Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/05/global-heating-causes-methane-growth-four-times-faster-than-thought-study

quote:

Their findings, published in the journal Nature Communications, suggest global heating is four times more influential in accelerating methane emissions than previously estimated, with rising temperatures helping to produce more methane (by speeding up microbe activity in wetlands for example), while at the same time slowing down the removal of methane from the atmosphere (with increasing numbers of wildfires reducing the availability of hydroxyl radicals in the upper atmosphere). “It was a really shocking result, and highlights that the effects of climate change can be even more extreme and dangerous than we thought,” said Redfern.

Real shocking stuff. No one thought this was possible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
lol

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

lmao

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Trabisnikof posted:

When has PG&E ever done something to hurt the public interest?

true facts which are now past the expiration date for any kind of liability, I hope:

PG&E provides power to Larry Ellison's california estate. I have seen his power bills, personally, and know that as of ~a decade ago he was spending ten thousand dollars a month just running lights and electric horses and dog simulators and race boats and poo poo.

THAT, BY ITSELF, IS A WAR CRIME

Hi, larry! :nsa:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried lowering the carbon methane?

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

What's our Faster Than Expected™ multiplier over baseline estimations at this point

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bedpan posted:

Lmao they quote someone from the Union of Concerned Scientists.

These were the same people who thought donald trump getting elected was literally the prelude to nuclear war.

well you can't accuse them of not being concerned

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Union of Bricking It Scientists

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Cabbages and Kings posted:

true facts which are now past the expiration date for any kind of liability, I hope:

PG&E provides power to Larry Ellison's california estate. I have seen his power bills, personally, and know that as of ~a decade ago he was spending ten thousand dollars a month just running lights and electric horses and dog simulators and race boats and poo poo.

THAT, BY ITSELF, IS A WAR CRIME

Hi, larry! :nsa:

Well his net worth is nearly 100 billion so you mean one of his estates and i would stake my life on each and every single one being climate controlled and sucking up power (landscaping, security, etc) year round. which is why you can catch me itt frothing at the mouth when people blame working class to any degree and cheer for policies which burden WC with added suffering to "fix" (lie) a problem they never caused and cannot fix through (specifically, involuntary) lifestyle change

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Well his net worth is nearly 100 billion so you mean one of his estates and i would stake my life on each and every single one being climate controlled and sucking up power (landscaping, security, etc) year round. which is why you can catch me itt frothing at the mouth when people blame working class to any degree and cheer for policies which burden WC with added suffering to "fix" (lie) a problem they never caused and cannot fix through (specifically, involuntary) lifestyle change

motherfucker bought up all the properties around this one in CA

and bulldozed them

and then put in irritagated lawns and poo poo

loving lol

in a former life i contributed to his net worth in some small way, and probably more to my own (because the work I did probably wasn't very profitable!!) :allears:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Trabisnikof posted:

Extending the licenses for these privately operated for-profit nuclear plants in America is going to seem real smart until one of them epically fucks poo poo up.

But hey, making a private corporation operate a complex and expensive system when they expressly would prefer it to shut down will result in the best maintenance and risk choices because it’s in the public interest you see.

why do you hate 3 mile island so much, you monster

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

He walked out in the gray light and stood and he saw for a brief moment the absolute truth of the world. The cold relentless circling of the intestate earth. Darkness implacable. The blind dogs of the sun in their running. The crushing black vacuum of the universe. And somewhere two hunted animals trembling like ground-foxes in their cover. Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

When the time comes there will be no time. Now is the time. Curse God and die.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

hahahaha

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

goochtit posted:

What's our Faster Than Expected™ multiplier over baseline estimations at this point

number only go up :colbert:

also what was about insurance companies loving off from weather prone areas?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-01/insurance-meltdown-sets-louisiana-florida-homeowners-scrambling

quote:

Insurance Meltdown Leaves Homeowners Without Policies and at Risk

Thousands of residents of Louisiana and Florida have lost coverage as the eastern US braces for a busy Atlantic hurricane season.

In recent weeks a handful of insurance companies nixed just over 80,000 policies in the Bayou State. As carriers bow out, not only are residents scrambling to find new coverage, but they are faced with limited choices. They may turn to other carriers that double their premiums overnight or to their state’s insurer of last resort, Louisiana Citizens.

According to Robert Stone, a New Orleans-based insurance agent, across the state “premiums are double, if not triple” what they were before 2020.

Florida homeowners face the same headache. The heightened risk of large storms threatening to make landfall — after Hurricanes Harvey, Michael, Florence, Dorian, and Ida — coupled with a stream of litigation has been a major blow to the state’s insurance market.

Federated National, which insured 140,000 Florida policyholders, had to undergo a court-ordered restructuring agreement and cancel 56,000 plans after an insurance rating agency downgraded the firm’s financial standing.

https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/us/news/breaking-news/insurance-company-cancels-all-its-29000-policies-in-louisiana-409929.aspx

quote:

Louisiana insurance commissioner Jim Donelon recently held a press conference to address the cancellation of about 29,000 policies by the insurance company Lighthouse Excalibur.

Years of severe storms have led to expensive insurance claims in the state, overwhelming insurance companies to the point of forcing several of them – such as Lighthouse Excalibur – to bail.

“Right now, we are trying to stop the flow of companies exiting our state and some just pausing their writings,” said Donelon. “Our focus is getting coverage in the private sector for those folks whose companies have stopped writing or have gone into receivership.”

