Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The scene I believe they're remembering is when the Mizukis discover the fake missile at the Misetan Amusement Park. They run into Ryuki standing there in a daze and when they question what he's up to he's somewhat despondent and just says he's "waiting for it to come down". This is exactly what's happening when he's pursuing Shoma and the kid gets on the ferris wheel and is just suddenly gone from existence once his carriage makes it back down.

No ones confused about the events in question, for what its worth. We all understand, or at least its pretty clear to me, what events we are talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What memes do you think Uchikoshi will put into AI 3? I, for one, think that someone will go "It's morbin time" and morb on some guys

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/1544459393596461056?s=20&t=f-eQZvMIoiZDVcuA9yVZ_A

You son of a bitch.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Polderjoch posted:

The thing I just said, Ryuki having a freakout over realising he can't possibly know both "dahlia" and "boat", forgetting about Komeji being dead for years only when under the player's control, and then the general theme of Ryuki being affected and semi-aware of the frayer which spans like, literally the entire game.

There's one point where as Ryuki afterwards in a convo with Shoma you can ask "how did you get down from the ferris wheel? you just disappeared" and he says that he just came down normally. That was a moment that stuck out to me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Based on what. There is nothing in the text of the game that even comes close to suggesting this

After Komejis death, Ryuki is confused why the girls don't seem particularly shaken and are celebrating Valentine's like usual.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah if you replay the "present" Ryuki sections he clearly thinks "yesterday six years ago" happened yesterday. As an example:

So that half of the twist makes sense narratively, it's the other half that is a lot more questionable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can someone tell me in a completely spoiler-free way if the stupid handwaving excuse you get in the beginning of the game for why Date looks the way he does is all I'm going to get or if Date is actually a part of the plot and that's just the writer doing his usual thing?

I don't wanna be spoiled but I just really wanna know if I should consider Date as being "part of the equation" or not.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
As far as I can tell the only reason for that is because the game doesn't want to spoil the previous game. It never comes up again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

As far as I can tell the only reason for that is because the game doesn't want to spoil the previous game. It never comes up again.

Thanks. I assumed that was the case.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

(Full Spoilers) Someone put together a full chronological timeline summary of the events.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

TFW you write a manifesto about a visual novel

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Paul Zuvella posted:

TFW you write a manifesto about a visual novel

i've seen way, way weirder theses about visual novel stuff compared to 'here's a chronological timeline of a story' :v:

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Mix. posted:

i've seen way, way weirder theses about visual novel stuff compared to 'here's a chronological timeline of a story' :v:

Like, writing a dissertation is required after you finish Umineko.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Terper posted:

(Full Spoilers) Someone put together a full chronological timeline summary of the events.

This is really neat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How is every game he's writing more and more horny every time? You can't go 30 seconds without a dick joke this time.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

yeah tama rules

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think what the sequel lacked the most was (full spoilers) moments for tracks like this to play. I think to really set the stage for the virus, the game needed additional routes and bad endings where different characters were infected by TC-PERGE and started going insane and causing chaos/killing people. A short bad ending route where Ota and Iris do the Polar Bear Killing Version 2.0 would have been great and justified their place in the game. Make a full Annihilation route where everyone goes on insane murder sprees. Really impress the dangers of the virus instead of 30 seconds of the one Yakuze dude from the first game saying wacky poo poo in Lemniscate. Hell, this can be used in the Gen&Amame ending where Boss sics the SAT on you; it's because she's been infected.

Terper fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 6, 2022

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Actually that does bring to mind one of the big differences with this game compared to the first that probably had something to do with it feeling less high stakes.

It's way less visceral and gory. Which is weird to say when the premise is people getting split in half but it's somehow true. The first game wasn't afraid to actually show some more gruesome stuff and it really made situations feel tense. The worst this game ever gets is showing a bit of blood splatter.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/robotortoise/status/1543724122949136386?t=sJMuv6_19uFdwe29xsh39A&s=19

Hmm

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Finally it is time for the Marco dlc

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Nyoro posted:

Finally it is time for the Marco dlc

Marco or Maruko though this is important!!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Actually that does bring to mind one of the big differences with this game compared to the first that probably had something to do with it feeling less high stakes.

