Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Huh, I'm at 1440p widescreen with a 3090 and I can't get consistently above 60 in Limsa with everything maxed. Those shadow resolutions and softenings are brutal. Wonder what I'm doing wrong...

Are you only trying main city plazas? The FPS gets capped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Heran Bago posted:

Are you only trying main city plazas? The FPS gets capped.

Wait, it does!? Does that mean that technically I'm capping FPS at Limsa, even if not at my refresh rate? Obviously it didn't lag, if it lagged with a 3080 either there's something real wrong with my card or I'm playing 1.0.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Axel Serenity posted:

Looks like DC travel is slowly coming back up. I'm sure it will go down again when it gets busy again tomorrow. Going to Excal was pretty fast. Took about a minute or so. But going back to Balmung took 17 lol
Adamantoise to Excalibur took me 23 minutes precisely. Haven't gone back yet to compare, but Turtle is (and always has been) pretty moderately populated so maybe it'll be faster.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Wait, it does!? Does that mean that technically I'm capping FPS at Limsa, even if not at my refresh rate? Obviously it didn't lag, if it lagged with a 3080 either there's something real wrong with my card or I'm playing 1.0.

In my experience, yes and yes. Watch the in-game FPS counter in the corner of the (display?) settings window.

Vitamean posted:

I always think it's interesting how people make money in this game outside the typical questing/marketboard systems implemented by the devs. People who are really good at gposing, running roleplay venues and cafes, house decorating, and yeah even up to ERPing and run selling. People have found flexible ways to make and use gil in a way that you don't have to necessarily be patient with crafting or lucky with map drops to earn towards whatever your goal is.

Agreed, it's super interesting what people come up with in this game. How do the people running RP restaurants or house decorating make anything off it? Visited a few restaurants to see what people do with housing, and they didn't take gil.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 6, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Heran Bago posted:

In my experience, yes and yes. Watch the in-game FPS counter in the corner of the (display?) settings window.

Oh yeah, I saw in Limsa it dropped to an steady 80 FPS, but good to know I can cap even cities. Although I'm gonna recheck some settings since Aglaia dropped to 120 FPS for some moments and that's unacceptable now /s

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Heran Bago posted:

Agreed, it's super interesting what people come up with in this game. How do the people running RP restaurants or house decorating make anything off it? Visited a few restaurants to see what people do with housing, and they didn't take gil.

I run an RP venue (a pharmacy/bookshop hybrid, basically 'one-stop shop for when your character needs someone smart to move the plot forward'), and while I've never demanded any money and take pains to make sure people know they don't have to pay for anything, some people do just to show thanks for good RP or a good venue, basically a tip jar. I'm doing all this for fun, I don't care about money.

I wouldn't say I'm making a lot of gil off it, but I'm definitely in the market for a Medium or Large plot in part because of those tips.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Most RP venues will not ask for gil, they just provide a space for people to have fun with RP. Sometimes cafes and such will ask for a payment for drinks/food, but that tends to be a few hundred to a few thousand gil at most. Usually a gil transfer wil be mentioned in the RP without any actual gil changing hands.

As mentioned tips are the main ways these venues get gil. Though there are places where you can hire someone to sit and chat with you, or provide a service like a tea ceremony or something. Those do tend to ask for gil so they can pay their staff.

ERP venues are a bit different, there can be costs for the private room and costs for the time of whoever you've hired. Though even here there are places where they just let the customer decide what they want to pay (if they want to pay at all). It's all very dependent on the person running the place.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Big venues also run auctions where you can hire people to decorate your house/craft for you/rp with you/erp with you/whatever service someone can come up with to sell and those cost gil that the house takes a cut of (the rest goes to the person selling the service).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I feel like squeenix wouldn't come down hard(er?) on modding tools because of this

but it sure as hell would be funny as gently caress if they did because of this

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Ibblebibble posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Grats!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zeruel posted:

I feel like squeenix wouldn't come down hard(er?) on modding tools because of this

Personally I think modders have little to fear but I understand why there is anxiety about it. Those communities thrive by basically being an underground scene and know that if they get overexposed their hobby could be jeopardized.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/liffeh02/status/1544592565638311936?t=pffJUReoEbzv6E74ZgCUGg&s=19

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Zeruel posted:

Squeenix's issue with the nightclub people likely isn't "they use 3rd party mods" as much as it is "they provide and advertise phone sex services in our video game". There are marketing departments trying to shape the public perception of FF14, and the Rain Nightclub is far away from what they want that perception to be. From their perspective this is someone using the Squeenix & FF names and logos to anti-advertise their game.

