Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's slightly different his time. He is threatening to filibuster a bill he and most of the Republican caucus support, because killing a bipartisan bill to improve supply chain times and help alleviate the semiconductor shortage is the only leverage he has, since he is already routinely filibustering every bill they oppose. The only move is to start filibustering bills they support to.

Out of curiosity, if the Democrats care enough about the supply chain/semiconductor stuff for McConnell's threat to potentially derail the reconciliation bill, is there any reason they couldn't just add it to the bill as well? It sounds like the sort of thing that would qualify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Orthanc6 posted:

So what's really happening is Tucker refuses to take his meds and wants the rest of the country to back him up.

Yeah that tracks.

Nah, it fits right into the popular conservative self-image of how they're BIG TOUGH STRONG MEN who can get over all their problems with guts and manliness, unlike those wussy soy-loving lefty whiners who just go cry and complain whenever anything they don't like happens.

Mental health care is also taking an increasingly large role in various political wedge issues. Aside from the fact that it now comes up in pretty much every conversation about gun violence, conservative parents are also on a crusade against school counselors or therapists who might provide a supportive influence to kids who dare to develop their own identity without the permission of their parents.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

If they were serious about doing a politically smart thing, then they would probably be doing something else.

Only the Medicare Rx drug provisions would kick in before the elections and be a direct benefit to people.

This is incorrect; many stories have mentioned how people will be getting their 2023 premium pricing in October, before the election, and how not restoring the jacked subsidies to private insurers would result in voters seeing 30 percent increases in their unmasked costs of private-insurance premiums.

It's definitely been tied as a concern to the midterm election; let me know if you need any sourcing on this.

Lol that the drug-price "controls" only apply to Medicare recipients.

Also lol that Schumer wants a vote on this before their next six-week vacation; sure hope Leahy's hip knits itself pretty fast!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Willa Rogers posted:

This is incorrect; many stories have mentioned how people will be getting their 2023 premium pricing in October, before the election, and how not restoring the jacked subsidies to private insurers would result in voters seeing 30 percent increases in their unmasked costs of private-insurance premiums.

It's definitely been tied as a concern to the midterm election; let me know if you need any sourcing on this.

Also lol that Schumer wants a vote on this before their next six-week vacation; sure hope Leahy's hip knits itself pretty fast!

Didn't the GOP wheel in someone who should have been in a hospital bed not that long ago?

If they have to throw a suit on Leahy and put him in a wheelchair to vote for whatever remains of BBB, they will do it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

The very bottom of the post you quoted that you didn't include addresses the subsidies:

quote:

The ACA stuff is basically preventing a disaster and keeping the bonus subsidies that have been around for the last 1.5 years. So, it is a good thing for peoples' wallets, but it isn't a "new" thing that will make an impact politically since it has been in effect since April 2021.

Making sure a disaster is averted by keeping the status quo isn't a "new" benefit that is going to give people a noticeable difference from where they are right now. It prevents a loss, but doesn't directly improve the status quo as of right now. People will notice changes in their condition a lot more and preventing something bad won't get any credit compared to a new positive change.

Leahy was discharged from the hospital a few days ago. No idea what that means in terms of his ability to vote.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Oh, and some of those stories that mentioned the 30 percent increase in private-insurance premiums also stated that insurers have to submit their 2023 pricing by August in many states for regulatory approvals.

So it makes sense for Schumer to try to cram this through before the Aug-Sept vacation.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The very bottom of the post you quoted that you didn't include addresses the subsidies:

Making sure a disaster is averted by keeping the status quo isn't a "new" benefit that is going to give people a noticeable difference from where they are right now. It prevents a loss, but doesn't directly improve the status quo as of right now. People will notice changes in their condition a lot more and preventing something bad won't get any credit or notice.

I did see that, but people noticed when the enhanced subsidies to private insurers were lowering their own costs for the past two years, so they'll certainly notice whether they continue, especially with all the scary stories about insurance increasing by 30 percent without the enhanced subsidies.

I'm unclear why you mentioned Medicare drug costs as a benefit to happen before the election when the NBC story says it'll kick in next year; is it because it's expected to lower the cost of Part D premiums? If so, by what percentage?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TipTow posted:

"History of mental illness" and "in a mental health crisis" are not at all the same thing.