It's way less visceral and gory. Which is weird to say when the premise is people getting split in half but it's somehow true. The first game wasn't afraid to actually show some more gruesome stuff and it really made situations feel tense. The worst this game ever gets is showing a bit of blood splatter.

Same when going from 999 to VLR. The way they shyed away from showing or describing basically anything gruesome undercut a lot of the horror and dread that the previous game had.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 6, 2022

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

IIRC AI Somnium Files got a CERO Z rating, which is the equivalent of an AO rating here. It may have contributed to its poor sales in Japan.

The sequel has a C rating, which is less restrictive.

By following this pattern, the third game is going to be super violent like ZTD.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

That was the best part of ZTD. Say what you will about the mess it was in other areas, it was some fun schlock. :v:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

They have a really good grasp of the engine now and I was struck more than a few times while playing AI2 that in many ways it seemed like DLC for AI1 that had been developed up to full game length. It would certainly be possible for them to leverage that into some independent shorter stories to be sold as DLC. After all, I'm here for the character, world, and storytelling more than I am a new piece of technological wizardry.

That said one of the major draws of these games are being presented with an interesting, complex mystery that you need to spend a great deal of time slowly untangling and I would wonder if some of that magic would be lost in a shorter format. Maybe something episodic?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So having replayed 999, and currently in a replay of VLR, here's my take on Uchikoshi's games

999: Still the game with the most impactful twist, and overall the strongest story. However I didn't find the characters that memorable or even that likable. Still though the end of the true route packs an emotional wallop even knowing what's going to happen.

VLR: The game that has the most "holy poo poo" twists of anything he's done (outside of Ever 17), and many more moving character moments than 999. Whereas in 999 most of the emotional content was relegated to the two main characters, here most of the characters have moving character arcs or backstories. Luna's story is still one of the emotional highlights of anything Uchikoshi has done. However while the story is more epic and twisty than 999, the coherence of the story depended on whether the sequel satisfactorily answers the questions left unanswered in the game. And sadly it didn't. Which leads to:

Zero Time Dilemma: I only played it once, and I do remember liking some of the story developments. But the game fails in its ability to satisfactorily answer the questions raised by the previous game, so both games end up suffering as a result.

AI: Sominum FIles: Probably the best package in terms of a strong, coherent story, and memorable, likeable characters. Unlike 999 and VLR, you could remove the story element and the game would still be fun to play due to the strength of the characters and their interactions. Still though I do feel that it's the left route that has the stronger story elements and more impactful emotional moments, whereas the right half isn't nearly as strong.

AI: Nirvana Initiative: Not as strong as a story, and doesn't hit some of the emotional highs the first game did, but overall more consistent in terms of quality, from a story and character perspective.

Oh and there's also Worlds End Club which has a lame story (though to be fair it is geared more towards kids) but I found the cast really charming.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 7, 2022

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

YoshiOfYellow posted:

That was the best part of ZTD. Say what you will about the mess it was in other areas, it was some fun schlock. :v:

All i'm saying is give Iris a chainsaw

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DemoneeHo posted:

IIRC AI Somnium Files got a CERO Z rating, which is the equivalent of an AO rating here. It may have contributed to its poor sales in Japan.

The sequel has a C rating, which is less restrictive.

By following this pattern, the third game is going to be super violent like ZTD.

