Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are these the same sorts of people who don't clean themselves properly in the shower because they think touching their own butt is gay?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You guys are aware that reddit is a creative writing website and everything posted there is fiction, right?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Eric the Mauve posted:

You guys are aware that reddit is a creative writing website and everything posted there is fiction, right?
the REAL “Secret Lab” is the shower, and you should “conduct some experiments” asap

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Someone has a “I totally slipped and landed on the shampoo bottle” ER trip in the future

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Managed to get a basically unused Steelcase Leap v1 from a thrift store locally for $20; only wear was some scratches on the armrest, probably from being moved in and out of storage. The gas cylinder was stuck initially but after sitting in my garage for a couple of weeks, I think the heat and humidity loosened it up a bit, because it seems to be adjusting again without any problems. There's definitely some aging problems (the ship date on the bottom indicates this is a 22 year old chair) - it's leaving a bit of residue behind on the carpet and sinking occasionally. I think I am going to try cleaning it up and adjusting the set screw to see if that helps, but even if I have to replace the gas cylinder I'll still have paid less than a hundred bucks.

I've been working out of cheap office chairs for years and they greatly accelerated my scoliosis, I was pretty prepared to shell out for new but this one has the sense of accomplishment that comes from getting a really, really sick deal :911:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Managed to unjam the tilt mechanism of my secondhand Aeron so the back tilts properly now.

...pretty sure this makes my back hurt more than the locked back position did, and now the seat is rocking diagonally on the cylinder. Cool...

e: yeah, I probably broke something somehow. gently caress.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 10, 2022

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Mirthless posted:

Managed to get a basically unused Steelcase Leap v1 from a thrift store locally for $20; only wear was some scratches on the armrest, probably from being moved in and out of storage. The gas cylinder was stuck initially but after sitting in my garage for a couple of weeks, I think the heat and humidity loosened it up a bit, because it seems to be adjusting again without any problems. There's definitely some aging problems (the ship date on the bottom indicates this is a 22 year old chair) - it's leaving a bit of residue behind on the carpet and sinking occasionally. I think I am going to try cleaning it up and adjusting the set screw to see if that helps, but even if I have to replace the gas cylinder I'll still have paid less than a hundred bucks.

I've been working out of cheap office chairs for years and they greatly accelerated my scoliosis, I was pretty prepared to shell out for new but this one has the sense of accomplishment that comes from getting a really, really sick deal :911:

That chair looks like it’s in ridiculously good condition for being 22 years old. Sick deal for sure.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Brief review of my Embody chair (now that I've owned it for 3 years and have an opinion) - it's good. I generally have my feet up on a little footrest that comes with my desk, but unless I'm all tangled up \ have my feet on the table, my back doesn't feel particularly bad.

How does the thread feel about Anggun, Esie, Apollo or the other cheaper Herman Miller chairs Available in Israel?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Xander77 posted:

How does the thread feel about Anggun, Esie, Apollo or the other cheaper Herman Miller chairs Available in Israel?
ah yes, the Apartheid Collection

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Xander77 posted:

Brief review of my Embody chair (now that I've owned it for 3 years and have an opinion) - it's good. I generally have my feet up on a little footrest that comes with my desk, but unless I'm all tangled up \ have my feet on the table, my back doesn't feel particularly bad.

That Apollo looks like a chair that will still be functional 40 years from now. Looks like it would be heavy as hell, too.

The Esie looks like it might have a knee-tilt mechanism (similar to the Apollo) but it looks like it may come with the ability to adjust lumbar support?

If I had to guess, only the back on the Anggun leans back.

I've not ever sat in any of them, so I can't say for certain though. Probably worth a sit to try out if you can swing it; more likely than not they're better constructed than anything at Staples at a similar price point. I have no data to back that up with, however.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Several months into owning the embody and it is still loving amazing. Now I'm looking at split ergo mechanical keyboards and am falling into a rabbit hole.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TenementFunster posted:

ah yes, the Apartheid Collection
Thank you for that pertinent opinion on Israel existing \ being mentioned, forums poster TenementFunster. Any experience with the chairs in question?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 18, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Xander77 posted:

Thank you for that pertinent opinion on Israel existing \ being mentioned, forums poster TenementFunster. Any experience with the chairs in question?
gently caress Apartheid :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I may be picking up a used Aeron from a friend and driving it in a rental car from NY to DC in a month. Can I fit it in the backseat of a sedan? Would I need to get a hatchback? I'd love to avoid having to rent a pickup truck or cargo van from U-Haul.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Josh Lyman posted:

I may be picking up a used Aeron from a friend and driving it in a rental car from NY to DC in a month. Can I fit it in the backseat of a sedan? Would I need to get a hatchback? I'd love to avoid having to rent a pickup truck or cargo van from U-Haul.

