Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
FFXIV's performance does not scale infinitely upwards, you're hitting engine limitations, not hardware limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

All I can read from this is that not even the mightiest of CPUs can deal with the eldritch abomination that is Limsa.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Holy crap, the billboard thing just made primetime. Hoeg Law (one of the folks in the loose collective of "lawtube" lawyers, most well known for recently covering the Depp v. Heard trial) just did a vlog on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiWHa04qugU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Warmachine posted:

lol what? No. You're dealing with something fairly unique to the MMO space, with a processor that may as well be a two-year old Lamborghini. It's your money/I don't pay for your components but upgrading to a 5xxx because you're CPU bound in Limsa is :psyduck:

Come on, I've been trying to justify an upgrade since they came out! Are you in league with my fiancée?

But yeah, I'll wait for AM5 and the FFXIV 7.0 overhaul before I spend a lot more optimizing for it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve got a 3950X, but I’ll keep an eye on CPU utilization, thanks. Maybe it’s time for an upgrade…

lol that's a hell of a chip, and not a particularly old one i think. i'd guess, while the game can take advantage of multiple threads, it's hitting an issue from single core performance and you're not gonna get a proportionate amount of perf for the money you put in.
That said I recently upgraded to a 12700k from a 6600k and went from 45ish fps to 90-95 in limsa, but thats the only place I had with a dramatic jump like that. But on the other hand trying to make purchasing decisions based on the limsa plaza seems like a fool's errand

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Come on, I've been trying to justify an upgrade since they came out! Are you in league with my fiancée?

But yeah, I'll wait for AM5 and the FFXIV 7.0 overhaul before I spend a lot more optimizing for it.

I mean, if you want to upgrade for the fun of it, do it! Nothing wrong with that. But because you can't view 100 dancing catgirls at frame locked 144Hz? :reject:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Limsa also depends on the server, on Gilgamesh and Balmung and the like I bet Maximum players gives 60-40 FPS even to the beefiest PCs.

That reminds me I'll try out the Data Centrel travel once it's calmed down and I finish levelling RDM to 70 to buy Eureka stuff lol what else would I use it for?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

5800X3D gets me about 100 fps while looking at the busy Limsa aetheryte crowd. I doubt it gets much better than that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FuturePastNow posted:

5800X3D gets me about 100 fps while looking at the busy Limsa aetheryte crowd. I doubt it gets much better than that.

That's garbage. Buy something better and just send me your old stuff I'll dispose of it for you.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

sassassin posted:

That's garbage. Buy something better and just send me your old stuff I'll dispose of it for you.

I would not trust Teledji Adeledji to dispose of e-waste properly.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Warmachine posted:

I would not trust Teledji and Adeledji to dispose of e-waste properly.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Tfw when you finally get to DC travel to Balmung and when you go to sign your friend's guestbook you find out they died. :smith: I was wondering why I hadn't heard from them since April. Met them way back in FFXI.

RIP Miya Sha. Regret not being able to play with you more due to me transferring to another DC.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

https://twitter.com/nightmodeyokai/status/1544729948782575616?t=KgTMy5ieidnWdHTwWlYvaw&s=19

as a long-time resident of balmung myself, i have to say: some mfers on this server really need to step outside once in a while

e:

Kazy posted:

Tfw when you finally get to DC travel to Balmung and when you go to sign your friend's guestbook you find out they died. :smith: I was wondering why I hadn't heard from them since April. Met them way back in FFXI.

RIP Miya Sha. Regret not being able to play with you more due to me transferring to another DC.

that really sucks, and is always something i worry about whenever an internet friend drops contact for a while :( sorry for you, bud.

Solovey fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 6, 2022

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

So poo poo, one consequence already of the billboards fiasco is the Anamnesis team is internally discussing making it so you can't wear unreleased things, which is a huge goddamn bummer.

Thankfully it's still easy to edit the id numbers and do it yourself if they do do that, but it's still a lovely consequence for gposers and picture takers.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

So poo poo, one consequence already of the billboards fiasco is the Anamnesis team is internally discussing making it so you can't wear unreleased things, which is a huge goddamn bummer.

Thankfully it's still easy to edit the id numbers and do it yourself if they do do that, but it's still a lovely consequence for gposers and picture takers.

who cares, go fishing, touch grass, lmao

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

https://twitter.com/Pixel_Thiefy/status/1544804964790407171?s=20&t=9jcr8PiDca7iwRpZku3ldw

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oh no. The housing drama is evolving. Adapting.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Trash Ops posted:

:catte:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Trash Ops posted:

can't talk now, setting up new glams for FSH and BTN

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

I wasn't laughing at the billboard people, but I would like to be clear I am laughing at this person specifically

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lol, the names are blocked out, you're the one that put the target on yourself

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, wow, 100% own goal right there

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I always forget how self-serious RPers are

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Wow do I ever regret clicking on that profile

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

In fact, this is them tagging Squenix and literally admitting to targeted harrassment of their own!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I now want a house and to make it as ugly as possible

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Consummate Professional posted:

I now want a house and to make it as ugly as possible

For many years, I had the Paissa design for my medium personal house. It's one of the best. Unfortunately, when I upgraded it to a large, I had to switch it because the large Paissa house sucks.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
In-universe lore, all the player housing wards are explicitly for adventurers, who are noted to have... eclectic tastes. There's no homeowner associations in place in part because the various nations wish to encourage peoples from all over to have a reason to stick around doing their odd jobs and monster hunting their regular forces can't be spared for. So I can only imagine this as someone roleplaying as one of those people who always send you to investigate the local housing district, except that they then go on to become an adventurer themselves purely to obtain said local housing, but they're still unsatisfied because there's all these ADVENTURERS around!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm an adventurer god drat it i aint got no time to mow the loving lawn

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Killing the cop in your head includes the fantasy HOA

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also my retainers are always bringing back someone's random house walls that they claim "fell off a truck," what else am I supposed to do with them

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Martman posted:

Also my retainers are always bringing back someone's random house walls that they claim "fell off a truck," what else am I supposed to do with them

I sell those to the Domans. What I'm really after is a single wind crystal.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
My RP Canon: I'm a dumb lizard from fantasy mongolia I like adventure and friendship and comedy

Some People's RP Canon: I think this society of xenophobic isolationists is on to something here. How can I use this to aggressively police others?

Actually RPing an old-fashioned elezen traditionalist who gets flustered by everything new and modern that young people like is comedy gold if you go to the venues and give other people something to bounce off of and ham up being a fuddy duddy(and gradually warm up.) This dude just hates fun and literally roleplays Kahn from King of the Hi... no, that could be funny too. Is this guy some HOA narc irl? :v:

how does he feel about mounts that aren't grounded in lore/MSQ acquisition

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Doomykins posted:

Look the God of Halloween gave me this broom it's CANON

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Doomykins posted:

Oh, this? A wandering minstrel wrote some fanfiction about me time traveling to the distant past and beating up a power-mad scientist, and it was so badass that now I can summon a three-headed bird made of fire. Totally canon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id just make my house as shirogane-ish as possible and rp as president of the 'shirogane culture appreciation society' and have a bunch of guys in kimono glams come over every weekend to discuss whatever the eorzea equivalent of isekai light novels is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

reborn in another world as a goobbue

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

blastron posted:

Oh, this? A wandering minstrel wrote some fanfiction about me time traveling to the distant past and beating up a power-mad scientist, and it was so badass that now I can summon a three-headed bird made of fire. Totally canon.

You just tame the phoenix phoinix.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Square Inix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

reborn in another world as a goobbue