Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Covok posted:

Anyone else find it odd that, even though there is only like 3 or so dark magical girl shows, that Americans in the tabletop rpg scene are obessed with them? If you don't do trpgs, you may not know this, but like 99% of mahou shoujo games are plays on Madoka. Like, not all of them are bad. Princess: The Hopeful kind of sucks due to lack of vision (what if Minki Mori, Sailor Moon, and Cardcaptor were all true at once), but Magical Burst and Magical Fury by our forums own, Ewen Clueny, is good. Still, why the obession with Madoka in the trpg scene? Was it that influential in the anime scene as well? There is no way it was anything more than a cool odity: popular and probably influential but not changing the definition of the genre away from kids.

the dark magical girl stuff has blown up further than ~3 series (not to take your post too literally), and you can maybe assume the trend also caused people to look back and see the dark elements in older shows too. so i guess ttrpgs having a genre trend doesn't seem that off to me when it's definitely a thing in manga/anime even recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wb endoph!

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Sailor Moon is a dark magical girl show

Yea, First season and Stars are pretty dark. Hell, Super is, too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

secretly best girl posted:

I think a very specific type of broken brain latched onto Madoka for a variety of reasons and I'm not just saying this because of an ex who really really wants to be post-Rebellion Homura to the point of spending years trying to create a cult of magical girls and abusive relationships because "it's what Homura would want"!
feel like this is specifically what homura did not want

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

god i wish tokyo mew mew new wasn't on hidive

but also i think even CR wants you to sign up for a subscription now if you wanna keep watching stuff 😔

welcome back!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sailor Moon also murders about 90% of its main hero cast on screen twice (though they get better later)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 6, 2022

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Welcome back, Endorph!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

wait how are we defining "dark magical girl" shows? like, post-madoka? the only show i've heard of like that is like, "magical girl site", which is apparently Bad

sailor moon has some dark parts to it, and tmm does too im p sure

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Larryb posted:

Sailor Moon also murders about 90% of its main hero cast on screen twice (though they get better later)

Not to mention the tragic backstory of the Shitennou and later on Sailor Saturn. Shits sad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also madoka is extremely influential but the darkness has always been a part of the magical girl genre. ofc i wouldnt be surprised if tabletop RPGs went way overboard on it but thats just the clumsy writing inherent to amateur TTRPGs.

one of the earliest magical girl shows was a little mermaid inspired one where the mermaid girl on land deals with insane poo poo like child trafficking and discrimination against immigrants. they avert the seafoam ending but she has to give up her connection to the sea completely complete with an implication that she forgets her father ever existed.

though all that ending drama, while good, is kicked off by her boyfriend being attacked by a gorilla that escaped from a zoo so im not sure if that adds or subtracts to it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Booky posted:

wait how are we defining "dark magical girl" shows? like, post-madoka? the only show i've heard of like that is like, "magical girl site", which is apparently Bad

theres various shows after madoka that are clearly somewhat inspired by it. yuuki yuuna plays pretty directly with the tainted wish/giving something up to be a magical girl aspect, it just bakes in political commentary and more physical distress with the disability stuff. and wixoss, while technically a card game show, is clearly playing in the same space and more into the idea of how the wishes themselves could be tainted.

my favorite part of wixoss is when the wish granting character goes 'you can wish for anything. except time travel. that just makes things too complicated.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also ty everynyan

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I seem to remember Tokyo Mew Mew getting pretty dark later on in the series as well

Speaking of, the recent reboot seems alright so far. The first episode actually has more plot crammed into it than the original premiere did and makes some interesting changes like putting the girls in high school rather than middle school and having Mint be part of the group before Ichigo even gets her powers (meaning it's not a straight adaption of the manga)

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I think Madoka is a wonderful show and definitely inspired some stuff later on, I never understood why people act like it did any super twist on the Magical Girl genre. Ok, its not PreCure or whatever, but Utena is right there too.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the unhinged side of the magical girl darkness spectrum with MGRP, Site, Magical Girls of the End, Spec Ops Asuka etc

i would consider them just as much a product of Madoka's success as the more direct inspirations already mentioned + Granbelm. maybe i am off base bit it feels true even though the darkness has always been in the genre

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's truly the Evangelion of magical girls

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it's because Madoka is really good and a low time commitment to watch since it's only 12 episodes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Booky posted:

I think we can also include shows like Yuki Yuna Is a Hero which also has it's Major Twist. Qualia the Purple has an uh, an arc? A chapter? Where it dabbles. Day Break Illusion if I recall correctly also probably fits. Magical Girl Raising Project; right now the "despair" element (existentialism optional) is what probably sets a magical girl anime as being in the same sort of vein as Madoka.

While Symphogear can be kinda dark I kinda feel like its too generally up beat and hot blooded to fully fit, I think its more something that exists more because of Nanoha and would've existed regardless of Madoka.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think it's because Madoka is really good and a low time commitment to watch since it's only 12 episodes.

yea. Sailor Moon is a thing I'd like to watch someday just because of how important it is but it's too dang long! Meanwhile with Madoka I can pop all three movies over a weekend whenever I feel like revisiting it and get it all.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Srice posted:

yea. Sailor Moon is a thing I'd like to watch someday just because of how important it is but it's too dang long! Meanwhile with Madoka I can pop all three movies over a weekend whenever I feel like revisiting it and get it all.