I have a Mazda 3 hatchback (same usable interior volume as the sedan) and I was able to take my Aeron home without putting any seats down or anything else.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
We get to order free Steelcase Amia's for our home office, and then I'll take it to my Mom's house and put it together since my Office Master Cop chair is still fine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SkyeAuroline posted:

I have a Mazda 3 hatchback (same usable interior volume as the sedan) and I was able to take my Aeron home without putting any seats down or anything else.

I moved my Steelcase Please in a miata. But then you can fit anything into it really.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb
Anyone have any recommendations for a place in Houston to buy one of these used good chairs for cheaper than MSRP?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

KaLogain posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a place in Houston to buy one of these used good chairs for cheaper than MSRP?
https://www.corporateliquidator.com has a BIG warehouse full of office stuff. Even if you don't end up buying from them, it's a good opportunity to test fit your butt to a lot of different styles. Most of the nicer chairs will have a picture taken of and put on their website. I think when I was there last year their Embodys were ~$300 or thereabouts.

IDK what kind of return policy they have, so make sure you throughly test all the knobs and levers to see if they work. Also, if you want to delve deep into their stock, the back half of the warehouse isn't air conditioned, so bring some water or get there early in the morning to beat the heat.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

Roumba posted:

https://www.corporateliquidator.com has a BIG warehouse full of office stuff. Even if you don't end up buying from them, it's a good opportunity to test fit your butt to a lot of different styles. Most of the nicer chairs will have a picture taken of and put on their website. I think when I was there last year their Embodys were ~$300 or thereabouts.

IDK what kind of return policy they have, so make sure you throughly test all the knobs and levers to see if they work. Also, if you want to delve deep into their stock, the back half of the warehouse isn't air conditioned, so bring some water or get there early in the morning to beat the heat.

Thank you!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

A real statement piece.
the statement is "i love meth"

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Oh. So that's why my chair suddenly started tilting back and forth so easily.

Well, for about $75 total, I got, like... three months out of an Aeron. Cool I guess. And now I have a spare gas cylinder, new in the box, for a chair that I don't like and probably can't repair. At least the cylinder was a free replacement.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have a local engineering shop they can probably weld/braze that back together for you

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Question.... my classic Aeron is extremely ancient (20+ years, no date sticker). Foam pad is massively disintegrating in gross ways and covers the chair and floor in fine disintegrated foam powder and I'm sure thousands of farts trapped within. Anyway, should I bother replacing the foam pad with an Amazon special or just live with this forever? If I beat the pad the powder stops for a while, probably just many years of buildup with no one giving it a smack like I have.

The original pad seems to be a pain in the dick to remove, glued in spots with the rest crumbling and falling out, then I'd have to glue/adhesive the replacement back in.

I overpaid at ~$600 vs. your $75!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Thanks Ants posted:

If you have a local engineering shop they can probably weld/braze that back together for you

Is that part even metal? Sure feels like plastic to the touch. I know parts of the frame are aluminum, but not which ones.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh, if it's plastic then try epoxying it yourself

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

SkyeAuroline posted:

Well, for about $75 total, I got, like... three months out of an Aeron. Cool I guess. And now I have a spare gas cylinder, new in the box, for a chair that I don't like and probably can't repair. At least the cylinder was a free replacement.

$75 is pretty cheap as far as things like this go.

I’d try epoxying it.

If gorilla tape doesn’t solve your problem, you aren’t using enough of it

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

I'd probably hot stapler it first (you can go ghetto mod with heated metal paperclips too) over just going straight epoxy.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Man I wish I just took a Mirra 2 with me when I left my old job a couple years ago like a couple other people I know. Every time I try to buy one used these days they say they'll sell it, but then stop replying to messages until asking for several hundred dollars more a couple hours later. I'm guessing they usually got them from work for wfh over the past couple years and have no idea what's up until they get multiple people wanting to buy it.

