Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

What is Valkyrie Elysium? The JP box art makes it look interesting.

It's the newest game in the Valkyrie Profile franchise, although it's taking more of a Souls-esque third-person action RPG turn from the looks of the trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Forspoken/status/1544675140780392453?t=bPmkNSGaJYKvq-U1IWyW-A&s=19

This game is not coming out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That’s fine, I wanted to wait until I played the first threespokens anyway.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

there's just something about forspoken that makes me feel iffy, i dunno

it feels like control stylistically and gameplay-wise, but without any of the uniqueness of setting that made control truly compelling. maybe it's just my natural hatred of fantasy world isekais bleeding through

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Mobile gaming is such a cesspool.

I don't understand gambling laws. Is there a reason this isn't regulated? Or is it?

it's forever nuts to me that you can break the law on your phone with gambling but you're not allowed to buy illegal drugs and get em shipped

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I don't buy em, but I appreciate the existence of stupid, overpriced collectors edition as a way to "support the developers" in a way that does not entail any real extra work having to be done on the game.
The bad part is when all this useless garbage gets shipped back and forth across the globe, but at least since it goes to "collectors" I guess it won't immediately go to the landfill.

do you mean "support the developers" as in, somehow, developers actually get to see some of this money or do you mean it like "support the developers" in the normal way where actually you can never do that with a purchase?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I mean, you can buy illegal drugs and get them shipped, it's just that it's illegal.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
maybe you can but they won't let me, i tried

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I once cared about this game and very much wanted it and then I saw trailers and heard news and was like, oh ok then. And now I'm still kinda keen because the original was rad, but I also have almost zero faith that the sequel/prequel/whatever will capture any part of what I liked about the original, so it's good that there's gonna be more Little Big Adventure to get me that French adventurey whimsy I want.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Finished the prologue area, so now I'm guessing the freetoplay rot is about to set in, but we'll see I guess.

I'm a 'preferred' player (Spent, like, 80 bucks, and then used my cartel coins to unlock a few QOL things) rather than a subscriber and I've been gradually running a bunch of characters to level 50. (Years ago, I downloaded a trial version which allowed any species, so I made at least one character of each species, and now I'm trying to grind them all to level 50 to unlock all the species)

Currently working on a twi'lek smuggler, which has been a good time so far.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

it's forever nuts to me that you can break the law on your phone with gambling but you're not allowed to buy illegal drugs and get em shipped

mobile gambling laws mostly depend on the region. the US is, as you might guess, outrageously lax and basically doesn't give a poo poo, whereas some countries like the netherlands have extremely strict regulations to try and discourage predatory gambling schemes as much as possible

part of it is probably tied in to them creatively skirting existing regulations as well, sort of like how diablo immortal skirted around the definition of a "loot box" via their crest system to get past broad protections in certain jurisdictions like the EU (at least federally)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thought they already delayed it til next year.

It's okay SE has another 15 games out before then.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

there's just something about forspoken that makes me feel iffy, i dunno

it feels like control stylistically and gameplay-wise, but without any of the uniqueness of setting that made control truly compelling. maybe it's just my natural hatred of fantasy world isekais bleeding through

That game looks like someone looked at that initial Unreal Engine 5 demo of the lady parkouring and rushed to make a full game ripping it off, only with generic fantasy instead of desert to not make it super obvious.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I downloaded Swtor aka that star wars mmo for some reason. I have played it in the past, I even purchased the drat thing when it was released, but it's been ages since I gave it a shot. I know everyone gushes about the Agent storyline, and that is what I played last time but I had no idea what I was doing when I logged in so I created a new character. Went for the most basic character, a jedi person.

And it was a lot of fun , the story was good and there was almost no padding in terms of story and boring tasks, even the sidequests were relevant to the main story. Everything is voice acted, and it is mostly very good, but since there are so many characters, the actors just use their regular voices for the most part, so you hear a lot of Nolan North, Jennifer Hale and Tara Strong and every other early 2010s voice actor you can think of, talking to each other. It's weird to be enjoying a Star Wars product in the current year, even though that opening scrawl just makes me wince at this point.

Finished the prologue area, so now I'm guessing the freetoplay rot is about to set in, but we'll see I guess.

It's like a mini KOTOR game for every class, mixed with the most absurd MMO monetization goofery on all sides. I vaguely remember even walking/running speed was something gatekept by money. I enjoyed what I played on the Trooper and Agent stories. I even appreciated they let quests resolve over remote voice communication sometimes instead of making me physically walk back to someone. but once I got to MMO spinning my wheels and trying to think about progression I lost interest forever

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rinkles posted:

wonder who came up with the floating cast poster/cover idea

Both the FFXIV and Tactics Ogre box arts are meant to evoke the image of a wheel, for thematic purposes.