Heavier moderation on people advertising ERP services is a more likely consequence, if Squeenix do take some action beyond getting the billboards removed.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've learned two things this morning:

1. I missed a hell of a lot of FFXIV drama while being deep in Foxhole for the past week.
2. I need to watch The Blues Brothers.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Warmachine posted:

I've learned two things this morning:

1. I missed a hell of a lot of FFXIV drama while being deep in Foxhole for the past week.
2. I need to watch The Blues Brothers.

It's blues brothers 2000, and you don't need to watch it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cactrot posted:

It's blues brothers 2000, and you don't need to watch it.

the soundtrack is real good though

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also the first Blues Brothers has basically the same scene but better

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Mhm, I just let GeForce Experience sort out my settings, then disabled low poly LOD (I want less pop in!) and that's that. Probably it's the character number? Since it was night Limsa wasn't as crowded as usual and that does affect a lot of FPS.

In any case having everything at Max is probably not the best idea anyways, gotta have to check some guides on which settings are okay to drop a bit.

Oh, I don't think GeForce Experience necessarily maxes out all the settings. I'll give it a shot, though, if it looks good!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, I don't think GeForce Experience necessarily maxes out all the settings. I'll give it a shot, though, if it looks good!

Nah, it doesn't, it adjusts based on presets: it turns on Low poly LOD even on my 3080 since it's a free boost (despite inducing popin which I find annoying). But it's a quick way to set up your settings based on your card. I still gotta check some settings to make sure stuff like Aglaia doesn't strain too much, once the hail and thunder stops...

Edit: Hang on, forgot about a possible CPU bottleneck since that can also affect performance. I have a i7-12700kf so no problems there, but if yours is weaker it would make sense for a place with lots of models to run worse.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 6, 2022

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Xerophyte posted:

Squeenix's issue with the nightclub people likely isn't "they use 3rd party mods" as much as it is "they provide and advertise phone sex services in our video game". There are marketing departments trying to shape the public perception of FF14, and the Rain Nightclub is far away from what they want that perception to be. From their perspective this is someone using the Squeenix & FF names and logos to anti-advertise their game.

Heavier moderation on people advertising ERP services is a more likely consequence, if Squeenix do take some action beyond getting the billboards removed.

They're 100% fine with ERP in private spaces, as long as everyone's consenting. Directly from their Prohibited Activities:

quote:

Example 2
In the case of role-playing involving mildly sexual expressions (such as erotic role-playing) with a consenting group of two or more players, if it is conducted in a private area, it will not be considered a violation unless a report is made.

However, if you encourage or invite a player to participate in such role-play without being certain of their consent, there is a high possibility that you will be reported and penalized. Please be very careful.

Now, the chance of getting a report if they openly ERP during the event is pretty high since there's no heads up given ahead of time if someone's only aware if the billboard, which would normally make me think they'd be keeping it private only during the duration of the event. With what's shown up, though, I'm less certain they're planning that carefully now. :v:

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Heran Bago posted:

Basically, the entire playerbase has worse money management skills than Estinien

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arist posted:

I was assuming 1980, though the more "modern" police cruisers definitely struck me as post-1980. Was still earmarking 1980 for a watch though.

Fivemarks posted:

Basically, the entire playerbase has worse money management skills than Estinien

Estinien may have a greater velocity of bad-with-money, but I'm pretty sure Alphinaud still holds the title for most expensive single purchase loss.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Warmachine posted:

Estinien may have a greater velocity of bad-with-money, but I'm pretty sure Alphinaud still holds the title for most expensive single purchase loss.

Was his education really that expensive?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Warmachine posted:

And yet, having finished Endwalker and the latest Custom Delivery client, there is no doubt in my mind that Ameliance's response to finding out how much Alphinaud spent would have just been to laugh it off, praise him for the thoughtfulness of his action, maybe given him a mild admonishment to check the price first next time, and assure him that he won't get in trouble with Forchenault because she'll handle it.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 6, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

And yet, having finished Endwalker and the latest Custom Delivery client, there is no doubt in my mind that Ameliance's response to finding out how much Alphinaud spent would have just been to laugh it off, praise him for the thoughtfulness of his action, maybe given him a mild admonishment to check the price first next time, and assure him that he won't get in trouble with Forchenault because she'll handle it.

