Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, out of everyone

Ashe is the character who's changed the most between 3 Houses and 3 Hopes. While people like Sylvain or Ingrid mostly just lost their flaws and became boring, Ashe is actively almost the opposite person he was in 3 Houses and its incredibly bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I liked Ashe in SB, he’s guilty and conflicted about leaving the kingdom in a way that feels realistic. Normally FE recruits start chopping up their former allies without a second thought, so it was a nice change to see someone with more complicated feelings about it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Snake Maze posted:

I liked Ashe in SB, he’s guilty and conflicted about leaving the kingdom in a way that feels realistic. Normally FE recruits start chopping up their former allies without a second thought, so it was a nice change to see someone with more complicated feelings about it.

I appreciate how Mercie is like "As long as we don't have to kill Annette, I'm game."

https://twitter.com/norue67/status/1520587360093843456?lang=cs

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In Three Houses Lonato rebels while Ashe is still in school. Also pointedly Lonato does not rebel against the Kingdom, he just raises a small host and starts beelining for the Monastery to get his revenge on the Church. The conflict for Ashe is entirely a personal one and he gets told multiple times he could and should sit this one out, but he insists on coming along at least on AM because he feels he needs to confront Lonato.

Meanwhile in Three Hopes Lonato rebels against the Kingdom, of which Ashe has since become a knight and personal retainer of King Dimitri. It's no longer just a personal tragedy: Ashe has a societal obligation to march out and directly assist with killing his father figure, and is put in a position where upholding his ideal of knighthood - the noble warrior who fights against evil and lays down their life for king and country - means doing so. If you recruit him on SB, he forsakes his ideals in exchange for Lonato's safety, but this basically breaks him as a person because he threw away his friends, country, and ideals of chivalry in the process. IMO it's honestly the best way a character reacts to being recruited away since Felix in CF, where it actually creates a genuine conflict in them that results in them coming out the other end a changed person, and not always for the better.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Snake Maze posted:

I mean that’s more realistic to medieval politics than fire emblem tends to be.

It’s literally nothing personal

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The funniest recruit on SB is Shamir because you recruit her by promising to let Catherine live. Catherine then has to die on the last level. :aloom:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eimi posted:

I appreciate how Mercie is like "As long as we don't have to kill Annette, I'm game."

I killed Annette in my playthrough because I didn't realize you could save her. After at the base Mercedes is crying in a corner of the chapel and if you try to talk to her she gets about as close as Mercedes can possibly get to just straight telling you to gently caress off and leave her alone. :smith:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sydin posted:

I killed Annette in my playthrough because I didn't realize you could save her. After at the base Mercedes is crying in a corner of the chapel and if you try to talk to her she gets about as close as Mercedes can possibly get to just straight telling you to gently caress off and leave her alone. :smith:

gently caress that's heart breaking. I'm glad my completionist tendencies meant I had the correct tactic.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah ngl I was totally angling to kill Annette just so I could steal her hammer and then never use it, which turned out to be the way you spare her, and still gets you the hammer! Felt kind of like a bad guy, but I lied to Mercedes and said that was my plan all along and she was very happy with that, which made me feel better.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah but can edelgard crush a man’s skull with her bare hands? Check and mate :colbert:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I had Mercie deliver the killing blow.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RoyalScion posted:

Yeah but can edelgard crush a man’s skull with her bare hands? Check and mate :colbert:

if girls were allowed to be brawlers, probably!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Augus posted:

if girls were allowed to be brawlers, probably!

Where's war cleric dammit :argh:
Or dark flier but that one would be less unique in a musou compared to standard mages.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
In Three Houses I saw Edelgard tear a dragon to shreds with her bare hands, pretty sure she can handle some measly mens' skulls.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Edelgard is an anagram for Edgelard

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Basically every optional recruit on Golden Wildfire except for Balthus feels enormously out of place and tacked on. You kidnap basically all of them at swordpoint and there's no logical or personal reason why they should be fighting on your side at all beyond "please don't kill me".

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s weird that it’s a huge recurring topic in supports and other dialogue that Dimitris crest makes him the Incredible Hulk. Crushing skulls through helmets, Lifting carriages one handed, biologically incapable of sewing, shatters weapons just by using them etc. And it sells the idea that Crests are game changers in war. But we never get anything like that from any other crest bearer. Linhardt is like “I guess I’m a little better at magic” but no one is superhuman like Dimitri.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

galagazombie posted:

It’s weird that it’s a huge recurring topic in supports and other dialogue that Dimitris crest makes him the Incredible Hulk. Crushing skulls through helmets, Lifting carriages one handed, biologically incapable of sewing, shatters weapons just by using them etc. And it sells the idea that Crests are game changers in war. But we never get anything like that from any other crest bearer. Linhardt is like “I guess I’m a little better at magic” but no one is superhuman like Dimitri.

You get it with Hilda.