Gumball Gumption posted:

https://www.theviolenceproject.org/mass-shooter-database/

I think you're misunderstanding having a mental health disease or disorder and being in a crisis. We are also developing a solid profile on who commits mass shootings.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/05/27/stopping-mass-shooters-q-a-00035762

It's good science. And at no point am I saying don't ban guns. Absolutely ban guns. But there are two problems here, the fact that people want to kill other people and then how easy it is to do in this modern age so someone who previously would of been a serial killer, family annihilator, or possibly just suicidal are now able to easily carry out mass murder suicides.

Politicians may use this as an excuse for inaction but that doesn't mean behavioral science and what it can tell us about our behavior should just be ignored.

Plenty of nations have poor mental healthcare, some worse than the US, but zero have mass shooting problems.

The US has many, many behavioral health issues but that's something that needs to be addressed regardless of mass shootings, not something that leftists talk about almost exclusively in response to right wing violence.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

I did see that, but people noticed when the enhanced subsidies to private insurers were lowering their own costs for the past two years, so they'll certainly notice whether they continue, especially with all the scary stories about insurance increasing by 30 percent without the enhanced subsidies.

I'm unclear why you mentioned Medicare drug costs as a benefit to happen before the election when the NBC story says it'll kick in next year; is it because it's expected to lower the cost of Part D premiums? If so, by what percentage?

There's a prescription rebate provision in the draft text to provide rebates for FY2022 that can be deployed for some drugs this year.

https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/070622%20Prescription%20Drug%20Pricing%20Reform%20Leg%20Text.pdf

quote:

In addition to amounts otherwise available, there is appropriated to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, out of any money in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, $3,000,000,000 for fiscal year 2022, to remain available until expended, to carry out the provisions of, including the amendments made by, this part. PART 2—PRESCRIPTION DRUG INFLATION REBATES

Even that is not a huge amount of money for a quick injection and only applies to a limited amount of people, but it is the only major provision that is a direct financial bonus from the law status quo pre-election.

The main Rx negotiating provision/out of pocket caps don't actually kick in until January 2023. And as for how much that will save on premiums, it will depend on which drugs are selected. No clear way to tell right now.

Edit: There's also some regulations in there will probably be challenged by the parliamentarian because they are on shaky grounds for qualifying for BCRA criteria. So, some of those provisions are in danger even if the they come to a full agreement on the bill.

So, almost none of it is going to impact people this year. Most of it is good policy (but, too small/limited), but not the best political move.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 6, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Plenty of nations have poor mental healthcare, some worse than the US, but zero have mass shooting problems.

The US has many, many behavioral health issues but that's something that needs to be addressed regardless of mass shootings, not something that leftists talk about almost exclusively in response to right wing violence.

Many countries have mass shooting problems and problems with high body count murderers. Where we are unique is that we're a rich country with no social services and large access to guns and take almost no measures after these incidents happen. It's a perfect storm but the profile that leads to mass shootings also leads to violence in those countries, it's just that the killer either goes with another method or early intervention helps them.

Honestly I don't get your point. You don't want to engage with actual data and at no point is anyone saying don't ban guns, I'm very clear that a big problem with this is how easy and fast it is to kill in the modern era. The modern mass shooter is darkly someone who can only exist due to modernization and the modern gun.

It's not like there's a big popularity meter and when it hits 100% we get gun restrictions. Politicians are not going to do poo poo so I'm going to discuss the full picture that leads to this. It's just dumb to be mad at how leftists discuss things like that has any bearing on what's happening in reality. Joe Manchin would be for banning guns but whoops, he heard a leftist say "it's mental health".

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 6, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Congress continues its trend of not only giving more military spending than Biden even asked for, but also trying to prevent him from reducing our nuclear weapon stockpile.

A few dozen Democrats have switched after testimony from military Generals criticizing Biden's plans to cancel the program; including Jim Cooper, who chairs the House Armed Services Strategic Forces panel.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1544801949639376896

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Darko posted:

Barriers to entry is a huge thing. You can suicide by gun with a rifle, or shotgun, but since its so much harder to do than the ease of a handgun, percentages are far lower.

High capacity magazines not being in play would save a large percentage of lives in mass shooting cases.

AR15s are boogeymen. They're the Honda Civics of guns, banning them just means shooters move to the Toyota Camry of guns or whatever. If you lower magazine sizes, you effectively are "banning" every single gun of their type; easy to use rifles with 30 plus round magazines. Nobody will want them because they can't live out their fantasies with a 10 shot magazine or whatever. And in a mass shooting situation, every reload is a margin for error and allows more people to get away. People aren't John Wick, they will screw up magazine changes and jam their guns and stuff.

