Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
0079 had its low points but it didn't have Rosamia Badam and the general vibe the cybernewtype crap added to the franchise.

I've never liked the addition of cybernewtypes--felt like trying to course correct the science fantasy of newtypes with grimdark evil genius tech shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

0079 is very much a janky kids show at times but I really like how it treats war. It's both a horrible tragedy and also completely absurd, and I think Tomino at his best combines the two well. Plus the younger/older generation theme remains extremely relevant.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

0079 is very much a janky kids show at times but I really like how it treats war. It's both a horrible tragedy and also completely absurd, and I think Tomino at his best combines the two well. Plus the younger/older generation theme remains extremely relevant.

I like how matter of fact death is, as well. People die constantly and just like in war, there is no time to really reflect on it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

"Humans will get psychic powers to Understand one another"
the whole point is that it doesnt actually lead to understanding tho

char and amuro both have newtype powers and all it does is further their blood feud

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i like cyber newtypes because its scifiy but in a more like dystopian way, and also it just sounds Cool

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

0079 was a good start but it simply does not kill off enough women

More and more people have been saying this

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Oh yeah I wouldn't say at all that's the only approach, I'm assuming we're mainly discussing how a "dark" work interacts and contextualizes character death. Like many Fromsoft games are pretty dark and bleak but character death doesn't really define why they are.

Gotcha, that makes sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gundam was made in the 70s which is peak new-age sci-fi bullshit and there were a bunch of other sci-fi manga/anime that were all about how we'd awaken our third eyes and reunite with zetu or whatever, 0079 had the newtype powers and then went 'i mean everyoned still go to war tho.' newtypes are immediately turned into a weapon of war. even in 0079 itself, lalah is used to pilot the elmeth because of her newtype powers, and she dies because of it. lalah represents all the hippy flower crown possibilities of newtypes and she gets murked. this isnt really subtle symbolism.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
in 1979, every SF franchise had to have its own version of Jedis and lightsabers

also it’s incredible that Tomino managed to hold off on Zeta for half a decade, and nearly three years after the last 0079 compilation movie. dude really got to take his sweet-rear end time

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

o yea doesn't newtypes later being mass produced (artificially) also tie into the whole 'newtypes Could be mega-understanding and help peace but are used as weapons of war' bit in later gundams

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

char and amuro both have newtype powers and all it does is further their blood feud

That's a larger trend in UC, though. In 0079 itself, at least in my memory, it ends with the aforementioned orphans all becoming Newtypes. Am I remembering that right? The point is that the children and Newtypes are our future.

There's a reason I brought up Victory. I've never seen it but by all accounts it was extremely mean-spirited and even Tomino regrets it. Tomino's mood definitely varied from show to show and so some are more optimistic than others. I never got the feeling 0079 was "war...war never changes." Those kids, the Newtypes, they represented change and a potential for a better future.

But maybe I'm remembering wrong, it's been a long time since my one an only watch in 2014.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

homeless snail posted:

hmm... going to need to get a second opinion. where's stair

i never bought it cause i heard it was bad

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i feel like you have a very incorrect mental image of me snail

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

in 1979, every SF franchise had to have its own version of Jedis and lightsabers

also it’s incredible that Tomino managed to hold off on Zeta for half a decade, and nearly three years after the last 0079 compilation movie. dude really got to take his sweet-rear end time

See, I didn't think he "held off." I always heard the TV show bombed and the compilation movies were what made it popular enough to warrant a sequel in Zeta.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

there wasnt a plan for a sequel to gundam thats why it has a happy ending unlike every other uc show

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

Try not to get irritated when there is constantly a flexatone going off in your ear.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
based on my in-depth research of reading Gundam Sousei twice, the TV series did okay and developed a cult following, but the movies did way better

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

See, I didn't think he "held off." I always heard the TV show bombed and the compilation movies were what made it popular enough to warrant a sequel in Zeta.

