Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

EvilBeard posted:

Got the starter slapped on tonight after work. I must be living right. I reached up to put the nut on the solenoid stud, and I could barely reach up around the headers with 2 fingers. The nut just fell into place and threaded right on. I basically won the lottery.

I and my back hate you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is poo poo they managed to do stock. I don't know how but GM builds absolutely poop-quality starters and runs the exhaust way too close to them, and then spent way too long not putting a relay on the starter circuit. Headers just make the problem worse but it was there all along.
Wrapping the headers improved my hot starting.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

joat mon posted:

Wrapping the headers improved my hot starting.

I Cerakoted mine, but I'm just going to wrap the starter.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Finally installed a dash cam in something.

Other than being pestered by flies and forgetting to plug the cigarette lighter back in, easy peasy.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
I installed a 22 year old CD player in my 25 year old car and kissed my 10 year old dog on the forehead for helping.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's a good doggo.

That CD player looks pretty decent in there. I'm assuming the rest of the dash lighting is a similar color?

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

STR posted:

That's a good doggo.

That CD player looks pretty decent in there. I'm assuming the rest of the dash lighting is a similar color?

Yep, wanted something a bit less trash than the stock becker tape deck but wanted to maintain the black and orange theme. Every modern single din stereo was either hideous or lacking in inputs/outputs (like the Continental ones popular in older german cars)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
If it reads CD-Rs ok you can still make custom playlists :v:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Do any of those dash cams stream RTSP? If I'm going to spend money on a dash cam, I want it to spill its guts to my Zoneminder (neckbeard surveillance) setup. 99% of the time my car is sitting outside my house, I'd just as soon have its camera feed going back to my server if possible.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Might want to ask in the dashcam thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215

A quick googling says the viofo a129 can though: https://viofo.com/blog/how-to-switch-a129-dash-camera-to-wifi-station-mode-with-app-b54.html

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I managed to grab a Holley double pumper and single plane intake manifold for the 383 I'm building. All I'm waiting on now is rocker arms and a cam /lifters then I can fully assemble the motor. Now its really down to little things like fuel pump, oil pump, gaskets and what not. I also talked to a local shop here and I'm going to dyno the motor so we can break it in on the dyno and verify nothing is leaking.

The single plane intake is not really ideal for what this motor is but it will work fine and it leaves room for when I decide to go to aluminum heads.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It will be fine, just keep it above 3500 rpm all the time.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

BigPaddy posted:

It will be fine, just keep it above 3500 rpm all the time.

Good advice for any engine.

OK, maybe not diesels :v:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I finally got around to installing the OE BMW Performance exhaust that I picked up for my E91. I celebrated by giving it a quick wash.

Out with the old

In with the old and raspy.

I love it.

The old girl in the driveway got a quick spray to blow off some sap and pollen.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Hello Fellow E91 Owner!

Crosspostin' from my Honda thread, I gave my E91 some love on Thursday. Checked tire pressures, tightened lug bolts, vacuumed the interior, checked fluids, fueled it up, gave it the most expensive option at the car wash and fit a cell phone mount to the windshield. I tested a 2013 F10 535D Touring the other day and have also tried some brand new 5 and 3 series cars, and I'm always surprised when I get back into the E91 to feel just how much of its DNA is present in the newer and bigger cars. I'm a BMW enthusiastic fan and have also owned a V8 E34 530 and 323i E36, but I am not a fanatic or expert, and IMO I really think the E90 platform might be one of their all-time best ones.

I did a 220 mile road trip yesterday, and apart from a bearing making some noise and some vibration under braking, it ran flawlessly, and I think the engine might be happier than in a long time.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Went and helped my cousin clean up some wiring on his intercooler after he got it back from tuning. Made 656 rwhp on 9 psi. He stopped there due to his transmission being the weak point for now.

Took it out for a few rips. It's REAL rowdy when it hits boost.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I got a two week long case of covid that just absolutely kicked the poo poo out of me and finally got back to work/projects this weekend.

Ran the better part of a bottle of cascade through the 7.3 cooling system up to operating temp, flushed with distilled & M18 transfer pump, currently running on 8 gallons of distilled water to verify everything's clean and I'm not seeing any more residue in the degas bottle after taking it out and opening the thermostat multiple times. Here's hoping it stays that way.