When she goes toe to toe with Dimitri.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If anything it's a touch inconsistent. Catherine has a major crest and is a one woman wrecking ball, Jeralt likewise is a first generation crest-bearer is essentially mythologized as the greatest warrior the knights ever saw past or present, Hilda's crest basically makes her Holst-lite even though she barely ever bothers training, Lysithia is stated both in dialogue and shown in game to be an absurdly powerful mage who blows out wizened career spellcasters despite being in her mid-teens, etc.

But then you've got Sylvain, Linhardt, Ingrid, etc who are just kinda there and you never really get the sense they have crest super powers like the others.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sydin posted:

If anything it's a touch inconsistent. Catherine has a major crest and is a one woman wrecking ball, Jeralt likewise is a first generation crest-bearer is essentially mythologized as the greatest warrior the knights ever saw past or present, Hilda's crest basically makes her Holst-lite even though she barely ever bothers training, Lysithia is stated both in dialogue and shown in game to be an absurdly powerful mage who blows out wizened career spellcasters despite being in her mid-teens, etc.

But then you've got Sylvain, Linhardt, Ingrid, etc who are just kinda there and you never really get the sense they have crest super powers like the others.

Lin is super-humanly lazy, Sylvain is the greatest flirt the world has ever known and every bit of Ingrid’s crest power is being used to tamp down her barely latent homosexuality

Not every crest is a war thing

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I've always liked this post that goes into how the crests influence the holders personality. https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/d7iji7/the_influence_of_crests_the_crests_are_to_blame/
Lin is an extremely gifted healer and he hates violence, just like Flayn.
Indech, like Bernadetta, preferred solitude and was incredibly skilled with his hands.
Multiple crest holders love sweets to an incredible degree, because holding a crest makes you prefer them.
On one hand I would've liked to see a game where crest holders are that far above non crest holders, but I do prefer the current game where people are much more equal mechanically.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also Ferdinand comes from a family of rotten tyrants, yet is the most forthright, earnest and upstanding dude there is, whose one fault is an overbearing attitude that tends to lead to bad first impressions. And he just happens to have the same crest as Caspar's dad.

Eimi posted:

On one hand I would've liked to see a game where crest holders are that far above non crest holders, but I do prefer the current game where people are much more equal mechanically.

I mean we already got basically that in Descent of Jihad; units without Holy Blood were perfectly adequate, but they could never hold a candle to the likes of Lewyn, Altena or Shannan, who had both way better stats and insanely overpowered unique weapons. I kind of prefer when all characters are mechanically viable.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 6, 2022

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I would have liked it if they made crests a bit stronger (and, more importantly, more interesting and thematic), since they're so important to the setting. Put them on the level of a good personal skill, at least.

As it is the gameplay/story divide is huge, because in the narrative having a crest is a big loving deal that nobles arrange marriage for and the slytherers do all sorts of experiments over, but then in gameplay it's "2.5% chance to save 3 durability when using a weapon art" or something completely unnoticeable. They don't need to be game breaking or anything but ideally you'd care about their existence.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Snake Maze posted:

I would have liked it if they made crests a bit stronger (and, more importantly, more interesting and thematic), since they're so important to the setting. Put them on the level of a good personal skill, at least.

As it is the gameplay/story divide is huge, because in the narrative having a crest is a big loving deal that nobles arrange marriage for and the slytherers do all sorts of experiments over, but then in gameplay it's "2.5% chance to save 3 durability when using a weapon art" or something completely unnoticeable. They don't need to be game breaking or anything but ideally you'd care about their existence.

Yeah if it was personal skill level, or even just....100% of the time or something where you notice it but someone without it is still viable because they'd just be a focused type of thing.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also Ferdinand comes from a family of rotten tyrants, yet is the most forthright, earnest and upstanding dude there is, whose one fault is an overbearing attitude that tends to lead to bad first impressions. And he just happens to have the same crest as Caspar's dad.

I mean we already got basically that in Descent of Jihad; units without Holy Blood were perfectly adequate, but they could never hold a candle to the likes of Lewyn, Altena or Shannan, who had both way better stats and insanely overpowered unique weapons. I kind of prefer when all characters are mechanically viable.

Yeah I was also gonna say just Genealogy in general. :v:

Also important that Ferdinand's crest is Seteth's. Which actually I somehow never squared that circle before and that perfectly explains how he is how he is despite his dad being the worst.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Snake Maze posted:

Even a minor do-nothing Crest can unlock the corresponding relic, and IIRC the relics are a "swings the course of a battle" kind of thing, storywise.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
"Multiple crest holders love sweets to an incredible degree, because holding a crest makes you prefer them."

I'd have thought that was just 'burning a lot of energy'.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Khizan posted:

Even a minor do-nothing Crest can unlock the corresponding relic, and IIRC the relics are a "swings the course of a battle" kind of thing, storywise.

That's true, and the relics definitely do a better job of being a big deal in gameplay, but in the narrative the crests are also supposed to be a big deal on their own and not just as a relic key. In practice I don't think I ever cared what crest someone had or if it was major or minor because the effects were either so minor as to be insignificant, so rare that you'd never gamble on them, or both.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Bloodly posted:

"Multiple crest holders love sweets to an incredible degree, because holding a crest makes you prefer them."

