Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Oh wow, Chipwizard is basically KOHCTPYKTOP but with modern Zachtronics style and a scoring system. That's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I booted up my Sawayama powerlance and played Dungeons & Diagrams for a lot more hours than I thought I did. Pretty good, some maps seem easy, some seem super hard, but they kind of fall into place. I'm stuck on the tomb of the broken god but I suspect I'll sleep on it and get it quickly when I get back in later.

I really need to finish exapunks, too, I haven't opened my envelope yet despite having had it for ages.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

ymgve posted:

Can you do the later stages of X'BPGH with a "stable" solution, or do you have to time it juust right so it's the correct solution at the last frame? I'm having major issues finding a solution to the upper right stage.

It has to be stable, I tried an unstable solution on that one too before getting it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
dungeons and diagrams is so loving hard

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It has to be stable, I tried an unstable solution on that one too before getting it.

It doesn't "have" to be stable, it just has to be correct on frame 12.

On a theoretical frame 13, the rightmost flesh would grow into a beard, then the turn after that it would die, and it would become the final rune again every four frames.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Weird, I tried something similar and it didn't work. I don't have it anymore to compare what the difference was, though.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I want about 20 more robots to build. The other games are fun but I just wanna paint all day.

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 6, 2022

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I want about 20 more robots to build. The other games are fun but I just wanna paint all day.

It's genuinely chill as all hell

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
You should check out Model Builder then

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Done with X'BPGH, now I'm slamming my head against Stepper Motor in the circuit designer. There's so little space!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I just finished the fifth row in Dungeons & Diagrams and it didn't open up the next row of puzzles. No message about it or anything. Is that supposed to happen?

(image spoiled if people want to avoid the solution thumbnails)

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
probably one of your puzzles isn't actually finished even though the thumbnail looks like it i did the same thing

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Third from the right, bottom row, is unfinished. Red border.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Stayed up until about 3am last night until I finished X'BPGH. :stonklol:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

petcarcharodon posted:

probably one of your puzzles isn't actually finished even though the thumbnail looks like it i did the same thing

Green Wing posted:

Third from the right, bottom row, is unfinished. Red border.

Oops, I'm dumb. Thanks

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Agreed. At the very least it would be great to have the ability to have multiple copies so you could paint them differently.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I just followed the painting guide for the Pascal, might have to be more ambitious for the not-Dom but with only six colors per kit you can only do so much.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Lol at the last dungeons and diagrams.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Bloody Pom posted:

Stayed up until about 3am last night until I finished X'BPGH. :stonklol:

Would play an entire game about growing forbidden organs to become immortal.

Come to think of it, that's kinda Amazing Cultivator Sim

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm starting to get into Zachtronics with Last Call BBS and my brain is hurting haha.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Playing this is so bittersweet. I love these games. Putting Automachef and Signal State together works really well and I have to think it is an intentional nod towards those games.

I really think Bandai should make a full game of the Gundam builder. Even if they release each model as a DLC I feel like its an open ground for them. Its nearly as satisfying as building a real one and then you don't have to be embarrassed about putting on a shelf for other people to see.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Zach's doing an AMA right now if you folks want to ask him some questions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/vtmrpi/im_zach_barth_the_creative_director_of_the_game/

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Womyn Capote posted:

Playing this is so bittersweet. I love these games. Putting Automachef and Signal State together works really well and I have to think it is an intentional nod towards those games.

I really think Bandai should make a full game of the Gundam builder. Even if they release each model as a DLC I feel like its an open ground for them. Its nearly as satisfying as building a real one and then you don't have to be embarrassed about putting on a shelf for other people to see.

There is a game that is basically that, Gundam Breaker. The games were well liked too, but a new developer took over the series for the latest one and people were not happy with that one.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
This is the stupidest little thing but while putting together the Locke-u I realized that you can use other parts as stencils and that all those little missiles on the shoulder let you get the perfect Zaku eye.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Son of a bitch, I didn't notice until the end of third row in Dungeons and Diagrams that there's a rule that says treasure rooms have exactly one point of entry :ughh:

Anyway now all I need to unlock row 4 is the one that's 3 chests and a mimic.

I'm not strictly stuck on Chipwizard but I am pretty stumped at how other people are getting efficient solutions; even as early as the OR gate, I can't figure out the cheaper solutions--the best one seems to cost 10! Mine costs 15 and it's two NPN gates, how do I beat that?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Oldstench posted:

Here is how I did it.

Thanks for this - I was also completely stumped on the "OR" level, but this helped me understand a little better and I was able to complete all the levels up until the one where you have to create two clock signals at different intervals. I though I had a way to do it, but it ended up just infinitely looping; I assume I just need to double this up so that there are a pair of latches that toggle each other each tick but I'm stuck on the practical end of implementing that.