And it was Akihiko Yoshida that did both.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Sounds like a one-trick pony to me.

Artist who has only seen wheels: “Yeah, I have the perfect idea for the cover of this game”

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

Sounds like a one-trick pony to me.

Artist who has only seen wheels: “Yeah, I have the perfect idea for the cover of this game”

Wheels are bitchin tho

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ffxiv:
Last night I marathoned / shotgunned / chugged the infamous pre-titan quest line, idk what got revamped in the revamp but it was fine, a couple of decent story moments and characters

Still a qiest or two too long ofc, and made worse by the fact that the actual Titan encounter feels like a footnote, it's over so fast in comparison to the dumb chores the previous guys just made you do to prove yourself. Weird!!

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Khanstant posted:

do you mean "support the developers" as in, somehow, developers actually get to see some of this money or do you mean it like "support the developers" in the normal way where actually you can never do that with a purchase?

I mean support the developers in the normal trickle down economics way, where if the game is wildly financially successful, the people in control might not fire everyone who worked on it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rarity posted:

I have not yet seen all the speeches but it'll probably be Gridania yeah because Ul'dah should be burned do the ground and I don't want Merlwyb to step on me

Oh yeah how can you not love the "it is the will of the forest spirits 🙀" faction

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

Oh yeah how can you not love the "it is the will of the forest spirits 🙀" faction

Gridania the faction for sitting around tripping on shrooms confirmed

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Jay Rust posted:

The stuff in South Shroud completely killed Gridania for my wife and I. "Oh yeah we'd love to help the Ala Mhigans out, but the spirits said no so we're going to tell them to pound sand."

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Wait I can now play FFVIIR, gently caress yeah. Too bad I wanna cut on costs since PC+dental issues made me pay a lot this week.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Wait I can now play FFVIIR, gently caress yeah. Too bad I wanna cut on costs since PC+dental issues made me pay a lot this week.

i need to get back into it, i stalled hardcore in the slums due to Sidequest Brain my first time through

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have trouble with looking at ff7r because they made our heroes too gorgeous

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i modded cloud to be nude and it's really distracting

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

We need relatable characters Square

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

i need to get back into it, i stalled hardcore in the slums due to Sidequest Brain my first time through

If it helps, side quests are fairly finite in FF7R. Like there are still more of them than some people would want, but you won't end up falling down an eternal side quest black hole like in Xenoblade Chronicles or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Hilariously after reinstalling Steam I realized I don't really have many graphic intensive games, like MHWorld and BG3. Because my old PC made me not get them. And BG3 is getting an update soon so I'll have to wait.

And since the PC is new I don't wanna risk it going to *forbiddeb places* and getting it infected, the problem with the hard drive already drove me to anxiety.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Most PC games worth playing aren't that demanding anyway. I'm doing mostly fine with my 1060.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i'm glad to be aware from harddrives forever. i dont understand solid state technology either but its obviously way the hell better than information stored on like spinning things of metal wtf

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
someone could just spin the world really hard in the opposite direction of your harddrive and just stop it from working

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Khanstant posted:

i'm glad to be aware from harddrives forever. i dont understand solid state technology either but its obviously way the hell better than information stored on like spinning things of metal wtf

The SSD isn't under a loving cover that requires taking out everything else first so yeah ssds are cooler

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Snake voice: Solid state drive?

Otacon voice: That's right, Snake. An SSD.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

m.2 drives are so weird. It's like they released the prototype without finishing the interface, just stick this plain pcb into this awkwardly placed slot under your graphics I guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Squiblon/status/1544737798736924672?t=IUJaELeaNitJ27kjxdshiA&s=19

A lot of people within EA are pissed about that single player game joke they made last week on Twitter

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Squiblon/status/1544737798736924672?t=IUJaELeaNitJ27kjxdshiA&s=19

A lot of people within EA are pissed about that single player game joke they made last week on Twitter

your official twitter account not being run by anyone in your company is a hell of a power move

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's probably an external marketing firm.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They farm all that poo poo out, all them companies do. Anyways let's remember this is merely a symptom of the Cancer that is Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Whizzing Wizard posted:

m.2 drives are so weird. It's like they released the prototype without finishing the interface, just stick this plain pcb into this awkwardly placed slot under your graphics I guess.

Iirc (possibly very wrong) it’s because the format’s origins are from laptops (so user convenience wasn’t a priority, but space saving was).