Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Today I found out that before Adrian Tchaikovsky, Charles Stross wrote a 40k short called Monastery of Death back in the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i read it. it was good

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
stross invented the slaad, they made the slann to sell leftover slaad figures, the slann became the basis for the lore about the old ones, so he also indirectly invented the old ones

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 6, 2022

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Pretty sure Slaad are D&D originals and didn't make an appearance in 40k, though Slann definitely did. The crossover could be from old GW doing D&D minis and when they moved on from that repurposed some of those old miniature lines.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they started warhammer in the first place because wargaming needs like 10x the number of minis as rpg's

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/07/06/the-inside-track-on-witchbringer-a-story-about-coming-home-and-finding-that-home-has-changed/

New 40k book announced, by a new author even.
This one is about a Primaris Psyker, the human ones attached to Guard regiments and not the Space Marine ones to be precise.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/07/06/the-inside-track-on-witchbringer-a-story-about-coming-home-and-finding-that-home-has-changed/

New 40k book announced, by a new author even.
This one is about a Primaris Psyker, the human ones attached to Guard regiments and not the Space Marine ones to be precise.

Ok this is a really great premise so I hope this new author can live up to it. I really hope we get to see a significant look at what goes on in the training and its not 100% set after she is done and back with her regiment. Cover art is great. Looking forward to this one I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
She must be a pretty powerful psyker is she gets to keep her eyes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no thats the astropaths

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

no thats the astropaths

Same thing, taken by the black ships, judged stable and powerful enough to not be murdered or fed to Easy-E or astropathed, but to become a sanctioned psyker, and then they survived enough battles without accidentally blowing up everyone around them to attain the status of Primaris.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
but the ordinary sanctioned psykers get to keep their eyeballs :science:

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
My understand was that all psykers/astropaths taken aboard the black ships and allowed to live are soul bound to the Emperor and this process usually burns out their optic nerves. only the most powerful are able to resist this.

I could be wrong here. Either way, I'm looking forward to the book.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont know her eyes look like they're on fire in that cover art.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chemtrailologist posted:

My understand was that all psykers/astropaths taken aboard the black ships and allowed to live are soul bound to the Emperor and this process usually burns out their optic nerves. only the most powerful are able to resist this.

I could be wrong here. Either way, I'm looking forward to the book.
No, you're correct. Now you know what this implies for the character.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There's also plenty of psyker inquisitors that still have their eyes. Maybe the Space Gestapo gets better treatment or something though

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
heres that ol discussion of it in the worse wiki

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/f/p/3100000000000001862

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Only Astropaths get soul bound.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm assuming Inquisition psykers are vouched for by the authority of whoever recruited them. There's no indication Eisenhorn or Ravenor were ever soulbound, not the psychic members of their warband.

For everyone else I'd assume they're tested, and there's 4 categories.

1) Too powerful and dangerous to risk, kill them by whatever is the most expeditious means.

2) Too weak/uncontrollable/irregular, or some combination thereoff, fed to Big E.

3) Sufficent telepathic potential to be worth training as an Astropath. Because you need a certain base level of such talent to make an effective Astropath. Send them to Terra for soulbinding and training.

4) A useful and controllable level of power, but minimal telepathic talents. Send them to be battle psykers, probably after the Inquisition secretly gets first dibs. So that's where all the pure telekines, biomancers and pyrokinetics etc end up.

This is what's supposed to happen. The reality in the Imperium is there's all the people who slip through the cracks.
Cults, noble house pet psykers, in criminal gangs, people just really good at hiding what they can do, etc, etc.

Edit: Additionally, I've not read this anywhere, but my own personal head canon is that telepaths and closely related talents are way more vulnerable to daemonic influence and eventual possession as opposed to say a psyker who can just sling stuff around with his mind. So that's another reason they need to be Soulbound unless you're really sure of their resistance to that.

Edit 2 Also it would make way more sense that a powerful Astropath, or a coven of them, could Soulbind locally, acting as a proxy and you could have sector/sub-sector schools, rather than every Astropath in the galaxy has to be taken to Terra, trained up, and then individually assigned across an entire drat galaxy, which can take years or worse to transit. They must need a kajillion of them. But we're back to the old "GW writers have no sense of scale" perennial topic of discussion again.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 6, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

wiegieman posted:

Only Astropaths get soul bound.

Yeah, Astropaths are the soulbpund ones, everyone else just gets sorted and then whatever training or implants or such

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Were there any books starring non-inquisition non-SM psykers before this?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Deptfordx posted:

4) A useful and controllable level of power, but minimal telepathic talents. Send them to be battle psykers, probably after the Inquisition secretly gets first dibs. So that's where all the pure telekines, biomancers and pyrokinetics etc end up.

Yeah this is a good point.

The Inquisition was formed in the same circumstances of the Emperor starting to need feeding every day, and both the Inquisition and Sisters of Silence run the Black Ships, so they'll definitely be taking "first pick".

But they won't be looking for raw power imo, and most Inquisitors seem to be non-psychic. A lot of the most powerful psykers, especially ones with the focused killing abilities like pyrokinesis etc, will be sent straight to the Imperial Guard, probably, since the Guard will be going through Psykers at a much faster rate than the Inquisition due to being such a bigger organisation.

But someone who has some subtler powers and is also a good fit for an Acolyte/Interrogater/Inquisitor role in the future, I reckon they get sent to become someone like Eisenhorn or Covenant.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 6, 2022

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah this is a good point.

The Inquisition was formed in the same circumstances of the Emperor starting to need feeding every day, and both the Inquisition and Sisters of Silence run the Black Ships, so they'll definitely be taking "first pick".