Sorta of...The show and toys bombed and the show was rushed/canceled cause of it. However it started to get a cult following and got traded around on VHS among the fanbase that it grew in popularity. Also Bandai took over the toys and went with model kits that sold really well

That led up to compilation movies which had a built in fan base and whelp they came out to support it/it made new fans and the rest is history

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

On a rewatch Zeta actually feels more aimless than 0079 and Zeta's highs come with some really dire lows (everything involving cybernewtypes). 0079 is clearly rougher on a lot of levels but has a lot more to say about war and the people trying to survive it. Also how much sodium you need in your diet in order to remain at top operational effectiveness.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A lot of that is that the original toys just weren't very good, and then when Bandai came in later in the show, Gunpla became really popular, which caused people to check out the series in reruns and the movies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the original tv series was also a kids toy commercial that aired at 5:30 PM on a sturday. that isnt a death slot or anything but there's a reason 'saturday *morning*' is the primetime slot. in the afternoon kids are often eating dinner or doing chores or whatever, or they're going somewhere with their family. the morning is better because tehyve woken up and have nothing to do, and their parents are probably still waking up too so they dont really care if the kid is glued to the tv for a bit. also in japan, especially in the 70s, 'only one tv in the living room' was really common and usually the parents would have control over that. gently caress your robots son, dad's got 5000 yen on the hanshin tigers.

an extremely important note also is that the cult fanbase it garnered was mostly adult women who wanted amuro and char to make out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hey guys what's goin on in this thread

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

an extremely important note also is that the cult fanbase it garnered was mostly adult women who wanted amuro and char to make out.

thank you gundam, and star trek, for paving the way

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

hey guys what's goin on in this thread

Endorph is back, Hatsune Miku is a vtuber and magical girl shows hogged the sunday morning timeslots.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Good to see you posting again, Endorph

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
gundam is good but they need to stop making UC stuff

by this point they've packed that timeline so full of wars, WMDs, and mass genocides, it's a miracle there's anyone left to tragically massacre in the background of their toy commercial

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Vizuyos posted:

by this point they've packed that timeline so full of wars, WMDs, and mass genocides, it's a miracle there's anyone left to tragically massacre in the background of their toy commercial

They need to do another absurd spinoff like G Gundam.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

hbag posted:

never heard of any of those

Not surprising. If you don't play TRPGs, you'd never hear of them.

Princess The Hopeful is a game based on the popular Chronicles/World of Darkness line that tries to intergrate all of mahou shoujo into it using Madoka and Sailor Nothing as a guide. It actually predates Madoka by about five years but is technically endless in production. Magical Burst is a tactical game based on 4e D&D inspired by Madoka. Magical Fury is from the same creator but is a looser, narrative focused game with the same concept. There might be more. Honestly, the only "happy" magical girl games I find are LGBTQA+ ones like Glitter Heart. Which is actually fine, but it's strange they're the only ones.

Sakurazuka posted:

Sailor Moon is a dark magical girl show

You know? I never watched it. I only ever saw Cardcaptor Sakura as a kid.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think as a genre Magical Girl has always been evolving/changing with various shows making changes to the formula. Nanoha afaik introduced much more Shonen Battle style action; or at least popularized it; and Madoka opened up the formula for much darker (and edgier) story, world building, consequences and stakes. So now it makes perfect sense to have a premise like I dunno, "What if Call of Cthulu but with Magical Girls?" and it would make sense now because Madoka popularized Magical Girl story telling with much darker themes and this tends to be much more popular among the tabletop rpg crowd I imagine.

Yeah, it's probably just the case that tabletop people latched onto darker themes and ran with it. After all, this is the hobby that called the "Book Of Nine Swords," a book of how martial (stabby guys) can do cool things the "Weabo Book Of Sword Anime Magic" as an insult. So, the girly mahou shoujo stuff probably didn't appeal until the dark stuff came. I mean, as I said, Princess: The Hopeful predates Madoka and is really based on Sailor Nothing. And that would also explain why most happy mahou shoujo stuff is LGBTQA+ since that is a group I belong to and find is usually more open with being seen as nonconforming.

secretly best girl posted:

I think a very specific type of broken brain latched onto Madoka for a variety of reasons and I'm not just saying this because of an ex who really really wants to be post-Rebellion Homura to the point of spending years trying to create a cult of magical girls and abusive relationships because "it's what Homura would want"!

