Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

It must be frightening. Pregnancy is already not a super safe condition (I've heard the risk of a woman dying in pregnancy is used by actuaries as the maximum acceptable risk of death for any insurable event).

It's terrifying how common it is. One friend from grad school died from sepsis after delivery, leaving her husband and three kids without a wife/mother. My wife nearly checked out because someone (the anesthesiologist?) wrote down her weight as 150 instead of 115, so the amount of epidural going through her system was enough to drop her blood pressure and heart rate into bear hibernation territory (as well as cause temporary paralysis). They did an emergency C-section and she and the baby ended up being okay, but seeing it happen firsthand was loving unreal.

Edit: made this post at 12:28 on Page 12:30 :smith:

IT BURNS fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1544730616431841281

Ah! Well...

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1544730620802260994

If only they had hit that transition 3 with 5:48 in the 3rd.

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1544730625256693760

All Cops Are Buffoons

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they missed a lane shift while one officer was jungling and ended up losing a tower before the match really got started, got it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PostNouveau posted:

I wouldn't want to raise a kid in Texas. Or even attempt to have one, you can't get proper health care for pregnancy. poo poo, you can't get proper regular health care, pharmacies are starting to not fill prescriptions that might cause miscarriages.

We're bolting at least in part because the way things are going "my kid corrected someone on which pronoun daddy uses so now there's a CPS investigation" is a realistic possibility.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Svanja posted:

Where did you end up going?

I'm in Michigan now. Much less heat, much better people. The people part's not universally true across the state, but there are many fewer here than in Texas. Texas is a beautiful state run by very ugly people.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

i say swears online posted:

they missed a lane shift while one officer was jungling and ended up losing a tower before the match really got started, got it

I hate that I understand this.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lost momentum = poo poo their pants

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

biceps crimes posted:

You can escape the Texas state government by moving out but I don't get these people in my social media implying that they can escape the supreme court by moving to a more liberal state.

The SCOTUS can effectively strike down basically every federal law, leaving it to the states. Some states actually try to govern and Texas ain’t one of them. What they call governing is more akin to those weird conversations I’ve had with relatives where they decide that maybe placing snipers every 10 miles all along the border is good border policy while drinking liquor they didn’t pay for.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Zil posted:

I hate that I understand this.

Explain it to me,TIA

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's a dota honeypot, don't ask

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The Bananana posted:

Explain it to me,TIA

Strategy talk from the game League of legends. Be thankful you dont know anything

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This Illinois shooting has me wondering: do all states have an extremely swanky exurb called Highland Park

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I don’t for a second believe that cops resisted the urge to shoot a “bad guy with a gun”.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

poemdexter posted:

I don’t for a second believe that cops resisted the urge to shoot a “bad guy with a gun”.

They weren't sure whether they knew them or not

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol, I never played league

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

They weren't sure whether they knew them or not

“If you’re here, and I’m here, and the whole department is outside then that means…. Oh poo poo I’m in danger, I gotta get the gently caress outta here”

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's still some really nice places to live in the burbs and cities. Good public schools, good infrastructure, decent local governments. You can still find some good deals on homes in the metroplex and I'm sure it's the same for areas in Houston and San Antonio. You just have to tune out the stream of bad news coming out of state government.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

IT BURNS posted:

It's terrifying how common it is. One friend from grad school died from sepsis after delivery, leaving her husband and three kids without a wife/mother. My wife nearly checked out because someone (the anesthesiologist?) wrote down her weight as 150 instead of 115, so the amount of epidural going through her system was enough to drop her blood pressure and heart rate into bear hibernation territory (as well as cause temporary paralysis). They did an emergency C-section and she and the baby ended up being okay, but seeing it happen firsthand was loving unreal.

My wife and I helped out with a support group related to neo-natal deaths and heard so many stories of what can go wrong and when. There's enough problems that come up even when every person involved is doing the right things at the right times. Bad poo poo happens all the time and most of the time nobody can see it coming.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

zoux posted:

This Illinois shooting has me wondering: do all states have an extremely swanky exurb called Highland Park

Dont know about outside of Pittsburgh, but there highland park is a moderately swanky part of the city instead!

(It probably used to be the swanky suburb ages ago before the city grew up around it.)

