Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like Takamura was right about Ippo needing some sort of personal drive to win. It's always felt like Ippo boxes out of a sort of obligation - he doesn't want to disappoint people (mainly his coach). But he's never really shown a personal drive to become the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like Takamura was right about Ippo needing some sort of personal drive to win. It's always felt like Ippo boxes out of a sort of obligation - he doesn't want to disappoint people (mainly his coach). But he's never really shown a personal drive to become the best.

Yup, very much true. Right now, Ippo is boxing far better than he ever did, because of that drive to "Pay back Volg." Ippo's motivation wasn't to win it was to "Know what strength is." if Ippo WANTS to win, he needs to want to win.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tbp posted:

the monster thing from takamura is more mental than anything. he's absolutely not saying to ippo "you need to get good enough to avoid taking damage", he's explicilty going "you need to get to a point where you don't loving care if you break or die for the fight". takamura is at that point, he's been building up life altering injuries for a while (his leg, the eye) but that is fundamentally meaningless to him when compared to the severity of his desire for his goal. he thinks of ippo as treating boxing as a "hobby", and nowhere near that same level of dedication.

Actually takamura is just referring to the thread title

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onmi posted:

Yup, very much true. Right now, Ippo is boxing far better than he ever did, because of that drive to "Pay back Volg." Ippo's motivation wasn't to win it was to "Know what strength is." if Ippo WANTS to win, he needs to want to win.

He was also doing good when he had a goal in Miyata. He very noticeably starts boxing worse after the match with Miyata is called off.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

One time that he went really 'it's personal' and was determined to not let the opponent have the belt, not just 'fight as the challenger', we got the Sawamura fight

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
As terrible as a storyline as it was: Kojima and the OHKO.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As terrible as a storyline as it was: Kojima and the OHKO.

Once again proving the coach is the problem.
Get pissed about a psycho who also hurt kinda sort future girlfriend? Face yoru worst match-up and beat counters to dempsey.

Get angry about coach? Run headfirst into the most obvious punch a jober threw out.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Where's the new chapter internet??? I need my hog fix.

NEW CHAP

Jiro fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 28, 2022

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Best fight in the series? Perhaps.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Sendo and Vorg doing their best as reader stand-ins for what just happened

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

only 9 pages and that chapter still owned

literally "sendo sets up a comedy bit" the chapter

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I can't believe that Sendo is somehow the most responsible person in that entire building.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
lol right? Sendo is the best

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

remember that he's basically an entire city block's big brother

i've known people exactly like sendo. one of my cousins is a sendo

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MonsterEnvy posted:

He was also doing good when he had a goal in Miyata. He very noticeably starts boxing worse after the match with Miyata is called off.

Yeah very much so, his desire to fight turned into "Well I guess I'm just... champ" because the Miyata fight kept getting pushed further and further off. He had no real desire to fight Ricardo, so with his goal essentially pushed so far out of reach with no real way to like... hasten it. It just became about fighting for the sake of fighting. Or as he said 'I want to know what 'strength' is."

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
He got really pissed off and legit wanted to avenge Date for about five minutes

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Patware posted:

remember that he's basically an entire city block's big brother

i've known people exactly like sendo. one of my cousins is a sendo

I think if Ippo explained to him that he retired because he promised Kumi and also doesn't want his mother to worry anymore he'd understand completely. He'd be annoyed inside but would 100% accept the reason.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1387

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wonder if maybe Wali will be sacrificed to get Ippo back into boxing.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Why the hell can't any of these characters just say Ippo took too many shots to the head???

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Wonder if maybe Wali will be sacrificed to get Ippo back into boxing.

I've been suspecting this for a while. Wali pushes Martinez enough for him to show his "true face," and then things get brutal.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Jiro posted:

Why the hell can't any of these characters just say Ippo took too many shots to the head???

It is difficult to cavalierly admit to something that hangs like a specter over all of them, day in, day out.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

tbp posted:

It is difficult to cavalierly admit to something that hangs like a specter over all of them, day in, day out.

Yeah "Oh he had to retire because he got hit in the head so much he has brain damage."
"You mean doing that thing we're doing now?"
"Yup."

That and, again, Ippo was NEVER forward about his retirement, there was plenty of speculation but as we've said in the past, he was medically cleared, he chose to retire, he didn't go "The doctors have warned me against stepping in the ring" or any kind of public explanation, as far as the world is concerned all they have is speculation. Besides, it's Woli. The dude's basically "Innocence incarnate" you going to explain to him someone has brain damage?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

So Woli is a good boy who doesn't understand the risks of boxing and is being exploited by his trainer.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Woli knows that getting hit is bad and plans appropriately, unlike some other boxers in the manga

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rubellavator posted:

So Woli is a good boy who doesn't understand the risks of boxing and is being exploited by his trainer.

He gets paid in Mangoes and Crypto (which in Ippo's world was developed in the 80s)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

trucutru posted:

He gets paid in Mangoes and Crypto (which in Ippo's world was developed in the 80s)

He gets paid in actual floppy disks.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

have we made it it out of the second millenium yet in-universe?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Has anyone told Morikawa that there are cities in Indonesia and the people living there aren't mentally ten years old

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007
Ask me about being possesed by the spirit of John Holmes
I’m worried that the “talking about what I want to do in the future” is a death flag for Woli

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Flesnolk posted:

Has anyone told Morikawa that there are cities in Indonesia and the people living there aren't mentally ten years old

Yes but Wally did not live in those cities, he's also 18 and people at that age can be immature.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

I’m worried that the “talking about what I want to do in the future” is a death flag for Woli

Well, Ippo's gotta get back into the ring somehow...

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ricardo is gonna kill Woli and Ippo is gonna remember "oh right I was suppose to avenge Date too, guess I got double revenge to do now"

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Ricardo is gonna kill Woli and Ippo is gonna remember "oh right I was suppose to avenge Date too, guess I got double revenge to do now"

Or injure Woli enough that he can no longer box, which could arguably be even more tragic because of his earnest love for the sport

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Lol, I forgot about that. And I think Morikawa forgot as well.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

pnumoman posted:

Lol, I forgot about that. And I think Morikawa forgot as well.

It was acknowledged within the retirement arc, so I don't think so. Date's son takes an attitude with Ippo

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

tbp posted:

It was acknowledged within the retirement arc, so I don't think so. Date's son takes an attitude with Ippo

I'll take your word for it, I've been reading this manga for most of my life at this point so I can't remember anything that doesn't involve people punching or getting punched. Or Ippo's massive hog.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

have we made it it out of the second millenium yet in-universe?

Believe it's early 2000s there now.

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

Worried, hopeful, tomato, tomAto...

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

pnumoman posted:

I'll take your word for it, I've been reading this manga for most of my life at this point so I can't remember anything that doesn't involve people punching or getting punched. Or Ippo's massive hog.

it's almost loving bizarre how well i remember this series despite its absurd length. i wish i could shake out some of that information my the recesses of my brain to replace with more useful stuff lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

runwiled posted:

Or injure Woli enough that he can no longer box, which could arguably be even more tragic because of his earnest love for the sport

Miguel is a competent enough second to throw the towel in before he would let Woli get broken by Martinez.