Alternatively, "it's normie" works real well just like most Urobuchi stuff

What the actual gently caress?

dogsicle posted:

the dark magical girl stuff has blown up further than ~3 series (not to take your post too literally), and you can maybe assume the trend also caused people to look back and see the dark elements in older shows too. so i guess ttrpgs having a genre trend doesn't seem that off to me when it's definitely a thing in manga/anime even recently.

I only know about Madoka, a show with a lot of blood that I don't know the name of, and...not sure of the third one.

Endorph posted:

also madoka is extremely influential but the darkness has always been a part of the magical girl genre. ofc i wouldnt be surprised if tabletop RPGs went way overboard on it but thats just the clumsy writing inherent to amateur TTRPGs.

one of the earliest magical girl shows was a little mermaid inspired one where the mermaid girl on land deals with insane poo poo like child trafficking and discrimination against immigrants. they avert the seafoam ending but she has to give up her connection to the sea completely complete with an implication that she forgets her father ever existed.

though all that ending drama, while good, is kicked off by her boyfriend being attacked by a gorilla that escaped from a zoo so im not sure if that adds or subtracts to it

You can't say all that without saying the name.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I think Madoka is a wonderful show and definitely inspired some stuff later on, I never understood why people act like it did any super twist on the Magical Girl genre. Ok, its not PreCure or whatever, but Utena is right there too.

Utena doesn't get a lot of rep in trpgs, from what I seen. There might be a few itch.io ones, but the only one I ever saw that mentioned it was "Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine" and only as an explanation for the style of gameplay where things are surreal, reality can bend, and metaphors are true.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vizuyos posted:

Give me my Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop anime already.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well their next show is Gundams in High School and hopefully corporate warfare.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
To post back on topic (anime), I've been watching this pretty cool anime horror VN short thing on YouTube called ERROR. It's short episodes that come out pretty regularly for the last few months, one dropped today and another comes out Friday. If you like horror anime or horror VNs I'd check it out!

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
the Bastard!! remake owns even if parts of it haven't aged very well

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah that's fun, it's hilarious every time Dark Schneider makes his clothes appear and then he does nothing to defend his clothes and ends up naked. A lot.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

based on the 500-tweet thread i saw about how they drew yoko's prison clothes wrong, agreed. we must return to the 80s

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

gundam was made in the 70s which is peak new-age sci-fi bullshit and there were a bunch of other sci-fi manga/anime that were all about how we'd awaken our third eyes and reunite with zetu or whatever, 0079 had the newtype powers and then went 'i mean everyoned still go to war tho.' newtypes are immediately turned into a weapon of war. even in 0079 itself, lalah is used to pilot the elmeth because of her newtype powers, and she dies because of it. lalah represents all the hippy flower crown possibilities of newtypes and she gets murked. this isnt really subtle symbolism.
Yeah. It really just compounds the tragedy that the newtypes can fully understand each other's humanity and yet still have to fight to the death due to conflict created by others.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

amuro and char smoochin is better zeta-on tbh

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I remember the Newtype magazine.

I never subscribed to it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I can sorta of see why TTRPG's would be into Madoka as a game besides being into Dark setting as having players try to work the whole Greif Seed/Witch dynamic would seem like it'd lead to some potentially interesting mechanics

Though Nanoha and Symphogear would 100% better settings

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

AlternateNu posted:

I remember the Newtype magazine.

I never subscribed to it.

I used to subscribe to it. The biggest I remember is just how much opinion got mixed in with fact in the magazine. I distinctly remember a lot of things just straight up being the equivalent of someone's tumblr blog take on an anime but professional written and sold in a magazine. Still, I loved reading about all the cool new shows back when anime was something we only got in drips and drabs, either by watching it on TV, getting a job to buy the DVDs, or, well, you know, YO HO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JKLM45aIik

Someone just premiered this Dragonball fan film. The animation and voice acting it good. It's very much someone's complete fanfiction AU, but at least it looks cool.