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

jokes posted:

The SCOTUS can effectively strike down basically every federal law, leaving it to the states. Some states actually try to govern and Texas ain’t one of them. What they call governing is more akin to those weird conversations I’ve had with relatives where they decide that maybe placing snipers every 10 miles all along the border is good border policy while drinking liquor they didn’t pay for.

It’s “down to the state”, unless the supreme court disagrees with it, such as the New York gun safety law they struck down.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Dallas did try and fail to subsume highland and university parks (which had both sought to join Dallas (and highland park) previously)

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

poemdexter posted:

what if that first cop never felt that urge, because his brain resisted recognizing the guy as "bad guy"? perhaps that hesitation says more about who the cops reflexively interpret as "bad guy" than it does about their willingness to shoot once someone has been coded as "bad guy".

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Blotto_Otter posted:

what if that first cop never felt that urge, because his brain resisted recognizing the guy as "bad guy"? perhaps that hesitation says more about who the cops reflexively interpret as "bad guy" than it does about their willingness to shoot once someone has been coded as "bad guy".

This is a very verbose way to say they didn’t shoot because he was white, I think?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

radical meme posted:

You just have to tune out the stream of bad news coming out of state government.

And also just not be trans or gender-nonconforming or someone who may be able to get pregnant or have darker skin and need to go anywhere or dress in anything but clothes typical for your gender, etc.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I miss when this thread was about BBQ and the presence of beans in chili.

I’m not singling out specific posters, I just miss when we were slightly more blissfully ignorant of how dumb as poo poo the state was.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

poemdexter posted:

This is a very verbose way to say they didn’t shoot because he was white, I think?

pretty much, I didn’t phrase it like that because I don’t know exactly what the shooter looked like and don’t know if he should be called white or Hispanic. I don’t know exactly where the shooter falls when you try to start assigning labels, but his appearance clearly got him treated differently by the cops in comparison to, say, that unarmed black guy who got shot 60 times in a traffic stop last week by police up in Akron, OH.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cael posted:

I’m not singling out specific posters, I just miss when we were slightly more blissfully ignorant of how dumb as poo poo the state was.

Lol, "if you do not know about something, you do not worry about it."

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Cael posted:

I don't think there was ever a blissful ignorance era of the thread, we just had more space between the awful news that we could fill with Texas passtimes of arguing about BBQ and such.

radical meme posted:

Lol, "if you do not know about something, you do not worry about it."

:rolleyes:

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

saintonan posted:

I'm in Michigan now. Much less heat, much better people. The people part's not universally true across the state, but there are many fewer here than in Texas. Texas is a beautiful state run by very ugly people.

Agreed. We just couldn't bear to stay any longer than needed. At least we have a fighting chance politically in the area we chose.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Just as long as dumbass Michigan militia aren't successful in kidnapping your Dem governor next time sure.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
This thread is gonna be lit the first time there's a mass shooter at a chili cookoff.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

yankee reactionary supreme court breaks texas state government by issuing ruling that beans are required in chili

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I've never supported Texas succession, and don't you tempt me.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mass grilling of ribs must be sanctioned and subsidized on street corners

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dameius posted:

I don't think there was ever a blissful ignorance era of the thread, we just had more space between the awful news that we could fill with Texas passtimes of arguing about BBQ and such.

:rolleyes:

Mickey Rivers:

quote:

“Ain't no sense worryin' about the things you got control over, 'cause if you got control over 'em, ain't no sense worryin'. And ain't no sense worryin' about the things you don't got control over, 'cause if you don't got control over 'em, ain't no sense worryin'.”

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1544707199137726464

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Whoops mark tippett?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Im jealous of those of you leaving. I chose a career that is inexorably tied to this state and nowhere else and I'm too far down the path to make a change.

At least my kids are all boys. If one of them ends up GLBT I think we would move though, no matter the income shock.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Y'all talking about chili like that was a better time are going to be shocked when there's some 6-3 Supreme Court decision on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Y'all talking about chili like that was a better time are going to be shocked when there's some 6-3 Supreme Court decision on it.

Yeah but they’d most likely hear arguments from Paxton and Cruz and rule that Texas’ minority view on the matter must be imposed on everyone. Even a stopped clock and all that.