Gonna let it cool off so I can drain it and refill with ELC and throw on a bypass coolant filter.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Spend a long, long time polishing this Chaser and much less time actually waxing it. Didn't bother cleaning the wheels yet since I've got a new set of tires on the way and I'll deep clean them then when they are off the car. If you're looking at this and going "what the hell is this Camry looking thing" I understand, the big deal is it's a 5 speed manual, RWD, and it has this under the hood:

:getin:

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I bet that thing is a hoot to drive

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got the S60R inspected today. Always a bit of trepidation taking an out-of-state car for PA safety inspection, but the mechanic said it was perfect. The legend lives on!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
You know, since you've got new tires coming...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DoubleT2172 posted:

I bet that thing is a hoot to drive

I truly adore that most people here in the states just totally gloss over it with their eyes, and since this one is 100% (even the stereo) original the only noise you here when under WOT is the induction of the turbos which is exceptionally :swoon:, no fart can exhaust burble, no crackle or pops, just a "fffFFFFFFFFFFFF" as it sucks incredible amount of air to shove in the intake.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

You know, since you've got new tires coming...

They are from 2006 so are well into the 'unsafe' territory and while the idea is great, I have no place to actually do this. Even just ~normal~ driving the grip is so poor the traction control steps in and cuts throttle, if I turn that off then all bets are off to where my rear end ends up. Both outcomes suck.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Finally got around to lowering my MINI on NM springs. It rides fine and sits so much better.

I work at a MINI dealership and we happened to have an unused set of hand me down "house" wheels that were available to throw on. So I dropped down from the stock 17" all season runflats to a set of 16" Conti extreme contact sports on sparco wheels.

It rips even more than normal now :getin:

Before

After

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Blessed be the Green Car Gang

E: the smaller wheels look so nice

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Those Fauoz wheels look great

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Mustache Ride posted:

Those Fauoz wheels look great

I mean, Oz does produce sparco's wheels

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Wet sanded and clear coated the headlights to my '07 Yaris, the factory coating was at the end of it's life. Used 2K clear coat to recoat them, looking a lot better now at least than before. Tomorrow I plan to color sand them and polish and it should look decent.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

I truly adore that most people here in the states just totally gloss over it with their eyes, and since this one is 100% (even the stereo) original the only noise you here when under WOT is the induction of the turbos which is exceptionally :swoon:, no fart can exhaust burble, no crackle or pops, just a "fffFFFFFFFFFFFF" as it sucks incredible amount of air to shove in the intake.

They are from 2006 so are well into the 'unsafe' territory and while the idea is great, I have no place to actually do this. Even just ~normal~ driving the grip is so poor the traction control steps in and cuts throttle, if I turn that off then all bets are off to where my rear end ends up. Both outcomes suck.

Coward.
(I keed)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Installed my fancy titanium lug nuts, which I purchased because I am an idiot.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The work truck was in dire need of some repairs. The leaf spring was found broken a week ago.

All new hardware as I went. New shackle, both rear bolts, u-bolts & nuts, bottom plate, and flipped front bolt so I didn’t have to gently caress with the exhaust.

It also thought it would be fun to poo poo out the water pump at the same time.

About 12:30am finishing up both jobs. New tensioner, belt, and water pump.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Nicely done. Keep on truckin’.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Drove to the middle of nowhere British Columbia to pick up a free horse trailer (well livestock trailer).

Putting the truck to work all while proving the "lowered trucks are useless" crowd wrong.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

New coil packs.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Carb rebuild

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

McTinkerson posted:

Drove to the middle of nowhere British Columbia to pick up a free horse trailer (well livestock trailer).

Putting the truck to work all while proving the "lowered trucks are useless" crowd wrong.

Do you have horses or just using what looks like a horse trailer for other things?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Nystral posted:

Do you have horses or just using what looks like a horse trailer for other things?

The wife's English equestrian hobby makes my Automotive Insanity look downright frugal.

So yes and also yes. This trailer will be multi purpose should I find a motorcycle, snowmobile, hovercraft, original mini or locost.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

A while ago I bought a used set of Mazda RX-8 wheels for my 1995 Lexus SC400 on FB Marketplace. I've seen other SCs on these wheels and it looked good. I sandblasted the wheels. I bought epoxy primer, base coat, and urethane clear. I dusted off the old HF HVLP gun that I had only used for oil-based polyurethane in the past and used it to spray epoxy primer. I didn't know what I was doing, and before you know it, a half-gallon of primer was used up. I had to buy a little more primer (!) to touch up a couple spots I missed (!). I bought a brand-new $20 HF gun since it seemed like something was really wrong with mine.