Mental health will barely stop anything; the majority of mass shooters haven't had any actual mental health treatment that would even be flagged for a gun purchase. Yes, we need better mental health in this country, but these are generally not institutionalized people, so focusing on that would do absolutely nothing in comparison to limiting the amount of people that can be killed physically.

The statistics for mass shootings during the assault weapons ban seem to counter that assertion

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

International Swimming, Rugby, Wrestling, and U.S. college swimming have all confirmed new policies that ban trans athletes from competing in women's sports unless they transitioned before age 12. It also creates a new third "open competition" category where people of all genders can compete.

FIFA and the international track and field governing body are expected to release similar policies soon and other international sports organizations are likely to follow suit for consistency.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1544799615853158400

quote:

A stance on transgender athletes made by one of the world’s most important athletic federations has sent ripples throughout the rest of the sports world and some fear it may bring even wider changes to come.

The governing body of international competitive swimming announced a policy that will only allow athletes who’ve transitioned before the age of 12 to take part in any of the elite international swimming competitions.

quote:

The decision made by FINA pointed to what the organization says is a “performance gap” that emerges between biological males and females during puberty.

"Without eligibility standards based on biological sex or sex-linked traits, we are very unlikely to see biological females in finals, on podiums, or in championship positions,” read the statement in part.

The policy also includes a proposal for a new open competition category, which athletes “would be able to compete without regard to their sex, their legal gender or their gender identity.”

quote:

The decision made by FINA pointed to what the organization says is a “performance gap” that emerges between biological males and females during puberty.

"Without eligibility standards based on biological sex or sex-linked traits, we are very unlikely to see biological females in finals, on podiums, or in championship positions,” read the statement in part.

The policy also includes a proposal for a new open competition category, which athletes “would be able to compete without regard to their sex, their legal gender or their gender identity.”

quote:

FINA cited coming to the decision after consulting with scientists and policy makers, but the policy still sent shockwaves throughout the world of swimming and beyond. USA Wrestling and the International Rugby League have already followed suit and announced similar policies and other governing bodies are likely to follow suit.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 6, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Trump apparently pulled a Nixon, but this time the appointee didn't even resign in protest - or tell anyone.

Charles Rettig was appointed by Trump, but he is still currently the IRS Commissioner. His term expires in November.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1544809945626976259
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1544808506653642755

The odds of any one random person being selected for these random hyper audits is 0.0032%.

The odds that those two specific people would be both randomly selected are 0.000000000000000026%.

quote:

Among tax lawyers, the most invasive type of random audit carried out by the I.R.S. is known, only partly jokingly, as “an autopsy without the benefit of death.”

The odds of being selected for that audit in any given year are tiny — out of nearly 153 million individual returns filed for 2017, for example, the I.R.S. targeted about 5,000, or roughly one out of 30,600.

quote:

One of the few who received a bureaucratic letter with the news that his 2017 return would be under intensive scrutiny was James B. Comey, who had been fired as F.B.I. director that year by President Donald J. Trump. Furious over what he saw as Mr. Comey’s lack of loyalty and his pursuit of the Russia investigation, Mr. Trump had continued to rail against him even after his dismissal, accusing him of treason, calling for his prosecution and publicly complaining about the money Mr. Comey received for a book after his dismissal.

quote:

The minuscule chances of the two highest-ranking F.B.I. officials — who made some of the most politically consequential law enforcement decisions in a generation — being randomly subjected to a detailed scrub of their tax returns a few years after leaving their posts presents extraordinary questions.

Was it sheer coincidence that two close associates would randomly come under the scrutiny of the same audit program within two years of each other? Did something in their returns increase the chances of their being selected? Could the audits have been connected to criminal investigations pursued by the Trump Justice Department against both men, neither of whom was ever charged?

Or did someone in the federal government or at the I.R.S. — an agency that at times, like under the Nixon administration, was used for political purposes but says it has imposed a range of internal controls intended to thwart anyone from improperly using its powers — corrupt the process?

quote:

“Lightning strikes, and that’s unusual, and that’s what it’s like being picked for one of these audits,” said John A. Koskinen, the I.R.S. commissioner from 2013 to 2017. “The question is: Does lightning then strike again in the same area? Does it happen? Some people may see that in their lives, but most will not — so you don’t need to be an anti-Trumper to look at this and think it’s suspicious.”

