Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

CharlestonJew posted:

You can basically become a ninja in this setting with enough training, but then I'd imagine that "ninja with a gun" would also be extremely effective, so the question of "why don't dudes just use guns" remains

Because guns are for villains, the only hero who uses a gun explicitly is capable of "perfect" non-lethal shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean, Lady Nagant proved that even current level Deku can have trouble against a single good sniper with a mobility tool/quirk.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm getting grognard-y "why do the heroes not simply shoot the villains with their bullets" vibes from this conversation. I know that's not all it is, but it's funny.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Scholtz posted:

AfO is a interesting dilemma with regards to imprisonment.

He's functionally immortal, and way past the life expectancy of an average quirkless person.

At what point is the burden of imprisoning him too great on society to justify keeping him alive? Or not actively executing him? Especially since that "immortality" was gained through criminal means, at the direct and violent expense of other people.

Yeah considering Endeavor and Hawks have been explicitly trying to kill him I don't think they intend to bring him back alive.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

CharlestonJew posted:

You can basically become a ninja in this setting with enough training, but then I'd imagine that "ninja with a gun" would also be extremely effective, so the question of "why don't dudes just use guns" remains

Isn't there a hero whose quirk is "is a ninja"? give that guy a gun.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

CharlestonJew posted:

so the question of "why don't dudes just use guns" remains

Because this is a Spider-Man story, not a Punisher story. Heroes just straight-up shooting to kill seems tonally off for this series. IMO, guns are also just less interesting than playing around with wacky superpowers.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Because guns are for villains, the only hero who uses a gun explicitly is capable of "perfect" non-lethal shooting.

People already have issues with superheroes being ordered or forced into killing people (see the discussions on Hawks and Nagant), so I don't think adding explicitly lethal equipment would be received well in-thread or in-story. Given that heroes have already been compared to cops in this thread, I'm surprised to see people being gung-ho about arming them with firearms and outright turning everyone into government assassins.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GruntMountain posted:

IMO, guns are also just less interesting than playing around with wacky superpowers.

I agree in general but it's not like Horikoshi really does anything wacky with his superpowers. The AFO fight was Fast Punch, Sound Punch, Shadow Punch, Fire Punch x2. JoJo this ain't.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

GruntMountain posted:

Because this is a Spider-Man story, not a Punisher story. Heroes just straight-up shooting to kill seems tonally off for this series. IMO, guns are also just less interesting than playing around with wacky superpowers.

People already have issues with superheroes being ordered or forced into killing people (see the discussions on Hawks and Nagant), so I don't think adding explicitly lethal equipment would be received well in-thread or in-story. Given that heroes have already been compared to cops in this thread, I'm surprised to see people being gung-ho about arming them with firearms and outright turning everyone into government assassins.

They are explicitly trying to kill Shigaraki and AFO.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Kanos posted:

They are explicitly trying to kill Shigaraki and AFO.

They are now. I was under the impression that the thread was talking about using guns as a normal thing rather than a last resort.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, guns are loving boring, come on.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Why do the heroes simply not slice Shigaraki in two using a sword?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
due to budget cuts, UA students cannot study the blade

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

due to budget cuts, UA students cannot study the blade

Now what is Eri supposed to do with her Christmas gift. :smith:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

I agree in general but it's not like Horikoshi really does anything wacky with his superpowers. The AFO fight was Fast Punch, Sound Punch, Shadow Punch, Fire Punch x2. JoJo this ain't.

Yeah, they show up in a panel or two. You've got manga kid forming a barricade that nobody in 1-A could destroy, Mirio, Suneater, the Villain Alliance developing the second tier of their powers.

There's a few good nuggets here and there.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

RatHat posted:

Yeah considering Endeavor and Hawks have been explicitly trying to kill him I don't think they intend to bring him back alive.

I'm more questioning why AfO was kept alive and imprisoned in the first place

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Arist posted:

Equilibrium was badass

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

GruntMountain posted:

They are now. I was under the impression that the thread was talking about using guns as a normal thing rather than a last resort.

The gun talk started with someone pointing out that if Bakugo's power was effective on Shigaraki, normal weapons logically would be too, which then led to me wondering that if that's the case why there hasn't been any kind of military response to the villains destroying Japan, which led to gun chat. It's specifically in reference to the current fight, where the heroes are 100% trying to kill the villains because the villains are going to literally destroy Japan if they aren't stopped.