This did not go well. So I called my friend who has experience with this kind of stuff. I dragged the wheels and tires over Saturday morning. It took two hours to sand back my epoxy primer work to a usable surface finish. My friend showed me how to spray the base on two wheels and then I did the other two. We did the same thing with the clear. The hardener I had was the wrong temperature rating for the actual conditions (low-90s F), but the results ended up pretty good IMO. Definitely the color I wanted and definitely wet-looking and shiny.

I went back yesterday and we mounted the tires. I mowed the lawn and emptied our backyard inflatable pool and felt too sick to do much of anything else.

This morning I jacked the car up to mount the "new" wheels and new tires. Remember that bit about having seen other SCs with these RX-8 wheels? Well those other people must not have had four-piston front brakes from a 99 LS 400 installed on their cars. Because the back of the spokes and the brake caliper wanted to occupy the same physical space. It is really close, so I ordered some 3mm spacers. When they arrive I will give it another shot.

When the paint has had a chance to fully cure I'll take a crack at a little wet sanding and some polishing to get the little defects out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PBCrunch posted:

A while ago I bought a used set of Mazda RX-8 wheels for my 1995 Lexus SC400 on FB Marketplace. I've seen other SCs on these wheels and it looked good. I sandblasted the wheels. I bought epoxy primer, base coat, and urethane clear. I dusted off the old HF HVLP gun that I had only used for oil-based polyurethane in the past and used it to spray epoxy primer. I didn't know what I was doing, and before you know it, a half-gallon of primer was used up. I had to buy a little more primer (!) to touch up a couple spots I missed (!). I bought a brand-new $20 HF gun since it seemed like something was really wrong with mine.

This did not go well. So I called my friend who has experience with this kind of stuff. I dragged the wheels and tires over Saturday morning. It took two hours to sand back my epoxy primer work to a usable surface finish. My friend showed me how to spray the base on two wheels and then I did the other two. We did the same thing with the clear. The hardener I had was the wrong temperature rating for the actual conditions (low-90s F), but the results ended up pretty good IMO. Definitely the color I wanted and definitely wet-looking and shiny.

I went back yesterday and we mounted the tires. I mowed the lawn and emptied our backyard inflatable pool and felt too sick to do much of anything else.

This morning I jacked the car up to mount the "new" wheels and new tires. Remember that bit about having seen other SCs with these RX-8 wheels? Well those other people must not have had four-piston front brakes from a 99 LS 400 installed on their cars. Because the back of the spokes and the brake caliper wanted to occupy the same physical space. It is really close, so I ordered some 3mm spacers. When they arrive I will give it another shot.

When the paint has had a chance to fully cure I'll take a crack at a little wet sanding and some polishing to get the little defects out.

I know you know this now, but always always always test fit before spending a bunch of effort on a thing.
Also, the trick to using an HF spray gun with epoxy primer is to open up the tip with a 2mm (being American, I actually use a 5/64") drill bit. The factory tip is a 1.4, which is a bit small for heavier epoxy primers. The factory needle is big enough to deal with the larger tip. I sprayed catalyzed epoxy primer with that and it worked great.
Also: always disassemble the HF guns completely and clean before using. They're full of junk from the factory. The assholes don't supply the wrench to remove the nozzle, *and* make the flats to do so slots so you can't use a normal wrench, but a grinder fixes that real quick. You're cleaning it anyway, right?

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgdNpPHhmY8

edit again: I really like Paint Society on YT for autobody spraying basics. He even covers the HF gun for LOLs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEtlhLqXPNU

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 11, 2022

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

A test fit would have been a good idea. I thought about it and chose not to because the wheels didn't have any tires. There was a limit to what I would learn about fitment. I should have known better...

The last set of non-factory wheels I put on something had brake problems too. I had a set of 16" 97-01 Prelude alloy wheels kicking around for a long time. My wife bent a (16" steel) wheel on her 2012 CR-V. Oh, we will just swap the tires over to these Prelude wheels and be on our way! Not so fast. The "corners" of the stock calipers just barely grazed the stick on weights on the inside of one wheel and popped the weights clean off of the other wheel. Solution: a very light grinding on each caliper.

The HF gun that gave me trouble was one I had used a few times to spray polyurethane on some furniture projects. I think maybe I didn't clean it correctly. I for sure never took that threaded part out of the nozzle because I didn't have a thin wrench for it. I think all I did to clean it the last time I used it was to swish mineral spirits around in the fluid cup and then spray it out. Repeat. Repeat.

I have watched a lot of Paint Society videos.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

PBCrunch posted:

I have watched a lot of Paint Society videos.

Same.

Also, if you're looking for an affordable gravity hvlp gun, max air makes one with tips that go from 1.4m to 2.2mm for like $45.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 12, 2022