How taxpayers get selected for the program of intensive audits — known as the National Research Program — is closely held. The I.R.S. is prohibited by law from discussing specific cases, further walling off from scrutiny the type of audit Mr. Comey and Mr. McCabe faced.

quote:

The I.R.S. commissioner, Charles P. Rettig, who was appointed to the post by Mr. Trump in 2018, declined to be interviewed about the audits, discussions he may have had with Mr. Trump or his political appointees, or how compliance research examinations work.

A shockingly short statement from Trump.

quote:

Asked about the audits, Mr. Trump, through a spokeswoman, said, “I have no knowledge of this.” He went on to point to reports from the Justice Department’s inspector general that were critical of Mr. Comey and Mr. McCabe.

quote:

The audits conducted on Mr. Comey, Mr. McCabe and their spouses, according to the letters they received from the agency, were carried out under an I.R.S. research program to learn who is — and who is not — paying their taxes.

quote:

“Your federal income tax return for the year shown above was selected at random for a compliance research examination,” the letters to both the Comeys and the McCabes said. “We must examine randomly selected tax returns to better understand tax compliance and improve fairness of the tax system. We’ll give you the opportunity to explain any errors we may find during the examination.”

quote:

Those being audited are often forced to produce bank records, copies of checks, receipts and letters documenting donations to determine whether they are properly reporting income and expenses and are not hiding assets.

quote:

In the case of the Comeys, it cost $5,000 in accountant fees. The I.R.S. agent conducting the audit spent at least 50 working hours on it, including meeting face to face with the family’s accountant, who drove several hours to meet the agent, according to internal I.R.S. documents produced in response to a Freedom of Information Act request filed by The Times.

Along with having to produce all of his personal financial information, like brokerage and bank statements, Mr. Comey gave the I.R.S. a copy of his family’s Christmas card that had a photograph to prove that he had the children he had claimed as dependents.

quote:

The audit went so deeply into his finances that his accountant had a back and forth with the agency about how much the Comeys had spent on office supplies purchased more than two years earlier. In an series of documents the accountant provided to the I.R.S. in February 2020, the accountant said that Mr. Comey, originally going by memory, had provided far too low an estimate about how much he had spent on them.

“I have attached an invoice to support the cost of the MacBook Air for $1,761,” Mr. Comey’s accountant wrote to the agent in a letter. “He also bought a printer and toner, charged on his AMX, 9/29/17. Mr. Comey has requested a copy of the statement for that month. I will also fax that document to you, when I get it. ”

A month later, Mr. Comey’s accountant pushed back on the invasiveness of the audit, likening it to a federal investigation.

“We had a long conversation,” the agent wrote in her notes about the call. “He said he couldn’t understand this audit, and this is how a fraud case is audited. He also couldn’t understand why I requested all bank statements.”

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 6, 2022

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I'm so confused by how banning gun sales on the basis of "mental illness" became a popular plank, particularly when we're not even effectively keeping guns away from people with criminal records. I've always believed it's the worst solution and seems like it's only picked up steam because people have given up on anything coherent (like banning the sale of semiautomatic guns entirely), so why not go after the easy targets who we can easily get people to hate.

At this moment, the court has (wrongly) determined that the individual right to bear arms is constitutionally protected. So this is suggesting that we should be able to eliminate constitutional rights based on an arbitrary extrajudicial list mostly pulled from the medical records of people who have voluntarily sought mental health treatment. I don't own a gun and don't want to and would still avoid seeking out mental health treatment if the government pulled that poo poo.

It was more a tongue in cheek quip that people seem to care more about the guns than the people that are effected by them, and the unending trail of evidence that a majority of mass shootings were committed by people with extensive but untreated (or diagnosed with no action) mental illnesses who then managed to buy a gun and commit the mass shooting within 14 days.

Just to be clear, my position is that you shouldn't have loving guns at all. You have absolutely 0 reason for them.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

The statistics for mass shootings during the assault weapons ban seem to counter that assertion

I'd need to see them because conservatives use California and Chicago as stats because of their pure numbers. Currently, though, per capita, California has 25 percent fewer mass shootings than the average, similar to how Chicago starts dipping to teens and twenties when per capita comes into play.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

International Swimming, Rugby, Wrestling, and U.S. college swimming have all confirmed new policies that ban trans athletes from competing in women's sports unless they transitioned before age 12. It also creates a new third "open competition" category where people of all genders can compete.

