Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Lifespan what was the deal with Mixer's demise from the Xbox side? Was there going to be more of a plan to integrate game streaming etc prior to its death or was it always sort of a weird anomaly off to the side, like a bullet point to match up with twitch/amazon.

I have an ex colleague from a company way back who was one of the Mixer leads and it sounded like it was actually a pretty good quality product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
When is Youtube going to allow background audio, I want my chillhop in my House Flipper dag nab it

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Thanks for this. Redeeemed some bing points for Amazon gift cards and snagged it for $10. It doesn’t show up on my owned games on the actual console, but if you go into the Xbox app it is installable from there.

Part of why I hate buying games digitally.
Despite having redeemed King of Fighters XV deluxe the same way it still doesn’t recognize me owning it in the Xbox store on the console.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I finished the first DLC for Metro Exodus. It was complete poo poo lol. Took like an hour.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Ruffian Price posted:

If you're on PC, unironically Ryse. Super constrained on console despite working as a technical benchmark, max settings and 60fps let the fights sing

I do have a PC although it's from 2017, with a 1060 3gb so idk.

I did just download it to my Xbox so we'll see - my TV has VRR so honestly 30 fps looks fine to me in, for example, Elden Ring.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I finished the first DLC for Metro Exodus. It was complete poo poo lol. Took like an hour.

The one where you just hit goo with a flamethrower?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The only really good metro DLC was the Last Light one that added a little mini survival mode area

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seltzer posted:

The one where you just hit goo with a flamethrower?

yeah I couldn’t be lune how bad it was.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Playing CoD:BLOPS2 instead. Now that’s win.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Be lune

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that’s Russian for believe

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Keanu fans take note, Matrix UE5 tech demo is getting removed:

quote:

The UE5 tech demo will only be available in stores until July 9. Download it before that date and you’ll still be able to access the demo going forward—or re-download it if you’ve deleted it from your console.

It’s 30GB, btw.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
thats just for console right, you can still DL and use the assets for your own projects or whatever in the actual UE5 editor?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The editor content should hopefully be safe, as they removed all the Matrix branding from it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ohh I only experienced the PC Editor janky form, didn't realize it had branding beyond your character being whats her face. i need to steal their car blueprint at some point for that easy gta, grab n go car style.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Apparently the Matrix Unreal Engine demo is being delisted in a couple days so you should add to your library if you haven't already (it should be free forever if you do this).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

John F Bennett posted:

Oh hey, it's another one of those games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPiKDFxK7xA

I'll probably check it out.

for some reason i bounced off this when i tried it on steam, but i can't really remember why

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

precision posted:

for some reason i bounced off this when i tried it on steam, but i can't really remember why

All the profanity and sexual innuendo, probably

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Lifespan, do you know who's idea it was to put Too Human for free on the store? I love that. Yeah, it's trash, but it's fascinating trash.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Lifespan posted:

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. There are a bunch of initiatives that got pretty far but never saw the light of day and a portable console was never one of them. I would be very shocked if there was ever a true handheld Xbox. Digital Foundry's piece on why there might not be a "Pro" this generation makes a ton of sense. The only thing I believe would inspire a "Pro" would be if it was easier to cost cut with newer/faster components.

Thanks for all your great stories, Lifespan. Would it be all right if I posted this reply (with full credit of course) to another forum? I saw people who were pretty convinced a handheld was coming, so this might help. No worries if you'd rather not.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Lammasu posted:

Lifespan, do you know who's idea it was to put Too Human for free on the store? I love that. Yeah, it's trash, but it's fascinating trash.

Isn't it due to them losing the lawsuit against epic for their use of the unreal engine?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Douche4Sale posted:

Isn't it due to them losing the lawsuit against epic for their use of the unreal engine?
Well yeah, that's why it got taken down. Microsoft made a deal where it would still be available if they gave it away for free.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Lifespan posted:

I don't think there is one central thought on it. Sony has been in to gimmicks for a while with their controller having a touchpad, motion sensing, speaker/mic, etc. The team definitely played with all sorts of ideas and talked to lots of devs before they decided on the controller they shipped. My guess (I wasn't "in the room") is that they saw limited adoption of all these components from devs and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. For haptics, the Xbox One controller had better haptics than the DS4 and while HD Rumble on the Switch is great, third party support also was pretty limited showing that developers did not prioritize it. They decided to instead refine the design somewhat and implement DLI. I definitely would have liked to see them add at least one more new feature and I think players mostly agree that the haptics on the DualSense are its best feature. Xbox has a history of releasing new models of controllers well in to a generation, so I wouldn't give up hope yet.