This might also explain why they bent over backwards to make it able to stand alone.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

One thing the sequel didn't disappoint on at least is the music. Lots of good stuff in here just like the first game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJVot8O9g4M

Low-fi beats to chill and dissociate to.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Happy birthday to (game 2 spoiler)

cool big sis Mizuki

and also Mizuki

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/1540145400891330561?s=20&t=j7KXx36H9OCzdzFwea3Mbg

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Terper posted:

I think one of my current theories is that I think what's actually going on with his episodes is that his body has almost a meta-level immune system and is trying to reject the player. His episodes occur when we the player experience or do something that shouldn't happen. His somnium shows fear of green hands, which conveniently is the color for the player's cursor. And his reverse psyncing is his mind trying to contain the player. TC-PERGE in this case is a red herring. It's possible it might not even exist, since we only really see one individual that's been possibly affected by it and it doesn't make sense why he'd be infected.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

FZeroRacer posted:

I think one of my current theories is that I think what's actually going on with his episodes is that his body has almost a meta-level immune system and is trying to reject the player. His episodes occur when we the player experience or do something that shouldn't happen. His somnium shows fear of green hands, which conveniently is the color for the player's cursor. And his reverse psyncing is his mind trying to contain the player. TC-PERGE in this case is a red herring. It's possible it might not even exist, since we only really see one individual that's been possibly affected by it and it doesn't make sense why he'd be infected.

or, alternatively, TC-PERGE makes you susceptible to influence from "frayers" if you don't already have some kind of affinity for it (like Mama), and the reason everyone's going crazy offscreen is bc they're being piloted by people who have fun causing chaos in open world games like GTA/Saints Row :v:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of which, it sounds like I'm in a minority but I actually really liked ZTD, despite it being an extremely extremely ugly game. I thought the stupid rear end plot twist near the end was great.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
There isn't an Uchikoshi game I've regretted playing or put down halfway. But I do feel like he's been having trouble lately wrangling games into a complete story and instead resorting increasingly to contrivance in order to make the twist he's thought of work. Now, twists are why I like his stories, so I wouldn't want him to stop thinking of crazy twists, but (no story spoilers for Nirvana Initiative, but vaguely talks about what the twist is like) games like 999 and VLR show that the twist can be both mindblowing for the player and diegetic and I think Nirvana Initiative and to a much lesser extent Somnium Files (i.e. there's nothing to address the timeline-hopping) don't really pull that part off.

(Full story spoiler for Nirvana Initiative ahead) It's so obvious in NI that Uchikoshi had this cool idea - "what if the timelines are out of order, huh?" but couldn't figure out a way for this to actually impact the characters or be resolved through their actions, so instead he has to have a joke character become a literal wizard and outright tell the player what's going on in a sidebar that none of the actual principal characters know or hear anything about. Explaining why Ryuki is all confused about what year it is is easy, but Mizuki can't be explained without literally pulling a genetically engineered body double with an identical wardrobe out of thin air. The same goes for Shoma, who has to somehow not physically age between the ages of 12 and 18, so it's just handwaved away as awfully convenient genetic meddling. I can't imagine this is what he set out to write, but it just turned out that way.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 7, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Isn't he collaborating with Kodaka for his next project? I know they're good friends but I don't know if Kodaka will reign in these tendencies or make them worse-Danganronpa certainly has crazy twists, but they're not Uchikoshi crazy twists.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Junpei posted:

Isn't he collaborating with Kodaka for his next project? I know they're good friends but I don't know if Kodaka will reign in these tendencies or make them worse-Danganronpa certainly has crazy twists, but they're not Uchikoshi crazy twists.

There's only two games that we know of that are in development at Tookyo (though obviously there could be more unannounced titles), which are as follows:

Enigma Archives: RAIN CODE, which is what Kodaka is currently working on (no involvement from Uchikoshi that we know of), which we know nothing about past that the danganronpa artist did the character designs again.

Tribe Nine, which is apparently a multimedia franchise since there was an anime recently and the game itself is going to be a mobile game of some kind, and also has Kodaka working on it (but in collaboration with another studio, again, no Uchikoshi involvement mentioned); it's like. sci fi baseball gang wars, I guess. Probably gonna be a gacha lets be real

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Huh. Maybe it was just an unsubstantiated rumor I heard.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You might be thinking of World's End Club, the game he directed with Kodaka that came out last year.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Got the big credits.

Postgame: Where do I go back to use the number Tokiko gave me? I already forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

wuggles posted:

Postgame: Where do I go back to use the number Tokiko gave me? I already forgot.
The first time you meet that person.