Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

whats all this "psychologically rich life" stuff supposed to mean/do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
edit: poorly thought out

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Marzzle posted:

It looks like it's just bullshit navel-gazing. saying that having new and interesting things in your life is important to happiness.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Jolyon is a male given name, a Medieval spelling variant of Julian, originating in England."

sickest poo poo I've read in this thread so far THANKS for the nightmares

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Marzzle posted:

It's the professional psychological equivalent of putting a May You Always Live in Interesting Times HomeGoods wall art in a kitchen with no stoves, an empty pantry, and poisoned water. And you rent the home and didn't put the sign up, not allowed to remove it

The guys who brought you you'll own nothing and be happy, shockingly, love it and they can't wait to help you feel good for the first time

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Danger posted:

I recall when PDS was on Chapo or something last year and everyone in the cspam podcast thread were like “who is this lame kook this is boring, why is this person on the show” and I did a big ol lol

edit: oh poo poo even better it was True Anon not Chapo.

I will admit it's perhaps not his best media form but that episode still rocked, his books rock, PDS rocks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JimmyFalunGong/status/1544836358199468032

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

huh what? dude's just loving as many women as any reddit commenter turned richest man in the world would

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

huh what? dude's just loving as many women as any reddit commenter turned richest man in the world would

how daddy own emerald slaves

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

sonatinas posted:

iirc it was just some kid’s musings being wealth adjacent in Southern California along with misogyny and kill fantasies

it’s been awhile since I’ve read it.

it was just straight up extreme narcissism, like he was upset and stopped hanging out with his friend because his friend didnt get over the sudden death of his mother in a week.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

fanfic insert posted:

it was just straight up extreme narcissism, like he was upset and stopped hanging out with his friend because his friend didnt get over the sudden death of his mother in a week.

yeah well his friend didn't even have any good Dreamcast games so :shrug:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Private Cumshoe posted:

yeah well his friend didn't even have any good Dreamcast games so :shrug:

eliot rodger would have grown up with ps3 games

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Shear Modulus posted:

eliot rodger would have grown up with ps3 games

Neither Elliot Rodger nor his friend could help that the PS3 had no good games :shrug:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Marzzle posted:

it's positive psychology based on "bad things are good, actually" instead of optimizing yourself for happiness, more or less.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Shear Modulus posted:

It looks like it's just bullshit navel-gazing. saying that having new and interesting things in your life is important to happiness.
didn't we already go thru this all 2500 years ago and then again 200 years ago?

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

StashAugustine posted:

Eliot Roger's manifesto was really funny

i never read the whole thing but I appreciated the excerpts of him elevating Frappuccinos to the status of high society gentleman's drink, before (repeatedly) hurling them at whoever made him mad and running away

he was so hilariously pathetic that he actually slowed down shootings for a bit out of fear of association, before chan culture saw being an absolute failure as a virtue

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
his manifesto is hilariously sad because it's one part whining about his luxurious upbringing and two parts trying to present himself as an anime villain. there's a bit where he's creeping on a girl and gets thrown over a balcony, busts his ankle. so, he hobbles back into the party to start poo poo -- and gets thrown over the balcony again.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

his manifesto is hilariously sad because it's one part whining about his luxurious upbringing and two parts trying to present himself as an anime villain. there's a bit where he's creeping on a girl and gets thrown over a balcony, busts his ankle. so, he hobbles back into the party to start poo poo -- and gets thrown over the balcony again.

lmao

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

could have done great things if he applied that persistence elsewhere. too bad!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

I think it’s great that they’ve invented a way for everyone to have a quality of life.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My apologies for posting a Jezebel article but if you're looking for an excuse to not have to watch the Real Housewives with your girlfriend, just say its because one of the cast members sex trafficed actresses to Saudi royals

https://jezebel.com/who-is-diana-jenkins-really-1849130832

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bravowned

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Private Cumshoe posted:

Neither Elliot Rodger nor his friend could help that the PS3 had no good games :shrug:

I shudder to think what monsters the PS5 shortage is creating

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Another Bill posted:

I shudder to think what monsters the PS5 shortage is creating

given the bitcoin crash easing up the gpu market probably pc gamers

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

wasnt there a nazi scientist that managed to figure out some sort of hormone treatment that increased the likelihood of getting twins, and that one of the german communities in south america had like an abnormal amount of twins?