I've always maintained the haptics and VR hype is massively overstated. I cynically believe the controller haptics was developed in part to use in marketing to convince people how "next gen" the PS5 is when both systems are really very similar and not huge upgrades over the last generation (especially the midgen consoles). Don't get me wrong the series X is a great step up from my one but there's less wow factor going from generation to generation now and the haptics and secret hyper SSD talk always seemed like Blast Processing type stuff to move units. I imagine the haptics get used for 1st party games and then slightly for 3rd party games where its easy (shooters, racers). I haven't used a ps5 controller myself but I can't see haptics being the big game changer it is marketed as. As for VR I have zero desire to own one even if I had the hardware for it and I enjoy games where it would theoretically be cool (flight sim hitman etc). I'm sure its fun to try for a few minutes but I would never shell out the cash for one or use it much if I had it. Not a single person I know who plays games wants or has one either. I need to try the ps5 controller before I can speak with authority but Quick Resume, how MS handles cloud saves over generations, and Smart Delivery are cooler to me than a controller that massages fingers .

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the XBOX controller only needs gyro and it'd be perfect. And I hope they never switch from AA batteries

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The PS5 haptics are fantastic with 1st party titles, and still very good with cross platform stuff. So much so that I’ll switch to the ps5 to play rocket league. It’s just better enough to make me feel that FOMO when not using it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sounds like cope from a guy that spent $650 on man’s biggest paperweight.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Hey Lifespan, everyone talks about Don vs. Phil but I also wonder how things were under Ballmer? Obviously Xbox wasn't the only thing that people were unhappy with under his leadership, and clearly things have been better under Satya. You're probably too low to have interacted with them at all, but how was the internal vibe? Clearly Phil had a lot to do with getting Satya to take Xbox seriously, but do you think such a thing could have happened under Ballmer?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is it true that phil loves lost odyssey and that it was free for a while on the store because of him

It doesn't look like he has time to game too much anymore, but the guy sincerely likes gaming so makes sense to me.

priznat posted:

Lifespan what was the deal with Mixer's demise from the Xbox side? Was there going to be more of a plan to integrate game streaming etc prior to its death or was it always sort of a weird anomaly off to the side, like a bullet point to match up with twitch/amazon.

This pretty much covers what I know. There were plenty more features in the pipeline, but:

Lifespan posted:

I wasn't involved, but that was definitely a hot button topic especially as the kids that founded Beam had their Lambos parked in the garage. My understanding is that Beam was a Twitch style steaming service with much lower latency during the time that Twitch Plays Pokemon was really taking off. Twitch sold to Amazon because they didn't want a platform specific platform that they would have with Microsoft and Sony, so MSFT bought the next best thing and invested further. Growth was super slow while Twitch grew like crazy without much investment, so eventually MSFT didn't see much cash in it and dropped it like a rock. That was one big downside with MSFT, they think in billions not millions, so if you aren't making big cash you aren't worth the time.

Lammasu posted:

No idea, but probably has to do with its crazy background as people mentioned. I wouldn't be shocked if keeping it published with no revenue is some way of getting around some of those legal issues.

SpiderLink posted:

Thanks for all your great stories, Lifespan. Would it be all right if I posted this reply (with full credit of course) to another forum? I saw people who were pretty convinced a handheld was coming, so this might help. No worries if you'd rather not.

Go nuts, no credit needed. For more context, I would heavily point to xCloud and Game Pass PC. Xbox loses money on every console sold. If they can convince you to buy their services, games, and accessories without losing money on a console, that is a huge win. For that reason, I would never expect them to push expensive hardware outside of their established console market. Instead, they will continue to push xCloud (yes, I agree latency and all that) and Game Pass and let people bring their own portable devices (be it an iPhone or a Steam Deck or whatever is popular). Another important point that Xbox is definitely well aware of, the handheld market is filled with failed products that don't have the name Nintendo, and that includes the PS Vita which was an excellent little system. Too expensive, too volatile, not much upside, so I don't see it happening.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
I would have never found Omori if it weren’t for gamepass and I think that’s worth what I’ve paid for the subscription alone.

Stelio Kontos fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 7, 2022

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Seltzer posted:

I've always maintained the haptics and VR hype is massively overstated. I cynically believe the controller haptics was developed in part to use in marketing to convince people how "next gen" the PS5 is when both systems are really very similar and not huge upgrades over the last generation (especially the midgen consoles). Don't get me wrong the series X is a great step up from my one but there's less wow factor going from generation to generation now and the haptics and secret hyper SSD talk always seemed like Blast Processing type stuff to move units. I imagine the haptics get used for 1st party games and then slightly for 3rd party games where its easy (shooters, racers). I haven't used a ps5 controller myself but I can't see haptics being the big game changer it is marketed as. As for VR I have zero desire to own one even if I had the hardware for it and I enjoy games where it would theoretically be cool (flight sim hitman etc). I'm sure its fun to try for a few minutes but I would never shell out the cash for one or use it much if I had it. Not a single person I know who plays games wants or has one either. I need to try the ps5 controller before I can speak with authority but Quick Resume, how MS handles cloud saves over generations, and Smart Delivery are cooler to me than a controller that massages fingers .