I'd have thought that was just 'burning a lot of energy'.

Not sure how much energy Linhardt, Constance and Lysithea are burning. Or are you suggesting the best cardio in the three houses universe is casting magic? :hmmyes:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Imagine if Raphael had a crest that made him even hungrier. He'd be unstoppable

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Am I the only one here who likes the Blue Lions? All this dumping on AG is really bumming me out :smith:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Eimi posted:

I've always liked this post that goes into how the crests influence the holders personality. https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/d7iji7/the_influence_of_crests_the_crests_are_to_blame/
Lin is an extremely gifted healer and he hates violence, just like Flayn.
Indech, like Bernadetta, preferred solitude and was incredibly skilled with his hands.
Multiple crest holders love sweets to an incredible degree, because holding a crest makes you prefer them.

i think its way cooler for the crests to not really influence someone's personality, just their abilities, because that starts leaning into some weird magical charisma brain Stuff real quickly (especially with edelgard, as stated in that post)

anyways im looking forward to doing claudes route in this game when i finish 3 houses 15 years from now

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Not sure how much energy Linhardt, Constance and Lysithea are burning. Or are you suggesting the best cardio in the three houses universe is casting magic? :hmmyes:

It does burn energy, and Lysithea with her two crests and crazy magic output is by far the most sweets obsessed character in the game.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Deltasquid posted:

Linhardt sure, but Lysithea is constantly burning the candle at both ends because she knows she doesn’t have a lot of time, and you can’t tell me that Mad-Scientist-Constance doesn’t burn a the midnight oil every night on her projects.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Eimi posted:

Also important that Ferdinand's crest is Seteth's. Which actually I somehow never squared that circle before and that perfectly explains how he is how he is despite his dad being the worst.

Oh that's what I was actually implying, but I was gonna lead to a joke about how horny Ferdinand and Flayn's support that is and how weird the context makes it, and randomly remembered noticing that Leopold had the same crest and thought the swerve would be funnier.

Deltasquid posted:

Coco and Lys are literally working themselves to exhaustion on a regular basis, and Lys is slated to die in her twenties because her crests are killing her.

Oddball is exhausted all the time, and happens to bear the crest of someone who slept for a whole dang millenium in order to survive.

They're some of the strongest cases for crests influencing people.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Am I the only one here who likes the Blue Lions? All this dumping on AG is really bumming me out :smith:

I like most of them, Dedue, Felix, Annette and Mercedes are good people, and Dimitri is a good kid when he's not doing geopolitics. I just don't like the plots that revolve around them.

Booky posted:

i think its way cooler for the crests to not really influence someone's personality, just their abilities, because that starts leaning into some weird magical charisma brain Stuff real quickly (especially with edelgard, as stated in that post)

Yeah I'm not a fan of the supernatural determinism angle, but I think it's hard to claim that there isn't at least some degree of influence that was intended by the writers.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 6, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SgtSteel91 posted:

They have playable Flayn and the other routes do not. Therefore they have the best route.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Eimi posted:

I really hope that the next mainline game keeps that focus on the political nitty gritty, on making the protagonists grey, and ultimately having your actions be kind of messy. If there's one element I love out of Houses (aside from the gay), it's that.
one reason i love radiant dawn, despite it having a fair amount of bullshit, is that it opens with "hey, so, turns out that deposing of the mad king and letting the neighboring empire take over the country didn't make everything magically better. dammit." Daein is hosed and all the civilians hate the other countries, Begnion is staffed by assholes, Elincia has to try and corral her own government's assholes while heading off a potential coup, and Ike has decided he is officially not smart enough to deal with politics and has hosed off to practice his Guts impression in the woods

Deltasquid posted:

"As in all things, this is for Lady Edelgard" Hubert yells, as he throws a folding chair into the ring

Eimi posted:

https://twitter.com/norue67/status/1520587360093843456?lang=cs
:allears:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They have playable Flayn and the other routes do not. Therefore they have the best route.

But you don't have Count Bergliez on your side.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

Frankly it's just disappointing that Koei and Intsys listened to the fools and trolls that said Dimitri becoming an insane beserker that hallucinates the voices of the dead telling him to brutally murder all his enemies was dumb and bad when actually it was very good and cool.

A Dimitri that doesn't go full Boarman just ain't my guy.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hunt11 posted:

Or Holst.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Frankly it's just disappointing that Koei and Intsys listened to the fools and trolls that said Dimitri becoming an insane beserker that hallucinates the voices of the dead telling him to brutally murder all his enemies was dumb and bad when actually it was very good and cool.

A Dimitri that doesn't go full Boarman just ain't my guy.

Initially they couldn't find the balance between batshit insane and sympathetic.

Then they couldn't find the balance between sympathetic and interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hunt11 posted:

Oh, it's a difficult choice to be sure but having a Flayn is better than not having a Flayn.