Arist posted:

"Realistic" guns where someone gets shot by someone from out of nowhere and falls over and dies immediately are boring, but fictional gunfights can be extremely awesome.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My point is, even if Horikoshi is bad at writing compelling and dynamic superpowered fights, "everyone shoots the bad guy with guns" is a bad and boring direction to take the superhero manga.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I brought up JoJo earlier but honestly now that I think about it, I've enjoyed pretty much every gunfight in the JoJo series. Both the actual guns and the Stand guns.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

But we could've been saved from so much of the manga if instead of All Might punching him, AFO just got blown up by a pair of fighter jets.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Arist posted:

My point is, even if Horikoshi is bad at writing compelling and dynamic superpowered fights, "everyone shoots the bad guy with guns" is a bad and boring direction to take the superhero manga.

We just had a big awesome splash panel where a hero pulls out a ton of guns and shoots the gently caress out of the villain with them. Them being loaded with bomb sweat instead of rockets doesn't make them not guns when the function and result is identical.

RareAcumen posted:

But we could've been saved from so much of the manga if instead of All Might punching him, AFO just got blown up by a pair of fighter jets.

Ironically, the manga showed why this specific solution doesn't work!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

We just had a big awesome splash panel where a hero pulls out a ton of guns and shoots the gently caress out of the villain with them. Them being loaded with bomb sweat instead of rockets doesn't make them not guns when the function and result is identical.

Ironically, the manga showed why this specific solution doesn't work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPW-RdzStA&t=325s

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kanos posted:

No, it honestly really does change things, because it's an application of superpowers in a superhero manga. You're missing the point to an absurd degree here.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If Hatsume Mei came out in a War Machine suit and started blasting, you'd all lose your poo poo.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It's so boring when Knuckleduster punches because he doesn't actually have super strength.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
They should have built AfO's prison inside a volcano or something. If the lava can't kill him maybe after long enough he'll die from hunger or w/e

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Scholtz posted:

I'm more questioning why AfO was kept alive and imprisoned in the first place

It's been forever but I think they claim they aren't even sure what can kill him? But uh, he's hooked up to life support if I'm not mistaken. Just unhook it and wait.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I brought up JoJo earlier but honestly now that I think about it, I've enjoyed pretty much every gunfight in the JoJo series. Both the actual guns and the Stand guns.

Well in Jojo, you're just as likely to end up shooting yourself as you are the guy you're fighting.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

oh jay posted:

It's so boring when Knuckleduster punches because he doesn't actually have super strength.

He's punching basic dudes 'roiding out at street level, compared to the upper elites of MHA slugging it out in the sky with glorified god powers, so it works narratively

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Arist posted:

No, it honestly really does change things, because it's an application of superpowers in a superhero manga. You're missing the point to an absurd degree here.

There's tons of superheroes who use guns and stuff extremely like them and they're still doing superhero things in traditional superhero comics without being gritty Punisher knockoffs. Iron Man's entire powerset is guns and beams and missiles, and Star Lord and Rocket Raccoon are basically just gunmen.

Hell, the one cool thing Stars and Stripes did was to use her power to gently caress with how the laser guns being fired by her allies worked to try to kill Shigaraki.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Instead of using their fun superpowers, everyone should have a gun" is like something an alien would write, I feel like I'm losing my mind even having to argue this.

e: what do you think the appeal of this setting and characters are supposed to be? It's not "shoot the bad guy."

Also, this is Japan, there aren't a lot of guns to go around, generally.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
People bringing up Mustard being very dangerous with just a gun are forgetting that he also had the ability to perfectly pinpoint where anyone in his smoke is at any time and the moment Kendo blew the gas away, Tetsutetsu smashed his face in.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Superpowers are fun because the type and application of them can speak to the core character behind them. Even characters without superpowers who use armaments, like Iron Man, have those armaments reflect some aspect of their character. Iron Man built those weapons, so it's cool to see him use them as they're a reflection of his intellect, and even characters that don't build their own arsenal have other tricks like cunning or unusual skills.

What you're proposing is that everyone should just load up with standard-issue firearms and start shooting the villain. I'm having trouble thinking of anything potentially more boring to watch. It's bullshit tactical realism. Again, grognard poo poo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Arist posted:

"Instead of using their fun superpowers, everyone should have a gun" is like something an alien would write, I feel like I'm losing my mind even having to argue this.

e: what do you think the appeal of this setting and characters are supposed to be? It's not "shoot the bad guy."

Also, this is Japan, there aren't a lot of guns to go around, generally.