FIFA and the international track and field governing body are expected to release similar policies soon and other international sports organizations are likely to follow suit for consistency.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1544799615853158400

Basically transphobic scaremongering has done it's job.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Darko posted:

I'd need to see them because conservatives use California and Chicago as stats because of their pure numbers. Currently, though, per capita, California has 25 percent fewer mass shootings than the average, similar to how Chicago starts dipping to teens and twenties when per capita comes into play.

Mass shooting deaths went down significantly during the assault weapons ban and then shot back up immediately after it expired. There is a very strong correlation between the assault weapons ban and reduced shootings, but not a 100% proven causation effect.

quote:

In the years after the assault weapons ban went into effect, the number of deaths from mass shootings fell, and the increase in the annual number of incidents slowed down. Even including 1999’s Columbine High School massacre – the deadliest mass shooting during the period of the ban – the 1994 to 2004 period saw lower average annual rates of both mass shootings and deaths resulting from such incidents than before the ban’s inception.

The data shows an almost immediate – and steep – rise in mass shooting deaths in the years after the assault weapons ban expired in 2004.

Breaking the data into absolute numbers, between 2004 and 2017 – the last year of our analysis – the average number of yearly deaths attributed to mass shootings was 25, compared with 5.3 during the 10-year tenure of the ban and 7.2 in the years leading up to the prohibition on assault weapons.

We calculated that the risk of a person in the U.S. dying in a mass shooting was 70% lower during the period in which the assault weapons ban was active. The proportion of overall gun homicides resulting from mass shootings was also down, with nine fewer mass-shooting-related fatalities per 10,000 shooting deaths.

https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2022/06/15/did-the-assault-weapons-ban-of-1994-bring-down-mass-shootings-heres-what-the-data-tells-us/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Trump apparently pulled a Nixon, but this time the appointee didn't even resign in protest - or tell anyone.

Charles Rettig was appointed by Trump, but he is still currently the IRS Commissioner. His term expires in November.

This is extremely unlikely to be anything; these are National Research Program (NRP) audits and they work through an entirely different selection process than investigative ones. I struggle to conceive of any way for the commissioner to find a way to target anyone for any kind of audit, given the layers of procedure and bureaucracy now in place at the IRS. The likelihood is also not represented accurately by the article, because although the specifics aren't public, NRP audit selection uses a stratified sample that also probably increases sampling for areas that the IRS is considering increasing overall enforcement. Both men may have been selected because they had high income, used a particular investment vehicle, recently left federal service, or some combination of those- or any number of other factors, individually or as a pair.

The specific details of the audits are also, you know, just how an audit is conducted. Where a for cause audit normally requests substantiating information for particular flagged parts of the taxpayer's return, NRP audits require substantiation be provided for everything on the return.

The audit went so deeply into his finances that his accountant had a back and forth with the agency about how much the Comeys had spent on office supplies purchased more than two years earlier. In an series of documents the accountant provided to the I.R.S. in February 2020, the accountant said that Mr. Comey, originally going by memory, had provided far too low an estimate about how much he had spent on them.

quote:

“I have attached an invoice to support the cost of the MacBook Air for $1,761,” Mr. Comey’s accountant wrote to the agent in a letter. “He also bought a printer and toner, charged on his AMX, 9/29/17. Mr. Comey has requested a copy of the statement for that month. I will also fax that document to you, when I get it. ”

A month later, Mr. Comey’s accountant pushed back on the invasiveness of the audit, likening it to a federal investigation.

“We had a long conversation,” the agent wrote in her notes about the call. “He said he couldn’t understand this audit, and this is how a fraud case is audited. He also couldn’t understand why I requested all bank statements.”

No poo poo they asked for expenses from "more than two years earlier", any audit normally looks back 3 years. The main takeaway I'm getting from the article is that Comey needs a better accountant, and should've documented actual office expenses.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 7, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

This is extremely unlikely to be anything; these are National Research Program (NRP) audits and they work through an entirely different selection process than investigative ones. I struggle to conceive of any way for the commissioner to find a way to target anyone for any kind of audit, given the layers of procedure and bureaucracy now in place at the IRS. The likelihood is also not represented accurately by the article, because although the specifics aren't public, NRP audit selection uses a stratified sample that also probably increases sampling for areas that the IRS is considering increasing overall enforcement. Both men may have been selected because they had high income, used a particular investment vehicle, recently left federal service, or some combination of those- or any number of other factors, individually or as a pair.

