) type

EDIT 4: don’t call my dad creepy AND don’t sexualize my mother.

EDIT 5: some people are asking in dms and comments. My mom and dad started dating their junior year, she was 17 and he was 16. But my dad had a huge crush on her since they were freshmen, him being 14 and her being 15. They got married at ages 18 and 19

EDIT 6: my mom always wanted to keep most dresses to herself and would make comments about how if she were to pass, she’d want my dad to keep her dress. Her usual saying was “I don’t want my ghostie naked! I have 3 babies” so my dad keeping the dresses is what her wishes were.

EDIT 7: we’re a mexican family, idk if it makes any difference to my dad keeping her dresses, pictures and some other possessions but nobody in family thinks its creepy. My mom’s best friend also has a “shrine” as some of u are calling, she’s japanese. All three came from a ghetto city, so if anything of their past seems really off, it was normal to them back then

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Xun posted:

And I thought our freezer problems were weird. It's just full of reindeer hearts instead of tv dinner though

Can't tell if joking, or Finnish

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They introduced a skyline coney dog with jalapeno cheese and <flips out the lights and puts the flashlight up to my face as Im talking> the Ohio is coming from inside the thread

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

dog nougat posted:

AITA for wearing my (16F) deceased mother’s dresses when my dad (40M) told me not to

Why the hell do we need 7 different clarifications from this person? YTA! Own up to it, and grow up! (look at age) It's not too late, possibly!

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why the hell do we need 7 different clarifications from this person? YTA! Own up to it, and grow up! (look at age) It's not too late, possibly!

Yup. She'll hopefully eventually learn "but I really wanted to" isn't actually an excuse for doing something someone repeatedly asked you not to do.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Kenshin posted:

Can't tell if joking, or Finnish

As an American and Finnish couple there is cold war between bringing home more ice cream and bringing home more reindeer parts

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dog nougat posted:

Ahhh, the 'ol I was told not to do this/I know this was wrong "but I really wanted to" defense.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

aw man everyone would have loved fat dopey Jessica rabbit cosplay

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
AITA for refusing to tattoo an extremely over weight woman?

quote:

So I am a tattoo artist and today a very large woman came in to get a geometric/jewelry ish tattoo on her stomach/underboob area, we had discussed this tattoo over messenges but she had not mentioned her weight... now weight normally isnt a huge concern but this woman was huge, her entire torso was just a series of folds especially around her ribs and the middle of her stomach where the tattoo would be placed, not only that but under her various folds there had definitely not been cleaned in a while (the smell was something else)

I had already drawn up the tattoo but upon looking at her torso I decided it simply wouldn't be possible, the tattoo would either have to go into her (dirty smelly) folds or skip over those areas, which means if she lost weight that there would be huge gaps in the tattoo. So I simply told her that I could not do the tattoo, she asked why and I tried to explain to her as kindly as possible that because of her folds on her Stomach that I would not be able to do a nice tattoo in that style but that we could go for a different placement or do something more organic for that area...

This is where she completely snapped at me screaming into my face that I was fat phobic and just didn't wanna do it because I found her gross, and that a "anorexic skinny hoe" like me just didnt get her .....

I care a lot about making my clients feel comfy but obviously I don't wanna do poo poo tattoos, I obviously triggered something in her and I feel really bad about it, I asked some of the more experienced artist what they'd do and they agreed I made the right call.

Now this is where I think I might be the rear end in a top hat, her whole tantrum made me really not want to work with her so when she finally said that she'd do another design on her stomach I refused, I told her that her behaviour made me very uncomfortable and in my temperamental state that she should btw go wash her folds before coming into a tattoo studio where cleanliness is top priority..
Soo am I the rear end in a top hat?

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Hell yeah I can make the perfect John Rambo cosplay let me just dig up my father's grave real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DandyLion posted:

I did actually make a basic marinara last year where I accidentally used cinnamon instead of chili powder, and I didn't understand until my second portion of pasta why the taste was slightly off.