probably unrelated

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

fanfic insert posted:

wasnt there a nazi scientist that managed to figure out some sort of hormone treatment that increased the likelihood of getting twins, and that one of the german communities in south america had like an abnormal amount of twins?

probably unrelated

Pretty sure Musk used IVF. His first wife had 5 sons in two years.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chamale posted:

Pretty sure Musk used IVF. His first wife had 5 sons in two years.

that poor lady

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

fanfic insert posted:

probably unrelated

you're definitely thinking of colonia dignidad in Chile, which was a nazi cult community run after WW2 which had an incidence of twins impossible to explain by coincidence. dunno that ive ever seen a specific scientist credited with it, but a bunch of nazi scientists had an obsession with twins, mengele being the most famous, but definitely not the only one with that odd obsession.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

quote:

Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
Guide reproduction wisely – improving fitness and diversity.
Unite humanity with a living new language.
Rule passion – faith – tradition – and all things with tempered reason.
Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
Balance personal rights with social duties.
Prize truth – beauty – love – seeking harmony with the infinite.
Be not a cancer on the Earth – Leave room for nature – Leave room for nature.

Well, this is obviously SATANIC and needs to be [redacted] in Minecraft. :rolleyes:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zodium posted:

it's positive psychology based on "bad things are good, actually" instead of optimizing yourself for happiness, more or less.

maybe "variety" in life means hardship but from what i skimmed it just seemed like people talking up the value of being intellectually engaged and not bored. it looks less "things are great actually even though they look bad" than steven pinker or yuval noah harari.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Shear Modulus posted:

maybe "variety" in life means hardship but from what i skimmed it just seemed like people talking up the value of being intellectually engaged and not bored. it looks less "things are great actually even though they look bad" than steven pinker or yuval noah harari.

Tbf wouldn't be the first time legitimately helpful psychological techniques were abused by the ruling class

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

StashAugustine posted:

Tbf wouldn't be the first time legitimately helpful psychological techniques were abused by the ruling class

thankfully, though, it’s the last!

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004
from Aberration in the Heartland of the Real:

“...similar to the previously discussed concept of snapping, and shedding additional light upon newer Lone Gunmen, are cultural theories about postmodern hyper-reality; a condition that results from an increasingly virtual “lived” experience in which “every means of consumption is a simulated setting, or has simulated elements, or simulated people, or simulated products...As a result, it is no longer clear what is real and unreal.”

Pairs wonderfully with Bo Burnham’s most recent comedy special Inside, which although it’s comedy, has occasional big Epstein thread vibes from mentioning the pedophile cabal that runs the world to a kind of glaring reference to 9/11 in his song about the internet and why it was made, to warning how zoomer’s phones will give them dissociative disorders in their 30’s. Great stuff

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Azathoth posted:

you're definitely thinking of colonia dignidad in Chile, which was a nazi cult community run after WW2 which had an incidence of twins impossible to explain by coincidence. dunno that ive ever seen a specific scientist credited with it, but a bunch of nazi scientists had an obsession with twins, mengele being the most famous, but definitely not the only one with that odd obsession.

I think you're confusing two different places, the twin town was in Brazil and iirc it turned out the area's high rate of twins predated any weird nazi doctors showing up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Private Cumshoe posted:

PS3 had Demon's Souls and Armroed Core For Answer.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Animal-Mother posted:

Well, this is obviously SATANIC and needs to be [redacted] in Minecraft. :rolleyes:

the guy that made it might have been a David duke fan so the stuff about “guiding” reproduction and “protecting” nations is extremely literal.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

yeah that's not just poetic language but an explicit call for an ethnostate, eugenics, and bootlicking

the guidestones were bad

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

MonsieurChoc posted:

PS3 had Demon's Souls and Armroed Core For Answer.

both of those didn’t come out on ps3 for years, talladega nights was the best game on launch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Torpor posted:

the guy that made it might have been a David duke fan so the stuff about “guiding” reproduction and “protecting” nations is extremely literal.

I saw the John Oliver segment, their proof of the author is basically nothing. A Christian fundamentalist filmmaker claims to have seen a name hidden in a box.