The specific details of the audits are also, you know, just how an audit is conducted. Where a for cause audit normally requests substantiating information for particular flagged parts of the taxpayer's return, NRP audits require substantiation be provided for everything on the return.

The main takeaway I'm getting from the article is that Comey needs a better accountant, and should've documented actual office expenses.

So you're saying dogs can't play basketball?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

Many countries have mass shooting problems and problems with high body count murderers. Where we are unique is that we're a rich country with no social services and large access to guns and take almost no measures after these incidents happen. It's a perfect storm but the profile that leads to mass shootings also leads to violence in those countries, it's just that the killer either goes with another method or early intervention helps them.

Most countries that aren't active warzones don't have regular mass shootings like the US. Among rich nations, it's very very rare to nonexistent. There are angry racists and young people in other countries and mental health is lacking in many wealthy countries, despite socialized healthcare.

quote:

Honestly I don't get your point. You don't want to engage with actual data and at no point is anyone saying don't ban guns, I'm very clear that a big problem with this is how easy and fast it is to kill in the modern era. The modern mass shooter is darkly someone who can only exist due to modernization and the modern gun.

I am engaging with actual data. Do you want me to post sources for the frequency of mass shootings in developed nations? The source for 11% of mass shooters having a history of mental health issues? We have different interpretations of the data available.

My point is that people are adopting a problematic right wing framing on gun violence despite coming at it from a different direction, because that's where the overton window has fallen. If I saw mental healthcare being talked about in anything other than a broad "we need socialized medicine" sense here, sure. But mostly, it's either broadly discussed as part of M4A, or only otherwise brought up in response to mass shootings.

quote:

It's not like there's a big popularity meter and when it hits 100% we get gun restrictions. Politicians are not going to do poo poo so I'm going to discuss the full picture that leads to this. It's just dumb to be mad at how leftists discuss things like that has any bearing on what's happening in reality. Joe Manchin would be for banning guns but whoops, he heard a leftist say "it's mental health".

I'm commenting on what i see being discussed on this board. Politicians aren't going to address mental health OR guns. They're not going to do anything.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 7, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Oracle posted:

So you're saying dogs can't play basketball?

I'm saying the article is misleading in presenting this as even remotely likely to have been anything other than the normal functioning of the IRS NRP. Rettig probably knows what the NRP is and little more. He's not going to have somehow secretly persuaded the 50 separate career civil servants involved to independently and obviously commit the federal crimes necessary to even try to get a particular person audited, a process that still would've taken years of advance planning during study development.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The weird roadside attraction that QAnon thinks is a satanic call to reduce the global population to 500,000 and lays out Joe Biden's plot to carry it out was blown up with a huge homemade bomb today.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1544738301730496517

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
If you not deep into right wing conspiracy poo poo and thus don't know what the gently caress is going on with that poo poo, John Oliver did a thing on it a while back on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEa3sK1iZxc

You can skip to 9:00 or so if you don't his style of humor and buildup.

Kaboobi posted:

Do Stone Mountain next

Oh god I hope so

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 7, 2022

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Do Stone Mountain next

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The weird roadside attraction that QAnon thinks is a satanic call to reduce the global population to 500,000 and lays out Joe Biden's plot to carry it out was blown up with a huge homemade bomb today.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1544738301730496517
The likely creator was also probably a white supremacist so it's also a huge self-own.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jaxyon posted:

Most countries that aren't active warzones don't have regular mass shootings like the US. Among rich nations, it's very very rare to nonexistent. There are angry racists and young people in other countries and mental health is lacking in many wealthy countries, despite socialized healthcare.

I am engaging with actual data. Do you want me to post sources for the frequency of mass shootings in developed nations? The source for 11% of mass shooters having a history of mental health issues? We have different interpretations of the data available.

My point is that people are adopting a problematic right wing framing on gun violence despite coming at it from a different direction, because that's where the overton window has fallen. If I saw mental healthcare being talked about in anything other than a broad "we need socialized medicine" sense here, sure. But mostly, it's either broadly discussed as part of M4A, or only otherwise brought up in response to mass shootings.

I'm commenting on what i see being discussed on this board. Politicians aren't going to address mental health OR guns. They're not going to do anything.