If Xbox ever decided to roll out a controller with improved HD haptics, it would actually be a great thing for Sony. Third party developers have to view the cost/reward for everything and supporting something that is specific to one platform is automatically going to get knocked down the priority list. While I still prefer the layout and shape of the Series X|S controllers, the haptics on the DualSense really are something every gamer should try and I think they should be ubiquitous. I don't think it is specifically a "game changer", but it is a great feature that I hope everyone copies.

Original_Z posted:

Hey Lifespan, everyone talks about Don vs. Phil but I also wonder how things were under Ballmer? Obviously Xbox wasn't the only thing that people were unhappy with under his leadership, and clearly things have been better under Satya. You're probably too low to have interacted with them at all, but how was the internal vibe? Clearly Phil had a lot to do with getting Satya to take Xbox seriously, but do you think such a thing could have happened under Ballmer?

Good question. Ballmer was not as terrible a CEO as lot of people seem to make him out to be, but I also wouldn't call him a visionary or even that technically minded. He was a numbers guy which doesn't really translate to lots of things in tech, especially gaming where there is a ton of art and nuance. I don't believe he ever would have greenlit the Xbox (I think he said as much), so I doubt he would have adopted Phil as quickly as Satya which likely would have led to a smaller investment in gaming. On the flip side, I think Satya is the best CEO in tech and Xbox/gaming growing in to one of the major pillars at Microsoft really speaks to both his and Phil's excellent vision.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

hatty posted:

the XBOX controller only needs gyro and it'd be perfect. And I hope they never switch from AA batteries

Again... New to Xbox over here... What's the preferred battery setup?

Rechargeable AA batteries? One of these"battery packs"?

Will the controller charge rechargeable AA batteries?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Get some eneloops. Controller won’t recharge them.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Krime posted:

Again... New to Xbox over here... What's the preferred battery setup?

Rechargeable AA batteries? One of these"battery packs"?

Will the controller charge rechargeable AA batteries?

Yeah man, rechargeable AA batteries. Pack of 4xAA with the charger, so that whenever you pull dead batteries out of the controller you can grab a fresh pair from the charger immediately. This can be incredibly important in Elden Ring and other pauseless masterpieces

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
4 rechargeable AAs in a 2 in 2 out configuration and you’ll never worry about it again. Those custom branded 2pks are also acceptable if you only plan on using them in the controller and nothing else.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

hatty posted:

I disagree about the gyro, but agree completely on the external batteries. Here's another fun fact, last I heard the customer sentiment on built in rechargeable vs replaceable was statistically 50/50. As long as it is cheaper to produce a controller with battery bays vs one with a battery and recharge circuitry, I fully expect Xbox to stick with them. In other news, I went to play my PS5 last week and the controller was totally dead. So I put it on the charger and switched over to my XSX with some fresh Eneloops, which has happened many times.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Lifespan posted:

For that reason, I would never expect them to push expensive hardware outside of their established console market. Instead, they will continue to push xCloud (yes, I agree latency and all that) and Game Pass and let people bring their own portable devices (be it an iPhone or a Steam Deck or whatever is popular). Another important point that Xbox is definitely well aware of, the handheld market is filled with failed products that don't have the name Nintendo, and that includes the PS Vita which was an excellent little system. Too expensive, too volatile, not much upside, so I don't see it happening.

gently caress, does PC Gamepass work on a steamdeck now? That'd be a huge deal for me, personally...

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

External Organs posted:

gently caress, does PC Gamepass work on a steamdeck now? That'd be a huge deal for me, personally...

Not natively, only via xCloud or the wonky Windows support, but I am sure there is plenty of talk between Valve and Microsoft on how to improve that.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Any suggestions for easy achievments? I've gotten all the non grinding ones in Paw Patrol and I need three for the weekly rewards set.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Lammasu posted:

Any suggestions for easy achievments? I've gotten all the non grinding ones in Paw Patrol and I need three for the weekly rewards set.

True Achievements always has you covered for anything cheevo related:
https://www.trueachievements.com/n41688/xbox-game-pass-easy-achievements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Lifespan posted:

Not natively, only via xCloud or the wonky Windows support, but I am sure there is plenty of talk between Valve and Microsoft on how to improve that.

I'm outing myself here, but any idea why xCloud supports iOS but not macOS?