As reported by local news outlet WDSU News, Donelon also announced that two more insurance companies are withdrawing from the state: Southern Fidelity and Maison. The cancellation of Maison would affect some 13,000 policyholders after June 30, while Southern Fidelity would affect another 42,000.

https://grist.org/housing/louisiana-homeowner-insurance-hurricane-season/

quote:

As another hurricane season promises to bring extra-strong storms driven by high ocean temperatures, Louisiana’s insurance market is headed for a tailspin. The damage from Hurricane Ida caused at least seven private insurance companies to collapse or cancel their policies, and several more could be on their way out, with dire implications for the state’s housing market. The market collapse threatens to leave tens of thousands of homeowners uninsured during the most dangerous time of year. Following on the heels of upheaval in the fire and flood insurance markets, the turmoil in Louisiana is yet another glaring signal that property and insurance markets aren’t prepared to deal with the financial fallout of climate-driven disasters.

Even insurers that didn’t face financial ruin have moved to exit the state market, canceling all their policies rather than risk having to make an enormous payout this hurricane season. A dozen insurance companies in total have either failed or left the state over the past two years, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, disrupting coverage for at least 100,000 customers. At least two state lawmakers have lost their coverage, including one member of the state’s House Committee on Insurance.

“It’s very common now for companies to leave, considering we’ve been hit with multiple storms,” said Huynh. “That caused a lot of companies to reevaluate the business, and then once they saw a couple of companies going bankrupt, a couple other companies decided to pull out. The pool of risk is getting narrower and narrower.”

iirc these are states wher you can't say climate change in any legal/state documents lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/Marcus_Hardwire/status/1544700033299353602

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

quote:

1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
2. Guide reproduction wisely — improving fitness and diversity.
3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
4. Rule passion — faith — tradition — and all things with tempered reason.
5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
9. Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
10. Be not a cancer on the Earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bye eugenics rocks

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Louisiana preventing their map from being updated with climate driven changes and crying about the consequences of climate change has the same vibe as the government lying and misrepresenting covid data and complaining that nobody wants to work anymore.

Its like our rulers actually think the lines they draw are reality. If you don't report the extra million dead they didn't die. If you don't show the majority of your state is disappearing into the ocean people shouldn't have trouble with flood insurance.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A nuclear power plant is a giant machine with levers and buttons, so I'm on board.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

We're gonna cut corners to avoid production delays and increased costs, and then have all our new reactors meltdown after a day and a half

we’re gonna make Chernobyl look like Eaglebyl

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Louisiana preventing their map from being updated with climate driven changes and crying about the consequences of climate change has the same vibe as the government lying and misrepresenting covid data and complaining that nobody wants to work anymore.

Its like our rulers actually think the lines they draw are reality. If you don't report the extra million dead they didn't die. If you don't show the majority of your state is disappearing into the ocean people shouldn't have trouble with flood insurance.

we elected lawyers, thats how their world works

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I assure you the flood insurance will be going up, if not denied outright. The money still has to flow along the lines set by physical reality, especially if that money is flowing to petit homeowners and not to the top where it belongs.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

skooma512 posted:

I assure you the flood insurance will be going up, if not denied outright. The money still has to flow along the lines set by physical reality, especially if that money is flowing to petit homeowners and not to the top where it belongs.

it’s almost like pooling high risk categories is contrary to the entire concept of insurance!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

finally, someone brave enough to fight the malthusian ecofascists

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Hubbert posted:

finally, someone brave enough to fight the malthusian ecofascists

that rock in japan contained a nine-tailed fox demon, i wonder what kind of monster was let loose from the guidestone :ohdear:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Flood insurance will go up but more importantly so will claim denials

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Delta-Wye posted:

that rock in japan contained a nine-tailed fox demon, i wonder what kind of monster was let loose from the guidestone :ohdear:

What could be worse than man?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Delta-Wye posted:

Rime.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Everyone should try looking up permissible limits for different substances and then compare it to the lower limit of detection in the corresponding EPA-standard test. It's a great exercise, so many of their tests are just orders of magnitude less sensitive than they need to be to actually enforce regulations.

:lol: at writing that in present tense

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Glad what little power to help us the EPA had left is now abrogated forever and no one cares

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

T-Paine posted:

Glad what little power to help us the EPA had left is now abrogated forever and no one cares

chin up, they can still set and pretend to regulate the criteria pollutants

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

yeah now that it doesn't matter, nobody will bother to stop them writing procedures that actually could detect pollutants

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Checking pollutants in a source of water really feels like a "fiddling while rome burns" kinda situation

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Even the EPA's token non-power was too much for capital. We are hooooooosseeddd

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Trabisnikof posted:

Extending the licenses for these privately operated for-profit nuclear plants in America is going to seem real smart until one of them epically fucks poo poo up.

But hey, making a private corporation operate a complex and expensive system when they expressly would prefer it to shut down will result in the best maintenance and risk choices because it’s in the public interest you see.

My biggest concern isn't nuclear meltdowns, it's about Raytheon-Disney-Microsoft realizing that they can make billions selling plutonium to the highest bidder.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chamale posted:

My biggest concern isn't nuclear meltdowns, it's about Raytheon-Disney-Microsoft realizing that they can make billions selling plutonium to the highest bidder.

yeah i mean it wouldn’t take a meltdown, just a big leak of some kind or an industrial accident that kills a lot of workers and means ooops they get to keep the money for operating the plant but don’t…you know…actually have to operate it.

On the Pu side…well…they already do that lol

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

Trabisnikof posted:

yeah i mean it wouldn’t take a meltdown, just a big leak of some kind or an industrial accident that kills a lot of workers and means ooops they get to keep the money for operating the plant but don’t…you know…actually have to operate it.

On the Pu side…well…they already do that lol

or better yet, they get fined less than the amount of profit they made so it just keeps happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

nakieon posted:

or better yet, they get fined less than the amount of profit they made so it just keeps happening

HSBC Merger and Acquisition exec just got rock hard and doesn’t know why yet.