In other news, I'm sharing my (terrible) attempt at a solution for the OR gate puzzle, before I realized you can use the +V to get an always-on signal.

https://i.imgur.com/h9iVPmz.png

(this solution works when A or B is high, but does not function when both are active at once)

KNR
May 3, 2009

Argue posted:

I'm not strictly stuck on Chipwizard but I am pretty stumped at how other people are getting efficient solutions; even as early as the OR gate, I can't figure out the cheaper solutions--the best one seems to cost 10! Mine costs 15 and it's two NPN gates, how do I beat that?
The trick is to figure out what the scoring system is, it seems deliberately unclear. The 10 cost solution is two NPN gates.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Eggnogium posted:

Lol at the last dungeons and diagrams.

Also the last level of food factory, feel like I’m going to spend half my time in each game on the final puzzle.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Managed to just eke out the last food factory using the entire logic board. Can't wait to see the solutions that blow mine out of the water.

Solution gif

At first it came in one space over the limit and I was distraught thinking I'd have to try a different approach but I combed over the entire thing looking for a single piece I could remove and eventually found I could always dispense rice and fish at the same time so I didn't need a separate switch for the rice.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Argue posted:

As KNR says, the scoring system might not be initially obvious. It's your design's max width*height, excluding the metal layer

So, this is 3x5, 15 point solution:
This, a 3x4, 12:
And this is a 2x5, 10 pointer,

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a good text-less screenshot of the cutscene you get after the 3rd column in X'BGHRGIPH? It was really gorgeous with cool flesh flowers but I forgot to take a screenshot and you can't rewatch cutscenes.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I have no idea what I'm doing in X'BPGH.

Can someone drop some hints to get me started?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Snuffman posted:

I have no idea what I'm doing in X'BPGH.

Can someone drop some hints to get me started?

The upper half is a timeline with 12 steps showing the organism's evolution. You set the starting position of the first "cell" in the upper left grid.

The bottom half is a sequence of "rules" with order like 1 2 3 4 5 6 etc

Clicking one of them allows you to set a "source" cell on the left half, and an action that cell will take on the right half, like dividing in a specific direction, specializing into a different type of cell etc. In each time step, each cell looks for the first rule that matches, and does the specified action. For the first level, it should just be a rule that specializes the red starter cell into pink, then four rules that tell the pink cells to grow in all the different directions.

Later levels allow you to set an extra conditional with the dpad looking thing in the lower left, so a rule only matches if the neighbor of a cell matches too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ymgve posted:

The upper half is a timeline with 12 steps showing the organism's evolution. You set the starting position of the first "cell" in the upper left grid.

The bottom half is a sequence of "rules" with order like 1 2 3 4 5 6 etc

Clicking one of them allows you to set a "source" cell on the left half, and an action that cell will take on the right half, like dividing in a specific direction, specializing into a different type of cell etc. In each time step, each cell looks for the first rule that matches, and does the specified action. For the first level, it should just be a rule that specializes the red starter cell into pink, then four rules that tell the pink cells to grow in all the different directions.

Later levels allow you to set an extra conditional with the dpad looking thing in the lower left, so a rule only matches if the neighbor of a cell matches too.

Oh mna, thanks, I was stuck on puzzle 5!

Now I'm stuck on Puzzle 6.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lemming posted:

dungeons and diagrams is so loving hard

I thought so too until I realized the tutorial for it is just misleading. Diagonals are very much allowed for walls. It's a cool take on Picross. I was stuck forever on Chipwizard until I realized the tutorial was also misleading and what it was trying to show with the image did not line up with what it was actually telling you lol (or at least, I misinterpreted the gif as such - and I actually did this stuff a while back for real lol)

I'm not a fan of most Zachtronics games because what they actually involve is just coding, debugging and qa and that's my job (though nothing against them), but a good half of Last Call is not that and I dig it. gently caress the Not Puyo Puyo though lol what a dickpunch of a ruleset that is.

DnD, Models, and XBGH are super cool and fun

e: lol

quote:

Hi Zach. Love your work. Do you think a Scrubs reboot is in your future ? Do you and Donald Faison hang out still?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 8, 2022

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
"How To Invent Everything" by Ryan North has a great chapter that covers the logical progression from 'Classical Greek Logic' to 'and, not, or, xor gates' to 'half adders' to 'full adders' to 'basic CPU.'

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm not a fan of how at least one of the puzzles in X'BPGH requires that the result be perfectly timed to show up on the last "frame" because it's seemingly impossible to make a stable solution. I'm talking about the flesh puzzle on the top of the right-most column. If someone has a stable solution, I'd love to see it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Oldstench posted:

I'm not a fan of how at least one of the puzzles in X'BPGH requires that the result be perfectly timed to show up on the last "frame" because it's seemingly impossible to make a stable solution. I'm talking about the flesh puzzle on the top of the right-most column. If someone has a stable solution, I'd love to see it.

I tried real hard to get a solution that works in the unstable manner, couldn't do it, then took a step back and tried a different approach and came up with this

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Oldstench posted:

I wound up stealing KNR's idea, and did this.

Ugly, ugly solution, and having the initial cell evolve twice before dying ate up a ton of my instruction slots. The rest were eaten up cleaning up after my need for lightning fast eyeball development. I could have started one space up. Fast, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Interesting. I was getting really hung up on the eyes. My solution is shorter than both of yours but isn't stable. This game makes me feel so loving stupid.