Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Might not be terrible if they're all top 5 protected but Debrincat isn't that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

https://mobile.twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1544714704995504128
:tif:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So are they going to have to carry his cap hit the next 8 years while he's in Siberia? I'd like to get my Kaprizov Coyotes jersey ahead of the rush if so.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The NHL is a funny league where an RFA like Pavel Buchnevich can basically be cap-dumped in a trade but a guy two years older about to make way more in UFA like Miller apparently has a trade value of “single-handedly rebuild a team”

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I feel like somehow he's getting underrated but it is an objective fact that Miller had 99pts last year and was 9th in the league in scoring while also being a first unit penalty killer. He also shifted to centre permanently this year and was the matchup guy. He's not a one dimensional winger with a limited nhl track record.

He's a genuinely fantastic player and as I've said all along I'm not bullish about trading him. If it came down to keeping him or Horvat, I retain Miller every time and never look back.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Koopa Kid posted:

The NHL is a funny league where an RFA like Pavel Buchnevich can basically be cap-dumped in a trade but a guy two years older about to make way more in UFA like Miller apparently has a trade value of “single-handedly rebuild a team”

Well one is an evil Russian and the other one is from Ohio and takes faceoffs

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

One also had more points than Panarin last year and has another year to go at 2nd line forward dollars. I don't see why that valuation is so crazy.

Also something seriously weird is happening is St. Louis. Ivan Barbashev had 60pts last year. ROR was 7th in team scoring. Brandon Saad plays there. Something dark and mysterious is going on there.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 6, 2022

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

That Siberian outpost is going to be able to field a hell of a hockey team the way things are going.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’m not trying to call Miller bad, he’s very good and likely a better player than Buch flat out*, just pointing out the insanely wide gap in values in player evaluation. Like, seems a GM could do well over time just avoiding marquee guys and paying peanuts for the next tier down.

*although I feel like a running theme this off-season is guys having the best seasons of their career late in life that just so happens to coincide with an abnormal rise in league wide scoring. There’s gonna be a lot of buying high and I don’t know how many people are gonna end up looking smart at the end of it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

I’m not trying to call Miller bad, he’s very good and likely a better player than Buch flat out*, just pointing out the insanely wide gap in values in player evaluation.

*although I feel like a running theme this off-season is guys having the best seasons of their career late in life that just so happens to coincide with an abnormal rise in league wide scoring. There’s gonna be a lot of buying high and I don’t know how many people are gonna end up looking smart at the end of it.

The scoring was insane. I'll look up some random dude and he'll have scored 85 points.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

No doubt and teams would be very wise to cash in. I'm not sold this is the norm so much as a weird year where teams had 18 months where they didn't see most other teams in the league.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

ThinkTank posted:

Also something seriously weird is happening is St. Louis. Ivan Barbashev had 60pts last year. ROR was 7th in team scoring. Brandon Saad plays there. Something dark and mysterious is going on there.

I've been trying to make sense of Craig Berube and The St. Louis Blues outcomes vs their expectations and :shrug: idk madness.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Miller is still 12th in the NHL in scoring over the past 3 seasons combined.

I hope Washington targets him in a trade but MacLellan gave a somewhat disappointing press conference this morning saying that Backstrom might return this season so they can’t use his cap space. Looks like another first round exit at best for Washington if this is their approach to the offseason.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

Miller (along with Demko) has carried the Canucks the last couple of years. Along with his production, he's been one of the few who would try *every* night and he very much made the Canucks a much better team than they had any right to be.
The on-ice product is going to suffer a lot without him and I was hoping they would trade Horvat instead of him, but that doesn't seem likely now.

I know it's the right choice, but it'll be a lot more boring to watch the Canucks for the next few years when he goes.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/AZadarski/status/1544719397566271490

isles fans: "this is FINALLY the year that sorokin gets to come over!"
monkey's paw: *moves to curl but is hit by shrapnel from the nearby bombing of a school*

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Goddammit find Panarin, Shesty, and Kravtsov STAT.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Koopa Kid posted:

I’m not trying to call Miller bad, he’s very good and likely a better player than Buch flat out*, just pointing out the insanely wide gap in values in player evaluation. Like, seems a GM could do well over time just avoiding marquee guys and paying peanuts for the next tier down.

Does anybody have theories on why scoring was up so much last year?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

One also had more points than Panarin last year and has another year to go at 2nd line forward dollars. I don't see why that valuation is so crazy.

RoR played half the year with both an injury and apparently Covid really hit him hard, he said it took 30+ games tk really feel normal after he got Covid.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

ThinkTank posted:

It's probably a reasonable risk for a young team on the rise like LA or New Jersey. Carolina or (barf) Colorado could probably fit him under the cap relatively easily too.

