Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Apparently Bryan Marchment passed away in Montreal, presumably there for the draft as he was a scout:

https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1544743212702732288?s=20&t=GDeSOM3hJaB82po9Fi8oKQ

Condolences to Mason and the family

god drat. gently caress. One of a kind player. People say we'll never see another Gretzky or Lemieux or Orr or whatever, and I believe that mostly. Connor's come close to Bobby, which I'm eternally thankful for.

But I can say with 1000% certainty that we will never see another Bryan Marchment. You may say that's for good, you may say that's for bad, call it whatever you want, you say however you want to say it, but I will miss him tremendously. The 2nd most all-time most dangerous hitter in league history (after Scott Stevens), and certainly the dirtiest. Here are some of my favorites:

Bryan Marchment innovating by hooking Nieuwendyk's knee and ramming into the boards from like fifteen feet

probably the one he's most known for, and for my money the absolute worst intentional knee-on-knee in NHL history. Neely's ended up worse but I'm surprised Rucinsky was ever able to play again

A close third to the ones above. he tried to knee Mike Modano so bad that he actually missed and got both of Modano's knees

vicious intentional knee-on-knee on Doug Weight

another crazy rear end knee on Glenn Anderson. also an interview where he says knee-on-knee hits are just "something that happens to me, and I'm gonna go out there and take my hits if they're there

Almost killing Mike Gartner for high sticking him by full speed late hitting him head first into the goal post

an insane open ice late jump hit on Kyle Wanvig. doesn't even make sense to hit like this

brutal open ice hit on Mark Recchi. again, hurts himself even more than Recchi. almost breaks Recchi's neck

maybe my favorite hit of his. launches himself like a missile into Teemu Selanne and flies into the boards himself. could have easily injured himself bad

Barely missing ending Joe Sakic's career and flipping him over with a clipping low check

another near-miss attempted clip and hip check on Brian Bellows

Jump checking Donald Brashear and giving him a visible concussion through the neutral zone

a brutal blindside KO hit on Scott Pellerin

pushing Pat Verbeek's feet out from under him after Verbeek scores

sucker punching Rob Pearson

making Tony Twist so mad that Twist tries to Bertuzzi him

manhandling Guy Carbonneau and throwing him on the net

reverse elbowing Modano in the face

Marchment trying to end Bure's career with a clip, then Bure doing his Shane Churla routine on Marchment lol. he kinda Kovalev-Tuckered him a bit too by faking going for the puck. love Bure.

following and then elbowing Lubos Bartecko about 10s late

another hit on Selanne, this time late, and then cross checking Steve Rucchin in the face

...this is just the stuff there's easy-to-find video on. the 90s were a different time. RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Goddamn Twister was a beauty. Shame Marchment turtled like a punk

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

40 goals in like a thousand games lol. Amazing. Suck for his family. Enjoy hell, you gonny bastard piece of poo poo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Especially since if he'd ever played against Letang he would 100% have murdered him on the ice or died trying.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1544781677079273481

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

The details seem to indicate though that he is not stuck there. And only one guy can make sure he doesn't leave. Just grabbing some juicy lines from the article here.

Michael Russo of The Athletic posted:

“We’re trying to find out as much as we can, but we’re not worried too much about it,” Guerin said. “I’ve talked to (Kaprizov’s agent) Paul (Theofanous). We’re not going to push the panic button or anything like that. We’re just trying to gather information right now and find out if this is even credible.”

“You’re in the Army, but your job is to play hockey,” one Russian source said. “Somebody’s job is to drive a tank and your job is to hold a stick.”

“He did everything they asked,” said a source close with many Russian players. “That’s why he stayed so long without coming to the States, because they asked him to do it — official people asked him to do it.”

Asked how concerned he is that Kaprizov could be forced to remain in Russia, a source knowledgeable of the goings-on in Russia said he’s not — “unless it’s coming straight from the top, and you know who I mean.”

“If it’s coming from the person (Putin), and he says Kirill’s not going anywhere, then he’s not going anywhere,” the source said. “Unless it’s coming from that one person, everybody else is going to be OK. Only one person can make him stay, not nobody else.

“But is it possible? Like a small percentage, of course, because he’s one of the biggest names to make an example. What are you going to make an example of: Fedotov, who is going to be in the AHL, or a star in the league? If you want to make the news, you grab the best one you can. I think he’s in a good standing with extremely high-up people, but if push comes to shove and they want to make an example of him, they will obviously. They’ll forget about everything else — all the good things he’s done for the country.”

Also holy poo poo that video list of all the Marchment hits is crazy. RIP You piece of poo poo.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

lol this owns so much

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1544784688719478784?s=20&t=EZ4lLdeiAYh0VPNoGs1sXQ

I don't like that this hasn't gotten done yet.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/patrick_lortie/status/1544713610987028482?s=21&t=hW7iNS9g6B7ikeKQZ6D-Yw

I’m going to become the Joker

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/BrianHedger/status/1544795926643912705

This seems reasonable at worst and highway robbery at best for a young defenseman who scored 11 last year and has potential big upside.

e- https://twitter.com/jjbernet327/status/1544796997881925633

Adam Boqvist, Jake Bean, Cole Sillinger, and #6 for Seth Jones and what amounts to two prospects.