But they won't be looking for raw power imo, and most Inquisitors seem to be non-psychic. A lot of the most powerful psykers, especially ones with the focused killing abilities like pyrokinesis etc, will be sent straight to the Imperial Guard, probably, since the Guard will be going through Psykers at a much faster rate than the Inquisition due to being such a bigger organisation.

But someone who has some subtler powers and is also a good fit for an Acolyte/Interrogater/Inquisitor role in the future, I reckon they get sent to become someone like Eisenhorn or Covenant.

This is pretty much it, the most powerful at the proper age also may be sent to become space marine librarians or even grey knights. Only astropaths are soulbound. I believe it has something to do with the way they have to really open themselves up to the warp to send and especially receive messages and thus greater danger as opposed to battle psychics who are pulling some warp power into themselves to use.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

D-Pad posted:

This is pretty much it, the most powerful at the proper age also may be sent to become space marine librarians or even grey knights.

Maybe some chapters that have a good relationship with the Inquisition, but in general the Space Marines will be finding Psykers in their own way since they're kinda separate from a lot of Imperium bureaucracy. A lot of the time they will find them on their own recruiting planet(s), or tithe planet(s), for better or worse.

Actually, now I'm starting to think that the first "dibs" would go to the Grey Knights.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FPyat posted:

Were there any books starring non-inquisition non-SM psykers before this?
The last of the Shira Calpurnia novels is about her investigating a murder on an Astronomicon relay station, so most characters are psykers. Also, ye know, anything with a navigator in it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Grey Knights use a lot more scrying and prognostication than other branches of the adeptus terra, so they probably identify suitable candidates individually and go requisition or extract them rather than perusing the psyker bin at the local Imperium Mart

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I thought psyking was part of their genetic upgrades . Gene seed I think they call it

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Maybe some chapters that have a good relationship with the Inquisition, but in general the Space Marines will be finding Psykers in their own way since they're kinda separate from a lot of Imperium bureaucracy. A lot of the time they will find them on their own recruiting planet(s), or tithe planet(s), for better or worse.

Actually, now I'm starting to think that the first "dibs" would go to the Grey Knights.

Geneseed tends to activate latent psykers (since all the primarchs were warp beings themselves.) They usually have plenty of psykers just emerging during recruitment.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They weren’t all psykers tho Even if they were all warp creatures I guess .

Grey knights gene seed is from E I think .

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Grey Knights use a lot more scrying and prognostication than other branches of the adeptus terra, so they probably identify suitable candidates individually and go requisition or extract them rather than perusing the psyker bin at the local Imperium Mart

They definitely do what you're saying too, but they're integrated with the Ordo Malleus so the Inquisition's first draft is still their draft.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

euphronius posted:

They weren’t all psykers tho Even if they were all warp creatures I guess .

Grey knights gene seed is from E I think .

Grey Knights use loyalist death guard geneseed, with recruits who are confirmed to be strong psykers already.

It's not the geneseed that matters as much as being powerful and the complete mind wipes and heavy training.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

wiegieman posted:

Grey Knights use loyalist death guard geneseed, with recruits who are confirmed to be strong psykers already.

Wait what? Where's that from?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Flight of the Eisenstein, I think?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

It’s a reference to the fact that some of the first grey knights were the knights errant, but those weren’t all death guard. Rubio was one of them, and he’s an ultramarine.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I just got done reading the end of The Hollow Mountain where it is specifically said that black ship psykers who are strong enough become space marine librarians. Sure if they find them they'll use them but they also get them this way. In the Mephiston books he specifically mentioned that he was caught and sent to Terra on the black ships. There are a few other mentions scattered throughout the lore.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

In Ravenor he sends the teenage psyker on the black ships after catching him and that same kid is confirmed to be the protagonist Grey Knight in The Emperor's Gift. The grey knights work closely with the inquisition.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

D-Pad posted:

I just got done reading the end of The Hollow Mountain where it is specifically said that black ship psykers who are strong enough become space marine librarians. Sure if they find them they'll use them but they also get them this way. In the Mephiston books he specifically mentioned that he was caught and sent to Terra on the black ships. There are a few other mentions scattered throughout the lore.

In Ravenor he sends the teenage psyker on the black ships after catching him and that same kid is confirmed to be the protagonist Grey Knight in The Emperor's Gift. The grey knights work closely with the inquisition.

A legion like the Blood Angels will have that Inquisition relationship, but there are definitely chapters that will not be getting personal deliveries from the Inquisition.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

A legion like the Blood Angels will have that Inquisition relationship, but there are definitely chapters that will not be getting personal deliveries from the Inquisition.

You say that, but the Celestial Lions got a personal delivery very recently.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Brendan Rodgers posted:

One of the Iron Hands books mentions the chapter trading favours/resources/etc with the Black Ships in exchange for psykers that would make suitable chapter aspirants.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arc Hammer posted:

Flight of the Eisenstein, I think?

Nope, though it's related. The Buried Dagger and the other Garro stories confirm the Grey Knights were founded by a combination of loyalist death guard and loyalists from all the other legions that were seperated or exiled from their chapter.

Garro has to be the dullest HH character I think. Such a dull fucker.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It's not the inquisition though, they only run the black ships. Psykers brought to Terra are turned over to the Adeptus Astra Telepathica and then they sort them to the different possibilities. You are right though that not every single chapter would be in a position to receive psykers from Terra and it's probably more likely for a first founding chapter like the Blood Angels to get not only psykers but the absolute cream of the crop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Shroud posted:

You say that, but the Celestial Lions got a personal delivery very recently.

I want you to know this did not go by unnoticed.