The US isn’t rich in the way that you’re implaying. The average american is far worse off than in other rich countries- again we should accept were in the tier with countries like Russia, India, China, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, not Denmark and Japan

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The US isn’t rich in the way that you’re implaying. The average american is far worse off than in other rich countries- again we should accept were in the tier with countries like Russia, India, China, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, not Denmark and Japan

They aren't. The median American has more disposable income and lower costs of living that the median European - even when factoring in public cash transfers and taxes.

The bottom ~15% of Americans and the chronically ill are generally worse off than their European counterparts, though.

Luxembourg is the only OECD country where the median citizen has almost the same disposable income as the median American.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 7, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is extremely far from true.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Jaxyon posted:

Basically transphobic scaremongering has done it's job.

yup, thanks goons who were in support of this. in a world growing increasingly fascist, you helped accelerate things.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1544775486554898432?s=21&t=5VK98fuEbx1jRt5DRB77XA

They were planning on nominating the anti-abortion judge AFTER the leak came out. Fortunately, they didn’t do it (yet) but this shows that the administration can not meet this moment at all.

someone here said that biden was the worst democratic president since andrew johnson

someone else countered and said that woodrow wilson was worse than biden

but no, joe biden is in fact the worst democratic president since andrew johnson

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

This NPR story from last month sure doesn't make it sound as if only the sickest & poorest Americans are worse off than citizens of other countries; I'd think that our uniquely brutal medical debt would certainly be a factor in disposable income & cost of living.

quote:

In the past five years, more than half of U.S. adults report they've gone into debt because of medical or dental bills, the KFF poll found.

A quarter of adults with health care debt owe more than $5,000. And about 1 in 5 with any amount of debt said they don't expect to ever pay it off.

"Debt is no longer just a bug in our system. It is one of the main products," said Dr. Rishi Manchanda, who has worked with low-income patients in California for more than a decade and served on the board of the nonprofit RIP Medical Debt. "We have a health care system almost perfectly designed to create debt."

The burden is forcing families to cut spending on food and other essentials. Millions are being driven from their homes or into bankruptcy, the poll found.

Medical debt is piling additional hardships on people with cancer and other chronic illnesses. Debt levels in U.S. counties with the highest rates of disease can be three or four times what they are in the healthiest counties, according to an Urban Institute analysis.

The debt is also deepening racial disparities.

And it is preventing Americans from saving for retirement, investing in their children's educations, or laying the traditional building blocks for a secure future, such as borrowing for college or buying a home. Debt from health care is nearly twice as common for adults under 30 as for those 65 and older, the KFF poll found.

Perhaps most perversely, medical debt is blocking patients from care.

About 1 in 7 people with debt said they've been denied access to a hospital, doctor, or other provider because of unpaid bills, according to the poll. An even greater share ― about two-thirds ― have put off care they or a family member need because of cost.

"It's barbaric," said Dr. Miriam Atkins, a Georgia oncologist who, like many physicians, said she's had patients give up treatment for fear of debt.

* About 50 million adults ― roughly 1 in 5 ― are paying off bills for their own care or a family member's through an installment plan with a hospital or other provider, the KFF poll found. Such debt arrangements don't appear on credit reports unless a patient stops paying.

* One in 10 owe money to a friend or family member who covered their medical or dental bills, another form of borrowing not customarily measured.

* Still more debt ends up on credit cards, as patients charge their bills and run up balances, piling high interest rates on top of what they owe for care. About 1 in 6 adults are paying off a medical or dental bill they put on a card.

How much medical debt Americans have in total is hard to know because so much isn't recorded. But an earlier KFF analysis of federal data estimated that collective medical debt totaled at least $195 billion in 2019, larger than the economy of Greece.

The credit card balances, which also aren't recorded as medical debt, can be substantial, according to an analysis of credit card records by the JPMorgan Chase Institute. The financial research group found that the typical cardholder's monthly balance jumped 34% after a major medical expense.

It is true we pay far less income, excise & social taxes than other citizens of other countries, thanks to our step-to-the-right, slash-and-repeat decades of deeming taxation as evil, and not all that necessary, either.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/gbi_ga/status/1544808920031576064?s=21&t=0EsoTzB_HNyM3oJT1RZKGw

seems like a bad portance

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Since the Georgia Guidestones turn out to be a eugenics promoting piece of trash, I am not terriblely put out about this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

This NPR story from last month sure doesn't make it sound as if only the sickest & poorest Americans are worse off than citizens of other countries; I'd think that our uniquely brutal medical debt would certainly be a factor in disposable income & cost of living.