The SM manga is probably the best way to go at this point. Crystal is... not good and the ori anime is probably not for anyone who didn't watch it 20 years ago.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Fwiw you can skip SuperS completely and miss nothing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

The SM manga is probably the best way to go at this point. Crystal is... not good and the ori anime is probably not for anyone who didn't watch it 20 years ago.

I dunno, I watched the 90’s series for the first time just a few years ago and had fun with it (in fact it’s probably my favorite incarnation of the franchise aside from the 2000’s live action series)

mycophobia posted:

Fwiw you can skip SuperS completely and miss nothing

Or if you must, read the manga version of that arc instead as it’s at least a little better paced (hell, it actually gives the other Sailors some proper focus for the first time since the original storyline)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 6, 2022

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

30 minute TV procedural stuff is historically tricky to adapting to TTRPG stuff. magical girl, sentai, rider stuff all just presents the problem of either trying to create play that just replicates episode structure and being boring or doing something else and getting too far away from the cool moments you get from the shows

the madoka-alikes tended to be more serialized, which i think makes them easier to work with. but really,

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's normie. That's why

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yeah I figure if nothing else I'll hit up the manga at some point. I'd certainly like to check out the original anime at some point but it's not happening anytime soon.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Larryb posted:

Although that isn't necessarily a sign of having a super dark work. Dragon Ball Z meanwhile, in its most lighthearted arc, has Buu genocide the entire planet(at the heroes' own insistence) and then follows it up by having Buu kill a good chunk of the heroes and their loved ones, too.

Dark is one of thosee terms everyone knows but few can precisely define. But I personally don't think "has characters dying" makes a work that dark. I think it has to have a consistent tone of hopelessness. A Song of Ice and Fire will always be my go-to example.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Thinking of watching Bakemonogatari in my lunch brraks. Good idea: Y/N?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fluffdaddy posted:

I think Madoka is a wonderful show and definitely inspired some stuff later on, I never understood why people act like it did any super twist on the Magical Girl genre. Ok, its not PreCure or whatever, but Utena is right there too.

I think it's because it hit at the right time to capture the attention of a large audience of teens and tweens where it was their first time experiencing a subversive take on the genre, and did it well.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The original SM anime I dunno it has its charm. And some really neat animation sequences/gags, like when every is like trying to hide behind someone in a comically absurd conga line while trying to stay out of sight.

I saw a tweet thread a few weeks back about how the different animators had really distinctive animation flourishes to the point you could tell who was in charge of animated which scene based on subtle differences in how the characters were drawn.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
haruhi fans and vtuber fans constitute a circular venn diagram

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the filler in Sailor Moon is largely charming and fun.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hello endorph how are you today

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

its good, has a low time commitment, and also Isnt Like Other Magical Girl Shows

sailor moon had a pretty dire rep in the early 2000s western anime fandom ol. it definitely had a big fanbase but also there were a ton of people who hated it and crapped on it every chance they got. you can find recent youtube videos calling it the worst anime ever made even. unsurprisingly nerds get insecure about a girly thing being popular. madoka was presented as directly in opposition to it in western fandom with terms like 'subversion' and 'destroying tropes' thrown around. ofc madoka isnt actually about that, its a commentary on morality and faustian bargain poo poo with magical girl trappings, but yknow how people get.

and madoka is a pretty smooth product all-in-all in that it takes the bones of two pretty popular things (kamen rider ryuki and nanoha) and strips out most of the fat.

no seriously madoka is literally just kamen rider ryuki.

Thirteen Rider Decks (カードデッキ, Raidā Dekki) were created for thirteen Kamen Riders. They form contracts with monsters from the mysterious Mirror World (ミラーワールド, Mirā Wārudo), a parallel dimension opposite to our own in which only the Kamen Riders can exist. The Riders draw on their monsters' strength in exchange for feeding them the life force of the creatures they destroy. The creator of the Advent Cards (アドベントカード, Adobento Kādo) has only one rule: that there can be only one Kamen Rider. The others must be killed, and the sole victor will be granted a single wish, which leads to a conflict known as the Rider War.

actually ig fate/stay night also ripped this off.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Roth posted:

Thinking of watching Bakemonogatari in my lunch brraks. Good idea: Y/N?

Absolutely.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Roth posted:

If nothing else the 90’s series actually gives the other characters not named UsagI (or later Chibiusa) stuff to do on a more regular basis

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

haruhi fans and vtuber fans constitute a circular venn diagram

How dare you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Roth posted:

90s sailor moon is the best form of the series, the only point it really drags is the early filler where its just usagi or just usagi and ami. usagi isnt that interesting when she only has luna to bounce off of and ami is too nice to really contrast much with her. the show picks up a lot when it introduces rei because rei can actually clash with usagi.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Roth posted:

I think there could stand to be a bit less while the entire team gets together (It's especially a bit of a drag at least until Rei is introduced) but yeah, I like that it gives things and characters room to breathe.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah the early parts can get a little tedious when it's just Usagi.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Booky posted:

it was popular enough to inspire a wave of gritty-and-grimdark magical girl shows, none of which was notable or memorable in any way

sailor moon has some dark parts to it, but it's also got plenty of the characters goofing around and having fun, with the dark moments reserved for the climax of an arc. madoka doesn't really have very much of that, after a couple eps it's just nonstop drama for the rest of the show

wb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fluffdaddy posted:

How dare you
the same side of the same coin: 2D friendship simulators for zero pussy nerds.

now if you don’t mind, i have to dust all my minmay figurines