Unless Nico was going back in the deal, I don't know why the Devils would want to do that.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Huh... wonder why the Russians are all concerned about the draft lately... just patriotism I suppose.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/JoePantorno/status/1544425869116145673

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

miller is going to disappoint whoever signs him. he's the definition of locker room cancer and his effort -- particularly in his own end -- has always been questionable. i have no idea how his reputation was rehabbed to the point where people are talking about him being the key guy on a contender because he was criticized his entire tenure in vancouver for being a selfish, lazy player who clashed with his teammates

i guess it was overshadowed by the disasterous management problems in vancouver?

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
https://www.tsn.ca/fiala-deal-leaves-kings-vulnerable-to-dual-offer-sheet-strategy-1.1821277

Interesting article about offer sheets including a discussion that we've had on here before about targeting middle tier RFAs on cash strapped teams.

Read about how NHL GMs could be really savvy with a dual offer sheet strategy before crashing back to boring NHL reality.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Phew

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Misanthrope posted:

Huh... wonder why the Russians are all concerned about the draft lately... just patriotism I suppose.

The draft is tomorrow, everyone is excited!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does anybody have theories on why scoring was up so much last year?

Short answer is probably that goaltending was overall worse, particularly because of backups and third-stringers, and a lot of starters missed time so the worse-than-usual depth goaltending played a lot and skewed the numbers. That also tracks with how league sv% actually went down as the season wore on too (which is the opposite of how it usually tracks), starters were mostly healthy the first two months of the season and then dropped off.

FWIW expected goal rates didn't increase much above average at either ES or PP, teams weren't piling on more shots or scoring chances than usual. Goalies just didn't make saves.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

it also helps that the league added an extra team and opened up opportunities for the good offensive talent to rise up, while also allowing more opportunity for the league's lack of goalie depth to be exposed

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
there's no loving way I'd trade three firsts for DeBrincat as the Devils unless they were like all top 10 protected and even then good lord that's a lot of risk for a team that is one Jack Hughes shoulder injury away from another rebuild

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

it also helps that the league added an extra team and opened up opportunities for the good offensive talent to rise up, while also allowing more opportunity for the league's lack of goalie depth to be exposed

Yeah Seattle's almost inexplicably bad goaltending is significant for sure. It does feel like goaltending overall is in a tough spot, the high spots are still there in the talent pool but the depth of true starters and even good backups seems to be shrinking

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah Seattle's almost inexplicably bad goaltending is significant for sure. It does feel like goaltending overall is in a tough spot, the high spots are still there in the talent pool but the depth of true starters and even good backups seems to be shrinking

Mitch Korn can only coach one team at a time.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Apparently Bryan Marchment passed away in Montreal, presumably there for the draft as he was a scout:

https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1544743212702732288?s=20&t=GDeSOM3hJaB82po9Fi8oKQ

Condolences to Mason and the family

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

https://www.tsn.ca/fiala-deal-leaves-kings-vulnerable-to-dual-offer-sheet-strategy-1.1821277

Interesting article about offer sheets including a discussion that we've had on here before about targeting middle tier RFAs on cash strapped teams.

Read about how NHL GMs could be really savvy with a dual offer sheet strategy before crashing back to boring NHL reality.

It makes me so glum that you can read these long, carefully planned out manoeuvres that GMs could make to bring real entertainment to the sport off ice knowing full well it will never happen. The only offer sheets in the last decade were petty weiner waggling contests and had nothing to do with team improvement. It sure would be nice to see some fun stuff some time.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Koopa Kid posted:

Apparently Bryan Marchment passed away in Montreal, presumably there for the draft as he was a scout:

https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1544743212702732288?s=20&t=GDeSOM3hJaB82po9Fi8oKQ

Condolences to Mason and the family

one of a kind scum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTzb0fQOOfs&t=138s

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Uh oh

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Sorry for the double post but Debrusk rescinded his trade request from the Bruins. I guess Bruce was the problem after all. I am happy to have Jake around. Even if he's streaky the Bruins need a younger guy who can pot 20+ a year.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Blues really need to trade Barbashev, either for a draft pick or for a middle pairing defender because they can't afford to re-sign him and his value is never going to be higher than it currently is.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Dom posted a review of his pre season predictions and holy lol at these two:

https://theathletic.com/3390081/2022/07/05/2021-22-nhl-predictions-review/?source=user_shared_article

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Might not be terrible if they're all top 5 protected but Debrincat isn't that great.

3rd most goals from his draft class, behind Matthews and Laine. Probably close if not in the top 10 in goals scored in the whole league since his debut in 2017. And before the age of 24.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
mentholmoose and I thought it'd be fun to do another all timer draft

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4006477&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post524658415

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1544767935671144450?t=QDBbkalbsFfbgDdwF4Wadg&s=19

Man Hextall working for the Pens still sounds so wrong.