And yet they are. Debt of any kind and medical payments as public cash transfers are all calculated in the OECD figures.

Median means the 50th percentile. Even if you include everybody who has had at least one cent of medical debt in the last 5 years in the NPR story (which counts people who have borrowed money from their family in the last 5 years as having medical debt) as "worse off" than literally any European, that is still only about 30% of Americans - which is roughly 20% less than 50%. The amount of Americans with current medical debt is about 9%. Even with medical debt, a very large percentage of Americans are better off financially than Europeans of their equivalent economic percentile.

Nobody is saying it is a great situation for everyone, but it is objectively true that the median American has more money - even after all debts, taxes, and government transfers - than the median European of any country (and far far more than the median European in general, which includes many eastern European countries that are very poor). And the original assertion that the average American has a standard of living on par with the average Indian or Brazilian is wildly wildly wrong.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 7, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The total bill would be raise $1 trillion in taxes over 10 years, reduce the deficit by $634 billion ($500 billion directly + $134 billion in indirect savings and policy changes), and add $500 billion in spending.

97.5 % of my state by area is currently in "severe drought" or worse
here is what characterizes severe drought:
-grazing land is inadequate
-fire season is longer, with high burn intensity, dry fuels, and large fire spatial extent
-trees are stressed, plants increase reproductive mechanisms, wildlife disease increase

the area at this level of drought includes the 2nd, 11th, 17th, 43th, 45th largest cities by population in the country. all told roughly 36 million people, ~10% of the entire population of the united states, in my state alone, are at least at this level of drought

59.8% of the state is currently in "extreme drought" or worse.
this is characterized by:
-livestock need expensive supplemental feed, cattle and horses are sold, little pasture remains, fruit trees bud early, producers begin irrigating in the winter
-fire season lasts year-round, fires occur in typically wet parts of the state, burn bans are implemented
-water is inadequate for agriculture wildlife, and urban needs, reservoirs are extremely low, hydropower is restricted

the area at this level of drought includes the 37th largest city by population

11.6% of the state is currently in "exceptional drought" (this is the max on the scale)
this is characterized by:
-fields are left fallow, orchards are removed, vegetable yields are low, honey harvest is small
-fire season is very costly, number of fires and are burned are extensive
-fish rescue and relocation begins, pine beetle infestation occurs, forest mortality is high, wetlands dry up, survival of native plants and animals is low, fewer wildflowers bloom, wildlife death is widespread, algae blooms appear

the area at this level of drought includes the 35th largest city by population, and a significant portion of the most productive fruit and nut agricultural land in the world

this is one aspect of climate change in one state of one country in the world.

i cannot fantom, i can't begin to understand how significantly more money is available to reduce an entry in a ledger, than there is to attempt to slow down and survive the disaster we can now all see surrounding us in our daily lives

there cannot be a measure were by this is the morally, politically, or logically correct choice. on some fundamental level it feels like an insult aimed at the value of human life

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Twincityhacker posted:

Since the Georgia Guidestones turn out to be a eugenics promoting piece of trash, I am not terriblely put out about this.
https://twitter.com/GBI_GA/status/1544808935907024898?s=20&t=_7hESmPaXEMGUZfjMr-gzA
The clip in post 2/3 had me worried it was repairable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The odds of any one random person being selected for these random hyper audits is 0.0032%.

The odds that those two specific people would be both randomly selected are 0.000000000000000026%.

A shockingly short statement from Trump.

James Comey deserves every little piece of hell on Earth he can be allotted for his role in helping Trump trip into power, so Donnie using the IRS as a nailbat against him is just :newlol:

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

The clip in post 2/3 had me worried it was repairable.

20 Ton granite slabs are pretty hard to come by. There's a tremendous amount of energy in that explosion.

Whatever was buried under them in the time capsule is likely damaged as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gunthen posted:

20 Ton granite slabs are pretty hard to come by. There's a tremendous amount of energy in that explosion.

Whatever was buried under them in the time capsule is likely damaged as well.

Yeah, I think I underestimated what happened. The clip of explosion going off left me thinking they were mostly left standing cause it cuts to a different angle, but you see one get blown in half.