Christ, I never said "everyone should just use guns and shoot the villains to death and that's the end". The whole discussion came from someone saying "if Bakugo's explosions work on Shigaraki, normal weapons should too" and then I mused about where the hell the JSDF were because this is a setting that has established that guns do work and are a threat to many people with superpowers unless you have a superpower that specifically counters them. It's idle speculation about an inconsistency in the setting and world building, not a demand that Horikoshi have a SWAT team roll in and shoot Toga to death or something.

Lots of superhero and shonen settings make it clear that guns do nothing so they're a non-factor. Nobody asks why nobody shoots Superman's villains to death with rifles because it's established fact that he's operating on a different level. Goku doesn't care about guns because Toriyama literally opened the series with Bulma shooting him and he got vaguely annoyed. Other superhero and shonen settings make guns a threat. One Piece has major characters die from getting shot. Spiderman is extremely vulnerable to bullets if he's put in a position where he can't avoid them. Vigilantes, in *this universe that My Hero Academia is taking place in*, has the main villain be seriously disrupted by a rifle shot.

It's simply a discussion about "Huh, it's weird that MHA has established that guns and other conventional weapons are extremely dangerous but also has people not using them in moments of extreme desperation", not a demand for the NRA to take over ghost writing. Get over yourself.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 6, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

"why don't they just use guns" isn't really a broad critique here so much as a specific question regarding the insanely specific setup horikoshi created for the whole shigaraki fight, and it wouldn't even really be a question if 1) anything, like anything at all, was clear to the reader about the current state of society or how it operates and 2) the story hadn't literally already introduced the prospect of using military hardware against shigaraki earlier and concluded that it wasn't viable because of his regeneration quirk, which makes the logical step to "if he has no quirk* what about more gun" pretty easy.

*lmao

the cleanest answer imo is that horikoshi is just trying to get to the end, doesn't really care about how hero society works except in the broadest strokes, and has never really been super interested in questions like "is there a military". the fight setup raises a lot of questions about how they're executing it because it literally isn't meant to do anything except delay tomura with recognizable second stringers on the way to the big finale, and consequently doesn't look anything like a plan to actually stop shigaraki. neither the question or the answer have anything to do with "would this story be better with guns (which it already has)".

Valentin fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 6, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We're talking past each other. I don't feel like "this spinoff written by a different person established guns as viable" makes that much sense as an argument, especially when you consider the radically different scales MHA and Vigilantes operate on.

Fundamentally, the answer to "why aren't they using guns" is the thing I originally said: they're more boring than superpowers. That's not a diegetic answer, no, but it's the one that matters.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Arist posted:

We're talking past each other. I don't feel like "this spinoff written by a different person established guns as viable" makes that much sense as an argument, especially when you consider the radically different scales MHA and Vigilantes operate on.

Fundamentally, the answer to "why aren't they using guns" is the thing I originally said: they're more boring than superpowers. That's not a diegetic answer, no, but it's the one that matters.

The spinoff was, presumably, vetted and approved by Horikoshi.

The scale is another thing that is, itself, extremely mushy, because the story is having heroes simultaneously fighting invincible Superman-level demigods like AFO and Shigaraki and also fighting people like Toga and Spinner who are basically Spiderman or Batman-tier street villains who are operating on close to human power levels. Twice got killed by being stabbed with a sharp object, and his last act alive before his clones melted was to stab a hero to death with a sharp object.

For the latter, I guess this is an agree to disagree thing, because there's tons of incredibly popular gun using superheroes who do superhero things besides "shoot man in head".

Kanos fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 6, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

there are even literally superheroes with guns in this superhero comic. in fact this whole conversation started because a character put a thing on to turn his superpower INTO gun.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Valentin posted:

there are even literally superheroes with guns in this superhero comic. in fact this whole conversation started because a character put a thing on to turn his superpower INTO gun.

Those guns don't count because despite being mechanical constructions attached to Bakugo's costume that look and operate exactly like guns, they're technically loaded with invisible exploding sweat instead of grenades or other explosives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Regarding the specific question of 'If Bakugo's explosions are effective, why not use real weapons?', well Bakugo's explosions actually weren't effective until he power-levelled off-screen and got this crazy support-item. He blasted Shiggy straight in the face and all it did was knock his hand off, zero damage. In the war, he used his strongest attacks on Shiggy who outright made fun of them for being too weak for him to care about. So normal explosions don't necessarily cut it.