I mean, yeah, the Levelieurs are loving rolling in money, but the katana was purchased with Scion money. Yes, the Levelieur fortune was their financial backing, but I'm pretty sure (supposition) only Tataru knew that and she wasn't telling. We learn that Ameliance was the one funneling the fortune to them long after the incident. The comedy is exactly that though: Alphinaud comes from a family where money is no object and he's never really had the cause to consider the price of things.

Just because you have money doesn't mean you can't be Bad With Money.

And I think that's hil-arious.

fake edit: The opening of the custom deliveries was the best though:

Student: "Wow! This school is so cool! I can't wait to learn here!"
Ameliance: "This is my house and your dorm."
Student: Lethal levels of embarrassment and awe.
WoL: "Yeah I had the same reaction."

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 6, 2022

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Zeruel posted:

From what I understand, they really can’t tell who is running mods unless people are flagrantly advertising that they are so even if they wanted to crackdown, they really couldn’t

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Warmachine posted:

I mean, yeah, the Levelieurs are loving rolling in money, but the katana was purchased with Scion money. Yes, the Levelieur fortune was their financial backing, but I'm pretty sure (supposition) only Tataru knew that and she wasn't telling. We learn that Ameliance was the one funneling the fortune to them long after the incident. The comedy is exactly that though: Alphinaud comes from a family where money is no object and he's never really had the cause to consider the price of things.

It's a katana, how much can it cost, ten dollars?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Huh, I'm at 1440p widescreen with a 3090 and I can't get consistently above 60 in Limsa with everything maxed. Those shadow resolutions and softenings are brutal. Wonder what I'm doing wrong...

Limsa is extremely CPU bound (well, okay, technically speaking any super crowded area will be but we can probably just make this a baseline assumption for Limsa) so your 3090 is getting held back. In less densely crowded areas it should blaze into whatever cap you set

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Arist posted:

Also also, they’re directed by John Landis, the guy who did Animal House, the Thriller music video, and got an actor and two children killed during filming for the Twilight Zone movie and then never saw a day in prison for it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

RME posted:

Limsa is extremely CPU bound (well, okay, technically speaking any super crowded area will be but we can probably just make this a baseline assumption for Limsa) so your 3090 is getting held back. In less densely crowded areas it should blaze into whatever cap you set

yeah my game runs at ~165 hz cap pretty much 100% of the time, but teleporting to limsa crystal generally halves that, and often drops to as low as 40 on big patchdays

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Warmachine posted:

To be fair Alisae set us up by telling us it's "just a house" before we even saw that poo poo

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

RME posted:

Truga posted:

yeah my game runs at ~165 hz cap pretty much 100% of the time, but teleporting to limsa crystal generally halves that, and often drops to as low as 40 on big patchdays

Huh, so that's why my FPS dropped to 120~ on Aglaia no matter the settings.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

To be fair Alisae set us up by telling us it's "just a house" before we even saw that poo poo

between them, Alphinaud (how much could a katana cost, tataru) and Alisaie (very obviously and ineffectively pretending to not be insanely rich because she's embarrassed) fairly accurately reflect the behavior of most of the rich kids I met in college and grad school

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arist posted:

I never pinged it was 2000 (because I only saw that movie once) and was wondering why the crash was going the wrong direction but the highway sign wasn't mirrored. That explains it.

Yeah, watch Blues Brothers if you like good music and their style of humor. There's some great behind the scenes stories that pretty much all sum up as "I can't believe we got permission to do this." It's a love letter to music and Chicago.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
oh man, we got some ancient memes at billboard house now. A couple people named "Pool's closed" with appropriate attire

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RME posted:

I’ve got a 3950X, but I’ll keep an eye on CPU utilization, thanks. Maybe it’s time for an upgrade…

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Do not judge your system by its performance at Limsa's aetheryte. For your own good look at the ground and run away as fast as you can. Read nothing you see in your chat window.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

sassassin posted:

Do not judge your system by its performance at Limsa's aetheryte. For your own good look at the ground and run away as fast as you can. Read nothing you see in your chat window.

You should instead judge it by doing a 24 SMN run of a raid and see how many FPS per Bahamut you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve got a 3950X

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe it’s time for an upgrade…

lol what? No. You're dealing with something fairly unique to the MMO space, with a processor that may as well be a two-year old Lamborghini. It's your money/I don't pay for your components but upgrading to a 5xxx because you're CPU bound in Limsa is :psyduck:

Or are you Alphinaud's alt account?