Fuckin' :laffo:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 6, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Get out of a bad contract and get the 7th overall

gently caress I dunno that's a toughie

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Good loving god

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
He can’t seem to score more than 40 points in a season, but man is Josh Anderson Big and Fast i’m sure he’s on a reasonable contra

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Ottawa busting out of the rebuild way too early... The true roadmap of a Canadian rebuild!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/BrianHedger/status/1544795926643912705

This seems reasonable at worst and highway robbery at best for a young defenseman who scored 11 last year and has potential big upside.

e- https://twitter.com/jjbernet327/status/1544796997881925633

Adam Boqvist, Jake Bean, Cole Sillinger, and #6 for Seth Jones and what amounts to two prospects.

Fuckin' :laffo:

great deal. would be nice if other divisions didn't do franchise-altering trades with non-NYR teams in the Metro.

Laine/Roslovic and that haul is a fantastic couple of moves for Jarmo

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Misanthrope posted:

Ottawa busting out of the rebuild way too early... The true roadmap of a Canadian rebuild!

Has it been 4 years already? Can't believe Ottawa is gonna be a cup winner!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I’ve often wondered how much Washington could get in a trade for Tom Wilson given how much other teams are looking for the next Tom Wilson.

This fascination with Josh Anderson bewilders me.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Remember when Ottawa was good?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

I’ve often wondered how much Washington could get in a trade for Tom Wilson given how much other teams are looking for the next Tom Wilson.

This fascination with Josh Anderson bewilders me.

Like Wilson I think Anderson's game does play up in the playoffs because he is big, fast, and a raging rear end in a top hat. It's a skill/personality set that plays better when the whistles are stuck in officials' esophagi.

Of course for that to matter you have to be in the playoffs so it beats hell out of me what Ottawa wants with him.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

bure could really lay some wood into an illegal hit for a not huge mega-skill guy. probably the gigantic leg muscles let him put a lot of power into everything

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Regulate the Senators

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

*Relegate

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

eXXon posted:

Pronger was like a more talented Bryan Marchment.

Jeez, I didn't mean to kill the guy.

Anyway, sadly, I can't find a clip of Bryan Marchment basically ending his career on January 6, 2006, when he tried to knee Jason Allison but succeeded only in taking himself out for nearly two months. He did return and finished the season but I sure hope that encouraged him to retire and get the gently caress out of the league. What a scumbag he was.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Melnyk died for nothing

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

WeaponX posted:

Regulate the Senators

These things can both be true.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Habibi posted:

These things can both be true.

Lol I meant what I said

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/danriccio_/status/1544814756975878144?t=2sFGu2hBZoiLrEL5Rq3r5g&s=19

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

The twists and turns of the JT Miller saga are giving me whiplash, f5

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol, I hope Vancity give him 10 mil until he's *checks* hahahahhhah thirty-loving-seven. amazing.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
BrooksAnon reporting the Rangers are probably buying out Nemeth. Bye bye.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's been a real choose your own adventure and we're on the last page and it's like

if you resign Miller to a long term extension turn to page 114.

if you trade Miller to the Capitals turn to page 83.

if you pick up the phone and try Chris Drury's number again turn to page 19.

if you hold onto Miller until the deadline turn to page 6.

Except all of them end with

You do not win the cup. Your journey is over. Go back and start again and perhaps try rebuilding properly this time?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

:shrug:

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/andystrickland/status/1544800471159898122?s=21&t=hW7iNS9g6B7ikeKQZ6D-Yw

This league owns

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Aren't they not allowed to start negotiating until July 13th? Or is it just that he can't sign a new contract until then?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

fermun posted:

Aren't they not allowed to start negotiating until July 13th? Or is it just that he can't sign a new contract until then?

Other teams can't negotiate with him until the free agency window opens. The Canucks still have the right to negotiate an extension and prevent him from going UFA.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

fawning deference posted:

Other teams can't negotiate with him until the free agency window opens. The Canucks still have the right to negotiate an extension and prevent him from going UFA.

His free agency window opens summer 2023, july 13th is the start of the last year of his current contract

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Well if it doesn't work out you can always just pay him 3 mil to abort the contract.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

RIP, you played very badly at times. I've heard you were better in other places. hopefully this means we might get Jones/Schneider as the full-time 3rd pair next year, which I would be 100% in to.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fermun posted:

They can't sign a new contract until the 13th but of course they can discuss things beforehand.

The Dirty Burger posted:

The twists and turns of the JT Miller saga are giving me whiplash, f5

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/1544825907591921666?s=20&t=c9CF24qKvy3zNlsX-qnQ8A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

The Dirty Burger posted:

Melnyk died for nothing

Still worth it.