How strict is the HM warranty with regards to buying second-hand? Whenever they raise the price closer to retail I usually back off because for $500 I'm okay with no warranty, but not so much when it's closer to retail. It feels like the chances are good that they're not allowed to sell them and the serial number is flagged as missing or something, so I'd be SOL even if they didn't need a sales receipt.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Coxswain Balls posted:

Man I wish I just took a Mirra 2 with me when I left my old job a couple years ago like a couple other people I know. Every time I try to buy one used these days they say they'll sell it, but then stop replying to messages until asking for several hundred dollars more a couple hours later. I'm guessing they usually got them from work for wfh over the past couple years and have no idea what's up until they get multiple people wanting to buy it.

How strict is the HM warranty with regards to buying second-hand? Whenever they raise the price closer to retail I usually back off because for $500 I'm okay with no warranty, but not so much when it's closer to retail. It feels like the chances are good that they're not allowed to sell them and the serial number is flagged as missing or something, so I'd be SOL even if they didn't need a sales receipt.

HM warranty officially is not applicable to anything not sold by HM or an authorized reseller to you, so I would assume zero coverage.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Anybody fw the HAG Capisco Puls?

I need a new standing desk height stool, to replace a wooden bar stool I've been using that is just painful after about an hour. I was originally looking at a refurbished Aeron, but I'm kinda digging this aesthetic and the fact that it's a little smaller and has no arm rests that I would need to remove. One of the main uses would be recording music so lack of arms is preferable for tracking guitar / bass / keyboards.

I'm open to other ideas too. I do like the fact that the Aeron has decades of parts availability and knowledge base out there and I don't know anything about HAG. I'd like to keep it under $1k for sure whatever I do.

edit: right after I wrote this post I found a Capisco of the correct height on sale for $250 so I decided to give it a shot.

rockear fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 9, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SkyeAuroline posted:

that’s just a plastic housing. it’s totally cosmetic, and not the reason your chair is tilting back and forth.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

rockear posted:

Anybody fw the HAG Capisco Puls?

I need a new standing desk height stool, to replace a wooden bar stool I've been using that is just painful after about an hour. I was originally looking at a refurbished Aeron, but I'm kinda digging this aesthetic and the fact that it's a little smaller and has no arm rests that I would need to remove. One of the main uses would be recording music so lack of arms is preferable for tracking guitar / bass / keyboards.

I'm open to other ideas too. I do like the fact that the Aeron has decades of parts availability and knowledge base out there and I don't know anything about HAG. I'd like to keep it under $1k for sure whatever I do.

edit: right after I wrote this post I found a Capisco of the correct height on sale for $250 so I decided to give it a shot.

Maybe a bit late now that you've put money down, but the Capiscos are all shaped like a saddle, they feel a bit like you're straddling the chair rather than sitting on it. A few of my colleagues have them and in that limited sample size I've found that people either love or hate them - I'm one of the haters fwiw.

They're definitely not badly made though, and HAG is a perfectly good company so no need to worry on that front.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

TenementFunster posted:

that’s just a plastic housing. it’s totally cosmetic, and not the reason your chair is tilting back and forth.

Great, so yet another level of "wtf is wrong with this thing".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The housing wouldn't crack if whatever it's covering up was staying in place, so I guess you have to remove the housing to see whatever is back there.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DoctorTristan posted:

Maybe a bit late now that you've put money down, but the Capiscos are all shaped like a saddle, they feel a bit like you're straddling the chair rather than sitting on it. A few of my colleagues have them and in that limited sample size I've found that people either love or hate them - I'm one of the haters fwiw.

Thanks! Yeah I figure for $250 I can afford to experiment, and find a craigslist Aeron or similar if I end up not liking it. My desk is one of those Gladiator bamboo top workbenches, so it's standing height only. I'll probably use it mostly in the way the center guy in this image is, just to give myself a periodic break from standing. This is my music and gaming station so I'm not sitting there for 8 hours on a regular basis.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Thanks Ants posted:

The housing wouldn't crack if whatever it's covering up was staying in place, so I guess you have to remove the housing to see whatever is back there.
the bottom housing on those Aerons is known to get brittle after a decade or so, and any good wack, such as rolling back into something real hard, can cause it to crack. it’s rarely a sign/cause of deeper issues.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

rockear posted:

Thanks! Yeah I figure for $250 I can afford to experiment, and find a craigslist Aeron or similar if I end up not liking it. My desk is one of those Gladiator bamboo top workbenches, so it's standing height only. I'll probably use it mostly in the way the center guy in this image is, just to give myself a periodic break from standing. This is my music and gaming station so I'm not sitting there for 8 hours on a regular basis.

Wow, perfect for youth pastors who also game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

change my name posted:

Wow, perfect for youth pastors who also game

Here's me searching the forums for good posts